Chicago Cubs Headline for Wednesday 10/14

Houston Astros vs St. Louis Cardinals

Just resting up for the exciting stuff coming up

Lets see what randomness I can scrounge up today.

Its that weird time where there isn't too much news about off season dealings because it isn't the off season, but there also isn't any exciting news from yesterday because nothing happened

So here it goes, my lame attempt at headlines.

The bad news first Former Cubs Pitching Coach Larry Jansen died although he's way more famous for being on the NY Giants, and being the winning pitcher in the "Shot Heard Round the World" game.

Uncle Phil is already talking about who should be the next hitting coach. His suggestion? Rudy Jaramillo although he's technically still employed by the Rangers.

Jaramillo is the absolute perfect man for the Cubs' situation. He has worked successfully in the past with both Alfonso Soriano and Milton Bradley, the latter of whom is no guarantee to be eliminated over the offseason (unless general manager Jim Hendry releases him at a cost of $21 million). And he is well acquainted with manager Lou Piniella from the years Piniella spent in Seattle and Tampa.

You tell me. Depending on what the lineup looks like, and which version of the players decides to play this could be one of the loneliest jobs in MLB, or one of the best.

Did Julie post this randomness on Eckersley yesterday? well there you go, Kyle Koster has a little talk with him about screwing up in the playoffs, oh the memories. A Lets see, what else...we already talked about the broke ass Cubs, darn can't use that. Um, there is some baseball being played tonight so that should be fun.

Other than that people I'm kinda out of ideas, I think you should all scour the interwebs and give me baseball stuff to read. Maybe if I hear any other stuff I'll update.

its not that bleak people, there could be some good news

millertime said:

1. Rumor has it the Bears might trade for T.O. Owens has a one year deal. If we can get him for a 3 or 4 round pick, I say absolutely.

2. Do you mean hitting coach instead of pitching coach?

Um...

1. The Bears could have signed him him during the off-season and chose not to, and the wouldn't have had to give up any draft picks. Why would they trade for him now?

2. I'm sure he could get Z's arm angle fixed too.

AndCounting said:

It's never a good sign when one of the reasons FOR signing a guy is that you wouldn't have to keep him very long.

millertime said:

I'm just saying, if it doesn't work out, the Bears aren't on the hook for a multi-year deal. It helps lower the risk. The main reason to trade/sign a guy is for the boost he'll give our receiving core.

This city cannot handle another jerk athlete until the Cubs get rid of Milton Bradley.

AndCounting said:

It would be good to have the talent, but almost everyone I've heard talk about this move has used the argument that they'd only have him for 11 games (hopefully a few more). The risk is minimal but obvious even to the proponents of the move.

Honestly, I'd pull the trigger and accept the inevitable reality of a noisy and unpleasant farewell in the not-too-distant future.

crap, yes i do

i thought hitting, i imagined hitting cages, and yet wrote pitching, not my day today

thisyearcub said:

Straight bummer about Charlie Davies.

I had to look up who he was, but thats pretty sad

UGH! Thank God we qualified before he went down. I'm really hoping alcohol wasn't involved in this crash (single car crashes at 3:00 am set off all kinds of alarms for me), because I really don't want to believe that about Charlie.

Tons of people are printing out giant number 9s to take to RFK tonight, and Charlie's parents are taking him all the well-wishes from fans. I have the link if anyone wants it (though I'm guessing 95% of you guys have no idea what Matt and I are talking about--LOL)

What the f are you talking about?

Charlie Davies is a forward on the US Men's National (Soccer) Team. He was in a car accident early yesterday morning. He's in serious but stable condition--with a broken leg, a lacerated bladder, and a bunch of broken bones in his face. A women who was also in the car was killed.

The USMNT just qualified for the World Cup by beating Honduras on Saturday and we play Costa Rica tonight to determine who gets the final WC spot (either Costa Rica or Honduras). It looks like it will take 6-12 months for Charlie to recover, so odds are he won't be playing in the 2010 WC. This sucks for him on a personal level, and for the US on a sporting level, because he was a huge part of our team.

berselius said:

For what little it's worth, at least he wasn't the driver

Well, that's something.

I also don't like to think that a guy on the USMNT was out drinking two days before a capital match, considering the dehydrating effects alchol has on one's body.

But again, there's nothing so far to say that was the case. Just my idle speculation.

Dmband said:

Hey I just recently was reminded that Eckersley was responsible for the term "walk off"...referring to his pitch to Gibson in the WS. He called it his "walk off pitch"...he throws it, then walks off the mound.

Kinda funny...

FrankS said:

Too bad Eck didn't get a copyright (or was it a trademark?) on it like Pat Riley did with threepeat.

I like the idea of Jaramillo.

thisyearcub said:

He just turned down the Rangers' contract offer about an hour ago, so something could be brewing. Although I'm not sure how much money the Cubs really need to give to a hitting coach.

Well, seeing as how they fired two of them this season...

maybe if they paid him a lot of money the hitting coach wouldn't get fired so fast