Chicago Cubs Thursday Headlines: Nothing to See Here, Please Move Along

Winter Classic: Detroit Red Wings v Chicago Blackhawks
The rink will look like this, only outside Wrigley

Ever wanted to ice skate with Ryan Dempster and Tom Ricketts? Saturday might be your chance!

Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster will throw out the ceremonial first pitch on the ice Saturday to celebrate the grand opening of an ice skating rink next to Wrigley Field.

Dempster will be joined by 44th Ward Ald. Tom Tunney and Cubs owners Tom and Laura Ricketts for the festivities, expected to begin at 11 a.m. CT. Tim Mitchell, general superintendent of the Chicago Park District, was also scheduled to attend.

You could send Tom Ricketts into the boards and deliver a message: do something or else.

In unexciting rumorville, some lucky Cubs scout got to escape to South America in December. Unluckily for him, it was to scout Kelvim Escobar.

The Cubs sent a scout to watch Kelvim Escobar throw in Venezuela. The right-hander had surgery in 2008 to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder. He won 18 games in 2007 but has been limited to one game over the last two in the big leagues because of shoulder problems. Other teams watching Escobar throw included the Rays, Brewers, Giants, Pirates, Tigers, Mariners and A's.

Since that's the only rumor I could find today, our last story is a human interest piece. I'm sure you'll all be flushed with sentiment when you read this about Hee Seop Choi.

Former Cubs first baseman Hee Seop Choi (or Choi Hee-seop as he's known in his native Korea) credits a grueling seven-hour hike up and down a South Korean mountain with revitalizing his career, according to a story in the JoongAng Daily.

(snip)

He struggled it the Korean league for two years until he found Mount Seorak, which he credits for helping him lose 20 kilograms and turning his career around.

Choi batted .308 and hit 33 home runs and drove in 100 runs, helping Kia to the 2009 Korean Series title.

"When facing an opposing pitcher, I would think back to my first climb up Mount Seorak last year," Choi told the paper. "I had a near-death experience on the mountain and from that perspective, baseball was merely a game."

secdelahc said:

So, this ice rink is going to be right outside the park? I guess I'm a little bit confused, as I don't recall there being a whole lot of space there. Is it going to be a permanent structure? And if so, what do thye do with it in the summertime?

You Cubs fans, always wanting details and explanations. Can't you just be happy that the new owners gave you an ice rink? Why do you always have to question everything? It's like our players--you have 40 of them. Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and just be happy.

secdelahc said:

Shame on me for having the nerve to ask questions!

Two notes. First, I promise to behave myself today (fuck. I had to get that out of my system). Second, I actually did like the Hee Sop Choi story. It makes me want to climb a mountain. Or hike the Appalachian Trail. In a totally non-metaphorical way.

Umbra said:

Don't do it in the winter. If you have to, fly to Africa where it's warm year-round and build a bridge between the twin peaks of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Max Power said:

The building in which I work has screen in each elevator giving news, weather, and (of course) ads. One of the features is a "word of the day" - yesterday's word? Umbra.

so what does it mean?

isn't it the dark spot in an eclipse?

Umbra said:

Etymology: Latin
Date: 1638

1 : a shaded area
2 a : a conical shadow excluding all light from a given source; specifically : the conical part of the shadow of a celestial body excluding all light from the primary source b : the central dark part of a sunspot

Wow...you learn nothing every day. But I do tend to forget something every day.

Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out. Remember the time I took that home wine-making class and I forgot how to drive?

Why did he have a near-death experience climbing a mountain? Was he that out-of-shape?

Maybe he's just a good story teller.

I can't wait until the Ricketts announce that the ice rink next to Clark St. was such a rounding success that they will cancel plans to put up the triangle building on the site just so they can have the ice rink there every winter.

Dmband said:

I feel liked I missed something big yesterday and had trouble retracing what occured. This is what I've gathered so far:

A) People who drift over from the Trib are having a real hard time grasping the concept of this blog
B) Gravedigger dropped more F bombs in one day than I have perhaps in my life
C)The Cubs still haven't done anything of consequence and I have now resorted to several Xanax each morning before I read the paper.

Honestly, Hee-Seop, hitting .309 in the Korean league isn't really that great. That translates to hitting about .187 in the National League (or .093 in the AL). But I'm happy that you're happy, Big Choi.

Hee hee hee.

So, Chris Henry died. That's sad and I feel for his family and teammates.

But I'm a morbid person, and I simply have to ask. What happens if you have him on your fantasy team?

(I understand he's been injured, but still)

Maybe don't jump into the back of your gf's truck like a psychopath after a fight and that doesn't happen.

thisyearcub said:

And, if you're the crazy-ass girl, maybe don't gun the accelerator and speed away knowing your fiancee is in the bed of the truck.

A sad situation overall down here.

Maybe he's the one who was crazy. Just because he plays pro sports doesn't mean he's not an ass.

FrankS said:

Chris Henry was such a jerk that the Bengals released him at one point. He had been suspended on five occasions. Getting released proved to be an epiphany and the Bengals owner brought him back, although the head coach and teammates didn't want him back. He had managed to stay out of trouble for a year and a half, then he broke his arm in a game last month. Apparently this caused another change in Henry's demeanor.

It's still damn sad. I read one report that he had three children. They'll never see their father again. And you always hope that people get a chance to get their lives together and be productive members of society. Henry isn't going to get that chance now.

thisyearcub said:

No. Trust me, with this circus that's gone on down here since the accident yesterday, I can truthfully tell you that this was a shared relationship of craziness. It's gotta suck to be that girl though...

I guess that's kind of my point. Everyone on Twitter is blaming the chick. He's the dumbass that wouldn't let her leave and jumped in the back of her truck. It does seem mutually crazy.

HoboHanson said:

In defense of the dead, I don't think anyone really knows that he was restraining her in any way. That was an idea tossed out by some random commenter somewhere sometime that people are holding on to.

But both folks are to blame.
And it is a bummer.

Yabbut, when someone leaves an argument, let them go. Chasing after them and jumping into the back of their truck is creepy.

AndCounting said:

So the guy who died after hopping into the bed of a pickup should have seen it coming, but the guy who almost died while climbing a 5,600-foot mountain has some explaining to do? Granted, my fear of heights far outweighs my fear of pickup trucks, but I'm pretty sure we part ways when it comes to our understandings of danger.

Umbra said:

You have pointed out the first logical mistake in the history of LOHO.

Post of the fucking day.

God dammit. Sorry for the "fuck."

Umbra said:

Keep digging, gravedigger.

Edelweiss said:

Since it is an enjoyable activity, and something most of the world participates in, I wonder why it got to be a bad word. I can understand "shit", because it is disgusting and smelly, and no one likes it.

i didn't say he had explaining to do, i just wondered if he almost fell or what.

Well that's good, since he's not going to be doing much explaining anymore.

AndCounting said:

I was looking for a better way of stating that, but I had Ricky Riccardo on the brain for some reason. My best guess is that he ran into Kerry Wood.

Paving the way for Eric Karros to climb the mountain!

LostinFla said:

A story about an ice-skating rink being built next to (or perhaps in) Wrigley Field sounds like something picked up from The Onion, but, Good Lord, it's really true. At least the rink should force the long overdue placement of some "Danger: Thin Ice" signs in the vicinity of the stadium.

It is rather Onion-esque.

Dmband said:

"Can I refill your egg nog for you? Get you something to eat?....Drive you out to the middle of nowhere, leave you for dead?"

cubsforever said:

If the Cubbies left Fukodome in center and resigned Andre Dawson in right (or Keith Moreland) - wouldn't that count as a positive sign for 2010? (Notice I did not say Stan Mikita or Bobby Hull - given the attention given to the ice skating rink.)

Umbra said:

I say build the hockey rink in right and leave it there for baseball season. Then hire Adam Burish to be the new RF.

Obstructions are part of the field. Play the boards!

I don't understand your reference, but anyway. It wouldj't be any worse than that stupid hill in Houstonl.

I agree. I think it's a great idea. We can put and actual hockey game in the rink and if an OFer gets killed going for the ball, so be it.

I would watch a game with Stan Mikita in right field

I'm drunk at work. Julie, you should probably go on ahead and ban me for a few hours. ;)

I love seeing my tax dollars so hard at work. You make me want to join the teabaggers.

Ah come on, it was an office holiday party.

Unlike my old government job, I work hard at this one.

I'm so glad Matt Nathanson is finally getting national air play. I love this song:

The Secret Santa gift exchange at my office party led to tears and shouting. It was awesome.

Now THAT's the kind of thing I like my tax dollars to contribute to. Tell.

HoboHanson said:

Anyone talk about this new committee that has been formed to fix baseball? Maybe I missed that discussion. I will backtrack and see. Wait...No I won't. Let's just talk about it again. Wait...I gotta go to work. You guys talk about it and I will then read and respond to it when I return to internet land at 2am. I'm hoping for some actual changes.

Um. . . it sounds like they put a whole bunch of morans on the committee, so I really don't think much will happen. Phil Rogers thinks it could lead to trashing the DH, which would be awesome.

I look at this as more of a beginning to finalize the merging of the NL and AL into one league. This process started back when the umpires were merged into a single group, then the league presidents were eliminated. Then, of course, there is inter-league play.

Selig is looking for one thing to ultimately be remembered for as commissioner. And I think he is trying to make that one thing the merging of the two leagues into one league.

The biggest thing that is preventing that right now is the DH. Both leagues need to have the same rules before they could merge.

But the players' union is so pro-DH that it will be really hard for it ever to be eliminated.

Okay you guys, I'm trying to figure out how to make stupid snowflake ornaments out of pipecleaners and I suck at it. My kids deserve so much better.

pipecleaners?

um...don't you usually make snowflakes by folding paper in quarters and using scissors?

these are FANCY snowflakes.

gah.

wake me up when spring training starts.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I didn't know they even made pipe cleaners anymore. Are they made solely for crafts?

they are made for college professors as well.

they make the craft ones, and they make real ones, which I used for class...in grad school...and they loved it

AndCounting said:

How do you do all that and still find time to bake?

Maim said:

Hey. A lot of things were said here that I missed. I was going to reply to some of it, but probably no one will read it now that it's too late.

Oh, go ahead. The most interesting posters haven't even woken up yet.

AndCounting said:

Go ahead. Knock that tree down in the forest. No one's around to hear.

FrankS said:

Almost 8am and still waiting for the morning headlines...