Chicago Headlines for Friday: Pins and Needles Edition

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Chicago_2016_6227.jpg

The awesome logo the IOC made us change.

There's been a lot (and I mean A LOT) of debate around Chicagoland about the Olympics lo these last few days. Yesterday, I shared my concern about the City financing something as huge as the Olympics while letting those who live in our inner city languish in poverty and violence, because the City supposedly doesn't have the money to make their lives any better.

But on a purely selfish basis, I would LOVE to see the Olympics in Chicago. What could be bettter than welcoming the entire world to the city that's held my heart since I was a baby? So I, like the rest of hte Chicago, will be waiting anxiously today to see if we will get to host the Games. The annoucement will come around 11:30 am CT. Check out Trib Co's Olympic Coverage.

As for the Cubs, I'm a big unclear as to what went down last night, as they were still waiting out the rain delay when I fell asleep (which, admittedly, was rather early).  Further complicating the headlines this morning is the fact that most of the Chicago media is pretending like last night's game never happened. Accordingly, I'm going to guess it was rained out.

Given the fact that I can't find a final score from last night's game, I certainly didn't expect to wake up to a punch in the stomach. But then I found this:

Barring an unexpected move for starting pitching this offseason, Jeff Samardzija and Tom Gorzelanny will compete for the No. 5 spot in the rotation next spring.

The Cubs have used Samardzija primarily as a reliever in the majors and a starter in the minors.

"He has been back and forth according to the needs of the major league team," Piniella said. "But now that we've seen him over the last couple of years in bits and pieces, (starting is) the general consensus.

I would LOVE to know who was in on this "consensus." I'm guessing the same guys that gave Spellcheck his NTC.

Gah.

Some of the Cubs players weigh in about their own wish-lists for the Ricketts era. Dempster is practical, Lilly is awesome, and Z is hilarious:

Dempster's wish is simple. He wants the Cubs to upgrade their outdated facilities.

Asked what he would tell the Ricketts family, the presumptive new owners, about the Cubs biggest needs, Dempster replied: "Some of the facilities are about 100 years old."

Lilly's wish is for the Cubs to re-sign Reed Johnson, who becomes a free agent in November. But he also said it would be prudent to consider bringing back Mark DeRosa, who left a void in the clubhouse when he was traded to the Indians last winter.

"I love Mark as a player, a person, a clubhouse guy," Lilly said. "I could say he's probably the best teammate I've ever had. All around, he really cares a great deal about everybody, and that's the kind of person he is. I think he also leads by example -- the way he plays. He's a special individual."

And Zambrano, the enigmatic ace who won nine games in 2009? What would he like most?

Zambrano wants the media to stop speculating he will be traded this winter, reiterating he has a no-trade clause he won't waive.

"Like Arnold Schwarzenegger said, 'I'll be back,' " Zambrano said before Thursday night's game.

Is he sure about that?

"Believe it," he said. "All new episodes -- next year."

Ha! Even Lilly wants DeRosa back. I love it.

As for Aramis? He's sticking up for Jim Hendry:

The question came up in the context of the Cubs needing another bat in the lineup after they sent right fielder Milton Bradley home for the season with a suspension.

"I think they're going to address that because we're going to need a right fielder if they decide Milton isn't coming back," Ramirez said. "We're going to need a right fielder or a center fielder if they move Fuky (Kosuke Fukudome) to right.

"We've got bats in here that they know could be better than what they did. We're going to come back here next year healthy and do what they're supposed to do, do what we're supposed to do, and we're going to be all right.

"That's not (Hendry's) fault. He thought (Bradley) was the right move. It didn't work out. But at the same time, he's the same guy that put back-to-back (division) championship teams together."

And Bruce Miles gives us a Soriano update:

Left fielder Alfonso Soriano continues rehabbing from recent surgery on his left knee. He'll head to Miami after the season ends Sunday. After spending about a week there, he'll go home to the Dominican Republic.

"You know, it's still like weak," Soriano said. "It's not the same, so I hope that, because it's been two weeks, in one month, or three or four weeks, I feel better. But now, I cannot even run because I feel like I want to fall down. I have a lot of work to do to get my knee in shape again."

Given that Soriano fell down a lot before surgery, I'm unclear as to how this is any different.

The Cubs will kick off the final series of the 2009 season today at Wrigley at 1:20 CT against the Dbacks. In fun news, the Hawks kick off their 2009-2010 season at 11:30 am in Finland against Florida.

Let's finish the season together.

Another potential suitor bites the dust. Via mlbtraderumors.com:

"The Rangers aren't interested in bringing Milton Bradley back to Texas, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Sources make it clear to Sullivan that the club won't look to re-acquire the now-available outfielder. A week ago, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that the Rangers feel Bradley became selfish at the end of last season."

For those of us that forgot to set the DVR last night, watch Chicago's presentation to the IOC!

Sigh.

I love my city.

I love Chicago, but people out here get annoyed when I say it too often

ha! i LOVE that the Fire Fans got a cameo!

awesome nod to Due's and Small Bar in the U2 video. Hee.

The IOC really made them change that logo? Why? It is really beautiful.

you aren't allowed to put city-specific designs in your logo. which is why they're all probably so lame.

what did they change it to?

oh, the star is the new one, thats still Chicago specific though

yabbut not as cool as having the ST in it.

true enough, I believe buildings should be in more places, but I'm biased

the thing I like about the star is even in the US 85% of people won't know why that shape star, until the Chicago flag starts popping up everywhere, and then one by one they'll all be like "oh, I get it!" and have a moment where they can feel superior to their friends, all the while we already knew

and thus, we can feel superior right from the beginning.

exactly

I don't think that's what it's called anymore.

all my archie books call it that, so thats what I'm going with

i refuse to call it anything else.

I don't even know what they are calling it now, I just now how protective Chicagoans get about their landmarks, and love pushing buttons.

Let's all forget about it by taking a shopping trip to Macys.

Ed Nickow said:

It violated rules that prohibit using Olympic torch imagery.

or that.

lol

Whatever the reason, that's dumb. Man, the IOC has a lot of ass backwards policies.

If we had signatures available on CN, mine would be Z's quote. Love it. All new episodes next year.

in my neverending quest to make sure people get all the free coffee (and chocolate) available
from Dunks on Facebook:
Hey Chicago: We hope you score the 2016 Summer Games. Outcome regardless, on Monday, you’re getting free DD Medium Hot Coffee! The free Medium Coffee will be available all day, October 5, at all of the nearly 500 DD locations in Chicago & Chicago... suburbs. No purchase necessary & limit one per customer. Good luck!

haha, 500 locations? for like 12 million people? dude, thats kinda wrong

Photos of the White City on NBC5---amazing.

that World's Fair was awesome for Chicago, Grant Park alone was worth it

I have a coffee table book on the White City--I LOVE to look at it.

So, I was reading yesterdeay AND hearing on the news that Chicago is considered the leading choice, but that because a lot of Chicagoans don't want it, that could be the deciding factor. Or that OBama could be the deciding factor. For those who have paid close attention to this, where do you think it will end up?

Also, if Chicago got it, could they build a new ballpark that the Cubs could move into? That would be awesome.

Looks like Rio is still the favorite. S. America has never hosted the games. Rio and Madrid also supposedly have some kind of agreement to vote for each other once one's city drops out. The majority of the votes will come from Europe, and a lot of the IOC members are part of European royal families. Both Juan Anotonio Samaranch and King Juan Carlos back the Madrid bid==and I think that's a lot bigger than people might realize.

Dmband said:

That logo is VERY cool.

Couple comments on the Cubs (sorry)

Am I supposed to believe that our 5th starter next season is going to be spellcheck? Where does that leave Gorzelanny (who has been VERY good btw). Either way, both are a HUGE question mark at the back of our rotation. As far as De-Ro, I would be very happy, becuase I could resurrect my De-Ro jersey that I had to shelve after he went to St Lou...not sure it makes much sense though, honestly.

Lastly, I still think its ridiculous that Soriano goes home for the offseason, with no guarantee he doesnt come back next year in the same shape...same goes with Soto, I know someone mentioned its probably a players union thing, but I dont understand how we cant tell these guys they need to rehab here...or at very least with Cubs reprentative whereever they live....I mean, he's only getting 18 mil a year....

Alright, Alright, back to the 5 rings....its olympic day and even though I hate this, I will HAVE to get behind it I guess....maybe I can rent my place out?

I'm kinda hoping this spellcheck fighting for the 5th spot is another way for them to make the fans who love him happy, I feel like they bring him out parade him around "hey this is the local kid, went to ND, wanted to play for the Cubs and remember we gave him all that money? well we're getting our money's worth" and in reality he probably will pan out to be a good pitcher, but I would have liked to see him brought up through the system a little bit better, instead of as the poster boy for the future

Oh boy. Poor Ted:

"NEW YORK - The New York Daily News is reporting that Red Sox Hall of Famer Ted Williams’ severed head was mistreated at an Arizona cryonics facility, according to details from a new book.

In “Frozen,” Larry Johnson, a former executive at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Ariz., writes that Williams’ head, which had been severed and frozen for storage, was abused at the facility. Johnson claims a technician took baseball-like swings at Williams’ frozen head with a monkey wrench."

oh goodness, who would do that, thats gross

here we go. . . voting about to begin.

idiot Cubs fans jinxing the bid with their stupid "it's gonna happen" signs. those things should be burned.

that whole fad needs to end, seriously, its over, it was stupid to begin with and now its stupid and old

Chicago eliminted on the first vote.

This is what I was afraid of.

That's embarrassing for a certain president.

I don't think so.

One of the things the rest of the world hates about America is that we only ever take part in things we know we can win. Losing, and being magnamonious about it will go a long way with the international community.

Ed Nickow said:

Only in the empty minds of Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck and the other Fox talking heads

I guess I really just have a different perspective. I work for a Dem in the Senate, and even people on our side are pissed that he's engaging in that bullshit while we're stuck here dealing with the healthcare clusterfuck.

As opposed to clearing brush on his ranch for 2.5 years of his presidency?

Who said anything about that?

I just think it's funny that Republicans are screaming about Obama going overseas for this, while Bush spent the entire August of 2001 at his ranch,

Welcome to politics.

hey GD, you excited all the save the planet people are camping on the mall for the next 3 weeks?

The thing I love about environmentalist protesters is that they are probably the least effective protesters every, yet they all believe they are MAKING A HUGE DIFFERENCE. It is cute, really.

they aren't protesting, they are building a little neighborhood on the mall

oh for christ's sake.

hehe, I thought you'd like it, its just construction today, but you can tour the homes when they are done thouh

Dmband said:

chicago is out.

Dmband said:

1st round...how emabarassing.

Rio and Madrid are the final 2.

Go Rio!

Dmband said:

I think it was Rio's..."we've never had the Olympics...whaaaa" strategy. Apparently thier presentation caused an uproar....

They are a very passionate people...good for them

I'm interested to see how they deal with it, and if it alters the landscape of the city at all

Dmband said:

Honestly, I think our city's rep preceeded us. I also think this was the international community's way of "knocking us down a peg". If you travel oversea's people still know Chicago for Al Capone, and corruption...maybe a little bit of Jordan. I think this is an interesting indication of people's perception of us, internationally. Perhaps I am reading into that too much.

And now Rio will have the World cup in 2014 and the Olympics...wow...that MAY be overwhelming for them..

I still think it's going to be madrid. . .

the World Cup would be like a test run

Dmband said:

I heard that what was working against Madrid was the fact that it would then be London, Russia, and then Madrid, three straight European countries....not sure what that means...but...yeah.

add in Vancouver and Rio has a lot going for it

except Rio just lost some big international sporting event because they couldn't handle it, logistically. I can't remember what it was.

LMAO!!

@Aisle424: This does save the embarassment of having the water events in Lake Michigan canceled due to elevated levels of fecal material

Dmband said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Now that is hilarious.

ITs Rio.