Chicago Cubs Headlines for Friday

Chicago Cubs Baker Fields Pop-up From Philadelphia Phillies Francisco
Let's play pretend. Imagine the Cubs are still in the race, though just barely. Imagine the wild card winner had lost already, and Carlos Marmol was on the mound with the tying run on base. He's got two strikes on the other team's sixth hitter, and you're just one knee-buckling slider away from victory.

Instead of strike three, that pitch ends up on Waveland, and so do the Cubs' hopes and dreams of the postseason. Seems like a plausible, if not probable situtation. But guess what? It wasn't the Cubs losing this time.

This time, the Cubs got to ruin the Giants' night in spectacular fashion. With a one-run lead in the top of the ninth, two outs and two strikes, Jeff Baker hit a two run homer to put the Cubs on top, 3-2. The best part about it? The Rockies lost, and the Giants were on the cusp of moving to within three games in the wildcard race.

"This was a tough loss for the Giants tonight," manager Lou Piniella said. "The fans were excited about the Colorado loss. Boy, it got awfully quiet when Baker hit that home run."

Baker said he was just trying to put the ball in play, but it went into the left field bleachers. It was probably his biggest hit as a Cub.

"It was a good hit, a good time," he said. "(Ryan) Dempster threw a heck of a game for us, and it was good to get him off the hook there."

Remember how eager we were to see if Fukudome could be that left-handed bat in the middle of the lineup? Then how eager we were for Milton Bradley to be that left-handed protection behind Ramirez? I think we all know how both those scenarios turned out, and so does Lou. So this off-season, don't expect the Cubs to be blindly chasing left-handed free agents around the hot stove league.

'I don't care if he hits between his legs,'' manager Lou Piniella said before Jeff Baker's two-run home run with two outs in the ninth inning Thursday helped the Cubs stave off elimination from the National League Central race with a 3-2 victory against the San Francisco Giants. ''Right-handed, left-handed, switch hitter, it doesn't really matter.''

That was far from the case last winter, when the Cubs targeted the switch-hitting Bradley as the lefty run-producer they made a priority for balancing their lineup.

''If you looked at our situation, you'd have thought, 'Yeah, left-handed, ideally,''' Piniella said. ''But what happens is that sometimes that player isn't available or doesn't fit into the scheme of things, and you pass up on a good right-handed hitter. To me, the best thing that we could do is add a legitimate RBI bat to the middle part of the order.

Going from encouraging to sad, we may have seen the end of bootyliciousness in Chicago. Rich Harden has shut himself down for the rest of the season.

But Harden said Thursday he was shutting it down for the rest of the season, a mutual decision he reached with the Cubs. The right-hander, who has some fatigue in his right arm, made 26 starts and went 9-9 with a 4.09 ERA.

"At this point, it would be a lot different if we were in it and they needed me to pitch," Harden said. "I'm still healthy and feeling good. I take that as a positive for the season."

(snip)

"It's more precautionary," he said. "If the team needed me, that's completely different. It's a good opportunity to get some of the young guys innings. It seemed like the right decision. I didn't feel like I had anything to prove right now."

And in the more bad news division, Derrek Lee hurt himself sliding again.

First baseman Derrek Lee was unable to take the field in the bottom of the ninth inning of the Cubs' 3-2 victory against the San Francisco Giants after aggravating a neck injury while sliding into second on a steal in the top of the inning.

''Every time he slides, I cringe,'' manager Lou Piniella said. ''I think, too, as he came in [after scoring on Jeff Baker's two-run home run], somebody tapped him on the head, congratulating him. I don't think that helped the situation. We'll see how he is [today].''

And it looks like Tyler Colvin isn't the answer to all our problems, at least not yet.

''I would think Tyler probably needs a little more seasoning,'' Piniella said. ''We like the kid, don't get me wrong, but let's see what happens here with Tyler over the next 10 or 11 games. It's hard to judge with September at times, but you can still see a lot of things.''

Finally, LOHO favorite Bruce Miles takes Jim Hendry to task for the way he's acted the last week or so.

Hendry has been under a lot of stress lately, and the Milton Bradley contretemps probably put him over the edge. On Wednesday in Milwaukee, Jim was testy with the beat writers, who have given him a lot of breaks this year and over the years. He derided our questions, which were asked merely to get information about the Bradley suspension. He scolded writers for trying to get clarification of how the process worked. I thought it was a bad performance and uncalled for in a lot of ways. It probably hasn't helped that the Trib is running a referendum on whether Hendry should be given one more year.

Here's the thing: From a media-relations standpoint, Hendry should not want to "lose" his beat writers. For better or worse, the beat writers set the tone for the daily coverage. I saw this happen with Dusty Baker in '06. Once Baker "lost" the beat writers, it was open season every day.

Thanks to the great people from Remy-Martin (Champagne Cognac) and McCallan Scotch, I was drifting off to dreamland just as Baker hit his dinger. I wasn't sure it really happened until I woke up this morning. Heh.

millertime said:

Your kids have such a great role model.

MN Pat said:

It's important to have a role model of how to handle your liquor!

Maim said:

I wish my parent or guardian would have taught me about how delicious scotch was. Then I wouldn't have had to undergo that difficult transition from bourbon a few years ago.

what? by the time I got home I was just sleepy. jeez. like your kids are going to have such a great role model in a beer-swilling and cheese-eating father.

You forgot Frat Boy.

sorry. . " beer-swilling, church-chick-stalking, cheese-eating frat boy."

millertime said:

Please please. Call me Mr. beer-swilling, church-chick-stalking (she hasn't gone yet though), cheese-eating frat boy.

It is amazing to watch that and then think, "This man used to be a governor."

It's really sad that he was elected twice...

It says something about how corrupt and pathetic the republican party in Illinois is that they couldn't get someone to run that could beat him a couple years ago. I miss they days when Illinois had corrupt politicians like Jim Thompson and Jim Edgar that didn't get caught and are still somewhat respected.

Maim said:

I might STILL vote for him if my other choice was Judy Baar Topinka.

I'd vote for him, for the entertainment value.

MN Pat said:

To be fair, Judy Baar Topinka is highly entertaining. Have you ever seen her play the accordion? She rocks (at least musically!)

did you see her on Channel 5 after the Keyes got defeated? She was laying on the desk, head in her hands, and her attitude was just kind of like "screw it." The only thing she was missing was a cigarette and wine cooler.

seriously. she was like electing one of the slot jockeys down at the boats. she let her party run Alan Keyes for Senate, for crying out loud.

and that i voted for him twice.

millertime said:

This off-season we should sign Doug Dougler.

Who?

Dirk Diggler?

millertime said:

Doug Dougler stands 7'1", weighing in at 341 pounds. He is a pitcher who throws 102 MPH, with a 40 MPH knucleball that he can throw pin point. He is also a utility player, switch hitter, and has a career BA over .400.

So far he exists only on my videogame. The Cubs should sign him ASAP.

finally, a FA I can really get behind.

millertime said:

Don't worry, he's sexy as all get out. He looks sorta like Tyler Durden.

I hate the media.

millertime said:

I support Bruce Miles. He seems like a mostly rational man. I would disagree with him and others about the job Jim Hendry has done. Hendry hasn't been perfect, but he's basically turned this team into a playoff contender while having little position talent come up through the minors.

While the Cubs have done a great job of developing pitchers, it's been well documented that they've struggled finding position players. I'd rather see a team develope more pitching prospects than hitting prospects anyways, since Free Agent pitching is harder to find and often unreliable. Almost every position player Hendry has had to make some trades or off-sesaon deals. If Bradley stays, I will still love our lineup next season. The only thing Jim really needs to concentrate on is finding a replacement for Gregg.

I agree with this.

And I like Bruce Miles too, but it makes me really, really nervous to see reporters say that if someone doesn't treat them nice, they will seek revenge using their platform as a member of the press. That is simply irresponsible.

I don't like it, either, but I think Bruce is just staing the reality of the situation. I just wish that sports editors were more vigilant about reining this kind of attitude in. On the other hand, sports is just another form of entertainment, and we probably shouldnt' be surprised that the reporting on it is only one step above reporting on Hollywood.

Well, that is really, really true. Unfortunate, but true.

melissa said:

I think Hendry's done a pretty good job overall but how can you give him credit for overcoming little position talent in the minors when he was the one in charge of acquiring that talent for so long? As a GM he's had to compensate for a poor minor league system that he was largely responsible for developing.

Bradley isn't going to be able to stay. Hendry did nothing but make that situation worse when he suspended Bradley in defense of the "great" Cubs fans, Hendry's words. I have to agree with Miles that Hendry does have a lot to answer in regards to how he dealt with this entire Bradley issue. Hendry contributed to the de-valuation of Bradley to such an extent that the team is going to be hurt from a financial and a talent stand-point. Either the Cubs take on a bad contract of a worse player or they simply write off the Bradley money and spend whatever they have available on a lesser player.

I have my issues with Hendry, but I feel like getting a new GM now will only set us back a year or so, and while we still have Z, DLee, Soriano, etc, I think we should still be in a "win now" frame of mind.

My issue with Hendry and the Bradley thing is that is was just so fucking foreseeable. You can't risk $30 million and 3 years on a player with a history of problems just because you find his eyes dreamy over a candlelight dinner.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, and I know I didn't want him at the time, but, in hindsigh, I wish we had signed Adam Dunn. He's too stupid to cause any problems. Having him on the team would be like having Peter Boyle's Frankentstein out there. Just point him in the right direction and tell him to hit the ball.

Plus, I bet he does a smashing version of "Putting On The Ritz."

melissa said:

I don't see much point in letting go of Hendry right now either, I just think if he was going to bring Bradley in then he should have been more prepared to deal with him. Bradley definitely came with the buyer be ware label and Hendry seemingly ignored it. Firing Gerald Perry was pointless and when you consider he had a good relationship with Bradley it seems even worse. I don't think it was wrong for Hendry to take a chance on Bradley but he should have realized that he would also have to handle him in a certain manner. It seems he handled things as poorly as possible.

Had he brought in Dunn I don't think this team would be significantly better but it would have been mildly entertaining to see him crush balls onto Sheffield and do a dance to "Putting on the Ritz" as he headed back to the dugout.

So Rich Harden has been shut down for the year.

For any of you that think we should try to resign Rich Harden,

He will likely command $10 million next year...maybe more.

Let's look at some stats...

ERA:

HRs given up
Dempster-21
Zambrano-10
Wells-14
Lilly-22
Harden-23

I don't care how nice his ass is, ladies, Harden is our #5 starter.

This team cannot afford to pay a #5 starter $10 million next year.

I'm going to be really upset if this team makes a substantial effort to resign this kid. They have more pressing needs that to try to resign their worst starting pitcher for $10 million next season.

Piling it on...

Number of starts:
Dempster-29
Zambrano-26
Wells-25
Lilly-26
Harden-26

So, if you take that along with innings pitched...

Innings pitched per start
Dempster-6.4
Zambrano-5.9
Wells-6.1
Lilly-6.5
Harden-5.4

He's a bullpen killer as well.

Maim said:

I'm sure his ass will look similar if he's pitching for someone else.

We don't really know what Ricketts can afford at this point. Maybe he can pay $10 million for a #5 starter. And if he can, he should.

Shit, the Cubs did this with Jason Marquis. Why not do it for a pitcher who is actually pretty good?

Because I'd rather pay that much for a good #1 shortstop, or #1 right fielder, or #1 center fielder, or #1 second baseman.

And as far as. What's the point of paying that much for a 5th starter if we have a team that can't score more than 2 runs per game for him.

Well, that is certainly true. I'm too lazy to look -- is there a list of free agents out there somewhere?

Maim said:

We should look for a second basemen who can play pretty much any other position who has some power and is dreamy. Are there any of those on the list??

I was thinking that Lou should retire after this season, and then we have a player/manager at second base. Bring Sandberg up from Tennessee, let him manage and play second base. He's not bad looking, right? I'm a guy, so I can't really tell.

I am in complete agreement.

melissa said:

What quality SS, 2nd baseman, right fielder or center fielder is going to come here for one year and $10MM? Not going to happen. Again it's laughable to call Harden a #5 starter. Let's also consider the possibility of Randy Wells being next year's Geo Soto or Mike Fontenot. This team's biggest strength has been it's starting pitching and it makes no sense to get weaker in that area by letting Harden go.

My point is that I don't believe they get significantly weaker by letting Harden go. And I stand by that statement.

And to add to that, if do go after a position player with Harden's money, then I would fully expect it would be for a 2 to 3 year deal. Extra years on a proven position player I think is ok as long as it isn't an overly long contract (past 3 years...maybe for). In two years, some of these large contracts start coming off the books (Lee, Ramirez, Fukudome, Bradley, Lilly, Spellcheck) and that will give the Cubs a little bit of room to maneuver in the future.

melissa said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that they can bring back Harden for one year but they aren't going to be able to do that with a position player. If they can't afford to increase Harden's salary by $3 MM then they don't have money to bring in a position player for 2 or 3 years. Perhaps you could share with us who this great position player is that is going to come in and make the team better for $10MM. I can't believe they are going to be able to find a position player that would take $10MM and be of more value to them than Harden.

Agreed.

Yeah well, we aren't going to do that for a real shortstop, because both Hendry and Lou are in love with our current no-range shortstop.

In their defense, have you seen him in a his Trios Mousequetaires costume? He's dreamy.

millertime said:

Nice work Doc. This is what I'm talking about. I may disagree with you slightly as to how valuable I think Rich Harden is, but you make great points. Let me respectfully add a few points of my own.

K/9:

BABIP:

Dempster .290
Lilly .253
Zambrano .297
Wells .274
Harden .282

Now, I don't know whether Harden is worth $10 mil a year, but certainly his numbers would be much better this year if he would have been slightly luckier. I'm saying he had horrible luck, but if you combine bad luck with him just having a down year, it's no wonder why his numbers are down this year. Taking into account his past body of work, Harden is still a guy who has top of the rotation stuff. Last season he was almost unhittable.

You are correct that normally a team doesn't have the resources to pay a guy who would be the 5th best starter on the team 10 Mil, but in this case, I don't believe Rich Harden is a back of the rotation starter. One of the only reasons this subject comes up is that the Cubs have so much depth at starting pitcher, even a good pitcher like Harden, when having a down year, can be the 5th most effective. Harden would still be a front of the rotation guy on any number of other teams in the NL.

The real question to me is how much money we want to commit to our pitching rotation, if the money might be better used elsewhere. Say to sign a replacement OF if Bradley gets traded, some more RP help, or a better bat at 2B. I think it would be smarter for the Cubs to keep Bradley, count on our minors for RP, and use Jeff Baker at 2B next season. I'd sign Harden, even if we are overpaying him. If he does come back to form, he should be a Cy Young candidate. I'd hate to miss out on that.

I agree that Harden is better than probably any other 5th starting on any team in baseball.

I guess my point right now is that Harden's number actually aren't too bad, but we already have 4 other pitchers who have number as good if not better than Harden. That being the case, with the fact Sloth, Marshall and maybe even Spellcheck can step into a 5th starter position next year, the Cubs probably shouldn't waste their time on trying to fill that spot in the rotation.

Honestly, I like Harden. And I think he'd be a perennial Cy Young candidate if we had a pitching coach with a different coaching philosophy (a discussion to be had another time). But with the likely payroll limitations and the possible salary eating the franchise is going to have to do this year, giving $10 million to a rather fragile pitcher just seems unnecessary for the Cubs this off-season.

Now, (to completely contradict myself) one positive about signing Harden is that I don't think the Cubs would have to worry about a long term deal with Harden. He likely won't more than 1 or 2 years from any team.

melissa said:

Wins aren't really a good determination of a pitcher's ability. The Cubs run support has been so poor this season that all of the pitchers have less wins than they should. Harden hasn't had his best year but he's not a #5 starter on any team in the league. He most certainly has the talent of a #1 and would still be a reasonable option at $10MM for one season and I am not biased by an unnatural obsession with his arse.

The biggest monkey wrench in my thinking here will come from this idea that the Cubs are going to shop Zambrano around this offseason.

If the Cubs were to trade Z, I think it makes perfect sense to offer Harden a 2 year deal for around $20 to $25 million.

Um. . . I think you kind of glossed over the ass issue. How about something comparative, like you did with the other stats?

Um, I haven't found a hot ass-ness to win ratio stat. Or a strikeouts per pair of tight pants.

If I find out that stuff, I'll take it into consideration.

that's because no one has really explored this area of baseball. I'm going to create a new stat that takes into account hotness AND production.

Maim said:

Can it have a funny acronym like TOOTBLAN?

Umbra said:

Senseless Objectification of Men Unbecoming Ladies of Our Stature

SOMULOS

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I prefer Combined Hotness and Real Productivity Factor.
CHARPF

I have started to wish that I didn't responded to Julie now. Ugh.

we need that stat

Dmband said:

Couple of things, didnt the cubs basically say that Gorzelanny was going to go into next year as the 5th starter? Perhaps that was just a nightmare I had...

Also, does anyone think Jeff Baker could be our everyday 2nd basemen next year?

millertime said:

I do. I don't think he'll be great, but I don't think we actually need a lot of production from 2B. I'm counting on Soriano, Bradley, Ramirez, and Soto to all have bounce back years. If we can get good seasons out of Lee and Fukudome, it won't matter how our SS and 2B play.

FrankS said:

Are you really expecting Bradley to be a Cub next year?

I'm really trying to get a gauge on the possibility that Bradley will come back next year.

If history is any indication, Hendry will probably handle this in a similar way that he handled the Sammy Sosa thing...

Hendry will teeter back and forth on the issue. Then the Cubs convention will come. Every time Bradley's name is brought up at the convention, fans boo and hiss. Hendry will then decide he has no choice but to trade the guy. Then he give Baltimore a call about 2 weeks before spring training starts and he gets the deal done.

But with that said, it seems like a lot of people (not a majority, but enough to be noticed) have a feeling that Bradley could actually come back next year. It will be interesting to see what indicators come out of Jim Hendry in November.

If they were smart, they would bring Bradley to the convention and let him interact with the fans. Cubs Con is stupid, but it could go a long way towards smoothing things over in that regard.

millertime said:

I think that would work. It would also help if one of the Cubs beat writers wrote an article describing how trading Bradley wouldn't be such a good idea.

You have the Power, Bruce Miles!

millertime said:

I am. Part of this is blind optimism, and the fact that I actually want Bradley back. I've been a fairly big Bradley supporter from the start. Without getting into anything near an argument about whose fault anything is, I think even if people want him off this team, they would be better served to wait at least one more season.

First off, Bradley is about as unmarketable as possible right now. He has a decent sized contract, he's coming off a down year, he's somehow has even worse character issues now than when he was beating his girlfriend, and Hendry has made it clear he doesn't like Bradley. This means other teams don't need to offer much. The most the Cubs could hope for would be a journeyman player with a low salary, so that the Cubs can at least dump part of Bradley's. The Cubs certainly won't get any type of decent player or upcoming prospect. Trading Bradley will be the same as releasing him, we'd just eat less salary.

However, if Bradley plays next year, and has any type of rebound season, his value will improve. If he can find a way to improve his public image, his value will improve. With another year paid for by the Cubs, it will also be easier to move his salary. Players with only one year on their contract are easier to move.

So I think the smart move is to keep Bradley another year. If we're going to pay his salary, we might as well get something for it. There will be a nice long off-season for both sides to hopefully find some middle ground.

However, if we do trade Bradley, and it turns into one of those Greg Maddux for Ceasar Izturis trades, I wouldn't be surprised. In a way, I could see some poetic justice, because the Cubs would have made a move that makes the team worse and keeps them from winning the world series. The exact type of move Bradley accused the Cubs of always doing. Kinda funny if you think about it.

Yes, I agree. I think we have to keep him and try to rehab his image with the fans.

millertime said:

We need Jim Kramer to talk him up on mad money.

No...because that would guarantee Bradley would suck next year.

And I don't mean because we shouldn't have a player the fans don't accept, I mean because I don't think Milton is capable of playing in a sitaution that involves any kind of stress whatsoever.

melissa said:

Hendry ended the Cubs/Milton Bradley Era when he suspended him for the remainder of the season. By doing this Hendry was telling every other GM he no longer wants any part of MB. Why would any GM give up anything of value? Hendry has to either eat the money or take a worse player for more money. That is my biggest beef with how Hendry handled things, he took whatever value Bradley may have had and lowered it. He should have made it a 3 game suspension then made nice with Milton and told him to be on his best behavior and he'd try to move him. I don't think there is any way Hendry has any intention of bringing Bradley back or he wouldn't have axed him for the rest of the year.

The short answer is Yes.

I preferred the short answer. Because I actually read it.

I'm not counting on Bradley to come back next year.

Soriano, I really feel, will be awesome next year, especially with him not batting leadoff....35+ homers and 110 to 120 RBI. Ramirez will be healthier, and we all know what he will bring. Soto will hopefully get in shape and be better. (He just needs to stay away from the pot so he doesn't get the munchies and gain more weight). Koyie is satisfactory as the backup catcher.

We should expect a good season out of Lee but not as good as this year. He'll be in the top 4 of NL second basemen.

Fukudome, well, his swoon didn't happen until September this year, which was better than in July last year. Maybe we will get a good full season out of him next year. I've said this before, but I think they should move him back to right field.

Then the middle infield. I've talked about this a bit in the past, but I really think the Cubs should consider moving Theriot to 2nd base. His defensive skills fit the position better...especially his arm.

The starting rotation and even the bullpen I think are set...whether or not Harden is let go or Zambrano is traded (they can't do both).

So that leaves the cubs with 2, maybe 3, positions to fill...shortstop and center field and maybe a setup man in the bullpen.

It would be nice if they could get an actual leadoff man for one of those two positions. If there is concern about Fukudome in right, probably platoon him with a re-signed Reedz.

So, that's what I'd like to see.

Of course, I'll be wrong about it all, and I'll be pissed, and life will be normal.

millertime said:

You'll especially be wrong about the Derrek Lee prediction. No way he even comes close to top 100 second baseman.

LOL...oops.

with those long arms, he could cover both positions easily. The cubs could just play 8 players on defense then and have Chad Fox only be a hitter.

Puke.

I do NOT want Gorzelanny in this rotation. No. No. And no.

I know its bratty of me, but I do love the idea of the Cubs helping desroy someone else's post season hopes

I would like that idea more if it was the Cardinals who's chances they were destroying.

that really would have taken some of the suck out of the season

i like that it's San Fran, as I'm still looking for revenge for 1989 and stupid Wil Clark.

I'm looking for revenge for them letting Dusty Baker go so we could hire him after the 2002 season.

millertime said:

Elliot Smith did a song for Good Will Hunting. I knew his stuff sounded familiar. Thanks Pandora! This will help me get Miley's Party in the USA song out of my head...oh no...now its back in! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

you should seek some help for that.

Ed. Dave. Holly. Susan. Matt. Jeff. Chuck. Check your emails.

DON'T DO IT. It is a virus.

Julie just gave them H1N1.

millertime said:

As long as you stop calling it swine flu. The pork industry is losing business cause of the negative association towards swine.

Well, that just leaves more bacon for me.

millertime said:

I shall not be productive the rest of the day, due to the fact that I found videos on youtube of a guy beating Final Fantasy 8 and Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion, with an English accent. I can't stop laughing.

seems lke a good enough reason