Chicago Cubs Tuesday Headlines: All Your Base Are Belong To Us

SamZell.jpg

Aplogies in advance for waking you up with this photo.

I've been thinking about this postseason thing, and I've decided we've been going about it all wrong.

We've been all warm and fuzzy and John McDonough-ish about this. We need to think more like Sam Zell. Would an evil genius pussyfoot around offering to cheer on other people's teams? No! He'd figure out what his biggest bargaining chip was and he'd beat people over the head with it.

We have a bargaining chip, too.

With that in mind, here goes:

Hey, fans of the Phillies, Dodgers, Yankees and Angels, how'd you like us to cheer on your team during this postseason run? Wait, before you answer, let me tell you a little bit about our history:

2007: We cheer for the 2007 NL Central Championship Cubs. Result? The Cubs are swept out of the playoffs.

2008: We cheer for the 2008 NL Central Champion Cubs. Ressult? The Cubs are swept out of the playoffs.

2009: After cheering for the 2009 NL Central Division Un-Champion Chicago Cubs (who fail to make the postseason), we cheer for the AL Central Champion Twins. Result? The Twins are swept out of the playoffs.

How can I put this. . . . ?

Make it worth our while or we'll cheer for your team next.

We are only beginning to understand our power. Let the bribery begin.

Turning our attention to Chicago Cubs news of the highest "meh" factor, the Cubs have become only the second team in MLB history to say, "We declare bankruptcy!"

The Chicago Cubs' trip through bankruptcy court should be as quick as a 1-2-3 inning.

The team, as anticipated, filed its Chapter 11 papers Monday as part of Tribune Co.'s plan to transfer control of the ballclub to the Ricketts family. The Cubs' stay in bankruptcy may last only a day; a hearing is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon in a bankruptcy court in Delaware.

The swift action is a novel use of the bankruptcy code, according to legal experts.

"The parties who structured the sale of the Cubs and obtained the court's approval of the sale process showed a great deal of imagination and creativity in the proposal they presented to the court," John Schanne and David Stratton, bankruptcy lawyers at Pepper Hamilton, wrote in a recent client memo.

Awesome. Let's take some of that imagination and creativity and apply it to our off-season, shall we? And no Jim, back-loaded contracts for guys on the wrong side of 30 will not be considered "imaginaitve or creative" for our purposes.

Grab your popcorn kids, because it looks like The Delicate Genius is getting ready to start jerking St. Louis around. I can't WAIT for this to ramp up!

La Russa stopped short Saturday of saying his staff would return. Indeed, La Russa, whose contract expires at month's end, could not say if he was going to return.

"I've never doubted the club's commitment -- ever," La Russa said early Saturday afternoon. "The question is whether I want to go for a 31st year."

Mozeliak said last week that he believed La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan would return. Mozeliak refused to comment about the rest of the coaching staff, stoking speculation that he and La Russa were uncertain whether the club would bring back hitting coach Hal McRae.

La Russa said he has only begun soul-searching regarding his future. Part of that evaluation focuses on the team's attentiveness to him and his staff. While insisting the club did not enter the division series flat, La Russa expressed disappointment over Saturday's noticeable drop in energy level.

Yeah. . . that is disappointing. But you know, a noticeable drop in energy is normal when your entire team tries to get clean and sober all at the same time. It's a process.

I'm not sure why, but I'm extremely amused by Bobby Jenks' reaction to finding out he's still fat:

Jenks is not a happy man, and it has nothing to do with another offseason beginning with trade rumors. Instead, during a weekend chat with MLB.com, Jenks took umbrage with the White Sox once again calling out his conditioning at the end of the 2009 season.

"I've done everything I can do, I've done everything that is physically possible, to make myself in better shape this year," said Jenks. "Where the years previously I didn't lose weight in-season, I didn't want my weight issue to be a factor as to why I had an off season."

It's gonna be okay, Cornpone. Just remember, it's not a diet, it's a live-it.

Aaaaaand the Cubs are sending a whole bunch of prospects to the Arizona Fall League. YAWN. Wake me up when they make it to the majors:

The Arizona Fall League kicks off Tuesday, and Cubs fans in the Phoenix area can get a sneak peek at some of the organization's top prospects.

Andrew Cashner and Josh Vitters, the Cubs' first-round picks in 2008 and '07, respectively, plus standout shortstop Starlin Castro will play for the Mesa Solar Sox, which open play Tuesday in Phoenix.

Cashner is expected to start Friday when the Solar Sox play at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, Ariz. He'll be joined on the roster by pitchers John Gaub, James Russell, and Blake Parker, who are all scheduled to throw Wednesday against Phoenix.

Finally, if anyone has any idea where this Mike-Cameron-to-the-Cubs rumor came from, please enlighten me. Twitter was all a . .  well, aTweet about it yesterday, but no one can seem to find any source on this. Per usual for this time of year, I suspect the "source" is Phil Rogers' imaginary playmate, but only time will tell.

kiwibob said:

Hooray!
Julie is drunk with power!

millertime said:

Drunk with Max Power. Zing.

I'm just gonna say "fuck it" and root for the Yankees, because I hate them most.

And yes, it is all DeRosa's fault.

Hey, DeRosa took the Cardinals down. Let's give credit where credit is due.

How you feelin?

I think I'll live. ;)

Umbra said:

The Hawks came back last night. Biggest comeback in club history, no big deal.

millertime said:

I saw that. Burish killed a guy. Did he throw a trident?

berselius said:

Whoa, a Cameron-to-the-Cubs rumor?

WANT
WANT
WANT

millertime said:

I'll allow it. But only if he doesn't do that "Untuck your shirt after you win" thing. And he has to carry around a pink backpack.

You all are crazy. We'd be better off with getting Korey back.

millertime said:

Twitter told me Zach Braff was dead. He isn't.

don't you see the Hot Topics at the top, it tells you that right there

millertime said:

Hot Topic? Why is there a goth clothing store at the top of this site? We must destroy it before the vampires move in.

I think it's for a haunted house. I don't control the ads.

Umbra said:

No, Hot Topic. He's not talking about the ad. Hot Topic is a store in the mall that sells lava lamps and spike-studded belts and black lights and other accoutrement to Fight the Fascist Social Order.

I like this furniture ad a lot better than the fucking mywrigleyville ad.

millertime said:

And yes, lets take our advice on how to cheer for a team from this guy:

(How do I do the cool text as link thing?)

darn, thought I could get away with that

its (a href="website")text(/a) but with brackets instead of parentheses

The guy is satan.

I love it.

millertime said:

Who's the singer that did that cover of that Beatles song, the one they used on The Wonder Years? Is there any network that still shows episodes of The Wonder Years?

Joe Cocker

millertime said:

Thanks. I put his name into Pandora, and I am now treated to listening to him sing "She came in through the bathroom window".

Does he only do beatles covers? Cause that would be neat.

Umbra said:

He also covers "Let's Go Get Stoned".

Are you guys serious? Joe Cocker was a huge star. "You Are So Beautiful?" "Up Where We Belong?" ring any bells?

Umbra said:

I don't know any of those songs, but I think he also does "Like a Rock", "Night Moves", and "Turn the Page".

MN Pat said:

That's Bob Seger. Didn't Joe Cocker also do "You Can Leave Your Hat On"?

Umbra said:

Pretty sure Bob Seger and Joe Cocker are the same person.

Pretty sure.

MN Pat said:

I'm doubtful. I have seen them both, and I simply cannot imagine Joe Cocker singing "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll."

Little Bear said:

820 University Dr
Eau Claire, WI 54701-6698 Edit Online Offers: Motels in Eau Claire Eau Claire Restaurants Wisconsin Auto Insurance Directions from A to B:

1: Start out going SOUTHWEST on UNIVERSITY DR. 0.3 mi Map

2: Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto HENDRICKSON DR. 1.1 mi Map Avoid

3: Turn RIGHT onto SHORT ST. 0.9 mi Map Avoid

4: Turn LEFT onto FERRY ST. 0.2 mi Map Avoid

5: Turn RIGHT onto CRESCENT AVE. 1.3 mi Map Avoid

6: 3919 CRESCENT AVE is on the LEFT. 0.0 mi Map
Robert Clark "Bob" Seger was born May 6, 1945.
John Robert "Joe" Cocker was
born May 20 1944

Little Bear said:

oops, sorry didn't mean to hit (ctl) v. Those are directions to fanny hill and then Bob seger and Joe Cockers birthdays.

lol, awesome. are we all taking a trip?

Little Bear said:

if you want to come to fanny hill. They are carving pumpkins tonight

AndCounting said:

I just felt like replying to this to see how skinny the text can get.

I like doing that too. I think they just start to line up eventually. But they look really ridiuclous sometimes and get really long, like one word per line all the way down.

Little Bear said:

One word, really?

AndCounting said:

Maybe if the word is antidisestablishmentarianism.

Ed Nickow said:

(1) Joe Cocker
(2) Dunno

yay for blank standings flags, looking at that L was disheartening

I think I'm pulling for the Phillies, because I love Ryan Howard. Then again, maybe that means I should pull for the Dodgers.

Angels.

I like my Philadelphia friends, therefor I am not rooting for Philly

secdelahc said:

I may have to root for the Yankees, if this cursing other teams is true.

I agree.

Mike Cameron...

ugh...the rumor has been going around for about a week now.

Anyone who thinks Mike Cameron is the solution in the outfield for us is just being stupid. And besides, he'd no long play against the cubs to pad his rather average stats. And he's like 90 years old. A career .250 hitter. If he joins the Cubs, I'll be yearning for those good old days when Jacque Jones roamed the Wrigley outfield. Jones was a much better outfielder and hitter than Mike Cameron is...and we ran JJ out of town.

berselius said:

Doc, he doesn't hit well for average, but he does hit for decent power for a CF (.452 SLG last year, .448 in his career). He strikes out a ton but can also take walks (.340 career OBP). His biggest asset is his defense though - he's a fantastic defensive CF even at his age

We don't need a defensive outfielder. If we did, we'd just put Fuld out there.

berselius said:

Yes, but Cameron can play defense AND hit

No...he is not the type of hitter this team needs. Is not that productive. There is a reason he's been on 6 teams...2010 will mark his 5th team in 8 seasons. Why try to sign a guy that other teams seem perfectly happy to let walk? I think there's a reason.

And on top of that, he will be 37 next season. It is more likely than not, at that age, he will not hit at or above his career averages. That would indicate he would hit in the .240's with about 20 homers and about 60 rbi.

Sorry, I don't want that.

berselius said:

I can see your point about his age, but you have to give him SOME credit for his recent production in his mid-30s. It would be nice to see the Cubs break the bank for someone (Holliday) but I don't think they have the payroll to do it. Cameron or Polanco are the kinds of players that the Cubs should be targeting this offseason. Don't forget that Soriano and Soto should have bounceback years next year too, which reduces the desparate need for the mythical 'RBI guy'

Cameron's production during the last few years has, well, been near his averages for his career...with a slight spike in power in 2007, but he was suspended for a part of that season (for shame)...and his stolen base totals have dropped off significantly.

I understand what you are saying about payroll and soriano and soto...but this team was looking for some more power after the 2007 season when those two put up good numbers.

Polanco is a good hitter for average and doesn't strike out much at all. He's a few years younger as well. He doesn't hit many homers but will likely drive in 60 to 70...so not bad in the clutch. If the Cubs could pick him up, that might be a good move...with Baker playing the utility role.

Now, while I have said no to Cameron, I don't have a solution for the outfield yet. Unfortunately, I honestly don't see a good fit for the Cubs that is available right now in FA. That means I think the cubs should try to make a trade for an outfielder. Who and for what, I don't know. I'll need more time to think about it.

berselius said:

If the Cubs pick up Polanco, he should be leading off, not hitting in the middle of the lineup

Yeah...but I don't know where you put K-Fuk and Theriot. I see Polanco as a #7 hitter...he'll wipe up what is left over from the 3 through 6 hitters.

Polanco doesn't have a good enough OBP or speed to be an effective lead-off hitter for this team.

And if not a #7 hitter, then he'd have to be a #2 hitter.

I don't want him batting lead-off.

millertime said:

"Why try to sign a guy that other teams seem perfectly happy to let walk? I think there's a reason. "

Players like Cameron play for a lot of teams because they are good enough that they are highly sought after, but not good enough to be "franchise" players that you never want to let go of.

Magglio Ordonez, Milton Bradley, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Lee, these are all players that have played for multiple teams and have been very productive. I don't think it's as much a personal reason these guys didn't stick with the same team, as much as it was a business reason. Even with Milton Bradley, I think the Rangers would have loved to re-sign him, but Milton Bradley had good value, and it was unlikely the Rangers could sign him and have enough financial resources to sign/keep other players as well.

abe frohman said:

Is Willie Mays signed with anyone for next year?

What did I say about signing guys on the wrong side of 30?

secdelahc said:

What about Kenny Lofton?

abe frohman said:

But if we could get Mays, I bet we could get Bonds. And once you have Bonds, Jose Canseco is just a heartbeat away. There's your starting outfield.

I wish we had Bonds.

millertime said:

Actually, I would suggest moving out of Bonds. With the interest rate this low, there is nowhere for it to go but up, and that doesn't mean good news for the value of most bonds. Also, there would probably be some inflation risk, and with the current government spending, that might turn into a serious risk.

AndCounting said:

Um, yeah, let's not call Jacque a better outfielder than anyone until his last throw is done rolling in to 2nd from short right field.

Defensively, Cameron is much better.

But Jones was, without a doubt, a better hitter than Cameron. And we need a hitter at this point.

berselius said:

Jacque Jones, career: .277/.326/.448/
Mike Cameron, career: .250/.340/.448/

Jacque Jones, 2009: not signed by anyone
Mike Cameron, 2009: .250/.342/.452

AndCounting said:

All in all, I agree. I'm a little tired of acquiring average to above-average players. Mark DeRosa. Milton Bradley. Kosuke Fukudome. Mike Cameron, etc., etc. If they're going after someone, it should be a player who has a legitimate chance to make an All-Star team every year. If you're gonna pay the money, get one of the best players, not one of the decent players. Don't spend a ton of money on someone who is replaceable by guys from our own mediocre farm system.

Jason Bay and Matt Holliday are on the low-end of the talent pool I'd like the Cubs to draw from. If there's no one as good or better available, let's not bother.

berselius said:

No thanks on Jason Bay. He's horrible defensively.

millertime said:

The Cubs did this. They signed Alfonso Soriano. And Soriano has been very good for the Cubs. But the Cubs haven't won a world series with him. So people hate his contract and complain about how much money the Cubs spend.

And for the record, those players you mentioned are all well above "replaceable by guys from our own mediocre farm system". At least, I think their VORP is above 0, but I'm too lazy to check at this point.

AndCounting said:

You're right, the quality scale is more graduated than just SFQ* and Perennial All-Stars. And I excluded Soriano because I think he's the level of player I hope the Cubs try to acquire with the extra $150 million the Ricketts saved in the purchase, er, leveraged transfer of the team (wouldn't mind a higher level of consistency and transparency regarding injuries).

I guess my big problem is that when the Cubs target a B-level free agent, they often offer A-level dollars as if the extra money will make the player better. To me, that's a good way to assemble a team that can win the NL Central and nothing more.

*Sam Fuld Quality

millertime said:

I see. Like giving good money to Juan Pierre.

And Jason Marquis...

And Aaron Miles...

And Jacque Jones...(or was he acquired in a trade? I don't remember any more).

And Mark DeRosa...but that one actually worked out well.

millertime said:

I also think it's a problem with Hendry getting too caught up in the short term, or not valuing the right things. Giving a guy a contract based on intangibles, batting average, RBIs, Runs Scored, Stolen Bases, or Wins for pitcher is stupid. That's why I don't want Chone Figgens. Managers think they need a "sparkplug" like him to lead off, steal bases, and hustle in some runs. But Chone Figgens doesn't get on base too often. And he hits for no power. But other GM's will bid up his price, Jim will feel pressured from Paul Sullivan or other sports writers, and sign a guy like Chone at way too high a price.

AndCounting said:

Grr. Just wrote the best comment ever and it was deleted by a login fail. Instead I'll just (try to) link you to Figgins's stats and let you see for yourself that he gets on base (and steals them) much more effectively than you're giving him credit for.

But Baker's emergence might lessen Hendry's interest.

millertime said:

Wow. I complain all the time about people making claims without backing them up with evidence, and then I make a claim without backing it up with evidence. So. Um. This is awkward.

I'm not here to talk about the past. But still, lets not sign Chone Figgins. I mean, dude can't even spell his name right.

You just got McDowell'd.

AndCounting said:

The name issue is no small matter. I still hear people saying things like, "My favorite Cubs of all time are Ryan Sandberg, Sha-Wawn Dunston, and Kerry Woods." I don't think I can handle hearing "Chown" 50 times a day. Santo would meat that quota until at least mid-July.

AndCounting said:

Meat? That's what I get for making fun of people.

millertime said:

Sounds like someone should call the karma police.

Umbra said:

People referring to Kerry Woods (Tiger's brother?) made me want to go on a violent rampage.

millertime said:

You make a great point though, that signing a guy like Aaron Miles or Kevin Gregg when we have enough guys we can just call up from Iowa is pointless.

Speaking of Miles...

What the hell are the Cubs going to do with him? We have him on contract for another season!

Please tell me that is a lie.

I never lie.

He was signed for 2 years, $4.9 million...$2.7 next season alone!

W.
T.F.

This will happen:

They won't deal or release Miles. He'll have an unbelievably awesome spring, remind the Cubs why they signed him, and make the opening day roster.

Then he will suck.

millertime said:

The Yankees have a very good team. I think I'll cheer for them. I like A-rod, Tex, Jeter, CC, and Rivera. I also like Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlin. Lotta talent on that team. Yankees Dodgers would be pretty sweet.

you are crazy.

Way to take the easy way out.

millertime said:

Why can't you just be happy for me?

AndCounting said:

New York will never be good to you.

thisyearcub said:

Yes! Welcome in ... it's been a fun time here so far. Yanks-Angels should be a good series. Although I'm rooting for New York, a Dodgers-Angels series would be funny because 3/4 of the country will have little interest.

secdelahc said:

I'm sleepy. Am I allowed to take a nap in finance class?

Umbra said:

This is how recessions happen.

PAY ATTENTION.

secdelahc said:

Bah. I'm studying Human Resources. I don't need to know this Finance crap.

You kids have it so easy these days. When I was in college, no one had laptops. We had to sleep with nothing between us and the professor but air!

secdelahc said:

Yes we do. I can pretend to pay attention and play around LOHO at the same time!

You should be grateful, because otherwise you guys would never see me!

I'm not responsible for the recession. My college poly sci prof just won the Nobel Prize for economics.

Umbra said:

I got to shake Har Gobind Khorana's hand when they dedicated a wing to him. Guy cracked the genetic code.

this is one of the bests posts ever.

only if you can do so while keeping your eyes open and pretending to take notes

secdelahc said:

This is the beauty of having a laptop with wifi in the classrooms. I don't need to take notes on paper. I think I can fake them on the laptop, though.

yeah, not only so I usually still have to take hand written notes, but there tends to be drawing involved, last week it was on butcher paper using twigs dipped in India ink

secdelahc said:

Nope, no drawing. We're discussing a case that each team has prepared. I have no idea what my team did. I let the finance guy take care of it. This could, however, be detrimental to me on the midterm next week.

Are they going to make swine flu vaccine in a nasal spray the way they have regular flu shot in a nasal spray?

millertime said:

H1N1. Calling it swine flu is bad business for pig farmers.

Umbra said:

Says the guy who thinks you can get it from eating a ham sandwich.

millertime said:

I'm sorry. I poisoned your ham. For the good of the land.

Pigs grow on trees?

You guys are being creepy again.

Little Bear said:

They do that a lot

i think so, but its a live vaccination then

Oh, sweet, I just read that it is a nasal spray! Sweet jesus, I don't have to get shots for that, thank god!

but you can't hang out with anyone who might have a weakened immune system if you get the nasal spray

I was going to make some joke about not caring, but one of my good friends just had cancer surgery and pneumonia, so shit.

yeah, a girl i'm friends with at school can't go to work if someone gets the live vaccine

just make sure to relax your arm and breathe out, you'll do fine

No, I won't. When I get shots I get faint and feel nauseous. So, I just chance it.

FrankS said:

So I take it you don't have any blood work done either?

Nope. I haven't in forever. And I don't intend to.

Can't they make you pass out like when you go to the dentist?

FrankS said:

Hey, that would be an interesting business, The Painless Phlebotomist. Me, I no longer fear needles. I started giving blood about 15 years ago and after 50 sticks or so, no problem at all.

I want to stop talking about this now because the very thought of a needle's penetration makes me feel sick.

Wait, what does that mean?

Umbra said:

It means that the virus they blow up your nose is a weakened, but alive, form of the virus. Your body will then recognize this virus and form the anti-bodies and T-cells and whatever that will give you immunity should you encounter the 'real' version of the virus.

Other vaccines include 'dead' or inactivated versions of the virus, or chopped-up proteins from the outside of the virus. These vaccines won't make you (or others) sick, but they're also less likely to make you form antibodies: your body won't take the threat very seriously.

But the live virus could actually give you the flu if you have a weak immune system. It could give others the flu if they have weak immune systems and you pass it on to them.

The Salk vaccine against polio used inactivated or dead versions of the virus. The vaccine against smallpox used a live version of a similar virus (cowpox) that was much less deadly to humans. Still, some people got the smallpox vaccine, developed smallpox, and died.

AndCounting said:

And yet somehow this discussion is less depressing than talking about the Cubs.

Wow that's awesome, and crystal clear. Thanks.

Also, I think "cowpox" sounds like the coolest thing ever.

Umbra said:

It is! A guy named Edward Jenner noticed that milkmaids were unusually resistant to smallpox and figured it had something to do with them getting coxpox because they worked with cows a lot.

So he found a woman who had cowpox, injected it into a little kid, waited for a few days, and then injected the kid with smallpox. The kid didn't die, and medical history was advanced.

In fact, the reason we call it a 'vaccine' at all is because of cowpox. Vache is the French word for cow.

I apologize for calling you creepy earlier. This is fascinating and explained in a way that an imbecile like me can understand.

MillsChC said:

Heh heh, coxpox

millertime said:

Over 100 comments today. SUPER DUPER GANG! SUPER DUPER! THATS NICE! NEATO GANG, NEATO!

Edelweiss said:

The Cubs do not need any more position players, except for a power
hitting outfielder, and even then Fox would do fine. They already have enough speed, but do not allow players to steal. Those guys who hit a lot of doubles that should have been singles, who rarely ground into double plays, and who can beat out infield singles are the ones who could potentially steal bases if the team culture would change.