Chicago Cubs Headlines for Tuesday

Winter Classic: Detroit Red Wings v Chicago Blackhawks

Not so fast, Slick

If you're one of the people salivating over the thought of Ryno as the Cubs' new hitting coach, Jim Hendry wants you to know that you can forget it:

Ryne Sandberg won't be a candidate to replace Von Joshua as Cubs hitting coach, sources said, and likely will return as manager of Double-A Tennessee.

See? There. Can we be done talking about it now?

No? Very well.

Sandberg has made no secret of his desire to succeed Lou Piniella as manager in 2011. "Ryne had a Hall of Fame career here as a player," Piniella said. "I'm not the one who is going to be hiring the next manager here, but certainly he'll be in the mix."

That's assuming Piniella doesn't change his mind and stay on -- if he's given that option.

"I don't want to talk beyond next year," he said. "I've been very appreciative that I could come to a wonderful city like this, a wonderful franchise like this, and get a chance to close out my career. It's been everything I've bargained for and even more."

Nothing like finishing up a crappy, crappy season by talking about the guy who's after your job.

Oh hey, speaking of crappy seasons, Jim is letting everyone know that his number one priority this offseason is to find someone to take Milton Bradley off his hands:

Now general manager Jim Hendry has to find a taker for Bradley and the $21 million remaining on his deal before turning to more mundane matters, like finding another run producer to protect Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez.

Hendry has to hope other general managers don't have access to Google, or they may find a litany of episodes from Bradley's past that suggest he had problems dealing with teammates well before he entered the Cubs' clubhouse.

After trading Bradley to Oakland on Dec. 13, 2005, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said: "I went into it with the idea of trying to keep him a Dodger. It was clearer and clearer there was no way to make this thing work. At every turn, I just got stopped. I got it from a lot of different places, including inside the clubhouse, outside the clubhouse, people who have known him very well and have known him for a long time."

You know, when I was in law school, I had a class on negotiation. And I seem to remember that letting everyone know what you're number one priority was was a bad thing. But maybe I heard that wrong.

In addition to getting rid of the guy who OPSed .999 in 2008 (see Jim, that's the way you do it), Hendry would also like a big RBI guy and a pony:

With budget constraints and the Bradley dilemma, Hendry may have to find that run producer in a Bradley trade rather than sign another free-agent outfielder. But any team acquiring Bradley probably is going to have to dump an unwanted contract on the Cubs, meaning a player who put up good numbers in the past but may be past his prime.

There are numerous other non-news headlines out there today, but i'm going to have to ask you, darling reader, to post them yourselves. I'm off to teach people how to read.

And don't forget that tonight is the highly-anticipated Tigers-Twinks game! We could be fake cheering for one of them!

is it wrong that I don't want Sandberg as hitting coach because I'm afraid he'll be fired by March 1 if he is?

Actually, if Ryno wants to be a manager in the big leagues or any of you Cub fans out there want Ryno to be a manager, he should really be a third base coach for a season or two.

if they really do think Sandberg is the manager of the future for the Cubs there is going to be a weird year or two in there after Lou leaves but before Sandberg is ready

thats an if though, I think the fans have given him the job a lot sooner than the team

Honestly, I don't want Sandberg as the Cubs manager. And my reasoning is that he was my favorite player when I was a kid, and I don't want to see him fail.

I feel similarly.

my goodness...we are resigned to the fact that no one can bring a championship to this team.

using the current philosophy? I am

secdelahc said:

I really just don't want to see him booed, as some of the Wrigley faithful are apt to do if he sends a runner at the wrong time. Even still, it would be awesome to see Ryno all the time in the big leagues again.

FrankS said:

At least in Class A leagues, the manager also coaches 3rd base so Ryno has experience at coaching 3rd. A lot of people seem to think that someone wanting to be a major league manager should be a bench coach first. That position would be open if Trammel gets a managing job this off-season.

he needs to go be a bench coach for a year or two. he's not going to be able to scream at guys like Milton Bradley and intimidate/impress them into playing well just because he's Ryne Sandberg.

AndCounting said:

I honestly don't think extra experience helps with that. Lou and his staff have experience growing out their nostrils, but none of it helped with Milton. Brenly won a World Series with no coaching experience (and no Milton Bradley's). Ozzie won one with no regard for the feelings of his players. Jack McKeon won one after taking over midseason even though he kept referring to all his players as "Edith" and trying to escape from the hotel in the middle of the night.

When and if Ryne ever gets the job, he'll do just fine.

Ozzie was the 3rd base coach for the Marlins for a few years before coming to Chicago. I just think managing professional egos is different than managing no-name kids, and I'd like to see him eased into that situation.

AndCounting said:

I agree with the difference (I'm sure Girardi's experience with the Marlins is almost entirely different than his role with the Yankees). I just question how much ego management Ozzie really does. Something tells me his clubhouse demeanor now is exactly what it was when he played. Brenly's the prime example, coming from the broadcast booth straight into taking the helm in Arizona full of big-time egos.

They're two different tactics. If he becomes a first-base/bench coach for a year or two, he gets to observe the personalities at work firsthand and learn from Lou's genius and his mistakes while the players get more familiar and comfortable with him.

But if they bring him in cold, the advantage is the element of the unfamiliar. Some of the Sandberg aura/mystique wears off and the players might look at him as less of an authority figure and more as a fellow player. Harder to be the enforcer with that kind of transition.

My biggest fear, though, is that if they wait two years to consider him as an option, some other team won't be so patient. I'd rather see Ryno struggle in his first year as the Cubs' skipper than watch him succeed with the Brewers or something.

Of course, if Lou can take us all the way next year, they can bring in Perez Hilton in 2011 for all I care.

AndCounting said:

I meant to say, if they ease him in, the mystique wears off. Thinking about Ryno gets me all twitchy and choppy.

Nothing in that part you quoted is from Hendry, though. That's the reporter saying what s/he thinks, not Hendry laying out his strategy.

Not that I'm saying his strategy would be different, but I'm at the point where I just read what Cubs reporters (except for Miles) write, and then believe the opposite.

Also, when I was in grad school, I also had a class on negotiation. It was the biggest waste of time ever. And it was a compressed schedule -- went for something like 10 hours a day for a 7 day week, then the class was over. The professor was annoying, his books were retarded ("Getting to Yes" is one of my least favorite books I've ever read), and his assistant was an asshole.

On the last day, I used my lunch break to take a psuedafed and drink three margaritas, and that made the last half of the class considerably more bearable.

thisyearcub said:

haha, true...is Paul Sullivan writing the headlines now?

the more i think about this, the more i think you are dangerously close to being this site's first EVER banning.

thisyearcub said:

If I go out, I'm a goin' out blazin!! Got tons of ammo...

Fine go crazy.

If you want to insult me, at least say it outright instead of being all passive-agressive about it.

thisyearcub said:

Two g's in aggressive. Grrrrrr!

so now you're going to correct my typos?

Awesome.

So?

What do you think this is? Journalism?

(seriously, I knew that when I was writing it, and the only reason I said it that way was because I'm pretty sure Hendry has said that himself in the last few weeks)

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm down, cowgirl. I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the dumbass beatwriter.

Okay, I'll change my position, just because I can:

Hey Jim, when you have a guy who's a problem in the clubhouse, you don't go all over the place blabbing about it and suspend him for the rest of the season. You make up a fake (minor) injury and put him on the DL through the the end of the season.

It would have been so much easier just to say that the Cubs were shutting him down because he was tight in his legs and they didn't want him hurt for next season. Instead, Hendry (for the second time *coughsosa!cough*) airs our dirty laundry about the guy he pretty much HAS to unload.

Better?

AndCounting said:

If any of the dirty laundry Hendry had aired had been private, I'd agree with you. But with the suspension he wasn't telling the world anything every fan, media member, and GM didn't already know.

Here's the hidden bonus of the suspension: No Milton in the clubhouse and no Milton exposure to the media. The reason we heard so many comments from Milton's mom, preschool guidance counselor, and former Cub greats was because Milton no longer had a microphone in his face. After the suspension the only peep we heard directly from Milton was an apology. If the Cubs had just benched him or shut him down with an injury, the media would have continued to hound him relentlessly.

Someone could have been killed.

you can put him on the DL and send him home.

AndCounting said:

True, but given the timing I can't imagine anyone accepting that explanation from Hendry, especially if Milton suddenly vanished.

Other big wrinkle: what if the suspension WAS the cover-up? What if Milton has some some serious ligament damage in his knee that Hendry didn't want anyone to know about? Perfect solution: suspend him for the problems everyone already knew about (and some believe they can fix) and distract them from the potentially chronic physical injury that could (but might not) heal during the offseason.

Even if he's not hurt bad, putting him on the DL could have raised additional questions about his physical health (as opposed to the obvious nagging mental health issues) and lowered his trade value even further.

Is this how it's going to be?

AndCounting said:

Wordy and over-argumentative? Not always. :)

Someday I'm going to get an editor who worships the ground I walk on and supports me in everything. I need to start looking for some of THOSE kinds of people.

AndCounting said:

Arguing with you is just my way of giving you more opportunities to display your genius.

Is that better?

Julie, if that happens, can we start calling you Al?

Actually, this could have worked, since the last game he played was the one where he pulled himself out with a leg injury. And when Bradley got pissed and told the media to stop talking to him,it probably would have appeared as though he was pissed.... about being injured.

Except for the part about the whole organization being negative and that being why we haven't won for 100 years.

At that point, the jig would have been up.

Didn't he say that after? It is all a blur to me. Well, who cares really. What's done is done.

AndCounting said:

I hate anyone who ever had a big RBI guy. Or a pony.

Why would anyone leave a country full of ponies to come to a non-pony country?

A "Big RBI guy" - what a crock of shit.

Did anyone else listen to the Theo Epstein interview where he said no GMs use RBI in their evaluations?

FrankS said:

Except for ours, of course.

secdelahc said:

And look how well that's worked out for us....

thisyearcub said:

Yes ... a tremendous listen. The link is below. Epstein absolutely takes idiots to task. He's one of those "statistical formula" guys.

FrankS said:

I wonder if Theo could be convinced to take Milton Bradley? Just substitute the name Milton Bradley for J. D. Drew in that conversation.

Bradley would not do well in Boston, well maybe if Schilling were still on the team

other than how outgoing players are sometimes treated by the team I like how he thinks, the Cubs should to try and hire one of his 2 mini me's

FrankS said:

There was some wishful thinking on one blog or another that Theo himself might be available for the right job and the right price.

he grew up less than 2 miles away from Fenway, still lives right there, married a girl who works in Boston, his family is in Boston/Brookline, and its his hometown team he has 2 World Series rings with, the guy has his dream job and since the contract dispute where he didn't work for them for a couple of weeks there hasn't been any talk that things are bad with Henry, thats not wishful thinking thats delusional thinking

now his frat brother mini me's? I think they could steal one of them, or both

He'd be cuter than anyone currently on the team.

of the 2 guys I'm thinking of, you'd approve of 1

I agree. Theo is adorable.

oh hahahahaha.

Not.

thisyearcub said:

No kidding ... someone of Epstein's thought process would solve a lot and help. Aaron Miles-type signings would be no more

AndCounting said:

Of course, he also thought the closer role was overrated and tried a committee when he first arrived in Boston. Colossal failure on that attempt to remove conventional thinking from the equation. Statistical formulas don't track the psychology of baseball. "Clutch hitting" may be a myth, but "clutch choking" is oh so very real. Getting someone who doesn't do that would be nice.

thisyearcub said:

Don't know if it's real, but definitely an oxymoron.

AndCounting said:

Not really. Clutch = a difficult or tight situation. Choke = doing what the Cubs did all season in those situations.

Okay--how about this:

We need a guy who hits the ball a lot.

not to be confused with a guy who hits other people a lot.

secdelahc said:

I'm really bored today. Anyone have any really fun links?

thisyearcub said:

I don't have any fun links, but here are three questions to debate:

1. What to do with Reed Johnson? He blogs, plays solid defense and is a serviceable fourth outfielder, but is that enough to keep him? He'll likely be looking for a multi-year deal, should the Cubs pull the trigger?

2. Other than being white, why are some Cubs fans enamored with Sam Fuld so much? I mean, 94 at-bats to get one RBI? Are you fucking kidding me?

3. "Community" is eventually going to get funny, right?

Bonus: What happened to the "relaxed" Cubs? Didn't hear anything about that after the Pirates/D-backs series.

1. Also he's white and crashes into things, so yes.

2. Because sometimes he looks really cute.

4. I do not know what this is in reference to.

B. Again, the reason why I do not bother reading Chicago media anymore.

I mean I love when guys make great catches, its exciting, but 3 plays is not a reason to keep someone on the team

I just looked at Bruce Miles' column. Fuld's OBP was .409. There's a lot to like about that.

thisyearcub said:

I'd rather package him and Fox and try to get a 2B or SS. Of course, if the Cubs let Johnson walk, then I guess I would be OK with keeping Fuld, b/c the fourth outfielder would be him or Taguchi, and I'd rather not watch So Taguchi play at all.

thisyearcub said:

Or maybe Starlin Castro will just tear it up in ST and get his promotion to the bigs early.

I was at that game, the very first catch. I'll never forget that (at least until the Alzheimer's takes hold)

He never looks cute. He looks like Joseph Fiennes' dorky little brother.

1. yes, if the deal is 1 or 2 years for a reasonable price, beyond that, no
2. I cannot answer any questions on Sam Fuld
3. I hope so, I actually get to watch tv on Thursdays

B purple

Is trading Fuld for a prospect or two a possibility? Because, honestly, the cubs don't really need him/have room for him.

maybe to Boston?

AndCounting said:

1. Yeah, that's enough to keep him. For Aaron Miles money, not Milton Bradley money.

2. a) Sam Fuld is dreamy. b) There's been somewhat of a void in the "outfielders who can field" department. c) He hit .299 with a .409 OBP, and his homer and 2 RBI actually came off a lefty. Theo wouldn't care about his lack of RBI or his diminutive stature. d) Some people just get lost in his eyes. Those smoky pools of desi... Never mind.

Bonus: After they became mathematically eliminated they plunged from relaxed into WTF really quick.

AndCounting said:

3. (forgot the most important one) No. No it won't.

they got unrelaxed and started sucking again.

1. Yes. I like the way he moves.

2. Beacuse he once smashed his face into the fence. White people like that kind of thing.

3. God, I hope so, because right now, it's making me sad. I

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I watched two episodes of "Community" and gave up.

jtbwriter said:

Good Morning from comfortably cool So Cal....

With apologies to the other Julie-I'd rather see Ryno's superior ass then Harden's on the Cubs bench next year..... He'd make a great mgr-in-training to Lou!
As for Fuld-maybe in 2 years!

Dmband said:

My concern is our 5th starter...With Harden leaving, the idea of Spellcheck, Marshall, or Gorzelanny filling that spot worries me. All three are much more suited for the bullpen, spellcheck maybe better suited for Iowa next year.

And as far as Reeeeeeed...I like the guy, but I dont see a reason to re-sign...unless we can get him for a basement price...

and it appears, Community is not funny. Which is disappointing. One of these days, they are going to do a very entertaining True Hollywood Story about Chevy Chase...for a while (80's) he was the biggest comedy star on the planet....then....nothing. He pissed someone off...

Chevy Chase is supposedly just a huge asshole in real life, which saddens me, as Clark Griswold and Ty Webb loom large in my life.

FrankS said:

It was interesting to watch Chevy play the villain on "Chuck" last year.

Dmband said:

Yes..I have heard that, but even huge assholes end up getting gigs somewhere if they are talented....(see Milton Bradley)....

Chase just about disappeared for 15 years, perhaps he and Mickey Rourke were hanging out together....Now THAT would make for a good TV series...Rourke and Chase (could be a good cop, bad cop drama in which neither ever turns in evidence in cocaine related arrests)...

he was addicted to pills and in rehab for about a decade.

Haven't we all?

Ten years from now I can say that he and I have something in common.

What time is the big game tonight? I have to go see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" at 2:45. :S

I thought the game started around 4pm...but I might be wrong...all I know is I'll be out looking at houses this evening and will likely miss the whole thing.

Speaking of that, anyone want to buy our house?

Oh dammit. Now I have to do the game thea before I go.

Is it less than $100?

I'm afraid not. Just add a few more zeros to the end of that. I think it is quite affordable, and the house is in great shape with lots of work done to it over the 6 years I've own it. Great starter home for those of you who are looking to get the $8000 tax credit! It's just gotten a bit small for me since I added the wife and the baby.

thisyearcub said:

Miguel Cabrera has a mondo problem.

Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera -- under fire for a weekend of bad baseball and what police describe as heavy drinking at Birmingham's Townsend Hotel and a scuffle with his wife -- now has to answer for a second bizarre incident at the Townsend. A police report released late Monday quotes witnesses as saying an erratic Cabrera taunted an overweight, 15-year-old boy at the hotel in late August and had to be escorted out. One witness said Cabrera "acted as if he was on some drug" during the outburst; witnesses said the confrontation grew so heated that he challenged the teen's table to a fight outside and implied he had a gun there.

Fatty Fatterson!

Yeah. Remember when I said I didn't want to trade for Cabrera because I thought he was a jackass with problems and everyone made fun of me?

Ahem.

Well, aren't you special.

There is something to be said for life experience with certain types of people.

It's funny, I missed part of it, but I believe Steve Stone (why do I still listen to that guy?) was saying much the same about Cabrera this morning on the Score.

Oh great---being on the same wavelength with Steve Stone does not make me happy.

It's funny--I didn't know anything about Bradley's childhood, but I had a theory about what it was like. Then I found an article about him and his mom, and I was dead on.

Because I'm oh-so-smart? No. Because I've known a million guys like Milton Bradley? Yes. All the crap that comes out of his mouth---I've heard it all before.

I completely believe you on that stuff. The really sad part is when people actually believe these individuals when they say they will change, or that they have learned from the past and won't repeat it. Because unless a serious consequence happens (a death or jail time or something similar) or the individual seeks professional help in these matters, they generally will not change.

Or that personal issues, be they real or imagined, won't impact someone's ability to play decent baseball.

I'm not looking for kudos, I'm just saying that I'm not always as stupid as some people think.

And you are definitely not as stupid as I look.

Some of us may actually have agreed with you, it is just that making fun of you takes priority for us.

I remember specifically arguing with Maddog about this, about whether the fact that he was having problems with all his teammates and coaches in Florida should stop the Cubs from going after him.

So far, I've been right about Milton imploding and I've been right about Cabrera imploding.

Jesus people, I was a criminal defense attorney--you think I can't spot a mood disorder when I see one? Sometimes things get in the way of playing baseball.

thisyearcub said:

On the other hand, Ted Lilly has been pretty much a model citizen. I'm willing to give players a second chance, and if they mess that up, then that's it. Milton f'ed his up with a number of things, while, to my knowledge, Lilly has not given any more managers a bloody nose (only Yadier Molina).

I don't think it's about messing up and giving second chances, it's about seeing a pattern of behavior. There are certain things people do that I don't really care to see them get a second chance (Elijah Dukes and Michael Vick come to mind).

As I keep saying with Milton--this wasn't his seond chance, it was like his 4th. He had quite a track record. Everyone should have seen where this was headed. Most of all, Jim Hendry.

and, for the record, i'm not saying i'm always right. i'm just saying that, sometimes, people say things that tell you something about them and the way they think. and sometimes that should be considered along with the stat sheet, because no one puts up good stats from jail.

Umbra said:

Milton Bradley being a felon, of course.

thisyearcub said:

Now, now, Umbra ... truthfully, Bradley has gone to jail—three days, for a traffic violation.

That's quite a traffic violation.

thisyearcub said:

He left the scene before the cops finished writing the ticket and then didn't stop afterward.

The po-po usually doesn't like when you do that.

He also beat the crap out of a stop light.

Go check the old BCB and LOHO archives.

thisyearcub said:

Gotcha. Didn't find anything on this site, but did discover it on BCB.

Speaking of BCB, congrats to Shawn Goldman, smarter than, well, lots of us, in becoming their newest staff member. That is the best decision Al has made, since maybe ever. Might have to creep over there more now, should be interesting.

I have to admit... a(nother personal weakness of mine... I love making fun of really obese people :(

I have two interns that together must weigh *at least* 550.

I have a weakness for making fun of really gay people.

Fortunately everyone thinks I'm straight.

That doesn't stop us from making fun of you.

I have a weakness for making fun of just about everyone.

millertime said:

The Brewers are going to sign Trevor Hoffman to a 1 year, $8 Million deal. $8 Million. Wow.

He was pretty good this year. But he's also 67 years old. So...

I'm glad, actually, because if he was available, Jim Hendry would probably sign him to a 4 year, $40 million deal...and Hoffman probably go all Kevin Gregg on us about half way through the first season of that contract.

Umbra said:

The Wisconsinites around here believe that the Brewers made this deal because they are a small market team that cannot compete with the big boys. Waiting for the logic shoe to drop in 3...2...

What happened to our pre-season predictions? Did I win Sam Fuld's pants???

They probably disappeared with the old site. It's just as well, I'm fairly sure my predictions were just about 100% wrong, except those I made about Milton Bradley.

Sam Fuld's pants disappeared to an old website?

No, silly. The predictions disappeared. UGH!

I don't know. I have to go find the diary and then I have to figure out who won. And then I have to find Sam Fuld's pants. . .