Chicago Cubs Saturday Headlines, Cubs at Cards 3:10 Central Gamethread

cardspile.jpg

"Woohooo! Kegger in the clubhouse! Everyone make sure to drive yourself home!"

Well, that sucked.

Matt Holliday's opposite-field, walk-off home run off Aaron Heilman gave the Cardinals the victory, sending the Cubs to their third straight loss.

Ted Lilly pitched 7 2/3 innings of two-run ball but got a no-decision after leaving in a 2-2 tie. After the Cubs knocked out three straight doubles with one out in the first, John Smoltz held them to three more hits in a six-inning stint.

"Early in the game, his heater in the first at-bat was pretty straight," Ryan Theriot said. "The second at-bat, he was a different pitcher. ... There's a reason why he's a Hall of Famer."

Translation: The bullpen blew it. AGAIN.

Bruce Miles has some idea why we suck so bad:

ST. LOUIS - There are several reasons the Cardinals are going to the playoffs and the Cubs aren't.

One might be that the Cardinals' in-season acquisitions were better than those the Cubs made overall since the end of last season.

The Cards added Mark DeRosa, Matt Holliday and John Smoltz since the beginning of this season, and all had a hand in beating the Cubs 3-2 Friday night at Busch Stadium, which was sold out but lacking the usual Cubs-Cardinals buzz.

Agreed

Bruce also gets the scoop for us on what Lou thinks of testy Mility.

Whatever the reason, Cubs manager Lou Piniella didn't seem to know why Milton Bradley was so curt in fielding reporters' questions Thursday about why he came out of the game against the Brewers at Wrigley Field.

The Cubs said Bradley has "left-knee inflammation." He was not in Friday's starting lineup, and Piniella said he is day to day.

"I think you just answer the question," Piniella said. "You get asked a question, you answer it and you're done with it. That's all. It's simple. The guy can't run well in a 1-run ballgame, it's my job as a manager to get somebody else in there, and that's exactly what we did. Answer the question and go on to the next one.

"It shouldn't be all that hard."

In Angel Guzman news:

Reliever Angel Guzman threw from the outfield grass Friday, but it was a short session. Guzman has not pitched since Sept. 8 because of muscle soreness in his arm.

"He threw about a dozen pitches or so, and it really didn't feel good, so we had to shut him down," Piniella said. "It can't be too long. The season will be over in a couple weeks."

3:00 CT game on FOX. Sorry FOX, we thought this would be a big game, too.

Game Info

Dempster (10-8, 3.84) is up against Chris Carpenter (16-4, 2.45)

Dempster pitched well his last outing, the 4 hit, 1 walk, 0 runs, 8 inning kind of well so here's hoping he does that again, but Carpenter, well... he's 16-4 so bully for him

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

It only took a few days for me to go from: "Are we still in it?" to "Will we ever win another game?"

i'm going to go out on a limb and say we will never win another game.

i'm off to coach soccer and than at block parties for the rest of the day. can someone either put up a game thread or change the title on this one to game thread?

thanks in advance.

Maim said:

I had to stop watching the game to go work at the bar, and when I got home at 3am, CSN was playing an "encore" of it. I thought that must've meant the Cubs had won in some extraordinary fashion.

But they didn't.

secdelahc said:

I'm glad I went out last night and didn't have to sit through that ending. I also got home about 3am, but was too drunk to look up the results. LOHO should be thankful of that, because I probably would have drunk posted something ridiculous.

Perkins said:

Well that was fairly predictable. Putting Heilman into games tends to have that result.

As far as today's game, I predict Dempster pitches about 7 innings and gives up 2 runs, but that the Cubs get shutout.

Perkins said:

Also I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, but Mark DeRosa and Milton Bradley have each been worth exactly 1.7 WAR (Wins above replacement) this season. And that's with Bradley's having had a down year.

Also, Aramis Ramirez has been worth 2.2 WAR in slightly more than half as many games as DeRosa this season. Food for thought.

Umbra said:

Fangraphs has Bradley at 1.3, with DeRosa at 1.7. Are you including UZR or something?

Umbra said:

Maybe leadership is included, and Milton has inspired the team to win .4 games more than they should.

Perkins said:

Hmm, I looked a couple days ago and they were both at 1.7. I stand corrected. The point still stands that the Cubs aren't really missing DeRosa.

they WERE when we had Miles at 2B and Fontenot at 3B. that has always been my point. i'm not in the group of mouth-breathers that thinks Bradley replaced DeRosa. I just wanted a team with Bradley AND DeRosa. But now we have Jeff Baker, so the entire conversation is moot.

Perkins said:

Yeah, I think the payroll situation was such that they needed to trade DeRosa, either to sign MB, or in anticipation of a Peavy trade. If it was the latter, that's unfortunate.

But yeah, Baker is basically a younger DeRosa, so he's useful to have around.

I refuse to believe that trading DeRosa was the ONLY way to free up some cash. For example, we could have signed a hobo instead of Kevin Gregg.

For once, I'm going to publicly agree with you.

Perkins said:

Only? No. Easiest? Maybe. DeRosa is a journeyman utility player on the wrong side of 30 who was coming off of a really good season. The Cubs sold high and freed up cash at the same time.

Didn't really pan out the way they wanted, but Gaub and Stevens could make decent relievers, and the Cubs have Baker now anyway, who is basically DeRosa minus a few years and a few million dollars.

you dispute the fact that trading DeRosa was easier than hiring a hobo?

surely you jest.

Umbra said:

I don't think that's the proper comparison. You're not straight-up replacing DeRo with Bradley. You're replacing DeRo with Fontenot/Miles and Reed Johnson/Edmonds with Bradley.

THAT's my point.

Perkins said:

Yeah, Edmonds was lightning in a bottle and Reed Johnson isn't very good. Bradley has had a bad season, but he was a good signing. Miles was a horrible signing. Fontenot just kinda fell off, maybe because he's abysmal against LHP, I don't know. But he has sucked like a French whore this season.

I suppose I'm shifting the goalpoasts a bit here, but ultimately getting rid of DeRosa didn't matter because of all the other things that went wrong. Albert Pujols or Chase Utley or Tim Lincecum may have made up for all that, but short of players in that league, not so much.

i agree, but there were a lot of close games that i'd like to think we might have been in had we not had the dueling black holes of fontenot and miles in the lineup. i know derosa isn't ty cobb, but he's better than those two sucks.

For the last time. I'm not comparing DeRosa and Bradley. I'm comparing DeRosa to the suck we were stuck with at 2B until we got Baker.

Perkins said:

I didn't say you were, but a lot of Cubs fans seem to have that opinion. Really, once Ramirez went down, bad things were going to happen, especially considering the injuries to Soriano and the pitching staff. Ramirez has been more valuable than DeRosa or Bradley in a bit over half as many games. He's good at sports.

But just imagine if we'd had DeRosa when Ramirez went down. That takes Aaron Miles completely out of the picture.

You have to admit, that would have been nice.

Perkins said:

Well, Miles was a horrible signing. That said, even having DeRosa instead of him wouldn't have made up the difference. This season has been a perfect storm of injuries and suck. But mostly injuries.

Umbra said:

Ken Rosenthal says that the Cubs will do anything to get better during the offseason, like trading Carlos Zambrano or Milton Bradley. Maybe instead of signing Rich Harden the Cubs could get a 2B or SS?

Perkins said:

Trading Zambrano and Bradley would be retarded. If the Cubs should trade anyone this offseason, Lilly would be one of the best options. He's on the last season of his contract, isn't very expensive, and is quite good. The Cubs won't get better from this season to next by getting rid of Bradley, Zambrano, Soriano, or any of the favorite targets for mouth-breathers like Kaplan, Sullivan, and Rosenbloom.

Perkins said:

Though I agree that a real SS would be nice. Then the Cubs could platoon Theriot and Baker at 2B.

They should re-sign Harden, though.

THANK YOU.

I'd rather have 6 innings of one-hit ball from Harden than 8 innings of suckitude from someone else.

Perkins said:

Harden is a really good pitcher. He's still quite valuable even if he only pitches 150-170 innings. Plus he makes hitters look ridiculous. It reminds me of watching Kerry Wood back before...well, you know.

Before the dark times.

Before the Empire.

I fail to see how trading Bradley and Zambrano makes us a better team, unless there's more going on in the clubhouse than the Cubs care to tell us about and it's an addition by subtraction kind of thing.

Perkins said:

It wouldn't; that's the point. Idiots like Phil Rogers and Gordon Wittenmeyer and Paul Sullivan and Steve Rosenbloom have been stirring up shit about how the Cubs need to trade Zambrano, and it's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. The same applies to Bradley, but to a lesser degree.

i actually think there's more to the bradley thing in the clubhouse than anyone says. and believe me, i'm not getting this from paul sullivan. just. . . things here and there that aren't that big of a deal, but just stuck out to me.

Umbra said:

If you trade Z, you don't have to deal with his large salary as much. You use that money to get a SS or prospects or whatever.

Perkins said:

Yeah, except the Cubs would still have to pay some of his salary, since nobody is likely to take it all, and whoever they got to replace him would still have to be as valuable. It's just not likely.

Umbra said:

The Fox announcers said that Bradley had an OPS of .999 last year and the Cubs would be happy if it was .777.

I know why everyone is disappointed with his OPS this year of .775.

Who are the announcers?

I'm just checking in between parties.

MillsChC said:

Grace and bland Fox play-by-play guy #16

Umbra said:

Mark Grace. And someone? Matt Verscasian?

FUCK THAT PLAY.

MillsChC said:

Somebody tell Scales to stop looking to the jumbotron for the replay of that unfortunate play... it'll only bring disappointment

Umbra said:

That is going on Sportscenter.

Umbra said:

"You will not find better gentlemen than Derrek Lee and Albert Pujols."

Hey, remember when Derrek Lee instigated a fight against the San Diego Padres?

Umbra said:

Bobby Scales makes me wish for the days of Alfonso Soriano.

Perkins said:

There's a reason Bobby Scales is a career minor leaguer, and we're all getting to see it right now.

Tie game!

Bobby Scales is having a terrible, awful, no-good, very bad day.

Little Bear said:

You mean a Terrible, Horrible,
No Good, Very Bad Day

Perkins said:

Well, I was right in essentials; the Cubs didn't get shutout, but they did blow a great start by Dempster.

FrankS said:

Anybody know why Jake Fox only has 10 at bats over the last 7 games? Is he hurt or is Piniella playing the retard? Since Lou is supposed to be a stats man, doesn't he check the stats enough to know that Jake's splits are better against right-handed pitchers than against lefties? He's also hitting better on the road this year. You have a team that has trouble scoring runs and you sit on of your best run producers this year. Can we fire Lou and replace him with Sandberg BEFORE THIS season ends?

Perkins said:

Fox isn't very good at baseball. Particularly the part that involves catching and throwing baseballs, but he has also been cooling off in the second half. There's a reason he's a rookie at his age.

FrankS said:

Yeah, Bobby Scales looked so much better out there today. And Bobby Scales is even older! Looks like Jake had pretty much leveled off at about the .280 mark at the end of August and he's 3 for his last 10. Good grief, we know that Scales really has no future with the Cubs. Perhaps they should find out if Fox does.

Perkins said:

He doesn't. At least not in the outfield. His defense might be able to stick at 1B, but he's basically a one-tool player (power), which makes him a decent option for the bench, but not as a starter.

And Bobby Scales is bad. I never said otherwise. Anyone who would is a fool.

Perkins said:

And Sandberg is kind of a twat, at least as a manager.

FrankS said:

Yes, and I am sure that Ryno thinks just as highly of you.

Perkins said:

Meh. I have no desire to see a manager who has been ejected more times this season, than Lou Piniella has been in his entire tenure in Chicago.

Perkins said:

Meh, I have no desire for a manager who has been ejected more times this season than Lou Piniella has in his entire tenure in Chicago. Makes him seem a bit unhinged. And I really don't care if he thinks I'm a piece of shit or whatever. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

i haven't seen ryno be ejected, but i imagine it's hilarious.

tomas21 said:

Hello? Is everyone gone?
I don't know how to respond to comments, there is no replay button that my eyes can find.

I think Zambrano is a shell of the pitcher he once was. If they can get close to fair market value for an "ace", they should take it, because he hasn't been giving us ace work.

I think Bradley is gone. It is Cubs policy to make it known how much they hate guys before they get rid of them (see Sammy Sosa early exit video, etc). Since the Cubs have made it clear they don't like him, he'll be gone. They'll have to choose whether to pay his salary and get something good or pay nothing and get nothing.

I think Lily might be the only untouchable player on the team for me. He's relatively cheap and good. There isn't an offensive player I'd be sad to see traded at teh right price, though I think Lee should stay unless they can get a great haul.

Perkins said:

Lilly is the one they should actually consider trading, since he's the only one that might bring a decent return. Zambrano is still very good...he's one of the best pitchers in the NL. Just because he isn't great anymore is no reason to trade him, especially given that the return won't be as productive as he is.

I agree Bradley is likely gone, even though he shouldn't be. He has had a bad season, and that happens to most players not named Pujols every now and then. Unfortunately the media in Chicago (other than Bruce Miles) are as dumb as (or dumber than) most of the fans and have wanted a reason to hate Bradley since he signed. It is what it is. They're not going to get anything good for him no matter what, because this organization's MO is to run players out of town before actually trading them, causing Hendry to get bent over a barrel when actually trading said player. It's fucking retarded.

FrankS said:

There is a reply button in the lower left corner of each comment.

Zambrano isn't a shell of the pitcher he used to be. Maybe if you compare this season to his 2004 season. But he's been around 115 to 120 for ERA+ for the last 2+ seasons. The rumors are that he isn't going to waive his NoTradeClause. I don't know if that means he is refusing to leave the Cubs or if he is just indicating it's going to cost them some money to leave.

I agree that Bradley is probably gone. I'm not stating whether I think he should be traded or DFAed, just saying the Cubs are going to make him go away one way or the other.

I wouldn't want Ted Lilly traded either, but he's the one guy that might get the Cubs something back in value since his salary is a bargain at this point.

MillsChC said:

On my screen, the little reply clicky thing is on the lower right corner of each comment.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEAL!!!!!!

Do my eyes deceive me? Why does he pick the day I'm gone the WHOLE DAY to post for the first time in 2 freakin' years?!?!?!?1

baturkey said:

I think Ramirez is a keeper.

is it possible to be hungover before i even go to sleep? ugh, my aching head.

baturkey said:

Gatorade is my latest hangover preventer/helper.

Umbra said:

It's got electrolytes. It's what hangovers crave.