Group Project! Monday Chicago Cubs Headlines/Cubs Mid-Winter Meetup

simpsons.jpg

I believe in asking for help when you need it. And today, I need your help.

Having giving Tiger a good run at the top of LOHO's content, it's time to get back to Cubs headlines.

If there are any.

So what I need each of you to do is to find a Cubs headline and add it to this diary. At the end of the day, we'll have a Headlines we can be proud of. Because we made it. Together.

My headline: Hey--going to Cubs Con this year? No? Well how do you feel about getting loaded at Kitty O'Shea's and then looking for management with torches and pitchforks?

LOHO will be hosting a Cubs Meetup/Tweetup at Kitty O'Shea's (in the Chicago Hilton and Towers 720 S. Michigan Ave) on Friday, January 15, 2010 from 7:00 pm until we either pass out or get arrested.

Check out the details and RSVP here. Everyone is invited!

Got your headline yet? You do? I knew I could count on you.

Go.

This isn't a Cubs headline, but is pretty awesome.

Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore has contacted investigators from Major League Baseball to stop publication of steamy photographs that he says were stolen from his girlfriend's e-mail account and then posted online.

And the funniest part of the article is a couple paragraphs down with this typo:

"With a rare combination of speed and Sizemore, acquired from Montreal in a 2002 trade, has developed into one of baseball's best all-around players..."

Hee. I also have a rare combination of speed and Sizemore.

BTW, if anyone can track down the photos, you know where to send them.

Deadspin posted the photos. . .

You're going to LOVE my new CN blog.

new CN blog?

Cmon dont leave me hanging.

Sorry. You'll have to wait like everyone else. :P

you're one of my least favorite people ever

I looked on my phone. I'd do him.

secdelahc said:

Me, three. My favorite is the strategically placed coffee mug one. Heh.

Yeah, the fact that he decided it was necessary to take naked photos of himself and put them on the internet earns him an automatic disqualification in my book.

Oh, and because of Max, of course.

i'm just saying he's hot. i don't want a relationship with him.

wait, he's got a lot of money, right? maybe i do.

You've ask a lot of us in the past...

But this might be too much.

Can we make up fake headlines? That might be our only hope here.

I am not going to attend a "Tweetup," because that name is stupid and makes me think of little canaries puking.

Actually, that is pretty much what is going to be happening, I'd assume.

Well then I'm definitely out.

You weren't coming anyway.

maybe i was.

How about this...

I'm not sure if this was reported here this weekend...

Saito???

while searching for headlines I found the following things reference or compared to the Cubs
-the 2009-2010 Bears
-the Big 10(11)'s streak in this week's basketball tournament
-the Blackhawks
-the Jets

blah

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Tom Ricketts and Crane Kenney are going to Florida. I wonder if they'll be plied with hookers?

I think that is a given...

The bigger issue is how many of them Naples will have available after each spring training game if the Cubs move there.

Dmband said:

Im going to Naples in January, I will do my best to research this and get back to you ASAP.

Not Cubs news but:

CHARLIE WEIS IS OUT!!!!!

WOOHOO!

Now I hope the bears don't make him offensive coordinator next yet.

Dmband said:

Yeah, he's vastly overrated. He rode the Patriots to a huge contract with the Irish, but as you can see, there has been NO drop off in the offensive production in New England since he left, which pretty much tells you he wasnt the main reason for thier success...

millertime said:

I'd say he's overrated, but probably in the same way that any good coordinator gets overrated. Mike Martz is another name I've heard come up for the Bears O-Coordinator job. Martz was around with St. Louis when they had the Greatest Show on Turf. Somehow he was able to generate points with an offense consistening of Orlando Pace(in his prime), Kurt Warner, Issaac Bruce, Tory Holt, and Marshal Faulk. I think it's hard to seperate a good Coordinator in the NFL from the talent they have playing for them. Coaches don't "create" good players, they just put them in the highest percentage position to succeed.

I don't think Weis would be terrible at O-Coordinator, but you're right that it's not like he'll reinvent the Bears' offense. Same for Martz. What the Bears really need to do is realize that they are in total rebuild mode. I still think Cutler is a QB that you can build around, and there are some good players worth keeping like Briggs, Forte, Urlacher, Tillman...maybe a couple others?

The next 2 seasons are basically going to be spent evaluating talent and deciding what "type" of team the Bears want to be (hopefully the decide on "Great"), and figuring out who to let go.

The good news is that when the Bears do draft players, they need so much help at every position, they could pick almost anybody and have that player come in and make an impact immediately, if they pick correctly. Unfortunately, this team seem to value players on their ability to jump out of swimming pools and land on their feet.

If the Bears spend 2 years evaluating talent, I'm afraid that there will be little left of Jay Cutler. He cannot continue to take beatings like he has this season. A quarterback's body can only handle some many hits before it starts to fail him.

He will be a shell of a man by 2012.

millertime said:

True. Also, there's a good chance that Cutler gets road out of town just like any other Chicago sports athlete that doesn't instantly produce championships. Plus, in 2 or 3 years, any good players the Bears have left on defense (Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman) will be at the end of their careers. The Defense needs some new blood to carry the torch. Hopefully that rookie safety can turn into something special. A "playmaker" if you will.

MillsChC said:

Looking for something funny in Cubs news, I went to Google News and typed in "Wacky Cubs Headline"

The only result was a list of Fox News' favorite magicians ever, which I present to you all now here.

I may have misunderstood the assignment.

never admit to misunderstanding the assignment, just use "I ignored the programmatic requirements"

millertime said:

Penn and Teller is one of my favorite acts.

Dmband said:

I agree, what really sucks is that its going to be tough to rebuild with no draft picks. And you're right, this current leadership has shown they cannot evaluate talent. For better or worse, they have to construct the team around Jay's strengths....

Not sure if you guys like hockey, but the Hawks are our best chance at a championship in this city any time soon....

ps. just reported Woods was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, no shoes in the car....that screams "I need to get the hell out of here FAST"....

millertime said:

I like hockey.

I would love to see Bears fans organize a hostile takeover and forcibly wrest this team away from the McCaskeys.

hear, hear.

In the latest Tiger news:

Tiger Woods has canceled plans to attend his own golf tournament in California because of injuries he suffered in a car crash, the golfer said in a statement.

Dmband said:

Something funny:

Several New Orleans businesses are closing early today in preparation for tonights big game against the Patriots...

Further proof that New Orleans loves to party..and Im jealous

New Orleans is awesome.

millertime said:

That reminds me, 2 more observations about the Bears:

1. I thought Jay Cutler played well last night. He played hard, and did about as good a job as he could considering the help he had around him. The interception that he threw trying to get the ball to Knox wasn't a bad a decision, it was more just missing on his pass, with the Vikings corner making a nice play. The other interception could have been called pass interference, and was a nice lucky break for the Vikings that the ball popped up into the air.

2. My dad, "You can't cover Percy Harvin with Hunter Hillenmyer".
Me, "Who can you cover with Hunter Hillenmyer?" I would trust Hillenmyer to cover...a RG?

AndCounting said:

I can't decide if this is positive or negative, but there's news out of Boston that the Red Sox won't pursue a Halladay deal. If the Red Sox are out of the running, the Cubs' chances improve from "getting eaten by feral kittens" to "getting struck by lightning thrice." They say the Blue Jays are asking for too much, which doesn't improve the odds for anyone.

If Halladay winds up a Yankee, that would be the worst news of all, however. I don't see how a rotation with CC and Doc (Halladay, not Blume) would fail to win another World Series or 6 in front of the offense the Bronx Bombers are sure to amass yet again.

You underestimate my fastball...the Yanks have been calling. I just like my current job too much.

Halladay is going to be a Yankee. We might as well stop talking about it. Trying to hold on to lost love only causes pain.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Someone on the radio made the excellent point that it's Johann Santana 2.0. No one's going to want to pony up a bunch of prospects then have to pay him $20 million the next year.

Dmband said:

Seriously, if he ends up on the Yankees, there is no reason to watch baseball this year.

Re: Cutler

He played Ok, and yes that was PI on that pick. No doubt about it....One thing I heard about Cutler that I did like was how hard he has been working...apparently, after the Niners game when the flight landed in Chicago at 5am, while all the other players went home, Cutler went to Lake Forest and watched tape...he also spent the entire month of July working with the WR's...a month typically used as vacation time...

My school of thought is, if he continues that work ethic, good things will happen...THEY HAVE TO!

well, the yankee's charter could crash into the rockies. just sayin.

A WHOPPER of a headline--TBS has fired Chip Caray!

"Chip Caray’s tenure as TBS’s lead major league baseball announcer ended Monday when he and the cable network agreed to part ways.

Caray’s high-volume style was mixed with a penchant for bad play calls, embellishments and factual errors. His best known incident occurred during the American League Central Division tie breaker between the Twins and the Tigers in October. He called an obvious lineout this way: “Line drive. Base hit. Caught out there. The runner tags. Throw to the plate. On target. And in time! A double play!”

haaaaa. love it. i'd forgotten how hard he blew until this year's playoffs. i think i actually yelled "SHUT THE FUCK UP" at the tv more at him than i do at joe morgan.

sigh, you're going to make me in a person who follows twitter aren't you, I will resist! I will prevail!

you'll thank me later.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I've been on board for a few months now and usually check it every two weeks. It's just too much information for me, and I'm only following 5 people.

secdelahc said:

I'm right there with you, flyball! I went and got on linked in, because they forced me to. But I refuse to join twitter! I will survive!

I too used to be like you. Now, if I had to drop a Social Media thingy, it would be FB. I live for Twitter.

secdelahc said:

I'm sure that if I weren't in school, I would probably be all gung ho about Twitter. But I just don't have time to do that along with everything else.

FrankS said:

Hey, our fearless leader who is a lawyer, wife and mother can find time so the time excuse just doesn't cut the mustard!!!!!

i finally gave up. if you enjoy obsessing over the minutia of people's lives, go for it. if you enjoy watching petty arguments in 140 characters, its perfect for you. if not, its boring, trite, and pointless.

Dmband said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That quote is the best....

I want to feel bad for Chip, but bottom line, he was flat out terrible...Another personal favorite of mine was when he said, "this was a game worth staying up late for"...it was 8pm.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

And the game when Soriano had 3 HR in Atlanta last year: "A cold wind blows from the north, and his name is Alfonso Soriano!"

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Exactly. And it was in June. Let me see if I can find some video.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I was wrong. It was from June 2007, and he says "An ill wind blows from the north and it's named Alfonso Soriano!"
It's in MLB's old video format, so go here and scroll down to June 8: CHC @ ATL "Soriano homers thrice"

summerguy said:

(sigh) When the Cubs were actually good...

oh...1908...I didn't know they had video from back then.

Dmband said:

BTW, what exactly does, "agreed to part ways" mean? Uh, yes, I agree with this firing. Thank you.

Gordo says Cubs not expected to offer arbitration to Harden (booo! BOOOOOO!) Gregg (yesssssssss!) or Johnson (um. . . what?).

secdelahc said:

What?!?!?! How can they not offer arbitration to Reedz? And if Harden isn't back, who the hell are we going to drool over next season? This really makes me want to storm management with my pitchfork in January!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Reedz isn't type A or type B, so there's no reason to offer him arbitration. I'd guess they'd like to sign him for less than what he might've made in arbitration.

secdelahc said:

Stop applying logic to my insensible ramblings!

millertime said:

Reedz is horrible. In no way should we spend a penny more than we have to on Reed Johnson. If he starts more than 30 games next season at any position we are doomed. DOOMED I SAY!

eh, its a doomed season anyway, at least field a team thats fun to look at

we've been over this. he's not hot.

I'm having fun with MNF tonight...New Orleans is for real.

I'm having more fun with Xmas Vacation.

"Save the neck for me."

Watched that on dvd the other night...

"I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, fore-fleshing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is. Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?"

are they beating the Pats?

yep...30-17 in the 3rd quarter.

love it. god i hate the patriots.

that's not saying much since you hate just about everything.

baturkey said: