Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

Students Compete For Honors At National Spelling Bee
GM meetings, look what you did to this poor girl

The GM meetings turned out to be a major snoozefest. But Jim Hendry seems to think it was all excitement, all the time:

"Last night, in an environment here at the hotel, I probably talked to seven or eight clubs, just the normal things," Hendry said Wednesday at the O'Hare Hilton. "Kind of the way I anticipated it. You feel like hopefully there's some business to be done in the next few weeks. Hopefully, you can do something before you get to Indianapolis (next month for the winter meetings).

"Like I've always said, we need a few moves. We don't need mega-moves. We feel there will be some things that will help some other clubs, but you just have to grind it out. I've had really good meetings. It was really a good environment after all. A lot of people were in the same spots, and it was easy to find guys to talk to."

Also in this article were news that Hendry's talking to John Grabow's agent and hasn't yet, but will be talking to Rich Harden's agent.

Mike Fontenot has received Super Two status, and surprisingly, it has nothing to do with his height.

Fontenot was able to get the last spot as part of the rules laid out in the 1990 labor agreement that stipulate that the top 17 percent of players with at least two and less than three years of service time are eligible for arbitration along with players with at least three years but less than six years of service.

Players such as Fontenot earn Super Two status and get an early start on arbitration, which can bring hefty raises.

Crazy Uncle Phil has put on his GM hat and has a few words of suggestion for Jim Hendry: YOU MUST TRADE FOR CURTIS GRANDERSON. And he uses exciting baseball clich├ęs in his argument.

But if the Tigers really are willing to trade the 28-year-old Granderson, a guy with old-school baseball skills and leadership traits off the charts, then the Cubs must do everything possible to get him.

Hear that? Old-school baseball skills and leadership traits! I think you guys are really going to like this next part, where Phil compares Granderson to the best player ever.

Sox GM Ken Williams ought to call and find out, but let's assume that answer is no. Cubs GM Jim Hendry would face no such barrier, and they absolutely should do everything they can to get Granderson, who last season supplemented a modest .249 batting average with 30 homers, 20 stolen bases and 91 runs scored.

As a left-handed hitter, he is a very nice fit for the Cubs. He has a very reasonable contract that, not including a 2013 option, is $23.75 million for three years. And as an intelligent, uncannily cool presence, he's the next best thing to Derek Jeter.

We know we'll never have Jeter, but we can have the next best thing! And Hendry should throw in whatever it takes to get him!

Hendry has been loath to trade prospects from his farm system, which rarely has generated a surplus of demand. But this is the time to play those cards.

If Dombrowski wants to talk about Carlos Marmol, potentially a closer for the next two or three years, and Starlin Castro, who could have a Shawon Dunston impact and tenure at shortstop, Hendry should be willing. Granderson -- at this point in his career -- is worth paying a huge price to get.

thisyearcub said:

No Granderson if it costs Castro.

thisyearcub said:

Fucking Chicago Now. Quit cutting off comments!

Here was the rest that was supposed to go along.

No Granderson if it costs Castro. Marmol seems a lot to put in as well. Who would close? Gregg? Maybe it would make way for that Wagner rumor.

Granderson is a solid player, and would be a good tradeoff for Bradley. I'm just not sure about throwing in a bunch of other guys.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Ooooh... and via MLBTR, Buster Olney reports that Mark Prior is throwing on flat ground and is going to audition for scouts.

Funny...it seems to me that this was his status at the start of spring training last year too. He never got to the towel throwing stage.

I'm at it again...

Trade Derrek Lee.

thisyearcub said:

If it nets Adrian Gonzalez, then yes.

AndCounting said:

Dammit all, I can't find the leadership charts on fangraphs.com. I wish I had Phil Rogers-type access to that stuff. And I wish he would post a friggin' link to the intelligent/cool index. I had no idea Granderson finished second on that list (Jeter's #1 status is obvious). I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I'd be willing to bet Granderson's hand-holding and long-walks-on-the-beach stats kick Jeter's ass.

The only real issue I have with Rogers here is his casual use of the "Shawon Dunston impact" descriptor. It is WAAAY too early in Castro's career to be tossing around deification terms willy nilly.

yeeeeeawn.

my thoughts exactly

the Granderson thing just doesn't get me riled up, it seems like a whole lotta talk on something that is a long shot at best, but then rumors are supposed to be things like tht right?

secdelahc said:

Yeah, maybe I would get excited if I thought this was actually a possibility. Other than that, yawn.

we need to go back to making our own rumors up, they are more fun

millertime said:

What if we traded Fox, Cashner, and Bradley to the Tigers for Granderson? If the Cubs are willing to pick up enough extra salary, this seems like an ok deal for both teams. Granderson and Bradley are basically the same hitter. So the Tigers get Milton's bat to replace Granderson's, Jake Fox to DH, and a possible future closer/power relief pitcher in Cashner. The Cubs get to feel good about having Bradley leave, and aren't suddenly forced to have Reed Johnson as a starting RF. If Detroit is smart, and Chicago makes it worth their while by taking lessening Detroit's payroll, they'll take this deal, since they don't really lose any production, and gain two extra players. And I think the Detroit market wouldn't be so bad for Bradley.

AndCounting said:

I say we trade for Burrell and then use alien technology to merge him and Kosuke Fukudome (with just a hint of dragon DNA) to make one kick-ass, fire-breathing player.

Dmband said:

Hey Guys-

I just read this from a couple days ago..

"One of the players had something very terrible happen to him early in the season but he didn't tell Lou, who didn't find out until August. That player,as well as several of his teammates had poor years, as a result. The reason was that because of their cultural beliefs, they considered the affected player a good luck charm, due to his unique physical characteristics. Some of them hit poorly, and one of them suffered an injury."

This is how Im interpreting this.....Clearly, Alfonso Soriano, accidentally killed a hooker at a bachelor party with the other players. They were all distraught by this, and having to cover it up, it drastically hindered thier ability to play baseball.

...cracked another case....

Wow, makes you wonder what the hell Aaron Miles did then.

Edelweiss said:

None of the players DID anything terrible; something terrible was done to one of the players, and not by another person connected to any MLB team. There...I've said enough, and even if someone tries to guess who or what, it won't be commented upon.

Here's an idea: How about if the Rickettses put us out of our misery and fold the team this offseason?

Then what the hell would I complain about? My life would be an empty shell.

ugh, I'd have to start liking soccer or something

Dmband said:

Oh Miles?

He wasnt even there. He's just bad at baseball...

I've often wished they would just fold up shop....

Then I remember how much I like the grilled hot dogs with onions you can get at that one stand, plus they leave out a bottle of celery salt, which is just fantastic...

Dammit, you guys...

This place is so dead that I've found myself posting over at ACB.

Get with the program, folks.

what do you want, its cold and dark outside, not exactly inspiring

did you catch the b-ball game the other night?

I don't know...the found something to bitch about over at ACB...you all should be able to do the same here? Right?

im sick

drinking too much again?

I wish. Seasonal sickness.

Yep...this is a rather sickening time of year.

secdelahc said:

I'm trying to do homework so as not to waste all that money I paid for tuition.

I knew this school thing was going to be a problem. It messes up everything we're trying to accomplish here.

secdelahc said:

It has unfortunately ruined my plans for world domination. But it's giving me a good network of people to advise me when I do take over the world.

Oh...

I thought I would be all you would ever need as far as advising about ruling the world.

*sigh*

secdelahc said:

Oh, doc... I thought you could see through my ploy. By advising, I mean that they would be our minions. We need some minions before we can take over the world, you know.