Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

First Signs Of Autumn In The UK
Isn't this more pleasant than a double header sweep to the Pirates?

Neither Ted Lilly nor Carlos Zambrano get to end the season with a win. Appropriately, neither was happy about yesterday or the season as a whole. We'll start with Ted:

"Well, I'm not real satisfied with it," Lilly said. "First thing is that there wasn't an opportunity for myself or any of us to get a chance to pitch in the postseason. And I missed time. So I'm not happy about that. One of the goals that I have going into the year is to be a guy that the club can rely on to make all of their starts, rack up innings. I wasn't able to do that."

And on to Z:

"It was a very disappointing game," Zambrano said. "I wasn't able to come back. The season is over for us, and I'm going to work hard in the off-season and come back ready for next year. Like I said the other day, we learn from experience, and obviously, this was an experience for me. Just put this year behind me and think about next year.

"Start my throwing program in January. This year I will start earlier with my conditioning program, in November, and we'll go from there. The goal for next year is come healthy and come ready for spring training."

We have a further update on the Ted Lilly t-shirt from yesterday.

So after the Cubs' 4-0 loss to Pittsburgh in the opener of a doubleheader, Lilly entered the postgame interview room wearing a T-shirt that read: "With Reed We Will Succeed."

"Hey, I believe it," Lilly said. "I definitely enjoy playing with the guy. Regardless of what happens with any of the players next year, our front office is going to do the best job they can.

"One thing for sure is I don't have the answers as to what we need to do."

Johnson said a flight attendant gave him the T-shirt and that he "didn't have enough guts" to wear it. So he gave it to Lilly, proclaiming "Ted wears anything."

Asked if he endorsed the message, Johnson replied: "I don't know. I guess Teddy did. I think he wore it as an undershirt today, at least while he was warming up. I know he came in sweating in it pretty good. ... I guess it's nice to have some teammates that want you back."

And a bit more from Ted Lilly, since he's always newsworthy. This time he's talking about next year.

"Yeah, I certainly enjoy playing here," he said. "But first and foremost, I have work to do in 2010. I'm only three years into a four-year commitment that I have with this organization, and I feel like I still have a lot of work to do, really.

"One of the goals that I was brought over here (for) was to try and get this team to the postseason and win some postseason games. That's what I'd like to do, win some playoff games. I'm not satisfied or really feel like I kind of met the expectations at this point.

"Maybe next year will be different. If I can win some playoff games, it'll be a little more satisfying."

Speaking of next year, a certain former closer is either delusional or supremely optomistic.

Pending free agent Kevin Gregg wants to stay with the Cubs and also considers himself a closer looking toward 2010.

Um, okay. I guess a little self confidence never hurt anyone.

''If teams are going to look at me to close, they know I can close,'' he said. ''To have the ups and downs this year after my surgery was to be expected, really. And looking forward to coming into a completely healthy year ready to go for next year, I'm excited about that.

''It'll be nice to go through a year where I don't have to basically go through rehab on my knee as I go, and being back to where I was last year until I hurt my knee.''

Oh, I get it now! It was his knee that threw all those home run balls. I feel so much better about Kevin Gregg, and am formally regrouping the Kevin Gregg for closer committee.

Um...

Where did that knee injury come from?

Did the Cubs know he had a bum knee when he was traded?

I think it's all an bad excuse.

Gregg not only sucks at pitching, he sucks at coming up with excuses as to why he sucks at pitching.

MillsChC said:

That's his "trick" knee right? It was mentioned throughout the season

I got nothing this morning

no doubt...

That bidding for this site better yield some good results so we have an interesting team to talk about.

maybe I should start researching the current options, I don't want to be unprepared for our future team

you never prepared for our old team.

but it was the summer I had laying around doing nothing to get accomplished, its fall now, I have homework, I need something to help me procrastinate with that

thisyearcub said:

Here is something to talk about aside from these "relaxed" (whoops!) Cubs:

I'd like to get the opinion of the Chicagoans about the 2016 Olympics. I, for one, am excited to come visit and take part, but I don't live there. I may have a differing opinion if I lived in the city, not sure I'd be happy about hundreds of thousands of people converging on Charlotte plus it becoming a massive terrorist target.

So, are you guys happy, sad, moving, going to take advantage by renting your house? (And yes, I know it's not official yet, but odds are Chicago will win tomorrow).

I remember the Atlanta Olympics there were very few Atlanta residents left in the city that were not doing something related, the tourists were mostly really happy, friendly and there was a great atmosphere that went along with it

If I'm not living in Chicago at that time I would definitely think about visiting the family types and going to an event or 2, or even just heading down to see all the tourists, if for some reason I end up back in Chicago I'd definitely think about heading out to the family in the burbs to get away from it all

Growing up in the Chicago area, and being an Olympic junkie, I always wanted to have the Olympics come to Chicago. It's really a dream of mine.

I went to the Olympics in Atlanta with my friend, and it was great, even though I really felt Atlanta was a bit of a dump. We saw Tennis, Basketball, Baseball and Track and Field.

In reference to the Chicago bid, what I took away from the Atlanta Olympics was that Chicago would be, in the end, an ideal site for the games and, honestly, I think they would be hugely successful and beneficial for the city in the long run. Unlike some cities that have had the Olympics in recent years like Atlanta, Athens and Barcelona, Chicago doesn't need the Olympics to help promote civil works projects that the city may desperately need (outside of some public transportation stuff).

The lakefront makes an ideal site for most of competitions. Chicago has the airports to support the event. Chicago has the space available for the athlete village. Chicago has a good site for the Olympic stadium...in a neighborhood that would benefit from it after the games leave. Chicago, and the surrounding areas have the hotel capacity to support the games (unlike Atlanta...we had to drive almost and hour and a half every day to get to the events).

I know many people feel that they might be inconvenienced by the games, both before and during. Well, I think the jobs benefits will be huge and I think there will be lasting benefits for the city after the games are over.

Costs? Yeah, the Olympics will likely end up costing the tax payers in Chicago, Cook County, and the State a bit, but I think increased revenues from hosting the games via sales taxes, hotel taxes, etc, will balance that out in the long run.

For me personally, I look forward to the fact the road and mountain biking events will be happening very close to where I live. I also hope that the race timing company I work for has a chance to participate in an event or two for these Olympics.

Just by coincidence, I'm going to be in Chicago tomorrow for the Cubs game...hopefully we will be celebrating Chicago winning the Olympics too!

I agree that I think Chicago is a good city. they can spread the stuff around to other places enough too

my one thing is I really hope they use local talent for all the cool new buildings that will inevitably get done, Chicago has such a rich architectural history, especially with the Burnham plan for the World's fair, that it would be such a great opportunity to showcase what is happening now

I am a little concerned about the design of the Olympic Stadium...

They are using the same firm the designed the spaceship that was placed on top of Soldier Field. Chicago doesn't need any other spaceship for a stadium.

they're local as in they are american, but aren't they Boston based?

why not SOM? I'm sure someone there could figure out a stadium, or HDR, their stadium people aren't based in Chicago but they have a local office, or Cannon Design, they do great work (sure out of St. Louis, but nobody is perfect)

Aisle424 said:

The Olympic Stadium is supposed to be temporary, so it won't be a permanent problem if its not designed well.

Also, they will be free to design it from the ground up instead of having to try to put a modern structure within the existing colonades of Soldier Field.

Their site has the rendition that most people have have run with as what the stadium will look like:

thats ok, but thats not the firm who designed soldier field, they did the master plan, they're local though, so yay

its temp, with a permanent 10,000 seat arena to replace it after the games (which I still don't get)

MN Pat said:

Off topic: Did anyone else watch CSI:NY last night? The evil murdering dude (who was himself dying of lung cancer) called himself Gravedigger.

Interesting factoid. That was ACTUALLY our gravedigger.

I've been unable to post on my own site all morning because of the unfortunate "Cursed in Chicago" ads.

They are upsetting.

Dmband said:

Not to be a downer, I live in the city and travel on a route that would most likely be affected by the Olympics. I for one, want nothing to do with the games. This city has been and always will be run by PROFESSIONAL crooks. This is going to be an injection of capital which they will then use to reward thier buddies with construction bids, etc. It is my opinion very little of the benefits will actually go to schools, improving public transportation, etc. and we will be left with more vacant buildings than we already have (due to foreclosure, etc.) It is also inevitable that this will cost us in increased taxes. We already pay the highest sales tax IN THE COUNTRY. Property taxes are also ridiculous. Furthermore, the city will find add'l revenue generators that will ultimatley cost us the residents.

Hate to damper this, but count me out.

if I live in the city itself I'd totally bail for a month

Here's my two cents:

There was a time in my life, both in gymastics and in diving, when the Olympics were actually a real possiblity in my life. Like most other young athletes, I never made it, but I still cry at every opening ceremony and still really really want to be a part of that.

The problem in this town is that there have been 128 Chicago Public School kids killed already this year. It seems like there are 5,6 shootings every night lately. Not only that, as a law clerk, I was unfortunate enough to visit several CHA buildings (including Cabrini Green), and I was absolutely sickened by the way CHA residents are forced to live.

We don't have enough schools, good teachers, food, transportation, housing, and shelter beds for people who live in neighborhoods like Englewood, Pilsen, Little Village, and Roseland. The excuse from the City has always been that that we don't have enough money to adequately address those issues.

Suddenly though, the City is capable of guaranteeing hundredds of millions (if not billons) of dollars for the games and getting corporate sponsors to pick up the tabs for all kinds of projects.

So as much as I personally would love to have the games here, I want to know why we couldn't put 1/100th of the effort we put into "backing the bid" into our poorer neighborhoods?

If I have to choose between taking care of the people who live here and the privileged athletes from other countries, it's not really a contest to me.

Dmband said:

For the record, the word on the street is we are getting the games for sure...

thisyearcub said:

Yeah, I believe that as well. If any city other than Chicago wins tomorrow, I think it'll be a pretty big upset.

I thought Rio was the fave

you're assuming the IOC votes based on practical evidence of who can best host the games. They don't. It's all about favors and prejudices.

Remember, London wasn't considered the favorite for the 2012 games going into the vote...Paris was. It was quite the upset when London was awarded those games.

thisyearcub said:

There's enough corruption up there to make me think Chicago can take care of all that.

Aisle424 said:

Obama wouldn't have gone if he thought Chicago was going to get denied. I'll be shocked more than when Aaron Miles does something right if Chicago isn't getting them.

I find it hard to image Obama would have gone if he didn't have a pretty good idea we were going to get them. Otherwise, he'd looked stupid.

Dmband said:

Julie you couldnt be more right about the priorities of the city being out of whack. Earlier this year, they couldnt even negotiate money for policeman.

Very well said. Sadly, it appears its a foregone conclusion....

One note of chicago pride, think about the people associated with Chicago..

The Obama's, Oprah, and MJ (course he didnt go)...

But thats 4 people that may be the MOST FAMOUS people ON THE PLANET!

And they are Chicago's very own...thats pretty cool.