Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

Wisconsin vs. Northwestern
You may be wondering why there's a picture of Ryne Sandberg leading today's headlines. Is there some news of him? Is he trying another comeback? Did the Cubs name him heir apparent to Lou Piniella?

The answer to these questions is no, no and no. Ryne Sandberg is gracing our headlines today because he's wearing a shawl-collared sweater - a sweater so gay, even I wouldn't wear it. But Ryne, keep feeling secure in your masculinity. Maybe a day will come when every man feels comfortable wearing a shawl-collar.

As for actual Cubs news, even that which exists exists only to tell us that nothing has happened. Uncle Phil lets it be known that Curtis Granderson is still a Tiger. He then goes on to share information that we already knew.

MLB sources indicate that the Tigers are asking for multiple major-league-ready players to move Granderson or right-hander Edwin Jackson. The Cubs, according to team sources, would love to fill their center-field vacancy with Granderson, but aren't willing to part with top prospect Starlin Castro, a 19-year-old shortstop.

The Cubs would like to deal Milton Bradley before commiting to Granderson, as his addition would force Kosuke Fukudome to move to right field, Bradley's position. Talks are expected to heat up at next week's winter meetings, if not before.

I didn't think that it was "forcing" Fukudome to right. Haven't I been reading all offseason that once Bradley's gone, the Cubs feel more comfortable having Fukudome in right than in center?
In other news, the MLBPA is meeting in Arizona, and for the first time in a long time, Donald Fehr isn't there to make everyone look a little bit more handsome by comparison. Is the new executive director Michael Weiner, ready to make a big splash and go after the owners?

Scott Boras and other player agents cast a skeptical eye toward ownership about the lack of bidding on free agents, catching a whiff of the collusion era in the air. But the union isn't picking that fight, at least not yet.

"We will monitor the ongoing free agent market and make a decision some time in the spring about whether to continue with this grievance," Michael Weiner, who is beginning his term as executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, said Wednesday. "That is nothing I haven't said before."

Not quite yet, apparently. But the MLBPA and Bud Selig do have some common ground as both are interested in reducing the number of off days in the postseason. In addition to that, the MLBPA is interested in a seven-game series in the first round:

Among those, Weiner said, is a desire to extend the first round of the playoffs to a best-of-seven format while reducing the number of days off between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the World Series.

"Everybody's in agreement that the postseason schedule needs some adjustment," Weiner said.
(snip)
"There is a lot of sentiment for a seven-game division series," Weiner said. "I think a properly constructed postseason schedule could accommodate three seven-game series but still have it extend over a shorter period of time than what happened this year."
I like this idea, if only it means the Cubs won't so easily be swept next time they make the playoffs.

Umbra said:

Also, the Wisconsin Badgers beat the Duke Blue Devils last night. Bo knows basketball.

I love anytime Duke loses

but I wish Clemson could have not tanked

I

But as a person who went to UW-Platteville when Bo was coach there, I'm happy for him and the Badgers. Bo is a great coach who is often overlooked on the national scene.

um...what the hell happened to the first part of my message???

FrankS said:

ChicagoNow strikes again!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

One really great thing about the MLBPA is that they think I'm some kind of journalist. I got onto their press release email list somehow. Now all I need is a fedora and a note pad.

Cool! You can destroy the organization from within now!

secdelahc said:

And pretty soon, you will be wearing a shawl-collar sweater

AndCounting said:

Dude, you write headlines. How much more journalistic can you get? (Aside from the note pad and fedora . . . and a personal vendetta against one or more Cubs.)

millertime said:

Now instead of being part of the mob, you get to be a leader of the Mob! Just tell us where to direct our flaming torches and pitchforks at!

millertime said:

Right now, the top story in my world reads something like this:

WI crushes Duke and secures the Big Ten the winners of the ACC/Big Ten challenge.

thisyearcub said:

Congrats Big Ten! One for 10 in the series. Guess they had to win sometime. Enjoy it this one year while the ACC is down. When guys like Kyrie Irving, Harrison Barnes and Seth Curry come into the conference, it's going to be ridiculous.

millertime said:

Big Ten is starting to get better. This isn't just a case of the ACC being "down" this year. It's more strange that it took the Big Ten this long to finally win the darn thing. Other than UNC and Duke, I don't see that many impressive teams in the ACC. UNC is probably one of the top 3 programs in college basketball. But Michigan State is a better program than Duke. Ohio State and Illinois have both been to the finals this past decade. WI is a strong program, Michigan is starting to get repectable again, and Indiana is starting to rebuild after some rough coaching troubles. Even Minnesota is starting to put together a good program under Tubby Smith.

I think overall the series is going to get a lot more competitive. There's just too much good coaching in both of these conferences. Except for Duke. Duke sucks.

I'm all for another college ball fan, but the ACC is more than Duke and UNC

and IU went to the finals in 02

millertime said:

Also, the Blackhawks locked up Toews, Kane, and Kieth for 5, 5, and 13 years respectively. If you like following good Chicago teams, follow the Blackhawks. It'll give you something to do while waiting for Spring Training.

AndCounting said:

They do look amazing, and it seems they'll be really good for quite some time. I'm kind of anxious to fast-forward to the playoffs. A friend of mine calls the NHL regular season "the longest training camp in all of sports." Gotta love a postseason that lasts for two full months. Seriously.

millertime said:

Ugh, I know. I like watching the Blackhawks, but living in Wisconsin means I get to see them 4 times during the regular season when they're on Versus or NBC. It's tough to follow day by day without actually seeing the games. Playoffs are way more fun.

But in a way, not getting to see the games lets me use my imagination. In my mind, the Blackhawks are an invincible Juggernaut, with the ability to breath fire and piss lava.

AndCounting said:

That would explain a lot about the crappy United Center ice.

Have you tried justin.tv?

millertime said:

I don't know what that is.

The Blackhawks are the Universe's way of trying to apologize to us for the Cubs.

Little Bear said:

What do we get for the Bears?

Dmband said:

I was a at the 11 round shootout at the UC couple nights back..they have done a lot with concessions & overall game experience there, great food, etc.....Mariotti was sitting right in front of me getting an ear full from several intoxicated fans...I actually felt bad for him, but them remembered some of the terrible columns he wrote for the Sun Times...

AndCounting said:

Anyone care to take bets on whether Julie gets held in contempt of court this morning? I'm putting the odds at even money.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

We've got an hour before we'll know. She told me if she's not back around noon to call the A-Team.

AndCounting said:

I feel pretty confident in assuming she didn't mean Aikman and Buck.

Really? That's exactly who I thought she meant.

There are unconfirmed reports that I'm not in jail.

AndCounting said:

I won't believe it until I hear it from Carl.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Julie is a free woman, and JUAN CASTRO OFFICIALLY PASSED HIS PHYSICAL

And if you think those two things aren't related, think again.

phillies80-08wschamps said:

UPDATE only a physical stands in the way a mere formality, of gold glover PLACIDO POLANCO signing w FIGHTIN PHILS 3 years 18 million thats 6 million a year for those chi-town einsteins that could not figure that out!!!!! I WILL KEEP CHI -TOWN INFORMED!!!!

phillies80-08wschamps said:

BREAKING NEWS JUAN CASTRO OFFICIALLY PASSED HIS PHYSICAL AND SIGNED HIS 1 YEAR CONTRACT W/PHILLIES A FINE UTILITY GUY, CAN PLAY ANY POSITION BUT CATCHER A GREAT GLOVE, TO GIVE UTLEY AND ROLLINS REST DURING SEASON!!!

THAT IS REALLY GOOD NEWS LETS ALL SHOUT ABOUT IT TOGETHER!!!

secdelahc said:

BECAUSE IT'S ABSOLUTELY SOMETHING THAT WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT SO LET'S KEEP TYPING AND HOPE THAT THERE IS SOME SORT OF QUALITY IN THE MUMBO-JUMBO!!!!

millertime said:

It actually is good news. For fans of any team other than the Phillies.

Polanco is 34. He OPSed .768 and .727 the last two years. His career OPS is .761. And he will somehow be paid $6 mil a year. For the next 3 years. For some perspective, he has a career OPS of 98 (read: just below average). He is towards the end of his career. And he is making twice the league average of $3 mil per year.

Should say OPS+ of 98.

phillies80-08wschamps said:

RITE HE IS 34 LAST YEAR PHILLIES SIGNED IBANEZ 3 YR DEAL WHAT DID HE DO 36 HRS AND OVER 90 RBIS EVERYBODY SAID HE WASOLD AGE IS ONLY A # ITS HOW YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY LOOK AT BRETT FARVE OH I BET THAT HITS A NERVE BEARS FAN, THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGNING ITS A GREAT SIGNING LOOK AT K-LAWS TOP 50 FREEAGENTS POLANCO IS THE #2 3B RITE BEHIND FIGGONS AND 12TH OVERALL SO GO TRADE BRADLY FOR BURELL FOR YOUR BIG MOVE OF THE YEAR AND FINISH 3RD IN DIV AND WAIT UNTIL 3066 AFTER YOUR DEAD FOR CUBS TO CONTEND AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jesus--what the hell is Ryno wearing?

More like what are YOU wearing.

I am wearing a skirt, tights, and a low-cut top, which may or may not have kept me out of jail.

Don't tease me.

You want to do Carl?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Most people do.

secdelahc said:

For some reason, this made me almost burst out in laughter. Which is not a good thing when I'm sitting in the front row and am supposed to be learning about business forecasting and stats...

No good rumors?

Heard one about your mom.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Jon Heyman of SI tweeted that Jason Marquis likely won't accept arbitration from the Rockies because he's pissy he didn't get to start in the postseason. All just a little bit of history repeating.

Is that like his third straight team that didn't start him in the post season?

*giggle*

double *giggle*

phillies80-08wschamps said:

ARE YOU A LESBIAN???? JUST CURIOUS DOUBLE GIGGLE!!

AndCounting said:

Can anybody guess without looking it up the last time Marquis didn't make the postseason? Right now I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess never even though I suspect it's way wrong.

AndCounting said:

Darn it all, I was right. Jason Marquis has never played for a team that didn't reach the postseason. Atlanta, St. Louis, the Cubs, and Colorado have all reached the playoffs every year he was on their teams.

What a piece of crap. I hope we don't get him back.

secdelahc said:

Is Jason Marquis the new Kenny Lofton? That's a scary thought.

maybe he has special powers to make people win, and when he gets left off the roster he gets mad and makes the team lose

AndCounting said:

Wow, it's true. I think the Braves, Cardinals, and Cubs all missed the postseason when he left and then made the postseason again and the Cardinals and Braves may have reached the postseason only after Marquis switched teams again. I gotta look into this.

AndCounting said:

Never mind. The above is false. My faith in my own wrongness has been restored.

What do Tiger Woods and a baby seal have in common?

They've both been clubbed by Norwegians.

Dmband said:

Is there a reason why I dont have the ability to "reply" to specific comments?

Its frustrating

try firefox

MillsChC said:

Ummm.. Carl? Ms. Huff would like a word with you.

Thanks for your time.

MillsChC said:

Well crapola... they shoulda never removed the "Beta" banner from CN's logo.

Here's the link for my intended funny above:

Man, seriously to your first comment there.

phillies80-08wschamps said:

BREAKING NEWS ITS OFFICIAL MY PHIGHTIN PHILS JUST SIGNED 3B GOLD GLOVER PLACIDO POLANCO 3YRS 18 MILLION NEXT UP HALLADAY FOR HAMELS AND ITS LEE AND HALLADAY AND EVERYDAY IS A GREAT DAY FOR PHILLIES FANS THAT IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

millertime said:

"Breaking News! It's official! The Philadelphia Phillies have signed 3rd Baseman and former Gold Glove winner Placido Polanco. Polanco has been signed to a 3 year, $18 Million contract. I am super excited about this for some reason. Next, I hope the the Blue Jays somehow decide to trade Roy Halladay to the Phillies for Cole Hamels. That would be good for the Phillies since they would have both Halladay and Lee. Boy, it sure is great being a Phillies fan right now!"

I believe that is what you are trying to say? I'm a little confused, I think you might be mistaking this Placido Polanco guy with someone else. Is there a different Placido Polanco who has won a gold glove that plays in MLB? Cause I think the Phillies signed the one that completly sucks now to a three year deal for $18 million.

Next up, the Phillies try to resign John Kruk!

phillies80-08wschamps said:

your an idiot, polanco is a gold glove winner look it up and a lifetime 290 hitter look it up, and only 34, look it up, ibaez is 38 signed by phils last year 36 homeruns 95 rbi look it up ibanez 4 years older than polanco look it uo, no one on cubs pitcher or position player would start on phillies the phillies are great and possiblty a dynasty in the making and cubs are the clippers,browns, nets,nationals,lions, and you are a complete cubs yuppie clueless moron LOOK IT UP!!!!!

millertime said:

You're right. I'm the moron here.

MillsChC said:

"Your an idiot"

I don't think I'll ever get tired of getting a laugh at this tried & true phrase common to blogs/message boards all over the internets.

Your right.

Dmband said:

GREAT NEWS! WE ALL CARE ABOUT PLACIDO POLANCO! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TELLING US THAT...I CAN NOW GO ON WITH MY DAY!!!! THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE...I WAS SO CONCERNED ABOUT THAT I CANT EVEN TELL YOU. SERIOUSLY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT HERE AT A CUBS BLOG

phillies80-08wschamps said:

i guess you would rather hear about the pathedic cub not winning a ws since 1904, im bored of that fact is cubs will not win a ws in this millenum #s dont lie!!!!!!!!

MillsChC said:

Damn you Hazel Mae for interrupting my enjoyment of the 1994 All-Star Game with some irrelevant press conference about some Phillies' signing ... I missed an entire half-inning of Jimmy Key on the mound.. Damn you to hell!

phillies80-08wschamps said:

perhaps you would rather see, mitch williams, or the other male mlb channel guys, for me seeing hazel may and those beutiful legs is a pleasure 24-7, i guess you are what you are a chi-town cubs fan flamer!!!! do me a favor you and the other flamers that do not emjoy the pleasure of seeing hazel may anytime of day stay in chi-town !

millertime said:

You sir, are a delight. If only there were more fans like you.

MillsChC said:

*sigh - it's times like these when I long for the days when this was a site that no one knew about.

secdelahc said:

(like)

canopygrl said:

Was wondering how long that would take...

millertime said:

VERONICA CORNINGSTONE AND I HAD SEX, AND NOW WE ARE IN LOVE!

Did I say that loud?

secdelahc said:

Yes, and very loudly, too!

CubsColts2010 said:

millertime like cubbiejulie said ..justin.tv.. but go to www.addfoot.com.. you can watch darn near any event on there..shh dont go tellin everyone about this site..

Sweet, thanks!

cubby23(eric) said:

Jake Fox and Aaron Miles were dealt to Oakland for 3 young players...Bruce Levine reported this on ESPN 1000 a few minutes ago.

secdelahc said:

And this team just got better by getting rid of Miles. Hooray!

MillsChC said:

Really?... and so goes all the laughs I've had here at Miles expense... gone the way of the likes of Neifi & Ronny.

Stinks about Jake though... he sorta seemed like he was just getting a hold of actually playing a position... sorta.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Excellent news! There's a headline on ESPN Chicago's website, "Cubs trade Fox, Miles to A's for Gray, two minor-leaguers". There's no further story, and I'm not sure who Gray is, but he's not Aaron Miles.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Looking at the A's roster, I'm assuming it's Jeff Gray. Right handed reliever, 24 games, 3.78 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, .278 BAA.

cubby23(eric) said:

It's been updated, Gray is already on the 40-man roster, and the other details as per Bruce Levine...

The two minor-leaguers are RHP Ronny Morla and (left handed OF)Matt Spencer.

The Cubs will absorb $1 million of the $2.7 million owed to Miles.