Cubs Tuesday Headlines: Dunh Dunh DUNH!!!!!

Cleveland Indians vs Chicago Cubs

Today is Tuesday, and that means today is the deadline for the Cubs to offer arbitration to their free agents, Rich Harden (yes, please), Kevin Gregg (for the love of GOD, NO) and our beloved REEDZ. For those of you who aren't sure what that means but are afraid to ask, Bruce Miles explains what this means:

As most of you know, tomorrow is the deadline for major-league teams to offer salary arbitration to their own free agents. As I've been saying since the end of the season, I don't expect the Cubs to offer arbitration to Rich Harden, Kevin Gregg or Reed Johnson. That doesn't mean the Cubs can't re-sign any of them (they're not interested in having Gregg back), but they just won't get draft-pick compensation if these free agents sign with another club.

There has been much debate lo these past few months about whether or not we should re-sign Rich Harden. While I think all the ladies (and 10% of the males) would love to see him back, it's not quite that simple.

Take it away, Bruce:

We've been back and forth on the Harden situation all off-season. As I've said, the numbers say you offer Harden arbitration, but we're not operating in a vacuum. The Cubs have raved about how pitching coach Larry Rothschild and trainer Mark O'Neal got Harden ready to start 26 times. In other words, Harden's troublesome right shoulder was a project. None of us has seen the MRIs, X-rays and doctors reports, but if there weren't issues that troubled the Cubs, offering arbitration would be a no-brainer. But it appears the Cubs feel there is enough concern about Harden's shoulder that they don't want to risk paying him $8 million to $10 million and risk having the darn thing blow out on them. My guess is that Harden will get no more than a one-year, and possibly a two-year, offer from some club out there. If there is no market, it's even possible he could come back to the Cubs on a one-year incentive-laden deal.

I completely agree with that analysis, though I do think that Ted Lilly's off-season shoulder surgery complicates this decision immensely. Frankly, I'd rather drop $8 million on Rich Harden than on a lot of the other names we've heard tossed around.

MLBtraderumors.com has a list of all the free agents and predictions about whether or not they'll be offered arbitration here.

Other than that, I can't even find a good Crazy Uncle Phil rumor to entertain you guys with this morning, so feel free to make something up.

Finally, in hilarious news this morning, MLB isn't too about the Grady Sizemore photos that are making their way around the internet tubes. Grady claims the photos were 'stolen' from his girlfriend's email account.

Funny how often that happens.

CLEVELAND (AP)--Major League Baseball officials have asked Internet sites to remove racy photographs of Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore(notes).

Sizemore said the photos--one of them showing him nearly nude--were stolen from his girlfriend's e-mail account and posted online. He contacted baseball officials to stop the spread of the photos, which began appearing Sunday on various Web sites.

It is not known how many sites are complying with MLB's request. At least one site, deadspin.com, is refusing to take the photos down.

Better go grab 'em while you still can.

Umbra said:

In other CN news, they had a list of the sexiest Chicago things.

Because I care about protecting the Children, I've reviewed the list so you don't have to. Notables include:

3. Chicago Bears Backup-QB Caleb Hanie.
18. The Chicago Cubs marquee.
22. Woman wearing a Wisconsin sweatshirt giving the camera the middle finger.
27. Mark DeRosa.
30. Deep Dish Pizza.

millertime said:

That deep dish pizza was incredibly sexy. Also, the author declared herself sexiest blogger.

Umbra said:

Now they're supporting online gambling. Chicago Now you dog.

millertime said:

For a second there, based on the Headline, I thought we had traded Milton Bradley for Adam Dunn.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I hate you for beating me in fantasy football this week.

millertime said:

"I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people."

I won this week! It was a miracle!

millertime said:

It's a Festivus Miracle!

Festivus isn't over until you pin me.

bleurgh is seriously the word for the day.

Only a few more days until the Winter Meetings start. Then we'll be able to report a crappy trade for Milton Bradley!

woohoo! I love crappy trades. It gives me lots to complain about.

Spring training starts like in a week or so...

The Cubs had better get the asses moving to get this team set up for 2010.

Oh, well, maybe it's a bit more than a week before spring training starts.

I'm not watching this team in 2010. I have enough stress in my life, and to maintain my sanity I've got to eliminate stress somewhere. This is what I've decided to do so I don't go on a machine gun spree.

Well, that's no fun.

its only Dec 1st, by Feb he'll be ready to watch for anything baseball related

*snort*

you're cute.

Dmband said:

"Im not watching this team anymore" and "Im never drinking again"...

are both lies I often utter...

So the Cubs are actually an addiction. I get it. I wonder if they make some sort of gum that you can chew that suppresses these urgings for Cubs baseball.

AndCounting said:

You're begging for a Wrigley joke, no?

no...I was more comparing the Cubs to cigarettes.

Yeah, me too.

BTW, I haven't had alcohol in like 3 days. Pretty amazing.

AndCounting said:

This is going to have to be one of those years when Hendry works some mid-season trade magic. I can live with that.

In previous years when that has happened, the Cubs have had more payroll flexibility. That probably won't be the case this coming season, as it was in 2009.

AndCounting said:

I don't think it takes payroll flexibility to work a trade mid-season because you're usually dealing with a team that can't afford to pay a player next year.

Dmband said:

Doc-

I think we have stumbled across yet another million dollar idea...some sort of patch...perhaps just simply an eye patch with a picture of Aaron Miles on the inside...to supress the urge...

Dmband said:

I think we should all pause for a second and truely think about what our pitching rotation is going to look like without Harden...questionable at BEST, and thats AFTER Lilly comes back...Hendry better have something up his sleeve or so help me god...

I've made this comment before...

I know Harden is a great talent and all...

But statistics show, he was our #5 starter this past season. While I think it would be likely he pitches better than Wells does in 2010, the truth is, I don't think we need him. Of course the Lilly injury does put a little bit of a crimp in the rotation, but I don't think the Cubs should spend $10 million on a #5 pitcher next year when starting pitching was probably the only thing on this team that actually wasn't a problem. Dempster, Lilly and Zambrano are a really good 1 thru 3 at the top of the rotation. The Cubs could probably get a solid #4 or 5 starter for far less money than they would have to pay Harden, if they want to go that route. Save that money for a leadoff hitter and second baseman. And maybe a bat for the bench.

millertime said:

Or, we don't trade Milton Bradley, and we keep Harden with the money we get to save from not being dumb. Because Harden has the potential to be an "ace" pitcher, and the season he had last season would put him towards the top of almost any other rotation in the National League. Top 30 in K/9, K/BB, ERA, and WHIP. And that's in a down year for him. He's only 29, and has shown good stretches of dominance. If you're going to chide the Cubs for signing players to big contracts after "career" years, why should we be so quick to dismiss a guy after a "down" year?

I understand that investing too much money into one position (SP) might make it difficult to acquire a leadoff hitter or a 2B. But I think Baker and Fontenot can platoon just fine at 2B. I think if the Cubs hold onto Bradley, they'll be fine as far as their lineup is concerned. Whoever they sign as a #4-#5 pitcher is going to be overpaid anyways, because that is how free agency works. It's more the norm to overpay players than it is to underpay them. The trick is overpaying for the right players, and I think Harden is one of those guys you go after. Having Harden is way more valuable then having to find another SP, 2B, and leadoff hitter.

Someone explain to me how keeping Milton Bradley saves money?

Umbra said:

Instead of paying Milton Bradley to play for another team AND paying his replacement, you just have to pay Milton Bradley.

AGREED.

That's assuming Milton being traded (a negative number) + money to the other team + salary of replacement is greater than Milton. At this point I don't think we can say that is the case for certain.

millertime said:

Just curious, how could that not be the case? How exactly do you see the whole Bradley thing working out?

Umbra said:

Milton is owed at least $21 million over the next two years. The Cubs might have to pay half of that (wild unsubstantiated guesstirumorate).

So if you find a CF or RF who'll play for less than $5 million a year, it might work out money-wise. But it might be hard to find.

cubby23(eric) said:

I know when healthy Harden is good to have, but he wasn't exactly lights out last season. I too, hope Hendry has some aces up his sleeves that we've yet to see. There's definitely a lot banking on Lilly being back 100%.

Sure he does! Aces like Aaron Miles and Kevin Gregg!

millertime said:

You forgot about Spellcheck!

He hasn't been around enough to be called an Ace yet.

Dmband said:

Thats the first, and last time the word Ace and Kevin Gregg will be used in the same sentence...god..those were terrible signings....

Seriously, though theyneed to get moving on some deals, more so to create some depth...Im all for waiting on the bigger name guys, but, as we all learned last year, its probably more important to have quality depth, particularly in the IF, in case of injury.

Aisle424 said:

That'll teach Grady Sizemore's girlfriend to have the password "gradysgrrl" for her e-mail account.

AndCounting said:

Personally, those pictures weren't really my cup of tea.

Giggle.

Dmband said:

Nows there's another girl coming out and saying she had an affair with Tiger and has texts, etc to prove it..

I dont know how I feel about all this...almost overnight, his entire life is ruined...granted he brought this on himself..but I really dont know how to feel about knowing every single girl he's cheated on his wife with...I mean, is that our business?

I don't think his personal life is anyone's business. My problem is that everyone else has to talk to the police after they drive like a maniac, he should have had to, too.

Umbra said:

Fifth Amendment?

Fifth Amendment applies when you're under arrest or being questioned. If the 5th Amendment doesn't save Martha Stewart from the bogus "lying to the FBI" charges, I shouldn't save Tiger from giving a statement to the police.

Anyway, he didn't invoke the 5th. He just said he wasn't talking. That would not be allowed from anyone other than Tiger Woods.

You know what? I'm *still* pissed about what they did to Martha Stewart. Maybe it's teh gay in me, I don't know.

Who wants to be in charge of collecting money for my bail fund? I have a judge threatening to hold me in contempt of court on Thursday morning.

Umbra said:

I HOLD MYSELF IN CONTEMPT!

I'm out of order, you're out of order, this whole system is out of order!!!!

I've always wanted to just have a complete public-defender breakdown at the bench. Maybe Thursday will be the day.

Umbra said:

You and Downey both live in the same dream world. It doesn't matter what I believe, it only matters what I can prove, so don't tell me what I know or don't know- I know the law!

you used italics and bold in that comment. neat.

millertime said:

Don't worry Julie. You'll only serve two days, the day you go in and the day you get out. Thug Life.

millertime said:

" Lisa, I don't need this. I swear to God, I do not need this right now, okay? I've got a judge that's just aching to throw me in jail. An idiot who wants to fight me for two hundred dollars. Slaughtered pigs. Giant loud whistles. I ain't slept in five days. I got no money, a dress code problem, AND a little murder case which, in the balance, holds the lives of two innocent kids. Not to mention your
[taps his foot]
BIOLOGICAL CLOCK - my career, your life, our marriage, and let me see, what else can we pile on? Is there any more SHIT we can pile on to the top of the outcome of this case? Is it possible?"

Only if I get to keep the money. And you stay in jail.

Dmband said:

Just as long as, at some point, you're carried out screaming, I'll put the SYSTEM on trial!

Yeah. . . hahaha. . . UHHHHHHHHH.

(eeek)

Dmband said:

Now, I dont know a whole lot about this stuff, but does anyone else see a problem with this:

Poison to stop carp creeping toward Great Lakes
Dec. 01, 2009
(AP) — State officials will use a new tool to keep the voracious and invasive Asian carp from reaching the Great Lakes. They plan to dump a toxic chemical into a nearly 6-mile stretch of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal.
Illinois Department of Natural Resources spokeswoman Stacey Solano says the fish toxin rotenone will be spread Wednesday evening near Lockport. Solano says by Thursday the poison should produce 200,000 pounds of fish carcasses, which will be taken to a landfill.

The poisoning is scheduled at the same time the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to deactivate an electronic barrier on the canal for maintenance. The barrier was designed to repel the carp by giving them a non-lethal jolt. "

Im sure that lethal poison wont find its way into our drinking water like all the prescriptions did?

Those Asian Carp are really nasty fish. Kill zem all!

Besides...all that water flows down to St. Louis. I don't see what the problem is here!

Umbra said:

"Incidents like the eastern Illinois spraying raise a question that is not only scientific but moral. The question is whether any civilization can wage relentless war on life without destroying itself, and without losing the right to be called civilized."

Dmband said: