Chicago Cubs Headlines for Wednesday

NATIONALS-CUBS
It's never easy, is it?

The Cubs won again, that's 8 out of 9. And they spanked the Brewers, 13-7. Derrek Lee got his 100th RBI, Geo Soto hit a home run and the offense drew 12 walks. But of course, the story isn't about any of that, it's about Big Z.

Zambrano found himself staked to a 4-0 lead by the fourth inning, but he couldn't hold it. The offense rescued him, and the Cubs went on to a 13-7 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley Field.

He threw 39 of his 103 pitches in the fifth inning as the Brewers sent 10 men to the plate and scored 5 runs after two outs.

So what did he say after the game?

Afterward, Zambrano was cordial in talking about the game, but he became irritated when a Chicago reporter asked him about reports that have the Cubs "shopping" him for a trade this off-season. Zambrano has a no-trade cause in his $91.5 million contract that runs through 2012.

"Why, you guys are (the) general manager now?" Zambrano replied. "I don't care. I don't care. If the Cubs want to trade me, it's because they don't like me anymore. I have to move on. What else can I do? Just move on. No, I don't want (to go). What kind of question is that, huh? That's enough."

Is it just me, or do the reporters (probably one in particular) do an excellent job of baiting the most volatile of Cubs' players? I understand it's part of the job to get a story, but when is it okay to create the story? And for the record, I'm sure it wasn't Bruce Miles who asked that, because I'd imagine he'd take the credit.

Remember that crazy diving catch Monday night? Sammy Ballgame is paying for it now:

Fuld made a diving catch in Monday's game against the Brewers, and in doing so, he bent his thumb back as it hit the ground. He underwent an MRI on Tuesday and also had X-rays, and the Cubs said the results showed nothing more than a strained thumb, with swelling, but no significant ligament damage or fracture.

"Good news," Fuld said. "It's basically just a matter of rest before it gets better. I was told it was roughly about a seven-day recovery."

Manager Lou Piniella said before Tuesday's game the Cubs may call up an outfielder from the minor leagues.

Tyler Colvin and James Adduci of AA Tennessee were two names mentioned by all three papers as potential call-ups.

All our positive thinking and teddy bears sent to the Fonz led to a successful surgery:

The Cubs said the arthroscopic surgery on Alfonso Soriano's aching left knee Tuesday revealed ''acute inflammation'' and an anticipated degeneration of cartilage.

Loose cartilage was cut away and the area ''washed out,'' according to the team, and Soriano is expected to make a full recovery in about six weeks and be at full strength for next spring.

One report also mentioned that after he returns to the Dominican Republic, he'll be rehabbing 3 to 4 days a week at the Cubs' baseball academy there.

And in more beleaguered outfielder news, REEDZ! wants to come back this year, even if only for a game.

"Whether it's one game or 10 games, I want to get back in there and play," Johnson said. "If I know I can play physically and not re-injure myself, and I can play through whatever residual pain I have in my foot, I don't know if I could look at myself in the mirror, knowing there were 10 games left and I just shut it down."

berselius said:

Carlos was annoyed with the question, but they asked it TWO MORE TIMES after he answered before he blew them off. Now the narrative is suddenly "Z is angry and selfishly won't talk to the media" when really it is "the media just can't frakking let things go"

berselius said:

Oops, make that THREE times. By Grapthar's hammer, do I hate the media in this town

A "Galaxy Quest' reference.

I (heart) you.

berselius said:

By the Sons of Worvan, it was a great movie

by the way, you can make a ♥ symbol by typing & hearts; without the space

are you angling for more &hearts ?

that didn't work . . .

Yes it did

not for me.

i see a heart

Agreed. And what's bothering me even more is the media creating faux tension between the fans and the players, so that the players want to go elsewhere. I highly doubt that the Cubs 'don't like' Zambrano anymore.

The only way it changes is if all the fans write and email the reporters and tell them to cut it out.

I highly encourage this kind of campaign. Also, a "fire[reportername].blogspot.com" for all those fuckers.

those sites are stupid.

your site is stupid

you're stupid.

hehe, I was so hoping for that response

I set myself up.

The audio recording of Obama calling Kanye 'a jackass' is even funnier than I thought it would be.

Linky link, por favor.

no linky---just saw it on the news.

millertime said:

It's too bad. When I left (before the crappy inning) Zambrano was pitching as good as I've seen him pitch all year. He was throwing his sinker/2-seam fastball around 95 and his splitter/change up was devastating. I hope he gets motivated this off-season and has a great year next year. He's still one of my favorite Cubs.

me too.

i just don't get what the cubs are trying to accomplish by releasing all this info about who they are considering trading. that can't be good for morale.

you just know any discussion between teams, even if its 2 guys from marketing talking, are going to get leaked in some fashion, its baseball trades the news is in the speculation

I don't feel like its lack of motivation on Zambrano's part (yeah, I know he's claimed he's lazy, but whatever, so am I, doesn't mean I don't do my homework)

millertime said:

I just want to see him get in better shape, and recapture that fire that made him so good a couple seasons ago. Maybe that's not the best way to express it. Sometimes I feel like he was so concerned with cutting down his walks and controlling his emotions and trying to aim the ball more than throw the ball.

Just be yourself Carlos! I don't mind if he walks a few more batters if it results in him striking out a few more batters.

hmmm. look at that.
5.5 back in the WC race.

just sayin. . .

Please shut up.

millertime said:

Why do guys like Megan Fox so much? I mean, I get it, she's attractive. So are at least 100 other actresses. I don't feel that Ms. Fox is that much more attractive that I should totally ignore the fact that she is awful at what she does. I also hear she is pain to work with. A true hollywood beauty should have some class and some acting skills.

I am going to boycott Jennifer's Body. Who's with me?

In order to boycott it, you have to find people that intended to see it in the first place.

You know who's a true Hollywood beauty? Kathy Bates.

antuck said:

I don't get the love affair with Megan fox. She's nice but not that nice.

Are you talking about Jennifer Aniston?

It's Fire Joe Morgan Day at Deadspin today!

antuck said:

SWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT I'm throwing a party! Get rid of him as a Hall of Fame voter too. Hell just get rid of him.

berselius said:

FJM = 100% pure Win

thisyearcub said:

When's Fire Paul Sullivan Day?

millertime said:

Any day ending in "y".

oh, glad to hear that Soriano's surgery went well, especially glad to hear he'll be all good for spring training next season

are we in first place yet?

the Cubs are in first place in my heart

in reality not so much

oh...

Well, they should be in first place soon, right? I mean, the end of the regular season is just a few weeks away. So, like, any day now the Cubs should be in first place and clinching the division.

That's how it is suppose to work, isn't it?

thisyearcub said:

Carl, it's not you. Aside from Bruce Miles, for some reason the Cubs media baits and baits. And write with bias. I still can't imagine how Paul Sullivan has a job after he admitted his biased coverage and also changed a quote, never fixed it and wasn't reprimanded.

Speaking of Miles, he has a very good article/blog here: http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2597

It's a must-read. Interesting stuff in the middle as well about the differences/comparisons between what happened to Lilly and Dempster and if it had been Zambrano. Glad to see at least someone doesn't find that stuff to be a joke.

millertime said:

In general, is the Daily Herald a good paper? What I mean is, are their other writers as talented as Bruce Miles? Are the other writers for the Chicago Tribune as untalented as Rogers or Sullivan?

the Daily Herald is awesome, as a kid we got both that and the Trib delivered daily, but then I'm totally biased and don't read it everyday anymore

When I lived in the Chicago area, I got the Herald every day...and one got the Trib on sundays.

Of course, at that time being in the suburbs, the Daily Herald did a better job of covering our area.

I couldn't really say anything about those newpapers more recently since I've been in Wisconsin for (*gulp*) 14 years now. I only know what I see online. And for what it is worth, I think the Sun-Times website is the best of the 3 papers with the most quickly accessible content. But the best writing, to me, is still in the Herald.

thisyearcub said:

It seems like at a lot of papers, there are tons of shite, and one good person. Such is the case in The Charlotte Observer's sports dept. A lot of people just start mailing it in, perhaps they just get too comfortable. Also, the Interwebs have taken away a lot of the good writing, but I don't blame them for going to the Web-more security.

jtbwriter said:

Good morning from decently cool (for the moment) So Cal...

How about Tar and Feather Joe Morgan Day? Firing him from the Veterans Committee and/or ESPN for
being an a**h*le is too good for him! No one else has been so lukewarm and backhanded about Coach and how he should be in the Hall-yet we have to sit and see his smug face every week!

As for your local trash writers, I mean sportswriters, blame TPTB for laying off or making stringers of real journalists and keep those who think being a journalist means wearing a hat and using $2 words. The Trib has laid off or made stringers of most of the real writers here at the LA Times and we're stuck with Sullivan wanna-bes.

No matter what "they" say-I still have faith the Cubs might just pull the WC out of the fire! Who's with me? :)

love the optimism, I don't share it, but you keep the faith

I can't decide if I'm more annoyed that the Cubs played themselves out of contention a few weeks ago making wins not a heart pounding fun time, or relieved that I didn't get my hopes up too much by having them pull within 2 or 3 with just over 2 weeks left just to lose in the end

I guess I mostly annoyed at myself for staying calm about this season until the middle of August...I really thought that this team would just get everything together and win the division by 5 games.

That being said, I'm glad I can relax and not worry about any of this crap for the final month.

i agree with your first half, even when I was being all pessimistic I actually was thinking the same thing

well, at least this way I won't have to squeeze in that trip to the World Series, I have a busy fall anyway

Dmband said:

I was actually just talking about this at the game last night. I was commenting on how obviously, I wish they were in contention, but it was enjoyable to sit back and watch the game and not really care..I was able to concentrate on mass consumption of food/beer.

Dmband said:

I saw someone referenced Megan Fox above..

check this out if you have not already seen it..

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I didn't read the whole thing, but I did read Michael Bay's response. He mentioned a Transformers 3. STOP THE INSANITY!

thisyearcub said:

Ken Tremendous FTW!!!!!

I would like to make a suggestion to all angry, stat-ignorant sportswriters out there: when you do the thing where you cite real stats and then make up a goofy-sounding joke stat to try to make fun of sabermetrics, don't use OPS and OBP. They're pretty fucking simple to understand, and also pretty mainstream at this point, but you all choose them as your "these crazy stats are so weird!" set-ups for your awesome joke stats, and so you all end up with similar-sounding jokes. There are way goofier-sounding stats out there, if you want them. xFIP is pretty silly-sounding. Use xFIP.

Another suggestion I might make to all angry, stat-ignorant sportswriters out there would be: learn some stuff about stats.

This was on a piece from none other than Rick Morrissey. And I wouldn't just confine it to one group, I've heard the made-up stat line way too often. It's really not that hard.

thisyearcub said:

That second paragraph should have been in italics as well. Also, here is the mentioned part in Morrissey's column that got trashed (and deservedly so):

Is there a stats-freak formula that suggests when to shut down a season? Is a six-game deficit on Aug. 31 similar to a bad OPS, OBP or Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da?

berselius said:

This piece by Junior is the winner so far, mainly for the exquisite last parapgraph

Mauer out, fuckfaces!

my head is officially spinning

I love the increasing laundry list of examples of defeating the odds, its like every September a string of columns come out say look at the 69 Mets, and the 07 Rockies, and the Phillies, or the Red Sox or the girl who just got really far in tennis even though she was ranked 678 (what was her name?) blah blah blah, there are reasons those are stories

haha, Sandberg got ejected again, this time in the playoffs, love it

if Sandberg ever gets a major league managing job, he better have one hell of a bench coach, because that bench coach is going to have to manage the team more than Sandberg will due to all of his ejections.

Sandberg as Manager, Davis as Bench Coach

I would watch those games

I found this on line...the audio is a bit messed up in the beginning...

Ryno going nuts!

Someone post something new. I'm bored.

as evident from my recent comments I think my brain is broken

okay.

i took cough syrup with codeine in it and passed out for like 4 hours today.

I like this. I need to get some and do the same.

GAH.

So Taguchi called up from AAA Iowa because Fuld out at least one week.

I didn't even know we still had him.

I've been trying to explain to my Mexican boyfriend that not all Asians are "Chinese," but he doesn't seem to get it.

Tell him that's like saying that all Latinos are "Mexicans".

Thats what I said.

almost forgot, Happy Independence Day to our southern neighbors

Chris Matthews just cited a poll that found that only 43% of southerners believe Obama is a US citizen.

Um. . . what?

You know...Lincoln should have just let the south leave the union. Screw them all.

I've never agreed with you more.

sometimes i think the "United States of California" and "Jesusland" might not be such a bad idea.

I don't buy that statistic

first, who are they polling, what is defined as "the south"
I can't stand stupid polls

well, it jibes with the voting, where Obama only got 10% of the white vote in Alabama, for example.

I would imagine "the South" would be the states that were part of the Confederacy.

The poll was done by Research 2000. I'm not a huge fan, but they're fairly reputable and not exactly Jim and Bob's polling.

I just get really annoyed with this kind of thing, stupid questions get asked to make people look dumb and it bothers me

but then it also bothers me that I can't get decent fried okra up here

"do you believe the President is a US citizen?" is a fairly straight forward questions. There's only one way to answer that question without BEING stupid.

eh, I tend to not believe polls in general, and when its something like the south, or the east coast, I get even more skeptical

plus I then have to defend east coast elitism when I visit family and thats just as exhausting

Dmband said:

Ahhh.. the south.

I find it interesting that they refer to themselves (those who believe Obama is not a citizen) as birthers. Whats ironic about that is these "birthers" make the strongest case for being pro choice. They have no business being here....earth that is...

Dmband said:

Gravedigger, have you broached the subject of continents with him?

Dmband said:

Perhaps get a globe involved in the discussion....