Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

San Francisco Giants v Oakland Athletics

Hooray! I slept in. That means we get to play headlines-as-we-go. That also means if I don't find anything, this is the headline.

Oh, goodie. I found something. Ted talks about his surgery, and answers Doc Blume's question:

"I initially wanted to try to avoid it, go into the off-season without having to do anything," Lilly said Wednesday by teleconference. "I figured it would get better. It did not, even after all the rest. I just didn't want to go into the season kind of doing what I was doing at the end of the year where I was missing starts."

(snip)

"If I would have known I'd be in this situation a month earlier and it wouldn't have gotten better, then I would have preferred to do it a month ago," he said. "If you're going to go out there and pitch, you're going to have to battle through discomfort and soreness. Sometimes they get better."

And Jim Hendry says there are no plans to wrangle a new starter to make up for Lilly missing any time:

"We haven't made any decisions yet on who's coming back or not from the club we ended the season with," Hendry said. "This wouldn't alter our plans about adding another starter because Lew Yocum is one of the best in the world. If he felt that ... if the rehab went according to plan, the way Ted goes about his business, there's a good possibility Ted will be pitching in April. We certainly don't want to take that spot away from Ted if he's ready."

Carrie Muskat gives us an update on some Cubs/Cub farmhands who are still playing:

Michael Brenly smacked a two-run homer in the Mesa Solar Sox's 8-5 win over the Peoria Javelinas in Arizona Fall League play Wednesday. Brenly is the son of Cubs television analyst Bob Brenly, and was a late add to the Mesa team, replacing catcher Welington Castillo. Mesa and Peoria meet again in Mesa on Thursday.

In Venezuela, Andres Blanco scored two runs and hit a double and Robinson Chirinos had one hit in Magallanes' 6-3 win over Margarita. In Mexico, Brad Snyder hda two hits, including his fourth home run, in Mexicali's 6-3 loss to Mazatlan. Matt Camp also had a hit, and was batting .351.

And finally, congrats to former Cub Joe Girardi for leading the Yankees to their bajillionth World Series title.

thisyearcub said:

27 championships is pretty friggin impressive. Empire State of Mind, indeed.

Best part was that Pedro looked like he could really care less.I'm sure Phils fans loved that.

Honestly, Pedro looked like he was going to throw up last night.

thisyearcub said:

He was just smiling along; I wonder if he even knew he was pitching in the WS?

He probably had a fever of about 115....

He did look like he had no idea where he was at.

Actually, I only saw him smile once last night and that was in the dugout when Chucky was talking to him after the 4th inning.

its so funny, because after his last start his half smile walking off the mound got a ridiculous amount of discussion and speculation from the Red Sox types, and mostly it was they took it as him recognizing it might be the last time he walks off the mound at Yankee Stadium

I think you can't read anything into it, especially with Pedro

thisyearcub said:

That's a good point...I think you're right, maybe he knew that was it. Fitting place to end his career.

Does he have Swine Flu or something?

I'm not sure. Did you ask his pig?

He totally did. He was all sweaty and pale. It was creepy.

you're too happy about this

thisyearcub said:

Well, my granddad is a Yankees fan, so I was happy for him. I was really happy for Teixiera to finally get a ring, I like watching him play. And for former Cubs Jerry Hairston Jr. and Chad Gaudin (and I think Mitre was on that team too).

Yanks had a solid team ... people can say all they want about buying a championship or whatever, but all they were doing was taking advantage of how MLB is right now.

Hopefully the Rickety Crickets were taking notes.

ok, the first part makes sense

fwiw I think its a little hypocritical to get upset at the Yankees high payroll if you're (and by you I mean fans in general) hoping the Cubs spend even more money this off season

Agreed, FB, agreed.

berselius said:

Agreed here too. Not to mention people who complain about the Yankees buying their championship when the Cubs have the third highest payroll, and certainly have the revenue streams/fanbase/market to be the in the top 5 teams resource-wise (Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, Cubs)

I did some research, and the Phillies were destined to lose...

The Ex-Cub factor was in the Yankees favor...

not counting coaches, the Yankees, by my count, had 2 ex-Cubs on their active roster, and 3 overall, while the Phillies had 3 on their active roster and 4 overall...

Yankees:
Hairston Jr.
Gaudin
Mitre

Phillies
Baco Taco
Ire
Escalator
Moyer

AndCounting said:

But it's not just taking advantage of the MLB structure (or capitalism in general). Derek Jeter, Jorge Pasada, Mariano Rivera, and Andy Pettite were all on the 2000 World Series championship team as well. Granted, Pettite left for awhile, but those are 4 home-grown players who are far more than just tertiary components or sentimental keepsakes. Those are products of the Yankee system, and instrumental figures in their success.

You could say other teams don't have the money to go out and buy CC, AJ, and Tex from the free-agent market, and that might be true. But it's also true that for most other teams, that wouldn't be enough to give them a championship. The Yankees are adding free agents to an undisputed rock-solid core of their own talent, whereas most teams use free agents to gloss over their mismatched milieux of misfits.

AndCounting said:

And that's only the four guys who were on the team in 2000. They obviously have many more good players from their own system who are quite a bit younger. My point is, they produce prospects with staying power and develop them appropriately. Most of the Cubs' top prospects don't last long within the system, it devastates me to admit, but . . . duh.

Paging Felix Pie. . .

berselius said:

They did develop a lot of that core, but to be fair the Yankees also had the money to keep them around. Their payroll gives them the latitude to make mistakes, but their management is a lot smarter than, say, the Mets

AndCounting said:

No question that gives them an advantage over a team like the A's who essentially gets to choose to keep one out of every 5-7 homegrown studs and trade the rest while they have value. But when the Yankees make a bad move and have to start from scratch, so to speak, they're starting with a pretty kick-ass base of players.

I'm also pretty sure that this would apply to just about any industry, but it has to be extremely more efficient to re-sign proven talent from within your system than to explore the free-agent market. When the Yanks extend Derek Jeter's contract, it's a no-brainer. When they go out and sign a free agent, there's always the question of how that guy will adjust to NY.

But, yeah, it helps to have money. But it's easier to get money when everyone knows you're the best. Ultimately, I just have to admit that the existence of the Yankees in MLB makes winning the World Series significant. Whether you play them head-to-head or just win it all in one of their off years, I don't think there's any such thing as a cheap World Series championship. The lack of parity adds meaning to winning that ugly trophy.

thisyearcub said:

All I'm saying is, technically, the Cubs HAVE money. Whether they want to use it is up to them. Rickety Crickets say they want to win a World Series, well, there's some guys out there that would help. Go get 'em.

this is where we disagree, I don't believe in the "because you can you should" mentality, and if everyone insists on having a ridiculous payroll I would much rather see the Cubs bring guys up through the system, or at least a the beginning of their careers and then pay them the big bucks later

berselius said:

We're not saying the Cubs shouldn't do that either. The point of having monetary resources is that you can develop players AND sign FAs. If it were so easy to just develop players and win with them you'd see the Pirates/Royals/etc. in the playoffs all the time. Money isn't everything, but you can't deny that it doesn't hurt to have it.

money is great to have, I wish I had it, but I have not been overly impressed with the large contract signings, but probably for the reason that it seems that at the highest levels the salary grows faster than the return of talent to the team and that at some point in a players career the team is actually paying the player for what was done earlier

but a lot of that is a general idea of the overall MLB player/contract structure

AndCounting said:

Well, I won't call any payroll ridiculous if the team is making enough money to pay for it. And when the Diamondbacks won in 2001, they didn't have enough money to pay for it, and I wouldn't call it ridiculous if the Cubs did the same thing. If there are free agents or trades that can help the Cubs' chances right now, let's do it.

I really know jack about the farm system question, but I presume that you need to invest more money and better strategy into the system. I would guess that success is part drafting and part development. But I'm guessing that people good at that stuff generally expect to be paid handsomely and that an overhaul of the development/scouting system wouldn't be cheap either.

I would hope (and I suspect) that the Ricketts won't favor free agents at the expense of the farm system or vice versa. But ultimately, if they have to club a baby seal to win a World Series, I'm willing to turn the other way.

berselius said:

An even better example than the 2001 Dbacks are the two Marlins WS teams. Talk about your fire sales

thisyearcub said:

97 days until spring training!

sigh
you're just all sorts of mean today

thisyearcub said:

I took that as good news...for some reason, 97 days seems right around the corner for me. Plus you'll have the Olympics to tide you over as well. U.S. and A!

I'm just happy the first exhibition basketball game was this week

What is this "basketball" you are talking about? I'm not really into these hip new activities that the kids are making up these days.

(Oh, and GO DUKE!)

tyc you're off the hook, my annoyance is officially redirected

AndCounting said:

Am I the only one who thinks the World Series trophy is the worst in sports? I just don't get it. It's hideous.

I like the way the little flags broke off when George dragged it around the parking lot behind his car.

AndCounting said:

Exactly. What other trophy would be so easily dismantled by Costanza?

'I am George Costanza. I fear no reprisals.'

hasn't the Stanley Cup been lost like 89 times? now there is a bad ass trophy

that's because they let all the players take it home with them!

yeah, thats pretty cool

I've gotten my picture taken twice with the Red Sox trophy, when they first won it and dragged it all around the place it was pretty fun to see people get all excited though, like going through security at the airport it has to be taken out of the case, and all of a sudden the random front office person carrying it around becomes the most popular person around, its cute

AndCounting said:

That's what happened to the Ark of the Covenant, too.

Did you guys know you can get LOHO swag? Neither did I until. . . well, just now.

Look!

I expect each of you to order a pin and wear it daily.

Ew, does it *have* to say chicagonow.com on it? Can't we have inaleagueofherown.com?

thisyearcub said:

It's all about branding, GD. Big Brother got to get theirs!

I love LOHO. CN has yet to grow on me.

thisyearcub said:

I'm waiting for the mousepad!

LOHO: The Flamethrower!

I'm still waiting to put the "I AM NOT A DRAGON" shirt on CafePress.

Why are you waiting?

Because I need someone to make the graphic (flyball made a rough draft, but I never saw it again!). And because I don't know how to do that.

I want it to look like the "Frankie Says Relax" shirts.

it doesn't really fit into that style though

If you cared about me, you would MAKE IT FIT.

do you still have the draft? thoughts? comments? any changes?

Dmband said:

This Lilly situation has been really pissing me off. Only the Cubs would be out of it from September on and have a guy get an operation in November. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I know he "thought" it was going to get better, but isnt that why there are doctors in the world? And they say he is going to return in April, but that means hes going to need another month AT LEAST to get back into the swing of things..

And if I hear the phrase, "The Yankees havent won the world series since 2000" again Im gonna lose it!

Sorry guys, just a little bitter today and that Lilly news just was the topper.

AndCounting said:

The team can't make a guy get surgery. And contrary to the Chuck-Norrisims, not even Ted Lilly wants to get cut open if he can avoid it. It's all very simple to want someone else to have surgery, but for the guy himself, if there's a way around surgery he'll take it. Most people are scared of surgery, and I doubt Ted Lilly is any different.

If there's one thing I've learned about baseball, it's that shoulders and elbows are tricky things. A guy can be in horrible pain, and they can open it up and find nothing. Another guy can feel okay, and it turns out his shoulder is in pieces.

If there's one guy on this team that I feel like would do whatever it takes to be ready to go on Opening Day, it's Ted Lilly. Therefore, I am choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

thisyearcub said:

Also, Ted Lilly is entering a contract year. He wants to make sure everything is in tip-top shape before going out. Lilly's will be looking for a contract that could take him into retirement, so having the surgery on the front end makes sense.

Dmband said:

I completely understand they cant force him.

However, seemingly, the Cubs have zero to no control over thier employees. It starts with people not being in shape, not listening when it comes to opertaions, training, etc. I think sometimes the cubs forget these guys are EMPLOYEES of the team. Not the other way around...

Now, his decision to wait just cost him possibly 2 starts at a minimum, not to mention the amount of time its going to take him to get back to regular season form.

berselius said:

The Cubs should just re-sign Mark Prior so they can learn what being an Employee is all about (dying laughing)

Speaking of Buttercup...is he officially done?

thisyearcub said:

Never, Doc. Where there is hope, there is Mark Prior and a simulated game.

And a towel.

Dmband said:

I think he might have something left in the tank. LOL.

To the guy's defense, he's probably drunk all the time, so he probably doesn't know the difference.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

And his last name is Duis. It has DUI right in it.

So the White Sox are out making trades and improving their team, while the Ricketteseseses are touring new ST facilities in Mesa.

And so it begins. . . .

TTH said:

Yes, because the team that hurries and makes the first move always succeeds.

Like year when a team quickly signed Bradley so they wouldn't have to settle for Abreu or Dunn.

Or that one time when a team quickly signed Alfonso Soriano and the poor, slow moving, lagging Phillies had to settle for Jason Werth

It's not about making the first move, but I'd rather hear that the Cubs are working the phones, looking for help in CF, etc, than that they're looking for a new place to play baseball for 6 weeeks every spring.

It's disturbing that we don't show up in anyone's rumor mill ANYWHERE.

a) two different people/departments do those jobs
b) they can do both at the same time
c) they're probably already doing both at the same time
d) hendry doesn't usually play out his dealings in the media

stop trying to make me look stupid with facts.

hendry doesn't play out his dealings in the media? didn't the entire world know he went out for a romantic candlelight dinner with Jenga?

thisyearcub said:

Disagree with that last part. If the Cubs sign Werth over Soriano, it's unlikely they win back-to-back division championships, at least giving them a shot at the WS.

I still don't think having Abreu or Dunn over Bradley would have improved this team enough this year to get to the playoffs, given everything else that went on and St. Louis' solid play.

I disagree with your last statement...

I honestly believe if the Cubs had someone else in right field at the beginning of the season last year, they likely would have not given the Cardinals the hope they had which pushed them to go out and add the players they did before the trade deadline.

But what do I know. I'm an idiot.

thisyearcub said:

Holliday certainly helped, but the Cards used incredible seasons by Carpenter/Wainwright and of course Pujols to mainly get to the playoffs.

All the Cubs' injuries and disappointing seasons from several players wouldn't have changed that. Holliday/Lugo were not worth 7.5 wins.

But in the end, Doc, you're right, we'll never truly know.

but would we be discussing the team eating a few million in contract

I think having Adam Dunn crush balls over the LF wall would have improved our chances tremendously.

thisyearcub said:

Looking at his WAR, if the Cubs would have signed Dunn they would have finished 5.5 games back instead of 7.5.Aall of his defensive mishaps might have been a wash.

what did he cost? and what would be the implications for next season's payroll?

if they are going to lose, I'd like to see them lose for cheaper

thisyearcub said:

Nationals gave him two years at $20 million. So he carries the same tag as Bradley, except one year less. It would have been a wash this year.

And who knows, Dunn could have probably talked the Cubs into 3/30. Doesn't seem to be that hard.

millertime said:

The Pirates are very good at losing for cheaper. Probably the best in baseball, really. I think it'd be hard for them to manage to spend less than they do right now.

The Cubs actually won more games then they lost this year. They should probably be at least .500 next year, if not playoff favorites. I don't understand why people were so negative about this year, other than the fact that the Cubs did not play up to potential. But in perspective, it's not like the Cubs sucked this year.

Toronto, Baltimore, White Sox, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Mets, Nats, Brew, Reds, Houston, Pirates, Padres, and Diamondbacks all had worse seasons.

Factor in injuries/improbably bad seasons, which isn't related to payroll at all, this team probably should have won the division.

So I know it sucks to pay a lot of money for players and not win the WS, but the alternative is to never go after FA, depend solely on your farm system, and hope you have a miracle year like the Marlins, Rays, or others.

I'd rather see my team spend competitively and win consistently than not spend money and win once every 30 years.

But see, this is the reason I don't like using stats in that way. And maybe I'm wrong and if I am feel free to tell me. But. . .

I don't think teams or players exsit in a vaccuum. I don't think you can just swap out one guy's stats for another's. I think that changing one thing (or one player) necessarily changes other things. Maybe whoever batted in front of Dunn would have seen better pitches. Maybe he would have been on-base more and there would have been someone for the guys behind him to bat-in. Maybe the constant distractions with the media wouldn't have been such a big deal (I know many of us here are of the "team chemistry doesn't matter" opinion, but I'm not. And, given some of the comments from guys on the team after Milton was sent home, I'm not so sure they are, either.) Maybe Dunn would have been on fire in April when everyone else was in the tank. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe hundred other little things would have changed.

I really don't think anyone can say. The only way to know for sure would be to go back and play the season over with Dunn in the lineup.

Let the flaming begin.

I hate you.

thisyearcub said:

While no one can say for sure either way, all I can do is present the statistics. There's some well-thought out analysis of Dunn in this post by Shawn Goldman, who is def. smarter than most.

If the Cubs would have signed Dunn, the lineup would have looked something like this in the middle.

3. Lee
4. Ramirez
5. Dunn

Maybe swapping out Dunn/Ramirez, but Lee has always excelled in the 3 spot, seems to be where he's most comfortable. It's hard to imagine him having a better year than he did, it didn't matter who he was batting behind. When Ramirez went down, somebody needed to step up. Bradley didn't. Would Dunn have? Possibly, but just as well he could have done the same as Bradley or worse.

And I really don't (and never have) bought into this "Cubs would have played better if Bradley wasn't here b/c he was a media distraction." Milton Bradley's clashes with the media did not result in Aramis Ramirez screwing his shoulder up, nor did it have an effect on disappointing seasons from Soriano, Soto and Fontenot. It did not make Ryan Dempster trip over the railing and break his toe.

Possibly the clubhouse would have been in a more jovial mood. But it sounded like Bradley kept to himself and everyone else went about their business anyway. It wasn't like he was yelling at Ryan Theriot to get his shit together or even punching a teammate (which Zambrano did on a division-winning team).

I'm not discounting your theory, because life is full of maybes. But taking a look at the big picture, seeing how well St. Louis played with a great pitching staff and the best player in baseball, it is just hard for me to say Adam Dunn over Milton Bradley would have been the key to winning the NL Central.

I'm not saying that, either. I guess my issue is that I don't know what goes into calculating WAR. Does it account for, like (hypothetically) Dunn having a higher OBP so the guys behind him have a chance to bat someone in and we score more runs?

thisyearcub said:

I don't think it gets into hypotheticals ... basically Bradley and Dunn averaged out to the same player (in baseball terms) this past season, with Dunn having a way worse defensive rating.

For a specific def. on how to calculate WAR, go here:

See, this is the issue I always get into with replacement stats. And maybe I'mn not thinking about it the right way.

For example, when people this season said Kerry Wood was no better than Gregg in Cleveland, I immediately thought "But it might be a different story if he were still here." Because I think attitude and comfort and confidence count for something in sports, like they do in every area of life. And when Kerry was our closer, I felt like he thought he was a badass. The fans loved him, the city loved him, he had swagger.

Then all of a sudden he's shipped off to Cleveland--who knows how much that affected him. Maybe he would have performed better if he were here.

But then you can say that about ANYONE who plays anywhere, and you can argue it down to the point where all stats are meaningless because their completely situational.

Does this make any sense? I think I just really over-think it.

thisyearcub said:

Possibly. I think overall, Wood would have had a slightly better year than Gregg in Chicago. But the Cubs would have had to give him a multi-year contract, and they saw his skills were diminishing. They took a chance on trying to save money with Gregg, it didn't work out, but it did open the door for Marmol to now come in as a younger arm. We'll see what happens.

He said afterwards he would have taken a one-year deal.

thisyearcub said:

This is a disputed statement. Hendry said at the Cubs convention that Wood's agents never told him that, that they were looking for a three-year deal. So if Wood did say that, it was after the fact and he should have communicated better w/ his agents.

It was after the fact. I think it was after he signed with Cleveland.

millertime said:

It makes sense, and I agree. I think chemistry, attitude, and comfort level all factor in to a players performance.

I just think that more of that performance is based on skill and luck, enough that even if a player is in the optimal "place", it will have at most a 5%-10% impact on his stats.

Put simply, Kerry Wood probably would have had a better season with the Cubs, but not 2.00 better ERA type better.

thisyearcub said:

Right. And not enough to factor into what the Cubs were trying to do at that point.

FrankS said:

Damn, Julie is channeling the spirit of Al Yellon!

Dmband said:

I get the impression that the Rickettsesess have a much longer term plan than some Cub fans may be wiling to tolerate. I get the distinct impression they are using this year as more of a "feeling out" period...with both Hendry and Lou being "lame ducks". I certainly hope that is not the case..

I love long term plans

me too...

Last year we did the "sign everyone we think we need right away and relax in January" approach.

This year maybe Jim Hendry should just take the next two months off, take a tour of Australia, come back in January and see who's left out there and sign those guys for about 80% less than you would have in November.

AndCounting said:

Yeah, it's like the people who waited in line to buy the iPhone for $600. If Hendry want's a cheap free agent, he's got to wait until at least the day after Thanksgiving, I don't care what tricks Kmart tries to play on him.

As a matter of principal I say no deals or Christmas decorations before Black Friday.

thisyearcub said:

Charles Murphy's plan is still ongoing. But be patient!

that would be an awesome t-shirt, too.

"The Chicago Cubs: Planning for the long-term since 1908."

That just gave me an idea.

Tomorrow afternoon, new Cubs motto contest. Start a-thinkin'.

thisyearcub said:

With Charles Murphy's pic on the back!

thisyearcub said:

Or we could update it to Charlie Murphy (which may upset some fans), but the quotes could be endless!

The milk's gone bad!

our "long term plan" started in 1908.

Dmband said:

That actually sounds like a legitimate strategy, Doc. I like it...

Long term plans are great, but the bottom line is, good GM's infuse young talent with veteran players along the way. That helps make the years "in transition" much more easy to bear because chances are you are still competitive. I hate to do this, but all you need to do is look at the South Side to see what a good GM can accomplish, so you dont end up with really bad long term deals on aging players and a farm system that is virtually empty of big leagure ready talent.

Dmband said:

And again, you guys are right, but who's fault is that (last years approach to FA)...its pretty apparent that was a knee jerk reaction to the early playoff exit.

Reason #189875 that Hendry needs to go.

Ok...I officially think the Bears need to dump Ron Turner.

For the last 5 years I have listened to the excuse from the offense that all the pieces are there, we just need to execute the plays better.

Well, this team finally has a quarterback that is quite good, and the receivers are actually playing fairly well...but the team's offense still has problems, and the excuse is that the team just needs to execute better.

You know what! Maybe the team just needs a new offensive scheme. Because this one doesn't seem to be working too well and hasn't for years. Why does this offense look just as shitty as it did with Orton back there?

Ok...sorry...back to the Jim Hendry bashing.

No kidding. He is TERRIBLE. His play-calling is the most unimaginative since the Bears' only play was "hand the ball to Walter Payton."

but that one worked

so true.

Honestly, it only worked one year.

but a good year that was

FrankS said:

Because the offensive line is a sieve! I think they should roll out Cutler more since he never seems to have a pocket to pass from anyway.

Rock Mamola said:

Would love to get the audience opinion on the NY Yankees. Why you all hate them so much.

Check out the Rock Report on ChicagoNow.com and let me know

-RoCk

It isn't hatred, it is jealousy. I can admit it. I wish my team would buy a World Series the way the Yankees do.

I'm not really jealous. I don't know why I hate them so much. I think it's a combination of Steinbrenner, Chicago always being "Second City" to NYC, the fact that their park is in the Bronx but no one that lives there can afford to go, ARod, Pettite and Clemens and the cheating, and THEN the money.

But I do love that they hired George Costanza.

Rock Mamola said:

I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld...

NEVER!!

Who are these people??

-RoCK

dude, now you have no credibility with me. what did you spend the 90s doing?

Rock is a White Sox fan...

He spend the decade drooling over photos of Frank Thomas.

I think Chicago is the "Third City" to NY and LA.

but thats not why Chicago is called the Second City

there was a city, it burned down, then they built a second one

that's why i put "Second City" in quotes. i mean in terms of sports--Chicago and NYC have always had a huge rivalry, and it seems like, more often than not, we wind up losing.

Rock Mamola said:

GraveDigger,

I agree. Whatever it takes to win, i'm fine with.

-RoCk

you should probably know a lot more about gravedigger before you start publicly supporting him.

shhhhhh

Dmband said:

Doc-

Whats even funnier is to hear people defend Turner. The offense has finished in the bottom half of the league every year during his tenure, with the possible exception of the SuperBowl season..I dont recall...

My nickname for Turner is "The Weatherman" because its the only other job I know that you can be consistently wrong, yet not get fired...

I particularly enjoy when they put of the picture of a cloud, rain, and the sun.

Yeah...that helps...

Im a big fan of Skilling though...that guy's the man.

I really don't really like Tom's brother, though.

Dmband said:

At least we can take some comfort in the fact that the Knicks would have won 1 if not 2 championships in the early 90's had it not been for #23....

SUCK ON THAT NEW YORK!

man...we really need another championship of some kind...I cant keep living in the past like that!

FrankS said:

Yeah, then some New Yorker has to remind us that MJ was born in Brooklyn.

AndCounting said:

I have GOT to remember to copy my posts before clicking "post comment," because CN sucks ass sometimes. Nothing like typing out some long-winded response and watching it disintegrate into a stupid, "Your submission failed because you need to log in," notification. I was logged in you soulless pile of suck!

I lost a couple of them today...but I was too lazy to redo them. Too bad...those post were gold too!

FrankS said:

Yeah, the ChicagoNow interface blows. Now that the Trib is no longer burdened with the Cubs, maybe they'll start improving things.

I noticed "soulless pile of suck" wasn't available on an of the CN swag.

LMAO!!!!!

Wow--maybe it's time to contact the tech people again.

AndCounting said:

Ed, you're my hero! Must. Have. Button.

OMG, seriously. One of the top 3 or so reasons why I'm having a hard time coming around to CN. That and they still give space to Kaplan.