Chicago Cubs Friday Headlines

Umpire Mike Winters
You're OUT!

Ok, I'll explain the ump in a second. Lets start with some Cubs news.
After a day of loving happiness about the newest member of the coaching staff Day 2 brings the inevitable questioning of paying $2.42 million on a coach. First from the "national" press (I use quotes because its really the New York and New England press)

The Chicago Cubs have gotten so used to throwing big money at bigger problems that they're starting to overpay for coaches, too.

snip

I don't blame him for taking the money. What I'm trying to figure out is: How is he going to be that much different than the two men who used to guide the Cubs hitters -- Gerald Perry and Von Joshua? And, most importantly, why in the world would Cubs general manager Jim Hendry pay a coach that much money when his best player admitted just a few weeks ago that a hitting coach isn't as important as one might think.

and is it sour grapes or just telling the truth when everyone in Texas thinks the Cubs overpaid too?

Less than a week after Rudy Jaramillo announced that he was ending his 15-year relationship with the Texas Rangers, the Cubs offered him the security and greener pastures he was seeking.

A loyal cadre of fatalistic Rangers fans will anguish over Rudy's departure, no doubt. But let's review the arithmetic.

The Rangers' team batting average dropped 23 points this past season from its 2008 average. Run production dropped by 117 runs.

What makes a good hitting coach? Good players. And some of Jaramillo's best ones let him down this season.

Oh, and the D Lee quote shows up in every single one of these articles, I'm sure the new coach looooooves that

But the hitting coach isn't what is concerning everyone. Mark Potash with the Sun Times is now calling for the Cubs to hire Dave Duncan hmm, getting Duncan

With all due respect to Rudy Jarmillo, Dave Duncan is the best pitching coach in baseball history. He should be the first pitching coach in the Hall of Fame. He has a record of developing young pitchers, resurrecting old pitchers, squeezing one golden season out of the most mediocre of arms and turning your trash into his treasure that is unmatched anywhere in baseball. Nobody's even close.

no more Rasputin? interesting.

In other non-Cubs news did anyone watch the game last night? Personally I turned it off and went to sleep when it was 4-0 Angels, evidently I missed a great game that people in my office are talking about. But back to New York for Game 6 so Fox should be happy.

and to the umps. Seems the bad calls (btw they were bad calls, but in the next article they are referred to as "disputed" which is kind of annoying) are catching up with the union. Because MLB is going with all veterans for the World Series

An all-veteran crew would break baseball tradition. The AP report said that in 24 of the last 25 World Series, the umpiring crew has included at least one umpire working the event for the first time. At least two first-time World Series umpires have been on each of the last five crews, and there were three first-time umps in each of the last two World Series.

and the crew is...

Joe West, Dana DeMuth and Gerry Davis, Brian Gorman, Jeff Nelson and Mike Everitt, including 3 crew chiefs

Thats it for me. Anyone find any other fun news I should know?

carl jumping in
Bruce Miles says there's no way Milty comes back, even with Jaramillo around. There also seems to be some interest surrounding the surly right fielder.
Here's the deal. Cubs GM Jim Hendry has been working the phones, and was doing so today, trying to move Bradley. Cubs people tell me Jim has been talking with several teams, so there appears to be no shortage of interest, something also reported by national baseball writer Ken Rosenthal, who cites baseball people as saying there is widespread interest in Bradley.

And here's the report from Ken Rosenthal:
Multiple teams are in contact the Cubs about outfielder Milton Bradley, with one source saying, "You would be shocked at the level of interest." The Cubs remain confident that they can trade Bradley without assuming the vast majority of the $21 million remaining on his contract over the next two years. New owner Tom Ricketts has set a limit for how much money the Cubs will include in a deal, one source says. The Cubs can take back a contract but pay only a fixed amount of cash.

millertime said:

In other news, the Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Little Bear said:

Where do you get your comic book news?

millertime said:

KVWN Channel 4 News Team.

There was a time, a time before cable. When the local anchorman reigned supreme. When people believed everything they heard on TV. This was an age when only men were allowed to read the news. And in San Diego, one anchorman was more man then the rest. His name was Ron Burgundy. He was like a god walking amongst mere mortals. He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo. In other words, Ron Burgundy was the balls.

millertime said:

This Jaramillo thing is getting way too much coverage. Yes, he's overpaid. No, he's not going to hurt/help the team any more than a different hitting coach would hurt/help the team.

Overpaying our hitting coach will have about the same impact as overpaying a hot-dog vender. To cover the incremental raise in salary, ticket prices would have to go up by .50 at the most.

but there is nothing else happening with the Cubs, they needed to announce some off season construction, or a new charity, or something, instead there is just Jaramillo

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

flyball's right... when there's only one thing every two weeks to talk about, it gets killed. There's some news about proposed construction:

"Lake View community groups are lining up against a plan to construct a hotel, retail and residential complex across from Wrigley Field featuring a building so tall they fear it would set a precedent and destroy the residential character of their neighborhood."

personally I think that building looks like it should be a bit farther south in Lincoln Park

I used to live in Wrigleyville and I'm not sure I would have wanted a hotel in the neighborhood, but then again that corner could use a little sprucing up, and wider sidewalks, there is never enough room for the pedestrians

this is why we should make up rumors. then we can talk about them.

i heard we're trading Bradley for Mark DeRosa. Discuss.

berselius said:

That would be a very Cubs-ian move, since DeRosa is a free agent (dying laughing)

Umbra said:

It would be fitting because they traded DeRosa for Bradley in popular memory, also.

hehe, they got George Wendt to say "Da Beaaars" on the radio

millertime said:

Is it just me, or is Jeff Dunham's comedy a little racist?

I take it you saw his new show last night. It was a little disappointing.

And, no, his comedy isn't a little racist...it's very racist. He just covers it up by using his puppets.

thisyearcub said:

"You would be shocked at the level of interest."

No, I wouldn't, because Bradley is a good player and the Cubs should keep him!!!!!! Someone's going to get a steal.

Until he gets pissed off about something and runs himself out of that town, too.

Dmband said:

Interesting comments from Jaramillo yesterday regarding Bradley. When asked point blank if he "wanted Bradley on the team next year", Rudy did his best dance moves around it and basically said, "I dont have anything against him personally".

When asked again, if you have the choice, do you WANT him on the team, Rudy answered "if thats what they decide".

What Im getting at is he basically did his best to say, No, I dont WANT him on the team but if he's here I will work with him.

He also said it took a while in Texas for Rudy to "win Bradley over".

TYC- I recognize he COULD be a good player, but I am not sure why you would want someone on your team that has made it very clear he wants nothing to do with this organization. From his interaction's with Lou and Von Joshua, to his comments about the fans...this guys gotta go...we dont need a circus around him next year to start the season.

Umbra said:

I think, apropos of nothing and using the exact same evidence that you give, that Rudy Jaramillo really meant that he is so in love with Milton Bradley that he is furious with the machinations of society that have tried to keep them apart for so long. These 2000-year-old rules are anachronisms and do not apply to modern society! You just gotta submit to yourself.

thisyearcub said:

If the Cubs get something decent in return, I will back off, because I do understand the bad vibes surrounding the situation. But if they trade him for almost nothing and have to eat the contract, I really won't understand that move. Putting Sam Fuld out in right may make the clubhouse a happier place and appease the fans, but it's not going to get this team back into the postseason.

I understand Bradley had a horrific year, I just don't see it happening again. If it does, I will eat my words publicly.

we need to remember this post, so it can be printed and served for your meal

thisyearcub said:

I doubt he's going to repeat his line. Do you really think he's going to struggle that bad at the plate two years in a row?

honestly I have no idea, I think he could have an amazing year, or really struggle, but I think the odds of the latter happening increase if he stays on the Cubs

horrific baseball-wise or personality-wise? because when it comes to interactions with his club, it's been a pretty typical year for him.

And, honestly, his number baseball-wise I don't think were horrific. They were terrible when compared to 2008, but compared to the rest of his career, they were just a little below average.

Soriano, now there's a player who had a horrific season.

thisyearcub said:

I'm talking in games over a full season.

thisyearcub said:

Baseball. I really could care less about his interactions with a club, until it's proven that's something that helps his team lose/win.

can't we agree though that there is some behavior that is not acceptable? and does affect the team? perhaps in your opinion Bradley's was not of that kind, but it does exist

I do believe that a happier work environment makes for better workers, and since for the players it is a job you can extend that to baseball, its not the end all be all, and as outsiders we probably can't determine it at all, but I gotta believe it exists

thisyearcub said:

Oh yeah, absolutely. But the things I would think aren't acceptable are also what go on in baseball. As in: hitting a teammate, getting into a fight with your manager, etc. These are things current Cubs have done as well.

For every Red Sox "team of idiots," there's a 1970s Yankees squad that hated each other. Both were successful.

I'm not saying there isn't such a thing as "clubhouse chemistry." Obviously there is. It's not the end all be all, you're totally right. So the question is, at what cost do the Cubs want to make everything happy-go-lucky? Bradley, Soriano and Zambrano are usually the target of fans. Jettison them, and what do you have? Probably not a competitive team.

oog of ulams said:

Should be pretty obvious the organization isn't letting him answer that question. His words don't indicate any feelings on his part other than "I had better keep my mouth shut."

Dmband said:

Thats deep.

I went to court today for the first time in over a year. Everybody said 'hey! where've you been the last few weeks?'

Let's pick a day for LOHO Day.

pick a day...any day

Saturday, July 24 against St. Louis?

sure, that sounds good

are you even looking at a calendar or just trying to shut me up?

I think of next summer in terms of thesis presentations, late july could work, i could get the third in right before that, take a vacation for a weekend and start working on the 4th when i get back

Getting tickets for that day (St. Louis) will probably be difficult.

The days I would suggest are June 19th, July 17th or August 7th.

I'm sure I'll be in MN on August 7th.

are those weekends or weekday? a Friday might be fun

They are all saturdays...but the cubs play each of those fridays as well.

millertime said:

Tuesday!

thisyearcub said:

ROAD TRIP!

Dmband said:

My question would be why isnt the organization letting him answer that question, unless his answer would be, "no I dont want him" and thus would further destroy what little leverage we have for a trade. My assumption was based on the fact that there is no reason why he would choose not to answer that, unless he truly did not want him on the team. Whats the harm in saying he does want him on the team? If you are a hitting coach and someone asks you, "do you WANT Jeter on your team"....You are going to say HELL YES.

unless he doesn't want him on the team but doesn't want to be mean

millertime said:

I think more than anything, it's the perceived role of the hitting coach. Jaramillo is supposed to make sure our hitters are maintaining good form and a solid approach to hitting. If someone is in a slump, hopefully Jaramillo can help them if it is a mechanically related issue.

Jaramillo doesn't have much of a say in whether a player stays or goes, so his opinion on Bradley isn't really important. It might be interesting from a fan point of view, but from a professional view, it's out of line. Jaramillo picked the safe, conservative answer.

millertime said:

The harm comes from causing a division in management. If Jaramillo says "Yes, I think Bradley is very talented, and I've worked well with him before, lets keep him", and then the Cubs trade Bradley, it could potentially cause stories to written about divisions amongst the Cubs coaching staff.

Also, if Jaramillo says openly "I don't want Bradley", and then the Cubs can't trade Bradley for some reason, it creates a bad working environment.

Jaramillo doesn't need to like the players he coaches, he just needs to help them out from time to time.

If anything, I hope Bradley pays attention to how Jaramillo is dealing with the media. While I have defended Bradley in the past, I admit he has done a terrible job of interacting with the media. In the future I hope Bradley learns to quietly and politely decline to comment on everything from now on.

millertime said:

Why do we need Dave Duncan?

because the guy at the Sun Times needed something to write about

Umbra said:

So we can get Tony LaRussa.

Dmband said:

Miller I agree 100% about the role of the hitting coach. Regarding comments on whether a guy stays or goes, if Rudy says, "yes, you know what I want him, and I can make a lot of progress with him"...this at least gives teams the perception the Cubs are willing to keep him. We have already pretty much destroyed what, if any, leverage we have in any potential trades. Personally, I was surprised because I had been speculating this move was going to be the way the Cubs sold us on Bradley returning...but its does not appear to be the case. Im sure he will go to another team and have a career year.

Onion Funny:

"ANAHEIM, CA—Yankees management announced at a postgame press conference Monday that reliever Joba Chamberlain had permission to stay up past his normal 9 p.m. bedtime and would be allowed to attend Game 4 of the ALCS in its entirety. "Young pitchers aren't supposed to stay up late, but he earned it with his recent commitment to improving in the bullpen, plus he asked very nicely," said Yankees GM Brian Cashman, adding that Chamberlain would not, under any circumstance, be allowed to stay up for extra innings. "He needs to understand, though, that this is a special occasion because it's the postseason. He still has to put on his pajamas after the fifth inning. And no candy or soda after 8." Cashman added that, despite rumors, Yankees reliever Phil Hughes would not be allowed to sleep over at Chamberlain's home Thursday as it is a game night."

There is a job interview going on at the table next to me, and let me tell you, it is one painful conversation to be near. It's a marketing interview, and I keep hearing the words "paradigm," "going forward," "methodology" and "outside the box." I want to throw tea on both of them.

Umbra said:

As this company shifts its paradigm going forward, we must keep pushing our methodology outside the box in order to find the price points for our niche market product at the margins of the black swan long tail.

Compu Glogal Hyper Meganet

millertime said:

Business-speak: "I think we've gotten to the point where locating the building that houses all of the bound content is a workable model for us."

English: "Where is the library?"

Business-speak: "An inquiry must be made as to whether or not our competitor's model is capable of delivering content to its consumers."

English: "How are you?"

Business-speak: "At this juncture, it would be prudent to reveal that our current model is a sound one."

English: "I'm fine."

Business-speak: "I recognize that the potassium-rich content you're providing has some value, but am uncertain as to how much value it would really have to an individual consumer."

English: "How much does that banana cost?"

Business-speak: "The value of the potassium-rich content is very much appreciated by the consumer."

English: "This banana is good."

Dmband said:

Ugggg. Those buzzwords are the WORST. If you hear, "ahead of the curve" or "high level overview" run.....run far and fast.

thisyearcub said:

Looks like those Deadspin "rumors" may turn out to be actually factual:

millertime said:

Ahh yes. From the always reliable New York Post.

I don't care how factual it is. Deadspin and the the people who comment there are acting like assholes. Whether they're right or wrong about the story, it doesn't matter.

This was my point as well. Much of what they've posted over there isn't newsworthy, it's just vindictive.

thisyearcub said:

Maybe you should just stop reading Deadspin then. Their goal isn't to be like CNN and be newsworthy, they take a different angle, always have.

But the truth is coming out over at ESPN, which is interesting. I think some people find it newsworthy. I understand yoy don't though.

millertime said:

Ahh yes. Deadspin takes the different angle, always have, where they encourage posts like:

"I'm not sure why I say this, but if you were to layer her face in melted American cheese and four strips of applewood-smoked bacon, she wouldn't be half bad"

Or the hilarious:

" Look at how wide that grin is, I bet she can fit 2 in at the same time."

I don't mind Deadspin covering the news their own way, or a different way than ESPN/CNN, but when is it ever appropriate to tolerate or encourage comments like the one's above?

thisyearcub said:

No, it's from the always reliable truth, as in straight from that lady's mouth that confirmed it.