Chicago Cubs Headlines for Wednesday

Chicago Cubs vs Houston Astros

When mythical TV families have Thanksgiving dinner, and before they eat, they go around and each say what they're thankful for. In reality, everyone's too hungry to wait for that chicanery, but today I'll pretend like I'm on a TV show and say what I'm thankful for regarding the Cubs.

First up, I'm thankful for Derrek Lee, since July 1:

The Cubs won their third straight since suspending Milton Bradley for the season and Lee has continued his sizzling September. He's hitting .408 for the month and is 6 of 8 in this series with two home runs and six RBIs.

Lee has 10 homers in his last 20 games and leads the majors with 24 since July 1.

I'm also thankful for Tyler Colvin these past two days:

With one out in the ninth, Cubs center fielder Tyler Colvin made a leaping catch that saved what would've been a three-run homer by Ryan Braun.

Next up, I'm thankful for Randy Wells:

Wells (11-9), who entered the game with four losses in his last five starts, was able to relax after the Cubs staked him to a 6-0 lead after two innings. He allowed one run over six innings.

"No nibbling today," Wells said. "I learned my lesson."

Continuing on, I'm thankful that the Cubs plan to keep the Bradley situation as quiet as possible the rest of the way:

Don't expect any high drama regarding the Cubs, Milton Bradley, grievances or even the absurd notion that Bradley will be back in their dugout this year.

The Cubs are working behind the scenes to resolve Bradley's team suspension quietly and without incident.

"We don't anticipate any problems," said Cubs general manager Jim Hendry Tuesday. "We'll have it worked out in the next few days."

... and that Angel Guzman isn't seriously injured:

No tears were discovered in Angel Guzman's arm exam Tuesday. He has been diagnosed with a mild triceps strain and will be shut down.

Finally, I'm thankful we haven't had to see more starts than absolutely necessary from Jeff Samardzija this year:

Meanwhile, Ted Lilly had today's scheduled start pushed back to Sunday because of minor soreness in his pitching shoulder -- with top-prospect Jeff Samardzija getting his second start of the season, and hoping to compete for a spot in the 2010 rotation.

''Obviously, we'll talk about it a little more when it gets closer to next season, but that's what I'd like to do,'' he said.

And a fun quote from Lilly to finish things off:

"It's nothing to panic about," Lilly said. "It doesn't feel like I'd prefer it to, but there's no reason to pitch through it and take any unnecessary risks."

(Julie adds something fun)

Thanks to the fabulous @cubsjunkie, who finally succeeded in her quest to hunt down these photos!

Thumbnail image for rookiephoto.jpg

It looks like we have someone I can't identify as Wonder Woman (is that Taguchi? he's not a rookie),  Bobby Scales (?) as Daphne, unknown rookie as Buzz Lightyear with sidekick Randy Wells as Woody, Hufflepuff as a giant pig, and Sam Fuld as another Wonder Woman?

Help me out here.

secdelahc said:

Spellcheck is only starting because Ted Lilly wants it to be so. And Spellcheck will dominate, if Ted Lilly uses his psychic powers to gain control over his body.

I am also thankful for Tyler Colvin, who is making the last few games of a sad season really fun to watch.

Umbra said:

"with top-prospect Jeff Samardzija getting his second start of the season, and hoping to compete for a spot in the 2010 rotation."

Cubs, stop, you're doing it wrong.

Does Samardzijia have *any* supporters?

you and Ed haven't given up on him yet. He'll come out on top, he always does.

Oh wait. . . that's someone else.

That doesn't mean I support him. I just think he's still got a chance at being OK.

Umbra said:

I reserve the right to irrationally support the players I irrationally support. I also reserve the right to change my mind and forget that I ever did so.

we should put that in the community guidelines.

Either that, or he needs to go over to ACB.

Umbra said:

The idiot masses that thisyearcub thinks are real?

i don't doubt that there are idiot masses, i just don't like generalizing about an entire fan base. i get that matt isn't doing that, but others do.

Umbra said:

I choose to remember Matt denigrating the intelligence of vast swaths of people.

I do, for one. I think Cubs fans are idiots. But then again, I think the vast majority of Americans (and probably everyone in the world) are a bunch of tards, and it is amazing to me we've managed to build a society.

Exhibit A: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3787/emericav3.jpg

millertime said:

Me! He's gonna be awesome! Soooo Awesomeeeeeee!

"you're doing it wrong" has become my new favorite thing to say. this is not NOT because it's from one of the greatest movies EVER, "Mr. Mom."

is there anything better than Michael Keaton movies from the 80s?

Most of all, I am thankful for Carl, who takes 50% of the pressure off me each week. (blows kiss)

And for me, who returns the pressure with twice the force.

And for you, who is always the first one to tell me when I've messed up.

I do what I can.

So I got up early this morning, all ready to get a ton of work done. First, there was a 2-hour History Channel special on Charlemagne on, now MacKenzie Phillips is on Oprah talking about her train wreck of a childhood.

I'm not getting off this couch today, am I?

I would also like to add that I really love The Mamas & The Papas, as well as One Day At A Time (but that was mostly because, at 3, I was excited that someone else named "Julie" was on TV)

I showed up to work early to get a lot of stuff done, have been here for an hour and accomplished nothing.

This is partly to do with this new jaggoff the office recently hired whose attitude makes me want to go to town on his face with a crowbar.

hmm....

I feel that way about everyone I work with.

So it will be a normal day for you.

screw you.

Hey, don't get mad at me. You are the one that watches these shows everyday.

no i don't! i usually get up and go to the coffeehouse, jerk!

coffeehouse

aka: the couch in your living room.

It's ok. There's nothing wrong with that.

and now valerie bertenelli has shown up to support mackenzie.

sob!

i might just get some chocolate and sit here all day.

valerie has cried off all her makeup. so have i.

Wow, there are some serious attitude issues going on in my office today. Fortunately not directed at me, but still. I want to be anywhere but here.

millertime said:

"Top prospect Jeff Samardzija".

I like the sound of that. That author is so kind.

You know...normally I'd be ok with trying to talk up the value of a young, unproven player...because it increases his trade value. But Spellcheck has a no-trade clause (WTF!?!?!?!) so it's a moot point.

He sucks.

millertime said:

You need to be more of a positive thinker.

He sucks.

Umbra said:

You need to be more of a positive thinker.

no I don't.

Dear Brewers,

Prepare for the pain train. Cause it's about to come chugging in to Beertown station. Jeff "The Top Prospect" Samardzija is about to kick off what will likely go down as one of the greatest pitching careers of all time. Fuck that last start, it was againtst the Phils, so, fuck it. Doesn't count.

Prince Fielder? Nice season this year, but it's time to take an off day. I fear for your saftey. Your violent swing will leave you with nothing but a shattered back as you flail helplessly at 2-seam after 2-seam.

Ryan Braun? Show up in your designer shirts and make up. You ain't gettin HR #30 this game anyways. Just save yourself the trouble of having your eyes explode out of your head after you witness a mind shattering splitter.

Rest of Brewers lineup? It'll just be another day at the office for you guys. I'm pretty sure you're used to being dominated. Just squint and pretend Chris Carpenter is on the mound and wearing a Cubs uniform, and you'll get through this with your sanity intact.

Is Jeff a magician? Yes, but what you see today will be no illusion. Criss Angel isn't even this good. How will Samardzija do it? I true magician never reveals his secrets. Lets just say it will involve a large number of fastballs, splitters, and sliders, and plenty of tears from the Brewers faithful. No shirt untucking going on today. Jeff Samardzija is Ozymandias, king of kings! Look upon his works, ye Mighty, and Despair!!!!!!!!

um...

Did you guys see the photo I added to the headlines? I need help identifying players!

Sammy Fuld has nice boobs.

ESPN quoting Milton's mom:

"According to his mother, Bradley's unhappiness in Chicago stems in part from racism that his 3-year-old son has faced at school.

"When racism hit his 3-year-old baby in school, he couldn't take that," Rector said in a radio interview earlier this week, according to the Sun-Times. "Parents, teachers and their kids called him the n-word. He didn't even know it was a bad word until his mom told him."

When asked why her son shared the information only with her this season, Rector said, "Milton is a quiet person. Stuff like that, he keeps to himself. He doesn't want to talk about that because he doesn't think anybody cares. It is a heartbreaking situation."

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

Not only is there a conspiracy againt Milton by the fans, umps and his teammates, but now the parents, kids, and teachers at his son's school are conspiring against his son.

Bullshit.

So if the racism was at school, does that let the Cub fans off the hook?

it certainly should. for all we know, those were White Sox or Cardinals fans stirring up this mess.

Oh! That's Spellcheck as Buzz Lightyear. Duh.

Sam Fuld looks hot as wonder woman.

millertime said:

Julie, why is it that you get to call Bullshit when Milton Bradley complains about something, but when Kobe Bryant is accused of rape and the charges are later dropped, nobody can call bullshit on the female Bryant "raped"?

Where did MB say his teammates were conspiring against him? He's complained that Umps are out to get him, a feeling shared by many players in every sport who feel officials are personally targeting them for past performance. We even know officials do this. Greg Maddux gets a larger strike zone because he's Greg Maddux. Lebron James can "crab" dribble, take 4 steps, run over a defender, and he gets an "and one" stiuation. Why is it so hard to believe that umps might give Milton Bradley a larger strike zone? Is it honestly that crazy? I don't think it is. I think Bradley overaggerated, and sounded stupid in the process, but in the long run I don't think it's a big deal.

Bradley says the fans conspire against him. While many fans support him, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the apple crisp. Again, Bradley blows things out of proportion, sounds dumb, but is he so wrong? Were there not fans from the start of the season who wanted to see him fall on his ass and fail?

I still don't know where Bradley says his teammates are against him. He said he doesn't have anyone to confide in, which is different from a conspiracy charge. All Bradley was saying is that he doesn't have any close friends on the team. It's his first year here. Bradley obviosuly has problems getting close to people, but I don't find it too big a deal.

Are the parents, kids, and teachers conspiring against his son? Probably not to the extent that Bradley makes it out to be. But does this mean that there absolutely no chance that Bradley's son has faced racism? I don't think so. If I can't call bullshit on charges against Kobe cause I don't know all the facts, why should you be able to call bullshit on Bradley because you did some pocket psycho analysis based on newspaper quotes and interviews, and understand exactly what type of person Bradley is?

i'm saying that i do not believe that the 3-year old child of a PRO ATHLETE was called the N-word by other kids, parents, and teachers. sorry--i don't believe it. it's not pocket psycho analysis, it's living in this area and having had two small children who have attended many different daycares, which often were staffed with many African-American teachers. Almost every daycare I've ever been to has "character counts" programs that teach kids about respect, manners, and love. Most celebrate MLK day and Black History Month. I know that the three daycares my kids were in did and I know that others do as well, and I'm in freakin' NAPERVILLE, probably the whitest suburb in Chicago.

Do I believe Milton, and possibly his son, have faced racismn in the past? Of course I do. Do I believe there's some David Duke-esque preschool out there in Chicagoland where this kind of thing runs rampant and that parents, teachers, and other 3-year olds take part? No. I don't.

millertime said:

I don't think it runs rampant. I think someone(Milton's mom, wife/girl friend/whoever) is over-exaggerating. But it wouldn't surprise me if Bradley's son got called the N-word by another kid. Kids that young don't know what they're saying, and were probably just repeating something they overheard their parents say. I don't think the teachers and parents were in on it, that part of the story I think is exaggeration intended to cause headlines. Surely you've encountered clients or opponents of clients that exaggerate their side of the story to make their side seem like a bigger victim.

Milton's son might not have even been racially attacked. He might have been made fun of or picked on because of who his father is. The story is probably coming out now because it gets more coverage now. That seems to be how newspapers work sometimes. They run a story when it will get the most interest, and they make outlandish claims in the story to get a jive out of people.

I'll admit, there is a good possibility that this is a non-story. Like you say, it's highly doubtful that things happened exactly how it's being portrayed. I just don't feel like this is Milton Bradley making false accusations to get back at people. It's just a story. Like when Michael Moore does a documentary and shows himself walking out of a bank seemingly recieving a free gun at the bank. That is actually not the case, the guns were given out at a gun shop across town, but with editing special circumstances, Moore makes a stronger and more entertaining point. All I get from the story about Bradley's son is that he is probably getting picked on/ made fun of because of who his dad is. Kids always pick on other kids.

That's what I'm saying. Is it possible that something happened? Of course it is, I'd be stupid to say that it's not possible. Do I think it happened the way his mom is saying he told her it did? No, I don't. But I think the problem is that both Milton and his mother live in a world where they think that's a believable story. And I find it highly doubtful that Milton would have kept quiet about it and only told his mother. With all the other bitching he's done this year, that would have had to be at the top of the list. It would have been at mine if it had been my kid. Hell, it would have been at the top of my list if it was someone else's kid.

Also, the problem with 3-year olds in that you don't always understandf what they're saying. Some guy at Slate wrote a huge article about his distress at his young son learning the word "pussy," until 50,000 wrote in and told him that what his kid was saying was "Percy," who is a friend of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Because it's still hard for me to believe that parents in this community use the N-word in front of their kids, particularly in wealthy and hence more-educated communities where pro athletes live, I think it's also possible that the kid used another word entirely, but that an overly-protective mother or nanny jumped on it as being the "n" word. There are a lot of words I've been shocked to hear my kids use, only to discover that they were really trying to say something else.

But my whole point is not that anything happened, but that if his mom really believes that teacherS, parentS and kidS all called his son the n word, she has some serious issues herself.

I agree.

Sounds like its time to team up and blow up the death star.

You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor.

Take him away!

millertime said:

Julie, if you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Am I missing a reference here, or have you guys just gone totally insane?

GeekToMe said:

LOLZ! Star Wars references in a Cubs blog? I am now officially in love with you guys!

It's part of the reason this blog was created. No more ABATT.

millertime said:

ABATT = all baseball all the time. Apparently there used to be this other blog ruled my an evil emperor, but then Julie used the force and started her own blog that allows discussion of things non-baseball related. A blog that has single-handedly, in the last few months, solved racism, first-amendment rights, and a variety of other sociol issues.

Julie was Darth Vader to Al's Emperor Palpatine...

But Julie turn back to the good side and has once again become Anakin Skywalker.

but not the old bald one. the hot hayden christiansen one.

millertime said:

You underestimate my powers!

too bad he couldn't act.

you forgot about global warming.

the force is strong with this one.

millertime said:

If you tell me you haven't seen Star Wars...I don't even know what I'd do.

Star Wars is one of the greatest films ever. Perfect soundtrack, great writing, fun story, good acting.

You have never been so right.

I have never seen Star Wars.

You need some serious help.

I thought this was already an established fact.

Yeah...but I thought you might actually be able to find someone to help you. Now I'm not so sure.

kdashfgkljdashfjlaksheflkjafh!#$%fgsrg.

I was with you until #.

i find your lack of faith disturbing.

Julie, release him!

Oh and just so you don't think I'm ignoring the Kobe story.

You guys know that I've worked in domestic violence court with clients who have been beaten, raped, and worse. I've also defended guys vehemently who I believed were falsely accused of rape.

Rape is such a hard crime to prove--there are hardly ever witness and the evidence is hard to interpret, because evidence of rape is usually not all that distinguishable from that of consensual sex.

I judge rape on a case-by-case basis, and I guess I make a judgment based on what evidence there is, as well as the demeanor of the victim after the alleged crime took place. I also put a lot of stock in whether police or nurses believe the woman, as they are usually the first to see her after the crime.

Do I believe some women cry "rape" for malicious reasons? Abosultely. I also beleive that number is very small. . . maybe 1-2 percent of cases reported. Most rapes aren't reported, so the fact that it took a women days or weeks or months to report it doesn't matter to me. Also, it doesn't matter to me if a victim chooses not to press charges, because most victims know what they're in for if they take the stand. A lot of women would just rather not put themselves through it.

Nor do I put much stock in people who wind up settling rape cases in civil court. Victims are often induced to drop criminal charges in exchange for a civil settlement, even in cases where celebrities aren't involved. It's another way to try to make the victim whole. To me, it's not evidence of gold-digging or an ulterior motive. It's just the way we resolve disputes in this country. If I were raped by a rich guy, I would want him to go to jail AND pay through the nose for what he did to me. It's another form of punishment.

In the Kobe Bryant case, I found her credibility bolstered by the fact that Kobe allegedlyl had scatches on his chest, that his t-shirt was covered in blood, and that co-workers who saw her shortly after the event said she looked distraught. But that's a judgment call on my part. There are really only two people who know what happened that night. And they obviously tell different stories.

Big Ben's accuser is another story. I don't find her to be credible at all, and I find the way he has vehemently defended himself to be pretty convincing.

What I don't like, and what I took issue with in the Kobe case, is the argument that women falsely accuse men of rape all the time. I don't believe that's the case. That hasn't been my experience in criminal court. Most of my rapist clients did it. And I knew they did it. Very rarely did I ever beleive that they were falsely accused.

So I don't take issue with people who call bullshit on Kobe's accuser, I just wanted it to be with some level of understanding that what made her case suspicious in their eyes was often very common in rape cases.

Just like with the Milty domestic battery thing. Some people are convinced that he's innocent because the police didn't arrest him. The police almost NEVER arrest a batterer, unless the woman is so severely injured that she needs medical attention. Like I said, if I were prosecutor, I would have loved to have had that case--there was more evidence than usual in a domestic battery case.

My two cents, fwiw.

Were you a trial lawyer at your old firm(s)?

uh. . yes. you knew this.

You think I pay attention to anyone but me?

it's not my experience that kids pick on kids at 3 though, they're usually pretty self-absorbed at that age. other than fighting over toys, they aren't even all that aware of other kids, and i'm not sure they'd understand the concept of calling someone a name based on the color of their skin, unless a parent actively sat down and explained it to them.

I've noticed that skin color issues at school seem to take affect around 8 or 9...which is about the age that they are told about differences...then the kids start breaking down into playing more with other kids of their own ethnic group.

But I'm assuming

um...I'm not sure where that last line come from...oops.

thisyearcub said:

Millertime, trust me, you're wasting your breath/typing fingers. Just accept that you're apparently "batshit crazy" and move on. But know that while you may be batshit crazy, at least you don't support one of the worst journalists ever.

So, welcome the arrival of Tyler Colvin and start thinking of whether D-Lee can keep this enormous hot streak going into next year, if the Cubs are seriously thinking about Samarzdija as a starter in 2010 and wonder if the Bud Light Fan Cam cameraman has the best job ever.

PS: Good points about Kobe though.

millertime said:

Dood, I thought you were a stat person. Ed Nickow pointed out last night, Colvin's numbers are WAY better than Bradley's. The proof is in the pudding.

thisyearcub said:

Also, Cubs 3-0 since Bradley was suspended. There HAS to be something there.

Even Bruce Miles has pointed out that the mood with this team is very different since Bradley left.

I don't think we're winning because he's gone, though. I think we're winning because we're playing the Brewers.

thisyearcub said:

Unfortunately, I'm sure there are a lot of fans who believe the former, even though the latter is true. Had Bradley been suspended before the Cards, would have been a different story.

We'll see how the SF trip goes.

Are you talking about me? The only person I ever called "batshit crazy" was Milty, and I don't support Paul Sullivan. I've written two diaries bashing him.

thisyearcub said:

Nope, not talking about you. You did not make that comment, and I know you don't support Sullivan.

jtbwriter said:

Morning from hot So Cal....

I'm an optimist-I hope that Milton's son learns that most people are nice and not racist and that he won't face the sometimes racist stuff his dad has. And that Milton will find a happier place to be.
As for Spellcheck-I'm also optimistic that he will have a good start and that he will get some run support like Wells got! Kudos on getting that rookie photo-that put a smile on my face!
I hate to say it, but I identified more with the "Julie" on "Days Of Our Lives" then Mackenzie Phillips's
character on "One Day"....course that Julie got to be the other woman with every man in town and had a lot of fun...sigh. Soap Operas-a dying breed. Nowadays they're being replaced with reality shows and bad remakes of good game shows.

I'm not sure what Milton should have expected...

He sent his kid to David Duke Elementary School.

Ha! Me too! Doug and Julie! My mom always had Days on when I was kid.

But before "One Day At a Time," I wanted to change my name to "Kelly" because Jaclyn Smith was my favorite Angel. :)

millertime said:

Now I'm watching Star Wars: A New Hope. Best. Movie. Ever.

The original, not the bullshit version where Greedo shoots first.

If it's the original version...

Then you should just call it Star Wars.

Yeah--we don't call it "A New Hope" unless you're one of those people who liked the prequels. I didn't like them all that much. Though Darth Maul totally kicked ass.

GeekToMe said:

Heh. Empire is better IMO. Yes, ANH was the first of it's kind, but Empire improved on the original.

millertime said:

Don't let Kevin Smith and his hilarious movies about Quick Stop and Video Store clerks make your decisions for you. The original three are all equal in my eye. New Hope is just more equal than others.

And I even like the 3 newer ones. They're not as good, but fuck it, its still star wars. That shit is like cocaine to me. Can't stop. I'm even going to start watching that dorky cartoon on Cartoon Network.

"Phantom Menace" made me want to stick a fork in my eye. I don't want Darth Vader to be cute at 8. I wanted him to be eating other kids for breakfast.

And Hayden Christiansen is just painful to watch.

millertime said:

I know. But Darth Maul was kickkass. So was Obi Wan.

Have you heard Patton Oswalt's "Tonight I will kill george lucas with a shovel" bit?

LMAO!!!!

So true. . . I couldn't agree more. Hated the prequels. I still watch them, of course, but I'm not happy about it.

Except, of course, for Darth Maul, who I keep hoping will find someway to survive PM.

I agree. ESB is my favorite.

I agree. ESB is my favorite.

Why the heck does that keep happening?

Because CN is buggy.

Empire is the best "sequel" ever. And yes, I know it's not really a sequel, but you know what I mean.

millertime said:

"If this is counselor ship, WHERE is the AMBASSADOR?!?"

"Comb the desert!"

millertime said:

"Man, we ain't found shit!"

"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." -Milton Bradley

thisyearcub said:

I think that's Andres Blanco as Spongebob.

That's what I thought, too.

Dmband said:

Re: Milton Bradley

Here's my problem with this story. Who is the journalist that decided it was a good idea to interview his Mom. I mean, come on!! Any mom in the world is going to defend her child regardless of the issue. Im sure Milton spoke to her in advance of the interview and told her about the "racism" that his 3 year old faced (Seriously, are 3 year old able to comprehend racism, furthermore, if a teacher or administrator made comments MB should have reported this immeditately. ITS BS ALL THE WAY). So Miton figured that story would help justify his actions/poor play. You see it everyday, people who dont produce at work always create some false reality of whats really going on, everyone's out to get them etc. I think the most telling sign is that players on the Cubs who historically have never been outspoken are coming out and basically saying he was a bad teammate. His history speaks for itself...Thats not playing Arm-Chair Psycholgist, thats seeing a pattern of behavior and recognizing its nothing new with this 'tard.

Funny how Derrek Lee never seemed to have race issues in Chicago...wierd. He must not be African American?

thisyearcub said:

As I've said about 1,000 times, you can't use the Derrek Lee argument. Because it's been documented that he has said he has heard racist comments, not directed at him though.

So yeah, funny.

No, it HASN'T been documented. He said he has heard them, and we all believe him because we believe he's a credible person. We don't have any documentation in any of this, that's the whole problem. We're arguing over something no one can prove or disprove.

But I know what you mean, and I agree. I believe DLee when he says that he's heard it. Of course, playing devil's advocate, that still doesn't meanthat Bradley has heard it, but it makes it more likely that it's true.

thisyearcub said:

I was saying it HAS been documented by Wittenmeyer on print. We understand each other though.

millertime said:

D-Lee did have race issues. So Jaque Jones. Torii Hunter didn't want to come to Chicago (supposedly) because of race issues.

I think the question isn't do african american players face racial taunts when they play, it's more a question of how often, and if race is behind the insults, or if racial comments are just being used as another way of taunting that player.

If I ever heard or saw anyone yell something racial to any player at any game, I would be in their face and down their throat in about two seconds. I just can't believe people sit there and let that go on.

Maybe this is why Max doesn't like to take me out in public.

millertime said:

Would it be nerdy to have the star wars cantina song (the one from the movie, not the hilarious one) at a wedding recpetion?

no, it would be awesome.

i would have walked down the aisle to princess leia's theme, if i could have.

millertime said:

My cousin got to choose one song at his wedding. He went with the celebration march from Star Wars, for when he and his wife walked down the aisle after the ceremony.

That's awesome. If I had had a girl, "Leia" was definitely in the mix. I get this from my dad who, when I was little, had more star wars toys than I did.

I once dated a girl that said if we ever get married, she wanted to dress up as Princess Leia with the bun roll hair...and I was to dress up as a Jedi knight.

Of course, talking about marriage of any sort was grounds for dumping her, so I did.

Maz has suggested the gold bikini for Halloween on several occasions. Dork.

um...I don't think I'd want max to be in a gold bikini.

Aaron34 said:

I love Cubs and Baseball, but I am so sick and tired of everything. The worst part of everything and I'm not saying change it but the season is just so g.d. long! I am so sick of the Cubs taking seven months to break my heart. The only thing that has made this year bearable are the Soxs suck just as bad. I don't know if I could have handled my Soxs friends giving me the business if they make it to the playoffs.
Why did we hire Milton Bradley? Why didn't we trade him earlier? Why did we trade Wood? DeRosa? Hendry needs to get his act together and stop pouring money into jerks like Bradley and actually get someone who loves baseball.

MyWrigleyville

millertime said:

Correct. If Hendry doesn't stop spending on players like Bradley, Zambrano, Dempster, Lee, Ramirez, and Soriano, we'll never get out of this streak of 18 losing seasons in a row. I mean, it's not like we've won the division 2 years in a row, right?

We hired Bradley because we needed a RF, preferably one who batted LF. Bradley was the #1 RF we could have signed.

We didn't trade Bradley because like the Lemon Law, we'd get absolutely nothing for him, and would be a worse team because of it.

We let go of Wood because odds were he wasn't going to pitch as well as he did. Ditto with DeRosa. Better to let a player go a year early than a year late. We got some good prospects for DeRo.

Hendry has gotten his act together, winning the past two division titles, and putting this team into contention this year. If it wasn't for injuries to some of our better players, and down years from others, this team would probably be leading the division race, if not at least seriously in contention. As it is, if this team keeps Bradley and he has a bounce back season next year (which he is fully capable of), there is no reason why this team shouldn't contend for the next 2 years as well.

secdelahc said:

I would disagree with you there. I think that getting "people who love baseball" is the reason that the Cubs haven't won in over 100 years.

HOnestly, it's more important to take a chance and have good talent, because chemistry comes with winning. This team, while great with talent, always had some reason or another that it didn't win. Then everyone got stressed out and tempers started to shine through, and that's where all the problems started.

I think that if they could've ripped off a good 9 or 10 game winning streak, the entire season would have changed and we may not be seeing all the controversy that we've seen lately.

oog of ulams said:

I heartily agree. I've seen the light. Wood and DeRosa = love baseball. Plural jerks like Bradley presumably = do not love baseball.

Just wondering who the other jerks are. I say Zambrano, Soriano, and Jacques Jones.

Duh, oog. They aren't starting it back up until the Spring.

I would have rather had DeRosa than Miles/Fontenot. We could have freed up the money to get Bradley by hiring a hobo instead of Kevin Gregg.

oog of ulams said:

Bigger loss re: Miles would probably have been Cedeno and Pie, who didn't cost jack.

Eh--Cedeno didn't cost jack, but didn't contribute jack, either.

I'm still convinced we gave up on Pie way too early.

I'm not.

secdelahc said:

I think Jake Fox is the leprechaun. He's kinda chunky.

Agreed.

I take it back, I think Fox is Michael Jackson--that looks more like his face.

Fox should have been Spongebob.

AndCounting said:

At first I didn't realize y'all were talking about the picture . . . I got really confused.

secdelahc said:

Then who is the fat leprechaun? I wasn't looking at their faces. I thought Jake was the chunky rookie.

we must have another, secret fat rookie

Dmband said:

Regarding D Lee, all I see is him get pretty much a standing O every time he comes to the plate...and those same fans in RF used to LOOOVE Sosa...I guess the reason I get very upset about these racial comments is that I have been to probably 40 games in the last two years and have sat in the bleachers at least 10-12 times. I have never heard one racial slur, and if I did, I would have had security promptly remove those individuals. Im sure its there, I havent seen or heard it..maybe Im naive, but Im sick of getting lumped in with idiots, when a player like Bradley makes these comments...

Just be aware that there's a faction out there that thinks Milton Bradley is the second coming of Malcolm X and won't acknowledge that he ever makes a mistake. All of this is the fault of "idiot fans" and Bradley bears no responsibility whatsoever (Matt, I am not talking about you).

Despite the fact that teammates, friends, and even his high school coach have come out and blamed Milton for the way he acted, it's still Chicago's fault and we'll never get another minority free agent in this town because we weren't smart enough to appreciate Milton Bradley when had him.

Also, everything that comes out of his mouth is 100% true and if you don't believe him, you're either stupid or a racist, probably both.

There's not point even arguing with them, it's like talking to a lamp.

millertime said:

Why do you hate lamps so much?

uh . . . i think i've made it clear that it's because they are poor arguers.

millertime said:

You're a lamp hater, that's what you are. But it's ok. Lamps will come out on top. They always do.

millertime said:

But shouldn't it matter what you replace the lamp with?

Not. One. Bit.

Worrying about what to replace the lamp with is what turns a store into Big Lots.

oog of ulams said:

If only just! Everything we say is inherently a ridiculous exaggeration of itself. All logic is out the window and we do nothing but hyperventilate! LAMP LAMP LAMP!!!!11

see what i mean?

NO! I'm a lamp! Milton Bradley is so nice! That's all I've ever said!1

I'm not talking about you. Jeez.

oh.

oog.

oog love lamp

oog of ulams said:

Paul Sullivan's skewed coverage, not to mention Gordo's, brought up racism. To start, all Bradley said was he faces "hatred." Let's start there. We'll finish with me being a lamp who is generalizing Cubs fans for pointing out that numbers of them have done stupid/rude/racist things before. Also a lamp who thinks players should be judged on their abilities and that good players should be expected to rebound.

millertime said:

You're like one of those lamps that you buy at Pier 1.

oog of ulams said:

I may as well point out here that decrying those people who constantly declare "all Cubs fans" racist kicks the crap out of a straw man but does little to address the valid point that a team investing millions in a moody, over-sensitive player should take pains to protect that investment. Even if it means calling out The Fans for unfortunate moments.

I mean, constantly being irritated that people are calling out The Whole Fanbase makes sense. But then you shouldn't be happy with players calling them the Greatest Fans in the World either. Cubs fans can be shitty people just like anyone else. And they shouldn't get a pass for it anymore than in other walks of life.

millertime said:

"But ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman. When I get on your airplanes I think "Have I been eaten by a giant metal bird?""

I agree with this, and I'm not sure why the Cubs didn't make an issue out of it back when Baker and Jones and Hawkins were having these issues. I, for one, would have welcomed some sort of "if you see something, say something" campaign to stamp out racist jerks at wrigley.

i just think that, judging from his teammates' reactions, and even that from Mike Cameron, who is supposedly his friend, Milty wasn't a favorite in the clubhouse, either. that, combined with his fight with Von Joshua, make me think that there may have been more issues behind the scenes than just Milton feeling "hatred" from the fans.

And by the way, someone pointed out to me yesterday, what the hell kind of waiter disses a pro athlete in his restaurant before he leaves a tip? Give me a fucking break.

Hendry isn't my favorite, but I don't thin he's stupid enough to toss out a good player and eat $25 million just because the fans don't like him.

oog of ulams said:

This is pure conjecture at this point, but some have floated the theory that Ricketts may be a more "hands on" type of owner, and that Hendry may not have had much choice about it.

Hendry DID come out strongly in defense of Bradley at some point earlier in the season. But it's all conjecture.

Well, we haven't cut him loose yet, so I guess we'll see what happens. At the same time, if you piss off the boss, you risk getting fired. Just like the rest of us. At least he's still getting paid.

oog of ulams said:

You're like one of those cocktail sets that you buy there.

i didn't call you a lamp.

but look, i've acknowledged repeatedly that the press, particularly sullivan and wittenmeyer, bear some responsibility in this. in fact, paul sullivan's gleeful tweets the night of Milty's departure made me feel sick. he was acting like he won the sweepstakes. that's not what reporters are supposed to do.

but i've yet to see anyone in the other "camp" acknowledge that, in general, Bradley has behaved like a jackass. adversity doesn't make you who you are, it reveals who you are. and there are a lot of players that have faced far worse and handled it with far more class than Bradley.

does this mean I excuse racist fans or biased reporters with an agenda? of course not. but Bradley is far from the first person to encounter this kind of thing. honestly, i think what dlee went through and what dempster is going through are far worse. and, lest everyone forget, chicago is far from the first place bradley has had problems getting along with people. his high school coach even said his issues go all the way back to high school.

in the end, i blame hendry for ever thinking this would work, when plenty of people saw this as a train-wreck in the making from the start, simply baed on bradley's inability to handle stress in any form.

millertime said:

You can't hide your anti-lamp bigotry from me. I'm sure if we look into your past, we'll find out that it was you behind the grass roots movement to exclusively use candles to light your house.

oog of ulams said:

He has been problematic everywhere. But can we say that it got THIS BAD in Oakland, San Diego, or Cleveland? It sure seems like there's some kind of new ingredient in this mix.

I think it was this bad in LA. Calling one teammate a racist and a reporter an Uncle Tom seems to indicate some issues. Plus, he was actually barred from ST in Cleveland and then traded, which is sort of like being suspended.

thisyearcub said:

This was going on way before Milton Bradley. Torii Hunter put the Cubs on the no-trade list a few years ago. The LaTroy Hawkins, etc. death threats was in 2006.

It has just come more to light now because of Bradley's persona. It's good that this has come out, and bad altogether. I'm not sure how it will get better (usually shit like that is ingrained in you) except for the fact that a lot of baseball players will look past one or two stories/incidents given the fact they're getting paid $6 or $7 million a year.

Then it's just up to the fans.

It's not like people in Chicago don't realize that racism is a problem in this city. Jeez. And that seems to be the over-whelming view from people who don't live here. Most people had a hard time believing that people yell racial things at games because they a) can't imagine doing that themselves and b) have never heard it. That's a GOOD thing. That means most fans are probably decent people and that it probably doesn't happen all that often. As opposed to Atlanta where the entire crowd engages, en masse, in racial stereotyping and it's encouraged by the front office.

But racism here doesn't generally manifest itself the way Bradley has claimed. I can buy that he has had racial slurs yelled at him because he's not the first player to say that. But Jesus Christ, does he really expect people to believe that multiple parents, teachers, and kids hurled the "n-word" at his 3-year old? Even my African American friends here think he's full of shit on that one.

We don't yell racial taunts at 3-year olds, at least give us that.

thisyearcub said:

I don't know. Maybe this is why he stayed quiet on the whole thing, because he figured no one would believe him anyway, which seems to be the case. Remember, it was his mom who came out and said all this.

Like you said above, there's no way to prove or disprove any of this. I can believe that it happened just as much as I think it's overblown. In the end, it's kind of worthless to go back and forth on b/c no one can be sure of anything here, given the circumstances of both sides (Bradley and the group of insulting fans). Both have precedent to be discredited.

Brian Moore said:

The racism directed at his 3-year-old by other 3-year-olds didn't happen. Anyone who has kids would know that.

or by other parentS (plural) and daycare teacherS. that statement is just crazy.

thisyearcub said:

Correct, since the article never gave the age of the kids who allegedly said the comments.

Anyone who can read would know that.

kids at daycare are almost always segregated by age. a three-year old is usually kept with other three year-olds.

thisyearcub said:

I was in daycare, and in playtime or whatever it's called, there were different ages out there.

Brian Moore said:

Kids in preschool, day care are 3 or 4, maybe 5, tops. That's it.

Anyone who knows anything about schools would know that.

thisyearcub said:

Well I guess it's done deal sealed then. Could be some sort of private daycare. But I'm pretty much done with this pettiness. Obviously I know nothing b/c I don't have kids.

Daycare is different now. It's largely institutionalized, with national programs and curriculum. Kids aren't all thrown in together anymore. There are a lot more DCFS rules and regs than there were when we were kids. The older kids are usually kept away from the smaller kids. And most of the time they'd be in school. In the summer, they usually have separate camp programs for the bigger kids.

There's nobody out there saying this, I'm starting to think you're losing your marbles.

secdelahc said:

I am amused. This is SO going to keep me from getting any work done any time soon.

thisyearcub said:

To put another link that will make you laugh and is halfway fitting....

HAHAHAHAHA. Emails from an Asshole has been updated:

Why would someone want to expose their children to smallpox or shingles?

Umbra said:

It's chickenpox, not smallpox. Chickenpox and shingles are the same virus. You get acquired immunity for a lifetime, and because adult cases are more severe, it's best to get it as a child (if you get it at all).

but, now that there's a vaccine, it's stupid to do this, because a lot of kids do wind up very sick from chickenpox.

and believe me, I'm one of those hippie moms who is very distrustful of vaccines, which drives our ped bananas. but even i don't go this far.

millertime said:

What about that patton oswalt link I posted above? That shit was gold, I can't believe no one else commented on that.

millertime said:

I just re-watched the game from last night. They rebroadcast the game on FSN during the day.

Anyways, Colvin looked good. I hope he pans out, and actually turns into a good hitter. At the very least, he'll be worth keeping an eye on this spring training. Might have a chance to be a backup next year.

millertime said:

If we keep Milton Bradley on this team, the reward would be...well more than you can imagine.

thisyearcub said:

I'm hoping for this for a number of reasons (both baseball and non-baseball related), but I can't see it happening. Too many people have made their mind up. Could you imagine him at the Cubs Convention though? It would be like the President was in town with all the extra security/searches.

Boo the Booers and Heckle the Hecklers Day will be fun though. Once it comes to pass, it shall be glorious. Like Blue.

I don't know...I can imagine quite a bit.

I don't know, I can imagine an awful lot.

now i want to watch star wars

millertime said:

This isn't going to work.

Umbra said:

Why didn't you say so before?

I DID say so before.

Dmband said:

thisyearcub-

Just out of curiosity, are you taking the contrarian viewpoint to play devil's advocate, or do you honestly believe Bradley?

Because when you have a guy like Reed johnson saying he was a bad teammate (paraphrase of course)...thats really all the proof you need coupled with Bradley's history of d-baggery....

Also, the next time I have a bad day at work, Im gonna have my mom call in and explain why....

oog of ulams said:

I'll agree with teammates saying he was a bad teammate. But what especially about Reed Johnson makes him such an accurate barometer other than qualities people imparted in him themselves?

oog learn html

i took reed's comments with a grain of salt. but when dlee, dempster, and ramirez weighed in, i gave reed's comments a lot more credibility.

and, i've said all along, where are his teammates and coaches, past and present, defending him? nowhere.

Umbra said:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Can you imagine what will befall the player who comes out and says that Milton Bradley is an OK guy?

mike cameron said that. he also said he was acting like a jerk (paraphrase).

I'll answer this.

Reed Johnson's son made a birthday wish that his father would be unable to lie for an entire day. Therefore, whatever Reed Johnson says must be true.

thisyearcub said:

HERE COMES THE CLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!

thisyearcub said:

As I've said, I'm not sure what to believe. I would hope it's not true, but I find something like that is hard to make up. Given the sensitive nature, I'm not just going to say "It didn't happen, anyone who has kids knows that" (why does that make a difference???) or that I flat-out don't believe him.

I said this above somewhere, given precedents of both Bradley and past incidents involving a small group of fans who have said racist comments, you could discount either side.

And I don't think just because Milton Bradley is a bad teammate (which, by all accounts, he pretty much did not fit in whatsoever and never helped his cause) provides absolute proof he was lying.

No one can prove anything, that's the problem.

Umbra said:

Having kids means that you are around them more and have a better time predicting how they will act or behave. The argument is that if you spent more time with kids, you would know that young children simply do not call each other names like this: the behavior has been taught to them so they don't know what they are doing.

I would posit that having children might make you a worse judge of their character in certain circumstances. If other children are capable of moral failings, it implies that yours are too. If moral failure is taught, your kid will be Super Virtuous because you won't teach them to be mean.

I love it when people who don't have kids weigh in on their behavior.

It's not just predicting behavior, it's about the likelihood that something like this would happen, considering all the circumstances. That MB, a guy with a history of calling people racist when he get criticized, would just HAPPEN to find the one daycare where parents, teachers, and kids are all racist, and not just closet racists, but OVERTLY racist, is just beyond credulity. So many unlikely things would have to come together for this to happen.

And maybe those of us who have kids are just a little older and have have more life experiences that allow us to be better judges of someone's motives and crediblity? I'm not saying it's so, but it's a possibility, isn't it?

Umbra said:

And here I thought I had studied human behavior well enough to pass as one of you.

My robot masters will be most displeased that I have much to learn.

Finish the Game!!!!!!!!!!!!

thisyearcub said:

I don't have kids, and yes, myself and other people are younger than others. And I respect that. Julie, you make good points, and my argument isn't really with you, it's with the defining statement "This didn't happen, anyone who has kids knows that."

1. How can you be absolutely sure it didn't happen? You can't.
2. I believe there are just as many people without kids who probably believe it didn't happen, there's really no reason to group yourself.

That is all.

think of it this way: if you were going to do a poll on whether or not this story was credible, would you open it up to anyone around the country to weigh in on, or would you limit your target subjects to parents with small children who have been in or around daycare centers in the community in which this was alleged to happen? who do you think will be able to more accurately judge the situation?

if i wanted to take a poll on racism in the South, I wouldn't ask a bunch of white people in Maine, I'd ask minorities in the South.

Same thing.

because people who have had 3-year olds and who have been around daycares frequently can see how unlikely it would be for something like that to happen. it's hard to explain--there are a lot of reasons.

first off, if you have a 3-year old, you know that they don't think like this, they have a hard time remembering things you WANT them to do, much less something you just mentioned in passing. and, at this age, they really aren't prone to distinguishing differences between themselves and other kids' races. that comes maybe around 5-6.

daycare teachers are a) often minorities; and b) spend 6-8 hours a day with "their" kids. they become like your kids. many daycare teachers (and, i would think ALL of those who work at a daycare where pro athletes have their kids) usually have teaching or child psych degrees. i can't imagine a daycare teacher treating a child that way.

daycare centers depend on happy children and happy parents for their business. if you had the child of a pro athlete in your center, would you want to alienate him? Of course not. You want him and the parents to be happy so that they stay in your center and bring in more of their famous friends, giving the center even more cache. Hell, kids that bite other kids get kicked out of daycare, do you think a daycare director is going to overlook calling a pro-athlete's kid a racial slur?

Like I said before, most daycare centers have some kind of "character counts" program, designed to ward off things like racism and classism. daycares are usually pretty racially and ethnically diverse, so i highly doubt that Bradley's son would be the first minority child to attend his daycare, or that Milton, given his issues, would put his child in an all-white daycare.

while i can believe that there are parents out there who are racists in front of their children, i find it almost impossible to believe that an adult from a presumably educated and wealthy community would direct such language at a child OR tell their kids to do so. Remember, the allegation wasn't that one kid said something that he/she might have picked up at home, it was that parents, teachers, and kids had called his child the "n word." Sound familliar? Kind of like the conspriracy against Milton that seems to involve just about everyone.

As a parent AND someone who has worked in and had my kids indaycare, I just find this almost impossible to believe.

painting your nails yourself really sucks

Brian Moore said:

This is awesome, at least I think so. This is from a RedEye story Jan. 6, 2009.

"The signing of Milton Bradley could come back to haunt the Cubs if he displays the behavioral or injury problems (he's been on the disabled list 12 times) he has in the past. Inspired by the games made by Milton Bradley, the toy company, here are some scenarios that the Cubs could face this season.

Sorry!
Bradley apologizes after going on a rant about Cubs TV announcer Bob Brenly, whom Bradley thought had insulted him. It is forever called The Alfonso "Who's Bob Brenly?" Soriano Move.

Jenga
Remember Kerry Wood and Mark Prior? The Cubs' off-season moves come tumbling down after Bradley is sidelined with a knee injury.

Simon
Bradley and Cubs manager Lou Piniella have a dugout spat after Bradley won't do what Sweet Lou tells him to.

Omega Virus
The Cubs have to do damage control after Bradley's attitude disrupts team chemistry. Somewhere, Sammy Sosa smirks.

Scattergories
Bradley engages in a war of words with Bleacher Bums, complete with colorful use of words beginning with the letters "F," "B" and "S."

The sad part is that there are so many predictions along those lines right after Bradley signed with the team.

Yeah, we started calling him "Jenga" pretty early on. . . he was fragile and we never knew when the whole thing was just going to fall apart.

sigh, is it wrong that I just don't have the energy to talk about Bradley anymore?

or am I just sleepy today?

can we continue the Things we are Happy For game?

I am happy that I get all the games on tv this week

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I'm happy for kitties.

Umbra said:

I'm happy for Victor Borge.

to be honest, i don't either. i just keep getting sucked back in, and all it does at this point is give me a headache.

i'm sorry. i'm done now.

Dmband said:

jenga...what a great nickname. alright Im purging myself of MB.

Im happy for my now 80 lb. pit/american bulldog mix. She gets larger by the second, and people are noticably scared of her.......but she's really a sweetheart.

Max Power said:

I skipped most of this discussion (although I have seen it, and discussions on others), as I have a job and a mortgage. That said, let me solve the problems with a series of truisms with which all seem to agree:

1) Racism exists, even in Chicago.
2) Milton Bradley does not deserve to have racists comments directed at him, nor does any other human.
3) Many people, including Cubs fans, are stupid. This includes children.
4) Milton Bradley has unquestionably received racist comments, even here in Chicago.

Some further truisms, based upon my experience (37.5 years on this planet, 8.5 of which as a parent):

1) Three-year-olds are parrots who repeat parents and caregivers, but generally fail to recognize race on their own, outside of noting that a playmate has a "brown face, "pink face" or whatever (those are my sons' terms.
2) To believe Bradley's multi-faceted story about the daycare, you have to make a minimum of four presumptions (no time to extrapolate now).
3) Giving someone the benefit of the doubt is a good thing, but not ON EVERYTHING THEY CLAIM TO BE TRUE, irrespective of its likelihood. If not, Milton Bradley can claim to have seen a unicorn and you cannot dispute it.
4) If this were any other player, this situation might have ended up differently. Baggage is hard to dump.

I don't care if Milton Bradley is telling the truth or not, and I make no presumption one way or the other. I simply find it incredibly hard to believe that the series of things that have to be true for his allegations to be accurate. Law of averages, probability, or whatever term stat-heads use more articulately than I do.

Oh, and hate Paul Sullivan all you want for picking on Milton (and I think he really did put the laser focus on him this year, no question) -- that still does not mean that Milton is to be believed on everything, anymore than you lying to your girlfriend/wife means that you are inherently, and irretrievably, dishonest.

What strikes me most are that the people who seem most willing to make the logical leaps necessary to believe the narrative put forth by Bradley are the same unwilling to make any presumptions about baseball without supporting statistics (and I've got nothing but support for the latter). Apply the same critical skepticism to Bradley's most recent comments (not saying he is wrong, but simply applying a critical eye) and you will likely find yourself less strongly on his side. Does that mean he encountered no racism at all? Of course not. But encoutering racism does not give him a free pass forever.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

What did you lie to Julie about?

Umbra said:

I lied to her about this blog, mostly. You see, I wanted her to have a lot of blog 'friends', so I started creating accounts left and right and posting as different personae. There's really only three people posting here: you, her, and me.

But it's time that the truth came out.

My name is 'Umbra', and I am a simulacrum of Max Power.

thisyearcub said:

Max...this is a well thought-out post that covers many angles and should be read by all. Us whiskey drinkers rock the house.

My last word on this stems from one of your paragraphs. I think right now, the two schools of thought are as follows:

1. What Max said: "I simply find it incredibly hard to believe that the series of things that have to be true for his allegations to be accurate." Again, I'm almost praying that he made this up, for the fact that if it is true, it's pretty disgusting and terrible.

BUT, and here's my thoughtline

2. This scenario: A parent comes to pick up their child at said daycare and in passing, says something either aloud or to the kid like "Your sorry-ass dad is a n*****." The kid thinks nothing of it until he gets home and asks his dad, Milton, what a n***** is.

Again, I would LOVE to be wrong on this. I hope Milton comes out and says he made it up b/c he was on crazy pills or something, or his mom made it up b/c she was protecting her son. But for now, I just can't discount it.

And Max, you're right on with your last sentence. He should not get a free pass for everything. A lot of his problems Bradley brought on himself, one way or the other. I really wish this new story never came to life, but unfortunately, it did.

the number of people like, in AMERICA, who would do something like that is pretty minute. also, that scenario doesn't account for the multiple teachers, kids, and parents who allegedly said this.

Honestly, ask yourself what's more likely, that this actually happened or that, given his history of bizarre behavior, that he made this up or really, really exaggeraged something.

Like Brian said: Apply the same critical skepticism to Bradley's most recent comments (not saying he is wrong, but simply applying a critical eye) and you will likely find yourself less strongly on his side. Seriously, the amount of mental gymnastics involved to make this allegation even somewhat credible are astounding.

thisyearcub said:

If you'll give me there's a possibility that this did happen I'll give you a likelihood that it didn't.

And that's really all I've been saying. There's precedent on both sides to discount.

of course it's POSSIBLE. it's POSSIBLE Spellcheck will toss a no-no tonight.

But probably not. ;)

Max Power said:

TYC, you know I love ya. You assume the best of MB, mostly because you're a good guy. I hope you are right, but I only seek to apply the same statistical analysis to him that the SABR guys do to the rest of the game.

In other words, MB's anecdotes mean nothing without stastistical (i.e., any) backup. Maybe that backup is coming, but it ain't there now. And the presumptions (that three-year-olds aren't inherently racist) are against him. Again, just the facts.

I want to believe him. So does my wife.

However, when he (or his spokesperson mom) says that his kid got it from 3-year-olds, parents, and teachers? I'd sooner believe the unicorn story, but know that, based upon my stats approach, I can believe neither.

Anyone who defends him at this point can no longer mock those who want a case of beer for Jeter....and they know it. They just talk shit about those who call bullshit on them.

Let us all move on and hope for the best next year. It's a freaking game, and the sooner we remember that, the sooner we can enjoy the kids' game over which we obsess.

thisyearcub said:

It's really not assuming the best of Bradley. He's done a ton of crappy things, as have the fans and the media.

It's more that I really don't want to believe someone would take a sensitive subject like racism, bring their 3-year-old son in it and make up an outlandish story.

Again, I would LOVE to be wrong about this, but I don't know if we'll ever get the truth. And until then, no one can be right.

Dmband said:

jenga...what a great nickname. alright Im purging myself of MB.

Am Staffs are great dogs--it's their loyalty and courage that make them so easily exploited by bad people. I'm not suprised she's sweet--that sounds like a great mix. I have two giant dogs that scare the bajeezus out of people, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Dmband said:

hahahaha...try this next time if you havent already...

if you find yourself in an elevator building with your dog(s), stand on the side and let the door open so the person on the outisde only sees the dog...

Its a lot of fun.

millertime said:

This blog is more fun when we talk about star wars, the simpsons, and Ron Burgundy.

thisyearcub said:

I know some have been knocking ACB, but this is a pretty good post that shows almost everybody believes Milton had at least some fault in this. Oh, and it also includes Milton's apology.

There really aren't any winners here.

Max Power said:

We all are Cubs fans. My wife said that. Indeed, I know she is quite fond of Maddog -- a good guy who has proven that to me many times, irrespective of whether we agree wholeheartedly on any given issue.

To repeat: WE ARE ALL CUBS FANS...God help us.