Chicago Cubs Hangover Headlines for Sunday

Hungover ?

While I'm feeling like her, Jim Hendry's feeling giddy about the possibilities of trades at the Winter Meetings this year.

"I hope so," Hendry said of making more trades. "I always like the trade-market possibilities. I enjoy that part of it a lot. Plus, it gives you a chance, at least incrementally, to make your club better. We certainly have had enough time in the off-season to continue the process of evaluating where we can get a little better and where can eliminate some of the negatives and add to the areas where we can get better.

"From that part of it, I like it, just like the trade (last week), I think that's what a lot of the business is all about. There's no bad scenario for anyone in that trade. That's a good thing - good for players. It's good for the other team, too, good for us. That's what you like to do."

Sully says dealing Bradley is priority number one for Hendry.

Hendry declined to discuss Bradley's status specifically, though trading the $30 million malcontent is obviously Job No. 1.

"We've certainly had enough time in the offseason to continue the process of evaluating where we can get a little better and where we can eliminate some of the negatives," Hendry said.

Bradley's negativity makes him difficult to deal, and the $21 million remaining on his contract adds to the degree of difficulty. Tampa Bay and Texas remain the two most likely landing spots because both have managers who believe they can get Bradley to shut out the distractions that prevented him from succeeding in Chicago.

And Lou Piniella might want to stay beyond 2010.

''Let's just wait and see,'' Piniella said during a 1990 Reds team reunion in Cincinnati on his way to the winter meetings this week in Indianapolis. ''Look, I wouldn't manage this year if I didn't have the competitiveness and the desire to win. I look forward to this team bouncing back from last year and playing really, really well and giving ourselves a chance in postseason again.

''I don't know [what it would take to want to return]. I like to talk about our baseball team, our organization. I don't like to talk about myself. We'll see what happens. I enjoy what I do, and as long as the organization is pleased -- but let's see. I'm 66 years old. I'm no spring chicken.''

Paul Sullivan has completely given up on objectivity. They should just give him Rick Morrissey's column and hire someone with an ounce of journalistic integrity to cover the Cubs beat.

AndCounting said:

For real. So many comments about trading Milton being Job #1, yet it hasn't even been Job 1, 2, or 3. Hendry's already signed Grabow and dealt the two-headed Aaron monster. My favorite comment is Sullivan saying that two managers think they can "get Bradley to shut out the distractions that prevented him from succeeding in Chicago."

The biggest distraction was unprofessional, piece-of-crap behavior like yours, Sullivan. And it didn't prevent him from succeeding, it's just going to prevent him from staying. Dumb ass.

Rich C said:

I honestly can't understand how Paul Sullivan has a job. As witnessed by his banal and inane responses, it's obvious that he absolutely hates his "Ask Paul" column and those that read it. He seems to be yet another self-important sports journalism elitist who doesn't understand that there are thousands of other people within ten square miles who could do his job better than he currently does it.

While most readers I've talked to seem to share this opinion of his work, if you ask anyone at TribCo, they'll tell you that Sullivan is "a terrific reporter."

Rich C said:

People at the Sun Times professed loved for Mariotti, too.....until he left.

Edelweiss said:

Paul Sullivan keeps his job because he prints what the Cubs and Tribune want him to print. He is "embedded" with the team, but is given little information about what the teams' plans are. Have you ever noticed that some of the things he says 2 days in a row are contradictory? Since he knows everyone wants Bradley gone, he says unloading him is a # 1 priority. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. If Sully were ever to reveal something the team wants kept under wraps, he would lose his position. So the Cubs either keep him in the dark, or he is smart enough to keep his mouth shut and write a boring column.

Does anyone remember the SNL skit Appalachain Emergency Room?

AndCounting said:

Not the writers, apparently.

should I?

Everyone should, because it was funnier than anything that's been on SNL in the last 5 years. I long for those days, as well as Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I do! I do! But the funniest thing on SNL in the last five years was Peyton Manning's United Way commercial.

OMG--I didn't know there was more than one! I'm trying to find the video of the one with Ben Affleck.

" . . . and all of a sudden, he started getting real mad at my ding dong. . . "

Listening to "Baby It's Cold Outside" on the way back from cutting down the Christmas Tree. Realistically speaking, what woman is trying to leave a fire, scotch, and Dean Martin? I call shenanigans on this song.

I'm back from my short vacation up north.

And we still have Bradley.

And I have less money.