Chicago Cubs Headlines for Sunday

FOOD

In case you hadn't heard, the Cubs lost to the Cardinals again, 2-1. Dempster once again pitched well, but so did Chris Carpenter. And it's hard to win when you give up home runs that shouldn't be home runs:

"I caught the ball, and just the fence jarred it loose," said Scales, who also grounded into a double play to end the Cubs ninth. "That's all there is to it, really. I had it, and the top of the fence jarred it loose, and what are you going to do?

Probably more interesting than in-game play the rest of the way is what happens off the field, how the Cubs go about attempting to shape next year's team.  As much as the media and some fans have made a point of saying that Milton Bradley has to go, it looks as though he's read the writing on the wall, and wants to make that a certainty. Bruce Miles interviewed him one-on-one for the Daily Herald.

Bradley claimed to have no opinion on where he bats - "In the lineup," he said of his preferred spot - and the only time he became expansive at all was when he was asked if he had enjoyed his first season in Chicago.

"Not really," he said. "It's just not a positive environment. I need a stable, healthy, enjoyable environment. There's too many people everywhere in your face with a microphone asking the same questions repeatedly. Everything is just bashing you. You got out there and you play harder than anybody on the field and never get credit for it. It's just negativity.

"And you understand why they haven't won in 100 years here, because it's negative. It's what it is."

Asked whether he was talking about the fans, the media or even the Cubs organization, he replied: "It's everything. It's everybody."

Does it sound to anyone else like he's trying to write his ticket out of town? I wanted him to come back and prove everyone wrong next year, but it looks like he's throwing in the towel. I'm actually more than a little disappointed.

There's not much else in the way of news, so we'll head to snippet land to end today's diary.

Micah Hoffpauir, a late addition to the lineup after Milton Bradley scratched himself, had a season-high three hits.

•The Cubs lost for the 10th time this season when allowing two or fewer runs, the second time against the Cardinals.

Carlos Marmol blew a save for the first time in 10 chances since being named closer last month.

''Do it tomorrow,'' he said. ''Get a save tomorrow.''

Um, what save did he blow? The Cubs never had a lead yesterday. And those pesky Cardinals always bring out the worst in us:

Of the Cubs' last 12 losses in St. Louis, 10 have been by two runs or less.

Umbra said:

"That's all there is to it, really. I had it, and the top of the fence jarred it loose, and what are you going to do?"

Catch the freaking ball? A healthy Alfonso Soriano makes that play, no question.

FrankS said:

A healthy Soriano doesn't like to come with 10 feet of the wall.

FrankS said:

WITHIN 10 feet of the wall. What do you expect from a guy who can't remember right from left?

Umbra said:

Also, maybe we're reading too much into Bradley's quotes. It's a very Milton Bradley-like thing to do to say what's on everyone's mind: he's encountered negativity, he doesn't like the media, he's had a bad experience in his first year. But that doesn't mean he's leaving. Maybe he had a bad experience this year and thinks next year will be better.

FrankS said:

There's nothing to read into what the man says. He doesn't sugar-coat it. He doesn't obfuscate. He says exactly what he thinks and feels. If he knew how to pander to the press and fans, he wouldn't be as disliked as he is.

Unless he's willing to retire, he doesn't have the option of not playing for the Cubs if they retain his services for next year. It's going to be interesting to see if any teams are interested in acquiring Milton Bradley.

I agree, I want to like Bradley, but if he feels that way about Chicago I am not sure what can happen to change his mind

that being said when free agents come to big market cities and are shocked by all the media attention, or to ballparks that sell out and are shocked by all the fan attention it makes me laugh, maybe he thought it would be all warm and fuzzy, and he probably is getting hit harder on both sides than others, but its a big market team what do they expect, Chicago, New York, Boston, if you're a free agent and don't like attention stay away from those cities

Perkins said:

I don't think he thought it would be warm and fuzzy, but I think it's reasonable to expect that people wouldn't deliver the kind of visceral attacks that they have.

I don't see as much local daily press coverage as most other people since its not my current local press coverage, so I'm sure I'm missing some things, and I like that someone is bringing some light to this, I just want to hit my head against the desk because the fine line between calling people out and becoming a whiny person, or even worse a vindictive one is very fine and without some good will already built up its almost non existent

Umbra said:

We could try to not blame the entire 'failure' of the season on him. We could try to write sports journalism stories about him that are actually fair. We can tell our friends in bars that their opinions about sports are wrong.

There's no law of nature that says that journalism by its nature has to be sensational and axe-grinding in order to be read widely, nor that it is a function of how big the market is. I like Bruce Miles and so I read his column, which gives his newspaper ad money.

Perkins said:

Exactly. There are so many reasons the Cubs didn't play to expectations this season, and MB is a rather small one therein. Injuries to Ramirez and 4/5 of the pitching staff stand large. And this is stuff that's relatively easy to see.

I don't get why the media do their jobs as they do, but it's a damning indictment of their employers that they (or more specifically Sullivan) haven't been fired yet.

I have yet to see a single person blame Milton Bradley for this season. Where is this coming from?

Perkins said:

I really liked the comment about "You can see why they haven't won in a hundred years." That's hilarious.

FrankS said:

Yeah, it takes a loser to know a loser?

Perkins said:

Nah, more like he can call a spade a spade. It's relatively easy to see why an organization that panders to a mouth-breathing fanbase instead of consistently trying to put a great team on the field, or that markets its stadium and the "experience" or some lame mystical qualities over the people actually playing the game, has a lot of trouble getting to the World Series.

I'm sure all of the players know this; the Cubs have been a pathetic organization for most of the last 60 years. It looked like they were finally coming around, and then all of this Bradley nonsense happened, and it looks like they're still going to pander to a bunch of whiny fucking crybabies and cunts who can't handle the fact that a guy on their team speaks candidly and often doesn't say things they want to hear. Or that such a player might be having a down season and reasonably expect people to see it as such.

Bradley has had a slightly below average season, and people are acting like he has sucked. It's not like he signed a massive free agent contract...3/30 is fucking peanuts for someone with Bradley's talent. I'll admit that he has been abrasive and has come off like a dick at times, but the media has been on this narrative since he signed. Paul Sullivan openly admitted during spring training that he is less likely to give favorable coverage to players who aren't nice to him.

Jesus fucking Christ! The Cubs signed a talented player who is having a bad season (which happens to just about everyone not named Bonds or Pujols), and now they're going to have to let him go because a bunch of whiny cunts couldn't leave well enough alone. The media in Chicago has had it in for him ever since the day he replaced their second favorite cliche-machine, and most fans simply lack the critical thought necessary to sift through their disingenuous bullshit.

I think partly he's just handled it poorly, I was really hoping he'd come in here and be the Dennis Rodman or Tyler Hansbrough of the Cubs, but I think part of it is that the team is sucking, people want to blame something or someone, and he's the new guy, its not like the fan base is suddenly going to turn on Lee or Ramirez, or Zambrano (although he might be using up some of his good will) and a lot of the media is egging that on

the narrative as you call it could have been changed this season, but the team tanked, Bradley had an off year, and someone is going to be the scape goat, do I think its right? no, but its the way the game has been played in every sport on every level

Perkins said:

That said, I don't think a capacity for critical thought is too much to ask of journalists. I don't expect much from the fans of any team, but you'd think someone other than Bruce Miles or Carrie Muskat would be able to see that this season has played out as it has mainly due to significant injuries and some bad luck.

Aramis Ramirez missed half the season. Soriano has been playing on a bum knee since the end of April. Soto has been on the DL, as have Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Ryan Dempster, and Rich Harden. Add to that worse than expected production from Soto, Fontenot, Bradley, and Soriano (again, knee injury), and it all makes for a perfect storm of suck. And even with all that, this team will still probably win about 85 games.

Like I said, I expect very little of the fans. Fans of most sports teams are fucking morons, at least relative to the sport. I do expect more of the media because, well, objectivity and solid analysis is their fucking job. Their job doesn't (or shouldn't) involve being disingenuous cunts.

yeah, I was with you up until the very very end

Perkins said:

lol, yeah I know that word doesn't win too many friends, but it's the only one I can conjure that's strong enough to express my feelings about people like Kaplan, Sullivan, Rosenbloom, Slezak, Rogers, and Wittenmeyer. It's a travesty that the greatest city in the world has such sorry excuses for writers, and it's a testament to why print newspapers are dying.

you're a smart guy, I think someone with your way with words can do better, especially when describing writers

Perkins said:

lol, it's the worst word in the English language. That's why I chose to use it.

it's also pretty offensive to women, many of which populate this board.

Perkins said:

Yeah, I try not to use it, but 'disingenuous charlatans' simply isn't strong enough language for people like Kaplan and Sullivan.

FrankS said:

or describing the fans of the team. Or describing sports fans in general.

Perkins said:

Obviously there are exceptions to these, but since you asked:

Sports fans: passionate, myopic, irrational, judgmental, subconsciously racist, and generally lacking in the ability to make sound judgments about what would make a team good/better.

Cubs fans: self-entitled, whiny, easily-deceived, often mildly to openly racist, bombastic, obnoxious, phony, ungracious, intoxicated, belligerent, and disgraceful. If given the opportunity to run the team, would ensure a millenium of failure.

That enough adjectives?

FrankS said:

Perkins,

I understand why you like Bradley. You share the same lack of tact that he does. Since you have such obvious distaste for Cub fans and the organization, will you please align your allegiance with Milton's next team? Thank you.

I'm with Perkins on this one. Just because Cubs fans are total assclowns doesn't mean we can't like the team.

baturkey said:

Yeah, Perkins is a keeper.

agains with the strawman 'cubs fans' comments. aren't you guys cubs fans? are you calling yourselves out? or just those of us that live in Chicago? i get really sick of the "every cubs fan is an idiot except me" argument.

I blame Irish people.

Perkins said:

Nah, there are exceptions to every rule. Just think of it this way, though. Most Cubs fans don't know enough about the team to follow it to the extent that any of us does. You're all familiar with the mouthbreathers at BTI...well, they're more informed about or interested in baseball than most Cubs fans. That's a terrifying thought.

this bothers me, though. because most of the Cubs fans I know (ones that don't even read this site) are actually very smart baseball fans. i think of the idiots as defining Cubs fans the same way that i think of the "birthers" defining the Republican party--the vocal minority that makes eveyone look bad.

i just hate it when people say "cubs fans" are idiots, meaning "everyone except me and my friends." it's so insulting to everyone else.

that said, for my own sanity on Bears day, i can't get into this Milton Bradley argument again. i just don't have it in me.

Perkins said:

I do recommend reading the comments after a lot of the trash articles people like Rogers and Sullivan and Rosenbloom write. They're a fair representation of the other side.

The bigger problem is that people like Kaplan and Sullivan and Stone and all of those charlatans have a voice and can influence how people view this game. These are people with petty grudges and baseless opinions who use their pulpits to propagate stupidity.

maybe we define "Cubs fans" differently. I don't count people who just go to the games. When I say "Cubs fans," I pretty much mean people like . . . well. . . us.

Perkins said:

Yeah I define it as people who go to games...pretty much anyone who spends any kind of money on the team, whether it's tickets or merchandise or whatever.

God, why would I want to do that? That's like reading the comment on DKos or The Grudge Report. All that's going to do is make me lose faith in humanity. The comments are where the crazies hang out.

:P

Perkins said:

Yeah, see I'm a misanthrope, so it's major confirmation bias for me. But that's what I'm talking about when I say Cubs fans.

Perkins said:

Thank you. I believe in God, but that doesn't preclude me from disliking most religious folks.

No--they're going to have to let him go because of where HE is in HIS head. He's a child. He behaves like a child. There's a fine line between being honest and shooting your mouth off about your persecution complex all the time.

Perkins said:

To be fair, it's only paranoia if people aren't actually out to get you.

check your FB email.

Response sent.

Hilariously stupid. First it was that we haven't one in a hundred years because of a combination of horrible baseball decisions and a fans for the last 20 years who care more about the ballpark than the team that plays there. NOW it's because this is a negative environment for players. What-FUCKING-ever. Let's not rewrite history, people.

And I highly doubt that any other free agents care what Milton Bradley says. I think he's as unliked around the league as he is by the fans. I haven't seen a single teammate, past or present, stick up for him this entire season, other than the "politically correct" quotes from the likes of DLee and Soriano. And now he's started throwing his teammates under the bus.

Yeah, he sounds like a great guy to be in the locker room with.

Perkins said:

To be fair, you could use that entire second paragraph about Mark DeRosa as well, except for the part about throwing his teammates under the bus. I agree that that was totally uncalled for and never justified.

And technically, the Cubs have only really been baseball inept since 1946. They were pretty damn good before then. I just think it's funny that MB is burning his bridges now that the writing is on the wall.

is derosa not getting along with the press/fans? i hadn't heard that. or did you mean about his being traded?

Perkins said:

I meant about his not necessarily getting along with his teammates. He's the type who never met a mic he didn't like, and from what I understand, players tend not to like those types. And he's been on 5 teams to MB's 7, so he's not exactly a model for sticking in one place.

Point taken.

millertime said:

"Not really," he said. "It's just not a positive environment. I need a stable, healthy, enjoyable environment. There's too many [Paul Sullivan] everywhere in your face with a microphone asking the same questions repeatedly. [Paul Sullivan] is just bashing you. You got out there and you play harder than anybody on the field and never get credit for it. It's just [Paul Sullivan].

"And you understand why they haven't won in 100 years here, because it's [Paul Sullivan]. [Paul Sullivan] is what it is."

Asked whether he was talking about the fans, the media or even the Cubs organization, he replied: "It's [Paul Sullivan]. It's [Paul Sullivan]."

millertime said:

So, instead of watching the Cubs, who look horrible with bad players like Scales and Fuld in the lineup, lets watch the Bears. Who look horrible with Cutler in the lineup. We haven't gotten to complain how Bears fans are assholes yet.

millertime said:

Did anyone watch Meet the Press this morning? I missed it.

I'll take that as a no.

Nope.

It was Obama, right?

millertime said:

I don't know. I didn't see it cause I was singing for church. It's the one political show I want to actually start watching.

millertime said:

K, I just checked the internets, and yes, President Obama was on. Drat. Maybe they replay it at the website.

baturkey said:

Obama will be on Letterman tomorrow.

millertime said:

Thanks. I'll make sure to tune in.

oh yes. . .and how WAS church? did you take all my advice?

millertime said:

I couldn't find my smokes. And that girl wasn't there. Next week I'll be more prepared.

she sounds like a total heathen.

millertime said:

Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!

Umbra said:

This makes me sad.

millertime said:

It makes me a saaaaad panda.

millertime said:

I just Googled "meet the press" and clicked on News. The first story? "Obama on NBC's "Meet the Press" not giving up on the White Sox for the World Series"

This guy has to go.

millertime said:

Packers D is the most opportunistic D ever. Woodson with the pick 6.

millertime said:

I got that Loon "What you say" song stuck in my head. Not the rap, just the autotune chorus part.

Umbra said:

I have the song "What'd I Say" in my head.

Bears thread? Or no?

millertime said:

If you put it up, they will post. Or at least I will.

baturkey said:

If I get the game, I'll post.