Chicago Cubs Headlines for Monday

New England Patriots v Indianapolis Colts

Well, kids, I think we've finally done it. And by we, I mean me. Here at LOHO, we don't have a strong history of supporting winners. You may remember:

• 2007, 2008: Cubs win NL Central but fail to win a playoff game
  • 2009: Cubs don't even whiff playoffs
  • 2009: LOHO rents out its loyalty for playoffs, Minnesota Twins seek refund, LOHO has funds safely stashed in Cayman Islands
  • Every year since 1985-86: Bears disappoint

You also might remember that on yesterday's headlines thread, I posted a picture of one Peyton Manning.  It looked for most of Sunday night like I had infected the Indianapolis Colts with the LOHO losing streak. But I think the long winter of our discontent might be over. Last night, the Colts miraculously came back to defeat the Patriots.

Maybe it's just that I'm a winner, and when the rest of the blog throws itself behind a team, they lose (which is entirely possible, if not probable), but a team that was featured in LOHO's headlines won a big game. I think this means the Cubs might do some winning next year.

In other news, Sam Fuld's hometown paper did an in-depth profile of him. I'm sure you'll find it as fascinating as I did. For fun, let's just post a small bit of it.

Fuld, who even likes shagging flies before the game, also made a leaping catch at the wall. The spectacular grabs made him a semi-regular on SportsCenter's plays of the day.

"Ever since I started playing the outfield as a 12-year-old I enjoyed it and took a lot of pride in it," Fuld said. "It's one of the bigger parts of the game. I know in BP (batting practice) a lot of guys look at it as kind of a grind but I like going after balls and doing whatever I can to make a play.

"I think defense is a little undervalued," Fuld added.

I think being 6'4" and drinking a lot is undervalued. We all have our own opinions.

FrankS said:

Carl,

When I want spiels on superstition, I head on over to BCB. Al and the gang posted hundreds of messages about tomato parts dripping on his scorecard a couple years back. He keeps track of the Cubs' won-loss record based on the hat that he wore to the game. So even in jest, let us not go there. PLEASE! Leave that to the professionals.

lol

Well, I'm almost convinced though that Carl might be our lucky charm.

Umbra said:

But shouldn't we consider what narrative we replace our unwarranted superstition with?

millertime said:

Not. One. Bit.

I don't think height matters. Persons of any height who drink a lot are undervalued, IMHO.

millertime said:

Have we traded Bradley for Andre Ethier yet?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Now that Eric Wedge is out of Cleveland, I think the Indians want another go around with Milton. I'd imagine we'll get Grady Sizemore out of it.

So, rumor has it the Marlins want to move Dan Uggla, who stands to make millions in arbitration. I doubt the Cubs' ability to put together a package, but if they could, should they? I mean, he's obviously better than Theriot, but I'm curious what those who are smarter than me (ie, everyone) thinks.

Umbra said:

Well, for one thing, Uggla plays 2B (and that poorly). From what I've read of Uggla, I thought they expect him to move to 3B if he goes somewhere else. The Cubs wouldn't do that, obviously.

To do a quick calculation, Bill James estimates Theriot as having a .319 wOBA, and Uggla at .351, both playing a full season. That works out to about 17 more runs over the course of the season. Add that Uggla isn't a very good defender at 2B, Theriot is average to above average, and Uggla would be switching to a different position? That's less than 1 win of difference, to be honest.

Uggla will make $8 million, maybe 9. Theriot is now arb-eligible, so maybe $2 million? Not worth it if you ask me. The Cubs are on a tight fiscal leash with the new owner. I've heard there's $10 million to work with, and they already signed Grabow. Even if Theriot sucks, if you have financial constraints you don't make the team better by screwing around with the players that are bargains.

Instead, you accept the fact that Theriot isn't all that great, but you are paying him $2 million, and you use the money you save to sign Rich Harden or Justin Duchserererer or some other good pitcher.

That all makes sense, but the part where you called Theriot maybe above-average made a part of my brain asplode.

Umbra said:

Career UZR/150 at SS of +4.8. But in the bottom of the ninth with the game tied when he bounced a throw to the plate instead of trying to turn two, I died a little inside.

Umbra said:

I just watched that part of the game. It's from April 10, 2009. After Groggles gets an out, he then walks a podunk scrub of Milwaukee to get to the top of the order, Rickie Weeks doubles him home on a ball that Soriano freezes on. Weeks steals third on a ball in the dirt that gets away from Koyie. Gregg walks Corey Hart to get to Ryan Braun, who grounds to Theriot who makes that throw.

Aramis Ramirez hilariously throws his hands up in disgust, and Koyie spikes the ball because he's so angry. Microcosm for the entire season.

FrankS said:

The same baseball sense and instincts that generate all those TOOTBLANS for our dashing Musketeer also influence his defensive decisions, such as throwing to the wrong base and diving for balls that are ten feet beyond his reach.

Right, exactly.

Edelweiss said:

Second base is a defensive position. Most of the power hitters who play that position are poor defensively. The result is runs being allowed, which nullify any runs driven in. A second baseman who hits .250, and plays good defense is more valuable to his team than a guy like Uggla. Good production from that position is like icing on the cake. Teams run into trouble when they try to put a good hitter at 2b only because that position is vacant. That is why we lost DeRosa.

thisyearcub said:

Carl,

You're always a winner in my book. Congrats to the Colts! I'm rooting for an undefeated season. Also, my Panthers got a surprising win yesterday. Nabbed free club seats so I was hobnobbing with the richies, drinking liquor and whatnow. No turnovers for Jake=success!!

millertime said:

I wrote on George Orman's blog today. He both responded to my post, and sent me an e-mail with basically the same, if slightly poorer written, response.

1. Who is Geroge Orman?
2. How did he get my e-mail?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Here's the Who's George section of his blog:

As for how he got your email, I'm not sure. Maybe he knows someone in tech support that has your email and got it from them?

millertime said:

Ahhh. Thanks.

He seems even more grumpy than Doc.

secdelahc said:

I didn't think that was possible.

Tom Tracy said:

Check out Chicagobaseballmuseum.org

Good stuff!

I'm realizing that I have a total dependency on LOHO for Cubs news. I literally have no idea where to look for news unless someone posts headlines. It started as an aversion to reading Chicago media, but has developed into a full-fledged inability to ascertain Cubs news on my own.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I overslept... I'm going to start headlines as we go