Tuesday Cubs Headlines: Oh, Where to Start?

Hey kids, forget the Jonas Brothers, Len & Bob are coming back to the House of Blues!!!

(If this is our lead story, you can imagine what kind of Cubs news we have for you this morning).

Let's see . . . oh, here's something. It appears the San Francisco Giants have signed our beloved Mc Dreamy:

6:17pm: The Giants and Mark DeRosa are in agreement on a two-year deal believed to be worth $12MM, tweets SI's Jon Heyman.

Heyman adds that an agreement with Juan Uribe could be forthcoming as well.  Earlier this week we heard that the two sides were close to a one-year deal with a team option for 2011.

Ha--if we hadn't already made so many great off-season moves, I might be upset by this signing.

Good ol' Bruce Miles rightly claims his mantle as the most stats-literate beat writer in Chicago, reveals that he votes for no less than NINE HOF candidates, and tells us why Andre Dawson should be in the Hall:

He could make it this year after getting 67 percent of the vote last year. He had more than 2,700 hits to go along with 438 homers and 314 stolen bases. Dawson is one of six players with 300 homers and 300 steals and one of three players with 400 homers and 300 steals. He also won eight Gold Gloves.

Not the Hall of Stats: Dawson's critics point to his rather paltry .323 OBP and say he made too many outs. Fine. Few prepared for a game more diligently. As my colleague Fred Mitchell of the Trib pointed out, you had to see Dawson on a regular basis to see how good he really was.

Thanks to mlbtraderumors.com, I am free to go about my Contreras-free day without fear of what Hendry will do while I'm in court this morning:

8:30pm: A report from ChicagoBreakingSports.com notes that recent acquisition Carlos Silva will likely fill the role of long reliever for the club, making Contreras an unlikely fit in Chicago.  Furthermore, the 38-year-old will likely attract better offers from teams that see him as a starter.

As for Spilborghs, a major league source told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that reports of the Cubs' interest in him are overstated.  Renck's gut feeling tells him that the Rockies' asking price will be too high to get a deal done.

I have to say, of all the rumors I heard this off-season, the Jose Contreras-to-the-Cubs was my lease favorite. Who ever thought I'd be longing for the days of speculation about you, Matt Capps!

Speaking of the off-season, afraid you won't get a chance to tell the front office what a bang-up job they've done this off-season? Never fear! The Cubs Caravan is pulling their wagon train in to a Holiday Inn Express near you!

The annual Cubs Caravan will take place Jan. 13-14 and include several stops through out Chicago, including Elgin and Lake County.

The Caravan consists of two tours of Chicago Cubs players, coaches and front office staff visiting seven cities, six elementary schools, two Boys and Girls Clubs, Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital and a charity luncheon benefiting Chicago Cubs Charities.

The tour will also include stops at the Lincoln Library in Springfield, the USO of Illinois and the Peoria Chiefs' charity fan fest.

Of course, if you prefer to address management as a posse, you can always join me, flyball, and a host of other LOHO readers/Tweeps (sorry, Mark) at the Mid-Winter Meetup at the Cubs Convention this year. And you don't even have to buy a ticket to join us! Details here.

The Chicago Tribune has compiled a list of the Best Chicago Sports Games of the Decade. Oddily enough, Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS appears to be Number 1.

Um. . . really? Number 1?

Perhaps I am unclear as to how you are using the word "Best."

Because it's really freakin' cold today, and because I'll be in court all morning and not available to entertain you, let's entertain ourselves by discussing our favorite Cubs games of the decade. It could be a game you saw on TV, a game you were at, or a game you just heard about because you were passed out at Murphy's and never made it to the game. What are you favorte Cubs memories from the passed decade? For my part, I'll submit that it was watching Carl and Ozgreeder craft a crude backhoe out of cardboard hot dog carriers and bubble gum to retrieve a BP ball that had landed in the junipers out in CF. By the time Carl finally retrieved the ball, much to the chagrin of his upper-arm skin, 90% of the right-CF bleachers, including the security guards, were cheering for him.

FINALLY, a word on the Bears win last night. I find myself this morning torn between "Yes! Suck on that, FAV-RUH!!! Chi-ca-go! Chi-ca-go!" and "Wait a minute, does this mean you guys were able to do that all along? Son of a bitch!" Feel free to work out your own conflicted feelings on the Bears here.

I've got a date with my favorite Cook County Judge. Don't break the internet tubes while I'm gone.

Sting 10 said:

A very slow Cubs no news day on the way so how about a little game of let's play GM and make a trade. I would propose a trade involving th Padres and the Red Sox. The Padres send Adrian Gonzalez to the Cubs, the Cubs send D. Lee (who I persoanlly like, but business is busness) to the Red Sox and the Padres recieve (what they are wanting prospects which show promise)such as Josh Vitters, Clay Buckholtz and some AA or AAA pitching from either or both cubs/sox farm systems). This would give the Cubs the LH power stick they need plus get younger, this would give the Red Sox a seasoned and post season vetern @ 1st base which they need (plus this is a walk year for D Lee and the Sox may want to sign him for their DH next season whnen the alet D Ortiz walk) and in return the Padres obtain the younger players which they are wanting. Of course this is a from the outside looking in proposal so the younger players involved may change, but I think you get the jest of this proposal which (imo) looks like a win for each club.

May also consider a trade of D Lee to the Braves for outfileder M.Cabrera (and other considerations, maybe have to take a D Lowe contract in trade to keep the money close)but those would be the 2 principals.

Again just some random "how can the Cubs get better" via trade possiblities to ponder on a cold Chicago winter day.

Thoughts or other realistic ideas? Let's hear'em

I have no realistic ideas. I would like to trade Ryan Theriot for Hanley Ramirez.

Faith Plus 1 said:

And Chris Coghlan....and Ricky Nolasco

That list is stupid and irrelevant because it does not include Kerry Wood's 20k game. That is one of the best games of the decade regardless of geography. That's one of the best games of the century, regardless of geography.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Except it happened in 1998. Or is that the geography disclaimer?

Oh god dammit. LOL. I kept thinking it was 2001.

However, the list is still stupid for the reason Julie pointed out. Bringing up Game 6 as a "great game" is hurtful.

Perkins said:

Yeah, putting NLCS game 6 in there was stupid. Now, if they'd chosen 2003 NLDS game 5, I'd agree completely. Wood pitched a hell of a game there.

that was a fun game

Now THAT'S my favorite game of the decade.

but that game wasn't in this decade

It's kind of amazing to think that Kerry Wood has been around for 12 seasons. Where does the time go?

Perkins said:

If you put stock in Bill James's Game Score metric (I do), then it's the best-pitched regulation game in MLB history. Wood's game score was a 105. To put that in perespective, the next two on the list are Koufax's perfect game and one of Nolan Ryan's no-hitters (16K, 2BB) at 101.

Perkins said:

*perspective

My keyboard is obnoxious.

AndCounting said:

Things I remember most from that game: 1) I could see the movement on his pitches. I'm nearsighted, I didn't have my glasses, I was in the left-center bleachers, and I can never see breaking pitches break when I'm at Wrigley. But those pitches, I saw them break like frisbees. 2) The smack of his fastball hitting Sandy Martinez's glove was louder than than the crack of the bat hitting the ball (on those rare occasions when an Astro actually made contact). 3) The Astros looked like they had never played baseball before. It was other worldly.

Things I remember (since I can't help but always dwell on the negative)
1. The umpire had a HUGE strike zone (still, Kerry didn't necessarily need that)
2. Kevin Fucking Orie. that should have been a no hitter.

Perkins said:

Well, Wood's first pitch of the game nailed Jerry Meals straight in the face mask, so I was always impressed that the strike zone wasn't really tight. And yeah, Orie's play definitely should have been an error.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Do you think it's too late to make an official scorer's change?

Perkins said:

Heh, then they might also have to adjust CC's one-hitter from 2008.

Perkins said:

The copy of the game that I have is the Astros announcers' call, and it's really fun to hear. By about the 6th inning, it's like listening to a couple of kids watching baseball for the first time. Even though their team is getting mowed down, they understand the sheer ridiculousness of what's happening. It's really quite classy.

CubbieBlue4Eva said:

I would agree with you gravedigger if the story were about the 10 greatest games of the 90's but since its referring to this decade (I'm assuming since none on the list are from before 2000) the 20K gem doesn't fit the criteria.

Julie, the Bartman game is listed first but unless I am reading impaired there is no rating to the article. There is a poll, and from the responses the Bartman game rated #4, probably based on votes from Sox fans who get more pleasure out of the Cubs losing than they do from the Sox winning.

Yeah, I'm having a slow day. And I'm not even hungover.

Okay, but still. It wasn't a "great" game. Not by a longshot.

AndCounting said:

It was a great 7 1/3 innings. Best in my lifetime. But the game as a whole was horrific.

that game was one of the most depressing sporting events I've ever seen, probably #2 on the list, had I been there in person it would be #1

so I guess that makes it Best at something

hmmm...

I haven't heard any bull shit made up rumors about the Cubs today.

I'll start one, I hear that the Cubs are looking to make a 3 way trade with the Cardinals and the Yankees that would send Derrek Lee to New York and Ryan Theriot to St. Louis along with a PTBNL, the Yankees would send A-Rod to the Cardinals and Jeter would come to Chicago, and then Albert Pujols would come to the Cubs.

The final details involve how much money the Yankees will be sending along with Jeter to the Cubs...the Cubs are looking for about $15 million to offset the bloated salary of Jeter...but the Yankees are only willing to pay $14.5 million.

LostinFla said:

Great trade except that Pujols will FINALLY be revealed to be 6 years older than he claims to be and, at that age, will begin suffering from the same type of degenerative arthritic condition that ended Bo Jackson's career.

Jeter, on the other hand, is in fine shape; well, except for the fact that Minka Kelly will catch him shacked up with someone else during spring training in NAPLES and will bust his balls, leaving him unable to play the field for the remainder of the season...

Alex Quigley said:

Was I the only person in Chicago who thought the Bears could win last night's game?

--MGb said:

You may have been the only person who cared if they won...

Seriously.

Wha? No way--civic pride and all that. Besides, I'm married to a Vikings fan and I've grown sick of having to walk around the house with my tail between my legs.

Its hard to have civic pride when your team is fucking embarassing.

CubbieBlue4Eva said:

You have a tail???

Alex Quigley said:

Yep, those 63,000+ people at Soldier Field were obviously mock-cheering when DA caught the TD in OT.

Faith Plus 1 said:

or were they simply happier knowing that the game was finally over? Could also have been the resounding joy in knowing the Bears may actually win 7 games. Or the pure bliss in knowing the season is one step closer to being over.

I don't know.

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

*I* thought they could win, but I ALWAYS think they can win and it makes me look stupid. So I've just learned to keep it to myself. They could have played the '85 Bears last night and, deep down, I would have thought we had a chance.

I know I'm "out of character" saying this, and nobody will believe me, but I do genuinely feel the same way about the Cubs. That's why I follow them as closely as I do.

I don't feel nearly as strongly about the Bears. Don't know if its because I don't like football as much, or because I split loyalties with the Colts, but that's the way it is.

MN Pat said:

I didn't think they could win, but I'm so happy they did. As a Packer fan living in Minnesota I love seeing Favre lose, especially when it affects playoff seeds.

From the onion, made me lol:

KANSAS CITY, MO—During a Monday conference call with the media, Royals GM Dayton Moore confessed he had "no idea" he was permitted to make player transactions between baseball seasons. "I guess that makes sense. I was always a little surprised when teams came back the next spring with different players," said Moore, adding that he just assumed most teams made the last of their personnel decisions during Game 7 of the World Series. "I've already contacted the agents for Hideki Matsui and John Lackey to try and convince them to play here for free, and I'm working on a trade for Jason Varitek. He's got something to prove." Moore said the revelation that he would be working through the winter gave him all the more reason to look forward to his annual October vacation.

Faith Plus 1 said:

Jason Bay ----------> Mets for 4/64. You know, the same Mets that got burned on the Bernie Madoff shit. The Chicago Cubs have....well...signed John Grabow.

This is a rather huge head scratcher for me. For a team that had 478 people go on the DL last year, this seems like huge risk to be giving Bay this sort of money.

John Grabow will be the savior of this team! Just you wait!

cubsforever said:

IT may be time to take a closer look at all of the upstart young studs the Cubs seem to think are too great to trade. Unfortunately I am not aware of a great center fielder - a true lead off hitter - a 5th starter - or another John Grabow type middle to set-up reliever. So we continue to wait -----

MillsChC said:

That Len & Bob video made me feel awkward.

Maroussia said:

It will be great to watch NLCS: St. Louis Cardinals, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/NLCS_St_Louis_Cardinals-tickets looking forward to it.