Chicago Cubs Headlines for Wednesday

Cubs vs. Astros

With a 4-1 victory over the Astros Tuesday night, the Cubs managed to stay 6 games behind Colorado in the wild card race. But it finally appears as though Lou is almost ready to start conceding defeat.

"I haven't seen any laying down here," Piniella said before the game. "I don't think that's why we've lost baseball games. I've been pleased with the effort we've gotten.

"What makes is disappointing is that everybody jumped on our wagon over the winter, and we haven't performed up to, quote, their expectations.

"But at the same time, you've got to play on the field. You've got to drive in runs. You've got to hit with men on base, and you've got to play good baseball. And we've been basically a team that hasn't done that with the consistency that everybody thought we would."

And guess who sounded positively effervescent after the win last night?

"It's fun to win," Bradley said. "It makes everything easier. It makes doing these interviews easier. It makes coming in here every day easier."

"Coming into this year, it was all '... he's not going to be healthy and blah, blah, blah,' " Bradley said. "But once again, everybody is wrong. I was supposed to hit ridiculous, and I didn't, or not until now. ... All the experts ain't right."

With all the insanity surrounding this team, we've been giving Ryan Theriot a free pass. Maybe we felt bad about being so hard on him in the past, maybe there have just been better things to complain about. But Bruce Miles gives us a short lesson in why we need a new leadoff hitter and shortstop next year:

2008
Walks: 73
Strikeouts: 58

2009
Walks: 35
Strikeouts: 78

Not good. Since the all-star break, Theriot has a hitting line of .281/.323/.333 for an OPS of .656. Before the break, he was at .299/.354/.423 for an OPS of .777. The other day, he made two outs on a grand total of 3 pitches. You can't have that from your leadoff man.

With the lack of a pennant race to invigorate the fans, the Cubs welcomed a busload of youngsters to the clubhouse, fresh from Iowa. Surely these unknown prospects will give us fresh hope for the future, right?

"I don't think we have any young guys coming up," Piniella said. "We have guys who have been here before. I wouldn't classify them as young guys. I don't even think we've thought about next year yet. It's so premature. But everybody can help themselves, obviously."

And this leads to Lou sounding disappointed:

All the September additions the Cubs plan to make are Class AAA players who already have spent time with the big club, to the disappointment of manager Lou Piniella. He would have liked to see some younger prospects this month.

''Evidently, they're not quite ready,'' he said.

Bruce Miles = The Best.

agreed

yep. and he's the only reporter who actively interacts with and supports the Cubs blogosphere. and, i have to say, he's a really nice guy to boot.

millertime said:

It's just so refreshing to see a reporter who actually understands the concept of making an argument, doing research, and backing up the argument with facts. He actually seems to understand how baseball works. You should invite him to super cool racism ending podcasts.

I did invite him on for the podcast, but it was during the game, and he couldn't get away.

but i'm sure he's proud of us for ending racism.

let's say "sports reporters," because there are a lot of really good reporters out there in general.

There are?

fair enough.

in general I love the Daily Herald, I really am a NW suburb girl at heart

thisyearcub said:

Pretty much the opposite of Paul Sullivan.

lol, true.

Lou, isn't not having guys to call up in September indicative of a larger problem? although it sounds like Tennessee has some decent players

oh, and Sandberg got thrown out of a game for the 7th time on Monday, hilarious

i have yet to see video of sandberg getting mad, and i just can't picture it. i know he must have gotten mad when he was a player, but i can't remember it. it's just so hard to imagine.

I think he only got thrown out once or twice as a player

if he's going to be like that I hope he gets ready for the majors fast

millertime said:

I think we do have some good prospects on the way. In the next two years we should know if Samardjiza will pan out, Vitters should be ready, and Cashner. Plus Brenly, Flaherty, and a couple other potential guys. I know we got a couple good SS prospects. Not all-stars at SS, but probably better than Theriot.

thisyearcub said:

Starlin Castro's grandmother is probably better than Theriot. That throw last night was hilarious.

What about "Rebel Riding?" I want him up here just for his name.

millertime said:

Also, last night I kept tuning in to ABC because they were running this special about some guy in Alaska that does "Bear Haven". Dude F**king has bears walking into his home, he feeds them (illegally), and is supposedly all at peace with them. THEY'RE FUCKING BEARS!!!!! WTF?!? Seriously, they are wild animals that no matter how friendly they might get at times, they still might go crazy and decide to maul any human in sight. Now the guy is sad because he thinks he's made the bears too tame to endure their enviroment. I'm not saying we should hunt bears, I just think we should leave bears and all wildlife alone. These aren't dogs or cats. Animals don't really make friends with humans as much as they sometimes don't eat us. You want to see wildlife? Either see it from afar, or go to a zoo. Either way, I don't give a damn, what you think you are entitled too!

I think Paul Sullivan should do some special investigating and try to interview a bear. A starving bear. With a Milton Bradley jersey on.

remember that dude that called himself "Grizzly Man" or whatever? he lived with grizzlies (illegally) for like 6 months out of the year in Alaska. He lectured everyone about grizzlies and how horrible people are to them (which I agree with).

In the end, all they of found him was his rib cage.

thats the guy!

yeah--they show his video diaries on Animal Planet all the time. I think it was in the 90's/200's, though.

he was kind of a freak. he cries a lot over bears during his videos. he's sitting their sobbing and the bears are in the background, catching salmon, and looking over at him like "dude, wtf?"

i assume they ate him because they found him annoying.

maybe I just assumed it was the 70's because he looked like a hippie

he definitely loves granola.
well. . . loved.

there are all these people who just loved that guy and put him on par with Steve Irwin (who, fwiw, was apparently the foremost expert on reptiles in the WORLD). i found him sorta annoying and could have predicted he'd get eaten by a bear. after all, they had to endure him more than any of us.

That was a huge story in AK, and it oddly took forever for the Lower 48 to pick up on the story. But most Alaskans thought he was fucking nuts, but I felt like the outside impression was that all Alaskans think they are pro bear handlers. Fucker wasn't even from Alaska, he was from Canada.

Whenever Alaska is in the news, it makes us Alaskans look like fools. We really aren't all that stupid.

millertime said:

That's not my understanding. Sarah Palin had to be elected by someone.

I voted for her three times :(

But honestly, she wasn't that crazy before she was picked to be McCain's VP candidate. She was totall sane, normal, and a good governor.

Then she just went batshit.

who charged the state for letting her live at home and taking her kids everywhere.

yeah, she was a real winner.

To be fair, Juneau is in the middle of nowhere.

Then again, I would *never* want to live in Wasilla.

you would if you were a meth addict.

Alaska seems like a beautiful place, and I get the attraction of living there, but isn't pretty much everything in the middle of nowhere?

Good point, but especially with Juneau because it is inaccessible by road. You have to fly or boat in.

millertime said:

The spotlight does that to people. Johnny Lechner (that guy that took 14 years getting his undergrad at UWW) was sorta a douche from the start, but after he someone got on Letterman, he went insane being a "Celebrity". He has a movie out now. Straight to DVD. Animal House wannabee.

Max Power said:

I think I saw that movie. Was it Tommy Boy? If not, then I don't know who this person is, and supsect you made him up.

thats like the bear guy in the I think the 70's who went and lived with bears for a while, saying he was a bear or something weird like that, anyway he filmed everything, including when a bear decided he looked like dinner

what we learned from him is that bears still are, you know, bears

millertime said:

Exactly. He lived with perfect harmony with the bears for awhile. And then there was a harsh winter and the bears were hungry. I know people do horrible things to bears, but my solution is just stay away from bears. If a bear gets too close to humans and becomes a danger, put it down. But we are definitely not meant to be buddy buddy with bears. Cause they might eat us.

I think Bears should be relocated, not put down.

Most Alaskans get along just fine with the Bears around. It is idiot Outsiders who cause the problems.

millertime said:

Exterminate all the brutes.

oog of ulams said:

bear strong god of strength

oog wear skin of bear

oog summon rain

i feel like oog has forgiven me for MB, since he's talking oog to us again.

i love how Lou is disappointed that "we" expected this team to win the division.

if he says he's pleased with how this team has performed, i accuse him of having pants on fire.

"I" did not expect this team to win the division.

oog of ulams said:

"Though you wouldn't know he had anything positive to say if you only read the column by Paul Sullivan:"

There is an axiom within these words.

I'm not even sure why one would read Paul Sullivan.

OMG, WGN has the Chicago lingerie football chicks on, and they are the dumbest human ever. They don't know what division the Bears play in and they don't know who Vince Lombardi is.

FAIL.

They asked if Philly has a jail and courthouse in their stadium because of Michael Vick.

UGH.

someone gave them that comment I guarantee it

millertime said:

Are they wearing the lingerie?

SUCCESS.

to me, this is no different than the people on Leno who can't pick the VP out of a lineup. how do you grow up anywhere in America and not know who Vince Lombardi is? it takes an active effort to be that ignorant.

He was that architect guy, right?

millertime said:

I believe Vince Lombardi was an old wooden ship.

millertime said:

If they went on the show and came off as highly intelligent nobody would give them any attention. It just wouldn't feel genuine.

Are they built like Kirstie Alley?

FAIL.

Max Power said:

In some ways, wearing it remains a FAIL.

Karen said:

Is it wrong to think Jay looks kinda hot in that picture?

as long as you recognize that his face is severely airbrushed. that looks nothnig like jay cutler.

Even airbrushed I don't find him attractive.

So it was really busy and then everyone just kind of shut up. What gives?

millertime said:

I actually felt like I should get some of my studying done.

millertime said:

Ryne Sandberg as the next Cubs manager would be neat. I hope he doesn't quit on the team like he did in 1994.

There. That should give 10 minutes of extremely heated debate(before everyone gets all up in arms, Ryne is one of my favorite players. I know he is amazing and the coolest Cub ever). What if Milton Bradley would have retired in June? We'd be in first place planning for October, that's what.

if you're going to say something inflammatory to spark a debate you can't then counteract it, so people call you names, take one for the team

Koyie Hill is my favorite player on the team, I think he should get more starts for the remainder of the season then Soto whom I think is having a bad sophomore slump and needs to be better prepared for next season

Max Power said:

I take issue with this comment and the views espoused within it. I hope my response is vague enough to imply that I also take issue with the commenter, as I only hope to continue the conflict, and realy don't recall what the commenter said.

that is the most lawyerly thing you have ever said here

jtbwriter said:

Good Morning from smoky but hopeful So Cal....

I did a spittake on Max's "taking issue"-so Ted Knight.

Did anyone else notice how much fun Brenly was having with the bingo card bit last night...I so hoped someone would have yelled "Bingo" near one of the field mikes just for the fun of it!

Karen said:

I enjoyed listening to them with the bingo cards. I was thinking that would be a great way to make the little kids pay more attention to the games (see previous "wee ones at the park" post).