Cubs Wednesday Headlines: Uh. . . What's Up With All The Pirates?

Pittsburgh Pirates Photo Day
They say that no news is good news. I think they can shove it. When there's no real news, we end up with stories like John Grabow trying to seduce Matt Capps to come to Chicago. You might remember that they were once teammates in Pittsburgh, and Grabow thinks it would be swell to have Capps joining him in the Cubs' dugout.

"I basically told him about the organization and how the guys are in the clubhouse," Grabow said Tuesday from his Arizona home. "If he comes to the Cubs, he's coming to a contender."

Grabow is expected to make a decision between the Cubs and Nationals today. Why would he pick the Nats? Apparently they want him to close. But Grabow has a witty rejoinder in response to that:

"I told him, if you come to the Cubs, you might not close right away, but things happen," Grabow said. "[Capps] is a great guy. He'll take the ball every single day. He's a bulldog. He's the sort of guy you want in your bullpen."

Grabow wasn't too concerned about Capps' 5.80 ERA this past season with the Pirates.

"I think he's going to bounce back this year," the lefty said.

I guess that wasn't really a witty rejoinder. My bad.

In this week's "Batting Around" segment on Cubs.com, we get to know a little more about Aramis Ramirez.

MLB.com: When you were growing up, was there a player you idolized?

Ramirez: There was a player I followed when I was young, George Bell. He was the best Dominican player back then.

Thankfully, he turned out to be a little better than George Bell was for the Cubs. The next answer might catch you off guard:

MLB.com: If you could trade places with someone on the Cubs for a day, who would it be?

Ramirez: I'd like to trade places with somebody fast. I want to know what it feels like to be fast and steal bases. I'd say Sam Fuld. I'd like to know what it's like to be a fast guy.

And because I like food and have space to fill, we'll look at the comfort food question:

MLB.com: Is there a comfort food you crave?

Ramirez: Rice and beans, chicken, pork chops. That's what we eat in the Dominican.

the rumors have definitely taking a downturn if now the big one is Matt Capps

Seriously.

Hey guys, I'm headed downtown for some Christmas cheer today, so I won't be back until this evening. Be good!

fuck all that noise

AndCounting said:

If you could trade places with someone on the Cubs for a day, who would it be?

I'd like to trade places with somebody fast. I want to know what it's like to be fast and steal bases. [em]So I guess no one.[/em]

Fixed.

AndCounting said:

Clearly I've been commenting on too many blogs. I can't remember which bracket is which.

Every time I read something from Aramis, I love him more and more.

Grabow might not be concerned about Capps' 5.80 ERA. But Jim Hendry should be.

cub legend said:

I heard a rumor on the SCORE that Felix Pie might be coming back to the Cubs. Please!! That can't be true. I think the O's probably just want to get rid of him. We need to get a real center fielder.

FrankS said:

Felix was fairly good for Baltimore. He had a 99 OPS+ which puts at league average. He hit .266 but had less than 300 at bats. He won't turn 25 until this February so he is still young and could improve significantly over the next 4 or 5 seasons. I don't know if he can hit lefties though.

Umbra said:

Also, he has plus defense at a premium defensive position. I don't mind if the Cubs trade prospects, but at least get something in return. Didn't they basically move him so they could get Heilman? Add that to the list of bad moves.

The List
1. Milton Bradley for Carlos Silva. (I don't want to go down the Bradley Apologists Road again. Even the rabid team chemistry obsessed Milton haters will agree that more could have been done.)
2. Aaron Miles.
3. Aaron Heilman.
4. Getting rid of Wuertz.
5. Getting rid of Chad Gaudin.

FrankS said:

Signing Alfonso Soriano as a center fielder.
Getting rid of Marquis for Luis Vizcaino whom the Cubs released at the cost of $3.5 million.

FrankS said:

And the reason I listed Soriano is that Hendry signed him to be the answer to the black hole in center field. Here we are 3 years later and Hendry is still trying to fix that position. So not only did Hendry out-bid himself for Fonsie, but he also targeted him for a position he had never played before and soon had to be moved out of.

Umbra said:

It's moves like that that really make you scratch your head. If they knew they weren't going to keep Harden, then he could have gone to the Twins in September. Or they could have offered him arbitration and then gotten draft picks. Instead they did none of those things, and are left with nothing in return.

tom said:

He cant hit righties either.Great defensively but cannot hit major league pitching or for that matter minor league either

Agreed. But he's an upgrade from Sam Fuld, who seems to be our current CFer (shudders).

was that a real rumor? or Julie calling in trying to get Pie back on the team

tom said:

Anything you hear on the score is just that ,a rumorThe score is the national enquirer of radio

It's just hilarious that Phil Rogers completely pulls this rumor out of his ass (what he said was "it's unclear whether the Cubs would be interested in bringing back Felix Pie"), and somewhow it turned into a full-fledged rumor. Ridiculous.

tom said:

Thats where Phil rodgers pulls all of his stories from.He calls it mr rogers neighborhood

jtbwriter said:

Happy day-before-Christmas from cold and windy So Cal....

I don't think Pie was that bad.... but rumors are only good as the outlet spewing them! I'd rather have Capps.

I'm on my way to finish shopping...hope Julie left me some stuff to buy! And remember-Santa knows when you've been bad or good!

Santa doesn't exist.

Happy Festivus?

I don't know, I kind of just prefer not to believe in anything. I don't even being in nothingness. Or anythingness.

AndCounting said:

If the Cubs get Pie back for minimal damage (and I guess you could call enduring a year of Aaron Heilman "minimal damage") it would be a pretty sweet move on Jim Hendry's part all told. He wasn't going to get regular playing time with the Cubs last year, and he would have had to clear waivers if they sent him to the minors. If Pie comes back with nearly a full season of regular playing time under his belt, Hendry has basically used Baltimore as his personal farm team. Not the worst outcome.

It's not set-your-pants-on-fire fantastic, either, but it's something.

I feel similarly.

And to be totally honest, Pie > Byrd, Ankiel, Podsednik, etc.

LostinFla said:

Perhaps the Cubs should save time and trade themselves for the Pirates straight up. But, wait. Let's see. The Pirates were 62-99 last year so maybe trying to grab every Pirate isn't the greatest idea. Especially ones from the pitching staff.

Still, I like the Pirates outfield much more than Cubs: McCutchen, Garrett Jones and Milledge. Milledge is probably another toolsy Corey, but he may develop where Corey didn't. I'd be more interested in following that potential than signing Marlon Byrd for an outfield spot which looks ordained to happen now that even Melky Cabrera is gone. But at least "The Byrd will be the word" in 2010, the year the Cubs make contact...

Ha. This was my thought today as well. Then I decided that this is what the Bears should do. Just trade the whole franchise for like, the Ravens or something. We'll of coursse PRETEND they're the Bears as soon as they get here. Kind of like when Seymour Skinner switched places with Armand Tanzarian. It's the ultimate "change of scenary" trade.

Rich C said:

Yay! Matt Capps! Not quite as bad as Kevin Gregg!! Whoo-Hoo!

What happened to the recent comments thing?

AndCounting said:

I think it shows up only on the front page. Is it gone from there, too?

AndCounting said:

It is gone. Boo.

CN just keeps getting better and better.

cubsforever said:

We all will feel the same - lousy - about rumors - even when we create some of our own - until announcements are made. If the first one is Capps - the so be it. I am agreement that we never should have dumped Gaudin and Wuertz and even Scott Eyre to think of it all at once - but especially Wuertz. I still want another starter - I don't know why every one seems to think we have enough - whether Lilly is late in coming back or not. Pie - maybe he will be a different flavor this time - but I don't want him as number one CF. Known available players are still there - FA or trades - another one that comes to mind is Dan Uggla from Florida - another good trading buddy of Jim's - he has the Orioles - the A's - the Pirates - and the Marlins - the Rangers - So if they sign Byrd and Capps - trade for Pie and Uggla - and bring back Reed Johnson - and take a chance on Ben Sheets ---- hey - I just did Jim's job for him for the winter. (And I didn't even mention Derosa this time around.) Wouldn't we all be pretty happy instead of moping around writing all this stuff? So we would have Theriot - Fukodome - Lee - Ramirez - Byrd - Soriano - Uggla - Soto. Baker and Fontenot and Hill and Pie and Johnson off the bench - 5 pretty darn good starters (Lilly - Dempster - Sheets - Zambrano - Wells - and relievers of Marmol - Grabow - Capps - Marshall - Hi Ho Silva (?) - Gorzelany (trade bait) - Zamardzija - Caridad - Guzman. I actually could live with this. Merry Christmas to me - Merry Christmas to Me ---

Umbra said:

I'd like to see the Cubs give a chance to Ben Sheets, too. There's a guy with a lot of upside that you could get on the cheap. If he works out, great, if not the contract isn't an albatross. Also, having Sheets on the team would drive my Wisconsin roommates completely insane. So do it.

As for Dan Uggla, I still refer to all errors as 'Ugglas' after he booted two routine balls in the All-Star Game. So I may be a bit biased. But I also think that Fontenot will have a rebound year, and if you platoon him with Baker it will be ok.

millertime said:

Sheets is looking for $12 Million.

millertime said:

But he is expected to come down from that number.

AndCounting said:

And I expect him to get injured making his descent.

Post of the day.

So help me, if we give Sheets anything more than $1-3 million after we let Harden walk I will have my torch and pitchfork ready.

TOM COTNER said:

AS FAR AS JOHN GRABOW TRYING TO WOO MATT CAPPS TO THE CUBS FRIENDLY CONFINES GOES, IT IS A FACT THAT THIS GUY HAS BEEN A CUB KILLER IN THE PAST. AND HE HAS BEEN A VERY GOOD CLOSER IN THE PAST. SO IF I COULD GET THIS GUY FOR OUR NEW CLOSER, AS OPPOSED TO CARLOS MARMOL, WHO SHOULD REMAIN AS THE SET UP GUY, THEN I AM ALL FOR IT !!! YIKES, IT SEEMS LIKE THAT IS WHAT I SAID ABOUT THAT GOOFBALL WE HAD LAST SEASON FROM THE FLORIDA MARLINS !!! MAYBE WE COULD JUST GET HEATH BELL INSTEAD ???

smwojoz said:

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!
Seriously though, unlock the caps, you look like your trying to shout when you type in all caps.

Also, I believe the "Cubs killer" rationale was used to sign Jeff Blauser.

smwojoz said:

It seemed for awhile, that Hendry was intent on signing all the "cub killers" there were.

summerguy said:

I wish he would have when Soriano was a free agent... then we would have Carlos Lee and Adam Dunn in our outfield.

That would be the worst defensive outfield ever.

Death2FlyingThings said:

...and he was!

smwojoz said:

your should be you're, sorry diggity.

Damn right.

I'm finally home. And I'm frozen Julie on a stick.

AndCounting said:

Welcome back, Julie-pop.

Fire. Crudite. Blackhawks. Me=happy.

Check that.

For anyone who cares, I just almost DIED choking on a piece of cauliflower. :(

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I've never trusted crudite. On a happy note, I've got cream cheese brownies in the oven. I can't wait to eat them.

Hawks shut out Detroit again!