Cubs Headlines for Thursday: A Very Special Christmas Eve Edition

Sydney Prepares For Christmas

I hope everyone had a splendid Festivus and managed to get all their grievances aired. Speaking of grievances, our very own Cubbiejulie had a fun encounter with Good Old Sully on Twitter last night. To begin, Sully tweeted:

Are the Cubs trying to send Zambrano a message? Why listen to offers for him if they know he won't waive no-trade clause? Interesting.

To which dearest Julie replied:

@PWSullivan No, it's NOT interesting. Stop with the yellow journalism.

Which was then snarkishly retweeted by one PWSullivan.
For everyone hoping to open a Matt Capps for Christmas this year, you'll have to join gravedigger in DC.

Free-agent reliever Matt Capps agreed to a deal with the Washington Nationals around 1 a.m. Eastern Time.

The Cubs had interest in Capps, who was the Pirates' closer since 1997, but the Tribune's Dave van Dyck reported earlier that Capps was believed to be leaning towards Washington and a chance to continue pitching the ninth inning. In Chicago, Capps would have been a set-up man for Carlos Marmol.

And finally, the postmortem of the would've-been-Zambrano-to-Yankees trade.

On the heels of an earlier New York Post report about the Yankees' interest in Zambrano, Daily News beat writer Mark Feinsand reports (via Twitter) that the Cubs were willing to take on the two-year, $8 million contract of left-handed pitcher Kei Igawa, but the two sides couldn't settle on a deal.

The Post reported Monday that  the Yankees were believed to have inquired about the Cubs' ace, but Zambrano's agent, Barry Praver, said he had heard nothing from Cubs general manager Jim Hendry.

Merry Christmas to all, unless you don't want to have a Merry Christmas.

You tell him, Julie.

God. What a mouthbreathing, dog humping fucktard.

FrankS said:

I dunno, Sully might be right that the Cubs are trying to send Carlos a message. Cubs management doesn't seem to communicate well with the players and often tries to send a message via the media or other means.

And you never know whether to believe an agent when he says that he and the player were never contacted regarding a no trade clause. An agent is always going to spin things in his player's best interest.

At any rate, if someone approaches the Cubs regarding Carlos or any other player, the Cubs are obligated to at least listen to those offers. If negotiations get serious, then you contact the agent and the player.

With all the question marks surrounding the Cubs' rotation, I'm not certain you could get enough for Carlos to pull the trigger on a trade.

But, with all that written, Sully does appear to be a jaggerass.

That all may be true, but I don't care. I hate him. With a passion. Honestly, I could just ignore him if he'd admit he was a columnist and not a beat writer. But the fact that he carries on the way he does and then claims to be an unbiased journalist makes me despise him immensely.

Perkins said:

Agreed. Paul Sullivan is a worthless piece of shit. That he still has a job at a newspaper is an indictment of that paper's ethical standards.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, the White House Christmas tree is really kind of ugly. It looks like a shiny cucumber that's starting to get moldy spots.

cubsforever said:

Another one bites the dust - Granderson - Cameron - Cabrera - Capps --- maybe we should not show interest in those players we really want and then we would get at least one of them. Now lets see - who is left that we "don't want - but really do"? WEll I guess that could include Doc H. from Toronto - whoops he is gone too. There hasn't been any talk about Roberts or Peavy this off-season - hmmmm. Let's see - anyone want Carl Crawford? Anyone want Hanley Rameriz (oh, that would be too confusing with one at 3rd and another at short). Anyone want Matt CAin? Anyone want Gil Meche? How about - Nolan Reimold? ---- Merry Christmas to all - and things have got to get better after tomorrow -- right?

LostinFla said:

Perhaps "no news is good news" in this case. I'm not really sure I want current Cubs' brass making personnel moves. At least they can't mess things up any further if they do nothing at all. Next year is already gone but if the only thing that happens by season's end is the departure of Hendry and Pinata, I mean, Piniella, then that's some tangible progress.

oog of ulams said:

Is it properly called progress if it leads to GM Steve Stone and manager Ryne Sandberg?

LostinFla said:

Well, I'm not sure if the Sandberg Express can be stopped (some cue about how well the Trammell experiment worked in Detroit should be sounding the klaxon now), but Stone as GM of the Cubs? That's fanfic!

oog of ulams said:

Hey, new owner's a fan. Got engaged or whatever in the bleachers. I'm sure he'd love to see Sandberg and Stone running this team. Fans will love it. And after all what they want matters most, right?

Oh gross I just puked in my mouth a little.

Actually, kind of a lot.

Why did this post again, 10 minutes later? God the mechanics of this site need some serious work.

I think the Cubs should have a blockbuster deal today, I'm bored

Not gonna happen. We're going to have to entertain ourselves.

are you going to sing or something?

You do not want that.

Oh hey, look. Corey Patterson is #4 on Jayson Stark's "Least Valuable Players of the 2000s" list. Neifi Perez is #10.

FrankS said:

Also to note that Milton Bradley is #7

lol... somehow, I totally missed that.

MLB.com says DeRosa has been asking teams for $10 million/yr.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I bet the Cubs sign him for $11 mil

And the Cubs backup plan for a setup man for Marmol is?

...

Matt Capps?
Oh. . . .nevermind.

Well I think the plan is to just assume Marmol is going to resume his 2008 form and we all don't have to worry about that. So, don't worry about that.

yeah! just like it worked for Kevin Gregg returning to form . . . from . . before he was in Florida. . .

Edelweiss said:

Looks like the big guy came up short in more ways than one!!

FrankS said:

Jeff Spellcheck?

I am so going to love the 2010 season, its like the Cubs are saying "no stay there and finish school, we'll see you in 2011"

Perkins said:

They don't need a backup plan because they're not going to contend. No sense in spending money on the bullpen when the more important parts of the roster aren't even in order.

cub legend said:

Jim Hendry better get his behind in gear and start getting some people to improve this team. It's like going Christmas shopping today. Not much left Jim. Has he signed Reed Johnson yet? Somebody else will soon. Are they serious about winning next year?
They better keep Z right here and try to get another quality starter.

This team is good enough to win the WS just as it is, the Rickettes said so.

Well...this team is pretty much the same team as in 2008 minus DeRosa and Wood. I think the could sign DeRosa, trade for Wood, and then sign Jim Edmonds some time in May and that will be an instant 97 wins in 2010, right?

Debating between putting up another fun gallery this afternoon, or figuring that no one will be around and just junking it until after Xmas.

I'm bored, and working, I say gallery

I'll be around alllllllllllllll afternoon.

:D

Eh. . . I would have had to do it already. And I didn't. :P

fine, then I'm bailing and going for a run

and wait patiently for the next installment

Star Wars original trilogy on Spike. Smell you guys later.

I don't like you anymore :(

Max Power said:

The site Sketchy Santas is pretty funny, but this photo in particular will make your holiday season bright.

Oh, Carl.

jtbwriter said:

Afternoon all from cool and clear So Cal....(sorry Chicago-you can have some of our sun if you like!)
All I want from Santa (okay, other then a gift card or two) is back up for Z, health for the remainder of the Cubs, and a winning year for "not a dragon" Lou! I'm not greedy!

Merry Christmas, Carl! Merry Christmas Movie House! Merry Christmas you wonderful old gravedigger! Merry Christmas LOHO! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Aww Merry Christmas crazy lady.

Max's question on watching "It's a Wonderful Life,": 'Is Violet a whore?'

Faith Plus 1 said:

Merry Christmas everyone! Miss you guys. Especially you Jules. See ya guys.

Merry Christmas!

Silly to miss us, we're just right here. ;)

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Merry Christmas! I got two snuggies! Yippee!

I got an IU Snuggie!!!!!

Rich C said:

Paul Sullivan is a hack. His writing has all the personality of a stop sign, and every Cub fan out there should be annoyed that he gets a check to spew the nonsense he does on a daily basis.

And he doesn't like me. Yet another black mark on his record.

Rich C said:

To know you is to love you, I guess. Having Paul Sullivan not like me isn't exactly something that I'd lose any sleep over. In fact, more often than not, it knowing the truth about someone that makes them not like us. We all know he's a spineless puppet and a worthless hack, so why would he like us?

Paul Sullivan reminds me of Les Nessman, only not quite as likeable or well read.

Spammers will be summarily executed.