Minnestota Twins Headlines for Saturday

Minnesota Twins Orlando Cabrera reacts after taking a swing in the fifth inning against the New York Yankees in game 2 of the ALDSat Yankee Stadium in New York
No es bueno

Um... sorry, Twins? We really didn't think it was us until these last few days. We thought it was the Cubs. We were eager to be a part of a winner. And last night, it looked like we were going to be. Until the ninth.

A couple of waiters who work in the suites at Yankee Stadium were chatting before Friday's game. "When's the next game?" one asked. The other wasn't sure. "But it's either the Red Sox or the Angels," he replied.

Smart guys, because it sure looks that way. The Minnesota Twins had the Yankees right where they wanted them Friday night. But the Yankee Stadium nightmare continues. Joe Nathan had a horrible game. He coughed up a two-run lead in the ninth. Then Jose Mijares gave up the game-winning home run to Mark Teixeira in the 11th to send the Twins down to a stunning 4-3 defeat.

The game was not without a bit of controversy, and just the slightest hint of "what if?" after a blown call in the top of the 11th.

Leading off the 11th inning, Joe Mauer sliced a ball down the left-field line and umpire Phil Cuzzi -- assigned to that line as part of a six-man crew -- called it foul. But after viewing replays following the game, crew chief Tim Tschida said it was the wrong call.

So Mauer should have been awarded a ground-rule double, after the ball bounced into the stands.

If it makes you feel any better, Phil Cuzzi felt bad about the call after the game.

"There's a guy sitting over in the umpire's dressing room that feels horrible," Tschida said. "I've been there."

Or he may have been talking about another umpire that got some bad corned beef before the game.

Mauer singled after the call. Two singles followed, loading the bases. No problem for a plucky band of ragamuffins, right? Wrong. With the bases loaded and no outs, they became totally inept:

Delmon Young lined out; Carlos Gomez grounded to first baseman Teixiera, who threw home for the second out; and Brendan Harris flied to center, ending the inning.

What say you, loyal readers? Are we a curse, the likes of which blogdom has never seen? Are we just victims of cirumstance? Are the Twins simply trying to stretch this to a five game series because they didn't get to visit the Statue of Liberty this time around?

kiwibob said:

It's us...
I suggest we use our freakish powers for good instead of evil and change the world.
Let's start supporting cancer, Glenn Beck and the Japanese whaling fleet for start off and see how long they last...

How can it be us? The Cubs sucked way before any of us came along. Right?

RIGHT?

kiwibob said:

Sure... certain things were in place in the cosmos before we turned up.
But once we held hands and stood in a circle a crackling energy of crappiness erupted, fusing our powers with any sport we choose to follow.
I'm merely wondering if these powers can cross the sports barrier and affect other things...

kiwibob said:

You can boo all you like but until the Cubs or our Cub/hybrid Twins win a playoff game I remain convinced

Umbra said:

Victims of circumstance of 2 games. It's the Yankees. Come on.

Umbra said:

The Badgers are 16 point underdogs against Ohio State? Uhhhhh, I'll take the points?

berselius said:

Their top 2 left tackles have the flu too, and may not even be able to play

Umbra said:

Ohio State's left tackles are sick? I thought the Badgers have flu immunity after the entire team got sick before Fresno.

berselius said:

Sorry, yeah I meant OSU. It might be more widespread (rumor has it it's been in the O-line in general) but Tressel's kept it under the lid just like the Badgers did

Hey, so do 5 kids on my soccer team! Coincidence?

Perkins said:

Well, if it's any consolation, the Yankees are just a much, much better team than the Twins. This is nothing like last year when the Cubs collapsed to the weak Dodgers.

AndCounting said:

Agreed. This is much more similar to being swept (though it hasn't been completed yet) by the Braves in '98. With a one-game playoff and a game the very next day, sometimes you just climax too soon.

Oh, that's dirty.

you know who I blame? the guy that made us cheer for the Twinks. he's responsible for our self-doubt!

to the windmill!

Perkins said:

Yeah my rule of thumb when choosing a second team is to pick the one least like the Cubs. The Yankees fit that nicely, and as of the last few years, so do the Red Sox.

Ah well, we head into the Metrodome. Maybe if people boo him and yell things about steroids at him, ARod will fall apart. Here's to hoping.

Perkins said:

Yeah I'm hoping he hits like 6 HR in one game. I just get sick of people talking shit about the second best player in the game (at least about anything related to playing baseball).

AndCounting said:

I've got to take issue with the Star-Tribune writer and anyone else who thinks Mauer should have been awarded a ground-rule double. The ball touched the fielder's glove before bounding into the stands. At that point, the fielder actually became guilty of sending the ball out of play, which should have awarded Mauer the next two bases he had yet to reach. If Mauer had already reached first base at the time of the play--the moment the baseball hit leather--he should have been granted 3rd base. I don't know if he had reached first when the fielder touched the ball, but it's definitely conceivable.

The rule is different of course in the case of a ball that never hits the ground, makes contact with a player or his glove, and leaves the field of play in fair territory (e.g. the Bobby Scales incident). Those plays are correctly ruled home runs--by rule, the penalty for a defensive infraction will never trump a more beneficial result for the offensive team in the absence of said penalty.

Umbra said:

Could Tiger play any worse? The man needs to take some advice from Madison's own Steve Stricker.

On Saturdays in the fall, I'm acutely aware of what I'm missing out on by not having gone to a college that was good at football.

AndCounting said:

So . . . four series underway and just one game today. That's awesome, MLB.

AndCounting said:

However, it does give us the possibility of a Cardinals sweep with a huge spotlight on it. Twins fans hate the Cardinals, right? Ever since we took them in 7 games in '87, I've despised them.

Well, MLB couldn't really help the weather situation in Denver...

AndCounting said:

If they hadn't allowed the WBC to delay the start of the season they may have. And I'm fairly certain that a butterfly flapping its wings at the Japan/USA game in March indirectly caused it to snow this weekend.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Did Ashton Kutcher tell you that?

AndCounting said:

Is that what that movie is about? I haven't seen an Ashton flick since Dude, Where's My Car?

well, the WBC part is true.

man, what happens if the rox make it all the way to the series and winter has already started in denver?

hahaha the cardinals look like the cubs

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Hooray! I think it's much better to have dealt with all that in August than to be dealing with it now.

FrankS said:

Just a dumb question, but since this is supposed to be a Twins blog for at least one more game, shouldn't all the folks with Cub-specific nicknames changed them so they have Twins nicknames? For example, CubbieJulie should have become TwinsJulie or TwinkieJulie and carlheartscubs should be carlheartstwins. Maybe that's why the Twins have fallen under the curse of the Cubs!

i'm afraid that if i change my name, someone else will grab it while i'm "twinkiejulie."

Um. . . does anyone else see SPAM on my blog??!?!?!?!?!

Umbra said:

I looked for it, but I couldn't find what you're talking about what with all of the "ChicagoNow! on Twitter", "ChicagoNow! on Digg", "Twitter Updates du Jour", ads for Chicago's Premier [sic] Haunted House Experience, ChicagoNow! Sportz Tickets, ...

That's because I deleted it. Pbbbblt.

kiwibob said:

I saw spam briefly...
It was for an online shoe shop...
I was going to reply to it saying "Are you asking us to support your shoe shop? You may regret that decision..."

that was it!

Heh heh heh..

Cards are the first team swept out of the playoffs.

AndCounting said:

That doesn't make me sad. I do get sick of hearing about how bad the NL Central is, but I could care less. It's not like we're college football and we need votes to win championships.

and the twins will be the second

thisyearcub said:

Cardinals=crybaby bitches

thisyearcub said:

I just bid, and won, making this a Yankees blog for the ALCS. Go Yanks and Texeira! Julie, my $2.50 is in the mail.