Chicago Cubs Headlines for Sunday: The Road Ahead

US Waives Laws To Accelerate Completion Of Border Fence
I always assumed the road ahead would be paved, but apparently it's gravel

Gordo gives us his road map for the days to come, but there's nothing novel here.

Some believe the team will strike quickly to fill their two primary needs -- center field and setup reliever -- now that the dust and specifics have settled on a Bradley move that was months in coming.

If so, that likely would mean a deal with recently non-tendered Pittsburgh Pirates closer Matt Capps, who appears to be moving on a fast timeline and makes no secret of his affection for the Cubs.

The Cubs also are high on Texas Rangers free agent Marlon Byrd among a handful of center-field possibilities. And Byrd has made it clear he's at least as high on them, particularly in conversations with new Cubs hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo, Byrd's old Rangers coach.

With Carlos Silva in the fold, names like Matt Capps don't frighten me nearly as much. We know there will be free agents, but could Hendry have a trade up his sleeve?

Hendry said he has received calls in the last week from teams wanting to discuss trade possibilities that might fill some of the Cubs' needs.

The New York Yankees could have a surplus of talent in center field after making the recent trade for the Detroit Tigers' Curtis Granderson -- maybe Melky Cabrera. The Cubs still have Scott Podsednik and Rick Ankiel on their radar for center.

For the record, last year's OPS for those three center fielders:

• Melky Cabrera: .752
  • Scott Podsednik: .764
  • Rick Ankiel: .672
Since it's Sunday, Uncle Phil's been hearing whispers again! He's got an idea as to what the Cubs are doing with their Carlos Silva Christmas money.

The Cubs still could make a splash this winter. They are in a big group of teams that is exploring a deal with Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman , who had a tryout last weekend in Houston. He's a potential front-of-the-rotation starter and could get to the big leagues in a hurry.

Ryan Dempster attended the opening of the just-outside-Wrigley skating rink yesterday. Either the cold was getting to him or he was high. (Click on the link to see a picture of Ryan Dempster on skates throwing the opening pitch to Stan Mikita.)

"I'm happy for him that he got a fresh start," Dempster said of Bradley. "Hopefully he does really well and just enjoys playing. For us, we have a guy who's capable of eating innings when he's healthy, and it sounds like he is.

"I know (Silva's) a really good guy. A lot of guys speak very highly of him. (The trade) definitely helps our team."

cubsforever said:

Millertime doesn't want to pay $3.0 mil for Reed as the 4th outfielder - same thinking as Hendry who didn't want to pay Derosa $4 mil as 2nd, 3rd, 1st, RF, LF - ummmm - why don't I agree. 33 is not old - the Red Sox signed Scutaro for much more and he is older - Ibanez was much older last year and the Phillies made off like a bandit. We need a mix of talent - but we need class guys WITH talent - and I would rather have Johnson coming off the bency and starting once in a while than others on the market. Melky Cabrera is interesting - but Like Cano, I am not sure I likehis attitude. If I truly had a wihs list - and I do - it would be Carl Crawford. We need help at the front end of the order as well as defense in the outfield. Wells was great last year - but it is only one year - so I am nervous about the 4th and 5th starters too. One young pitcher at a time - unless we were talking Wood and Pryor - but even then they both were fragile. I like Garland and Sheets - but the money could get in the way. How come we haven't heard anything about another Oriole trade since Roberts is still there and they have a surplus of OF's. Capps is a no brainer to me - even though he won't close unless Mrmol decides walks are just as good as outs again.I just want this done in the next couple of weeks - we have waited long enough as Cub fans. We have a lot of young pitchers on the roster - certainly they should be worth something - as well as Blanco in the IN - if Castro and the youn 3b are really that good. Package deals - even to KC - whre they have two studs would be great too. Just don't give me another Posednik or Ankiel - enough is enough. And I still want Derosa - 2 years - $11/12 million - hey isn't the $11/12 mil the same as Bradley would have made??????

All of those CFs make my head hurt, but of the three, I guess I'd rather have Melky. Podsednik won't play with the slightest ache or pain and I don't want Ankiel.

Melky, Byrd, Gardner, Coco...they are all about the same player. Anyone else (Pods, Ankiel...etc) would be a step down. The Cubs need to examine which of these players (Coco is probably gone now) would be the best value. I would say that if the Cubs were to trade for Cabrera for players like Fuld and Hufflepuff, I'd go for it.

The question I have a Melky is why would the Yankees trade him? They are a little short on outfielders.

Byrd is still the most likely of the bunch. His negative is that he's right handed while the Cubs really need a lefty in their lineup.

Um...Britney Murphy is dead? I saw this on Huffington Post, so I guess it's true. Well if she is dead, it's about 3 years after her career died.

Waaaaaaay too skinny.

waaaaaaaaay too heroiney.

i'm now awaiting the lifetime movie "Dying To Be Thin: The Brittany Murphy Story," with Jodi Sweetin as Brittany Murphy.

Jodi Sweetin...waaaaaaaaaaaay too breast implanty.

you're right. it'll be one of the olsen twins. possibly both.

Oh..so it's going to be an animated movie. Because those Olsen twins are basically just cartoon characters.

smwojoz said:

IS she the one who recently admitted a meth addiction, or am I getting my late 80's early 90's child stars confused.

yes. She was pretty messed up. And now she's telling the world about it...which only means that she's back on the stuff.

smwojoz said:

Actually you're right, she did indeed relapse recently. You're good Doc.

meh--he's not good, he just watches TMZ

What is TMZ?

smwojoz said:

The Militarized Zone?

There is a website TMZ.com...it looks like a celebrity gossip site. I have no clue what TMZ stands for, though.

Oh..Wikipedia says..

"The letters TMZ stand for thirty-mile zone, referring to the "studio zone" within a thirty-mile (48.3 km) radius of the intersection of West Beverly Boulevard and North La Cienega Boulevard in Los Angeles."

You're dead to me, Chicago Bears. You broke my heart!

millertime said:

What heart?

MN Pat said:

Would you just do me a favor and beat the Vikings next week? Typically I wouldn't care who wins that game, but in this case I'll be rooting for the Bears.

FrankS said:

Unless the Vikings lay down (and it shouldn't because they still have a chance at home field advantage for the playoffs), it ain't happening.

yeah, we'd love to help you out, but our team stinks.

MN Pat said:

If Carolina can beat them then you guys still have hope.

millertime said:

This is why people should start watching hockey.

We ARE watching hockey. I've been watching since last season. Is that the Hossa "Drop It Like It's Hot" goal?

millertime said:

That one was "Leopold from the Blue Line!" I believe.

I root for the Hawks, but those calls are the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. I could listen to those calls all day.

FrankS said:

That might be why people in Florida should start watching hockey. I'd much prefer to listen to Pat Foley. Oh, and thank God for Rocky Wirtz and the Blackhawks. They are taking the edge off another terrible Bears' performance.

Also, a sad farewell to an Indiana grad. Adawale Ogunleye suffered a broken leg in tonight's game and most likely will not be back with the Bears next season.

millertime said:

At least the Blackhawks are still crushing.

Edelweiss said:

A Cubs insider just moved into my building!!!! I will keep his name confidential, as I have with my other Cubs insider, but in this neighborhood, he is called "Twa". He doesn't have any Cubs gossip, right now, but he is very talkative. He is also very gorgeous, (Carl and Gravedigger.) Might be a very interesting spring and summer.

Did you seriously just tease with saying there's a hot guy, connected to the Cubs, and not going to share pictures? you SUCK!

Um, lol, did anyone read the caption to the picture in this thread?