Chicago Cubs Headlines for Monday

Cigar Conneisseurs Gather To Smoke Handmade Cigars And Enjoy Premium Drinks
Anyone for a scotch?

I know everyone wants me to post about the excitement that last night's win generated, and how the Cubs are back in the race and most likely headed to the World Series. But first things first, a friendly reminder about Blogapalooza, It's happening this Thursday, September 24. You can meet any number of ChicagoNow bloggers, but, perhaps most importantly, you can meet our very own Cubbiejulie. She'll be at Mark Shale on Level 3 from 5 pm to 7pm.

What's most exciting about this event is the free scotch. What's second most exciting about this event is the chance to imbibe said scotch and finally let Cubbiejulie have it for running Milton Bradley out of town. Or, you can do it sober, if you like. Either way, there will be the scent of whiskey in the air, and someone reduced to tears. How could you want to miss out on that?
Rather than go directly from scotch to game recap, we'll take a detour through the exciting world of Milton Bradley mania. This diary, much like our racism podcast, should tie up all the lose ends and once-and-for-all send us on the path to harmony and enlightenment. You might be eager to know how this situation spiraled out of control so quickly, as I was. Well, more details are coming to light:

Bradley's downfall began when he pulled himself from Thursday's game with apparent knee soreness, one day after manager Lou Piniella pulled him after the third inning on a double switch. Bradley's angry postgame media session embarrassed the organization, and his tug of war the last few days with Piniella became untenable.

Bradley took himself out of Saturday's lineup, then refused to pinch-hit late in the game, leading to Joshua getting in his face. When Bradley complained to the Daily Herald about "negativity" surrounding the organization, Hendry finally pulled the plug.

Hendry mentioned the "issues we've all lived with during the year," referring to Bradley's publicized battles with umpires, fans and the Chicago media.

"The last few days became too much for me to tolerate," Hendry said. "I'm certainly not going to let our great fans become an excuse. I'm not going to tolerate not being able to answer questions from the media respectfully. Whether you feel like talking or not, it's part of all of our jobs.

"There's a right way to do it and a wrong way. I'm not going to allow disrespect to other people in that locker room and uniformed personnel, and I'm certainly not going to let a player, as was mentioned in the article today, (talk about) negativity of the organization."

You read the comments from players in last night's diary. I'll just toss one more into the mix:

"It's tough for a guy like me to understand," said outfielder Reed Johnson, whom Bradley once credited for keeping him focused to play. "I came from Toronto, and to come here, and just like fall in love with the city and fall in love with the organization. It's just hard for me to believe that you can come to this city and come to this organization and not enjoy your time here."

And we'll pile on with Lou:

"I read some of his comments," Piniella said. "I can tell you this, that I've been here three years and I feel blessed that I've been able to spend three wonderful years here in Chicago. What a great city. Wrigley Field, what a fun place to play. And our fans are second to none.

"Last year I don't know how many times I heard from the media that we had the best clubhouse in the league. Things don't change that rapidly in a year."

The Cubs are now undefeated during Milton's suspension, following Sunday night's 6-3 win over the Cards (maybe they should've tried this in April).  Last night's hero was none other than Indianapolis' own Jake Fox:

Jake Fox homered in the 11th inning and the Chicago Cubs benefited from a wide slide by Matt Holliday, beating St. Louis 6-3 Sunday night and keeping the Cardinals' magic number at four for clinching the NL Central.

In my opinion, the best part of the game was in the ninth, when the Cards thought they had another walk-off win, complete with fireworks.

The Cardinals loaded the bases with one out in the ninth, and Ryan Ludwick hit a potential double-play grounder. Shortstop Andres Blanco's relay was wide and Ludwick eluded the tag, letting the apparent winning run score and setting off fireworks over Busch Stadium.

But while several St. Louis players ran onto the field to celebrate, second base umpire Marty Foster said Holliday slid out of the basepath and ruled an inning-ending double play. Cardinals manager Tony La Russa came out to argue, and Foster showed him the dirt path where Holliday slid going after Blanco -- it was clearly too wide of the bag.

And finally, with Bradley gone, Lou gets his wish for a young prospect with some potential to come up for the home stretch:

Fresh from a strong finish and a playoff series for Class AA Tennessee, 2006 first-round draft pick Tyler Colvin will join the Cubs today in Milwaukee for his major-league debut and a two-week starting assignment.

Manager Lou Piniella said he hasn't determined where Colvin will play. The left-handed-hitting prospect played right field for Tennessee. Regardless, he'll have an audition that could be the first step in replacing Bradley.

summerguy said:

Holliday, that bastard, barely even slid... which should probably be illegal. He just ran at Blanco and was like 8 feet away from 2nd base.

i was suprised to see that from Holliday, in truth, but i guess the cards make everyone cheatsy, sooner or later.

sigh, this season just keeps getting better doesn't it

actually, i'm finally enjoying this season. once i let go of the post-season, i was able to seriously sit back and laugh at this team. and i haven't stopped laughing. and i'm actually loving it. winning just for the sake of winning is surpisingly satisfying, as is remembering that this is a game that's supposed to be fun.

I'm enjoying the baseball side, but this other stuff kind of takes away from it a bit

millertime said:

I like putting Aaron Miles into the game to see how low his batting average can get. Can it drop beneath .150? Lets find out.

maybe .150 can be named the Miles Line

millertime said:

Ha! I now have something to root for! Play Miles and bat him leadoff! Don't let the dream die!

millertime said:

On second thought, that might be a little generous. Maybe we start at .100, and work our way up from there? Or down, depending on how things go.

I'm not going to talk about Bradley (the situation is done, and that horse ain't gonna neigh anymore, no matter which way we beat it).

What I do want to say is that Ramirez's quotes in yesterday's thread reminded me once again that I am totally in love with him and want to have, like, 10,000 of his babies.

agree

well except for the 10,000 babies part

millertime said:

That's a shitload of babies!

no kidding...GD better get moving to achieve that goal.

Its from a movie...

i too love aramis. but i'm done having babies.

Max Power said:

I'm not sure how I respond to this one.

millertime said:

Throw a kickass party with free open bar, and invite everyone you know. With lots of balloons.

millertime said:

I am also done with The Milton Bradley Case, because I'm tired of trying to write longer things, and I just end up pissing people off who I don't want to piss off. Plus I get pissed myself. My final comments are that when getting rid of a player, not caring who replaces that player is what turns a team into the Pirates. There is no such thing as addition by subtraction. And people who use facts, reason, logic, what have you to back up their arguments have way more credibility in my book than people who don't. And trust me, my book is pretty fucking important to have credibility in.

I'm kinda annoyed that the team won't get a decent trade probably because of this

The team wouldn't have gotten a decent trade regardless...

They were all smart enough not to attempt to sign Bradley in the first place.

"is what turns a team into the Pirates."

lmao

also, and this is random, but I can't believe there hasn't been a single Anchorman line for a single of these Blogapalooza threads

millertime said:

Ugh, stupid artists and their non-stop sampling! I thought I liked What Did you Say by Loon, then I found out the song on the radio was Whatcha Say, and then I find out that the chorus part, the only part of the song I like, is just a sample from a song called Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap.

I'm so glad I wasn't dating in the 80s. Seriously.

Umbra said:

"I wear brightly colored socks. I'm an avid Cleveland Browns fan."

I can't believe that line didn't work!

what the hell is a "body designer?"

my favorite: "i'm not looking for some big, over-grown monster that's just worried about food all the time."

Umbra said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a body designer is an old wooden ship used during the Civil War.

Ed should be mining that thing for lines to use on the Church Lady.

Umbra said:

Ed does consider himself a refined Valley Dude.

does he like to have fun?

Umbra said:

Surprising as it may be, yes.

The guy who says, "Whoso binds to himself a joy doth its winged life destroy" is totally me, though. I quoted Walt Whitman at a party once. It did not work out.

What a great weekend...

Notre Dame won.
The Bears won.
The Packers lost.
And Milton Bradley is gone.

If Wisconsin would have lost Saturday, the weekend would have been just about perfect.

Umbra said:

Big Wofford fan, or do you get off on the suffering of others?

I just don't like the Big Ten.

and Patriots lost

AND Jessica Simpson successfully cursed Tony Romo for dumping her on her birthday.

Success all around.

except in my college pick'em, I'm not quite sure how I can be as bad at it as I am

Where can Milton go?

Ok...

So I have scientifically calculated where Milton will end up next season.

So there are 29 Major League teams other than the Cubs...

We eliminate the 6 franchises he has already played for because they remember all the good times:

Washington (is was Montreal back in the day)
Cleveland
L.A. Dodgers
Oakland
San Diego
Texas

Now we eliminate all racist cities:

Atlanta

Now we eliminate all teams who have a fan base that is an average age of about 80, since old people don't like him.

Florida
Tampa Bay
Arizona

Eliminate cities who have media that is worse than Chicago:

NY Yankees
NY Mets
Philly

Eliminate all teams outside of the US since they all hate black people:

Toronto

Now we eliminate teams with really smart GMs...because, well, they are smart:

Boston
St. Louis
Minnesota
LA Angels
Cincinnati (assuming they fire Dusty soon)

Eliminate teams in the mountains...since thin air makes Milton angrier:

Colorado

Just eliminate the rest of the NL Central teams because...well...they know:

Pittsburgh
Milwaukee
Houston

Eliminate Chicago:

White Sox

Now we get rid of the progressive cities from the mix

Seattle

Remove franchises that have had their fill of players complaining that everyone is out to get them:

San Francisco

So now we are down to the last few teams...

I remove Kansas City because Jim Hendry loves BBQ, and would never do something like dish off MB to a city that has good BBQ.

I remove Detroit because Mike Ilitch is a good guy who loves Detroit and would never hurt the city by bringing a guy like Bradley in.

That, my friends, leaves one, and only one team:

A team with a horrible owner. At team who's president is the man that hired Jim Hendry. A team that has a history of taking our crap.

That team,

Baltimore.

It's all scientific.

poor Baltimore, they just can't catch a break

This is probably the best thing you've ever posted. This should be a diary.

Thanks...I'm not much of a diary person.

That all being said, if Walt Jocketty doesn't fire Dusty Baker sooner or later, it throws a monkey wrench into this whole formula. Because the world just wouldn't make any sense at that point.

I think I should win some sort of award for picking the Bears over the Steelers by 3.

Um...how about a pair of Sam Fuld's pants. That's a good reward for such an accurate prediction.

eh.
i'm not as enamored with Fuld as everyone else. so he crashes into fences, big deal.

Isn't that one of your stated reasons as to why you like Reed Johnson?

I predicted they'd lose something like 27-2, so, I'm happy to have been wrong.

I think my prediction was 20-17 Bears.

summerguy said:

Ok... so MLBTRs just posted a discussion about who to swap bad contracts with Bradley. They came up with Oliver Perez, to which I say NAY... NAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I SAY!

That would be the stupidest possible thing we could do. I would never EVER take Perez on my team. If you get angry over walks, high pitch counts like I do, your head will explode when you watch him pitch. He is the anti-Maddux, hell he is the anti-control pitcher. I really think Bradley will have a good rebound year, even if it's not with the Cubs... and I think another team would think the same thing too.

Perez, on the other hand, has been given NUMEROUS opportunities to get his shit together and has not pitched effectively since... 2004, maybe 2007 if he hadn't been part of the Great Implode that is the Mets in 2007/2008.

I've heard Vernon Wells of the Blue Jays as a possibility...but honestly, I don't think the Blue Jays would take on Bradley unless the Cubs sent someone else (a top prospect?) along with him.

As for the Cubs on that deal...he bats right handed, which they don't need. He plays center field, and plays it poorly, which the Cubs don't need. He is often injured, which the Cubs don't need. He has a huge amount of money and time left on the contract, which the Cubs don't need. And he has been suck-tastic at the plate this year, which the Cubs seem to love to have, but don't need.

So I'm sure in the Cubs eyes, it sounds like a great deal. Not sure if the Blue Jays would pull the trigger on a trade like that.

If Wells could stay healthy, and find his stroke again, moving him to right field might actually work for the Cubs. But that is quite a risk when you are looking for the same thing to happen from Soriano and Soto next year.

millertime said:

We're not going to get anything for Bradley. Of all the times to try and trade a player, trying to trade him after he just had a downer year stat wise, has most of his contract left, and has a toxic public/locker room presence, the best we could get would be a journeyman prospect. A smart GM would realize that Hendry will have so much pressure to get rid of Bradley, and such a small market of teams that could actually be a good fit for Bradley, that Hendry won't have much leverage. At best this would be a move to try and dump some salary and appease fans.

When I say fit, I'm talking more in terms of the team that gets Bradley would be a team that can afford an above average salary, has an opening in the OF/DH, and is in a win-now mentality. Or at least is trying to bring in new talent to excite/stir up its fan base. The biggest thing that will bring Bradley's value is the perceived notion that the Cubs have no other option but to trade Jenga. His hostile attitude will factor into the decision, but it hasn't stopped teams from pursuing him in the past.

I'd say if the Cubs pick up enough salary, the Marlins would be a good fit. They could always use another bat, and Marlins fans don't exist, so Bradley wouldn't have much pressure to perform.

Ideally I'd like Hendry to realize that the smart move is to keep him, let him play out another year of his contract. Have some "heart to heart" anger management class or talk, and give MB a chance to have a rebound season next year. It'd be much easier to trade Bradley after next season if things don't work out, and in the meantime I think Bradley gives the Cubs a better chance of winning than any replacement does. Besides, if things don't work out, we'll always have Sam Fuld and Micah Hoffpauier to fall back on in RF. Also Bobby Scales.

millertime said:

Part of my reasoning relates to the Lemon law. When you buy a new car, immediately after taking it off the Lot the car plummets in value. If you tried to sell the car the day after you bought it, you would get nowhere close to what you just paid. This is because most buyers would be suspicious, thinking that something must be wrong with the car. There would be a better return for the value of the car 1 year after buying the car. Because maybe this is the type of Car that always comes out on top, no matter what other cars and auto mechanics have to say about it.

my PsyD friend is confident he has a mood disorder and narcissistic personality disorder. I'm not sure anger management is going to do it.

millertime said:

If I would give him some money out of my wallet, would that ease the pain?

summerguy said:

Poop, poop mouth! Get all that poop out of yourf mouth! I HATE YOU MILTON BRADLEY, I hate you!

Dmband said:

I think what has gone unrecognized, was the fact that Hendry made yet another bad move. As Paul Sullivan pointed out, if they would have put him on the DL for his knee (which they would have been within thier rights to do so) they could have had a 2 million dollar buyout in year 3...instead he suspends him and they are on the hook for the full pop! ARE YOU KIDDING ME HENDRY!!!!!!!! The new owner has to axe him just for that move...

Unless I am missing something there....?

summerguy said:

You are mostly correct... it is a completely insane move. They should have put him on the DL. However, the buyout only takes effect if he is on the DL at the end of this year and still on the DL on April 15th.

millertime said:

I believe that for there to be the buyout option, Bradley needs to be inactive as of 4/15/2010. Check out this link

You can search for Milton Bradley, it shows his contract fairly well. Otherwise here is the part I'm looking at:

# 2011 may become $12M club option with $2M buyout if:

* Bradley has more than 75 days on DL in 2009, or
* Bradley is on DL at end of 2009 season with specific injury and not on active roster by 4/15/2010

looks to me like that knee injury is really severe.

And I know...I'm a doctor.

DL that guy.

Damn....I just checked out that MLBContracts website...

Great site.

Dmband said:

By the way Doc your breakdown of potential Bradley destinations was top shelf...

Nice work on that.

Thanks...

It took many months to compile all the information and using the best minds in the game (me) and some complex calculus. I only joked about Baltimore before, but now we have the proof.

I just wonder who Baltimore will give us in return. More research is required I think.

Felix Pie.

And Rich Hill...we have to have Rich Hill back...right?

Speaking of Felix...he has actually had a fairly respectable second half of the season. I think his numbers have dipped a bit this month, but I know his July was not too bad and he had a really good August. Maybe the kid can actually turn things around?

So there's a guy visiting my office that appears to have mold growing on his face.

He must have been sitting in the refrigerator too long.

millertime said:

He'd better avoid the death panels. Or else his ass is grass.

Dmband said:

Millertime-

So if Im reading that correctly (and the specific injury was in fact that knee), if the DL'd him now, and traded him in the offseason (as I understand its inactive on the CUBS roster, but im not positive on that), the buyout can be executed...

millertime said:

I don't think so. The Cubs wouldn't have his contract, so I don't think they could "buy it out". I'm pretty sure after a team trades a contract, they lose all rights to any options in said contract. If he was inactive on another team's roster, that team might find a way to use the option. But I am also not positive on how contract law applies here. Maybe it wouldn't work because Bradley wouldn't be on the inactive list for the Cubs, since he wouldn't be on the Cubs? I'm not the lawyer, I'm the account. Maybe the Cubs could use double declining balance depreciation on Bradley instead of Straight Line?

millertime said:

As far as the Trib's piece about Bradley being the worst FA signing in Chicago History, here are some others:

1. Kevin Gregg.
2. Aaron Miles
3. Brandon Lloyd
4. Rick Mier
5. Adam Archuleta
6. Kordell Stewart
7. That Chad guy that sucked at QB
8. Scott Eyre
9. Paul Sullivan
10. The Chicago White Sox

Antonio Alfonseca

I'm sorry, but as far as the Cubs are concerned, the worst FA signing ever was that Julie has mentioned a few times, Todd Hundley. Without a doubt.

And, man, I was routing for him every step of the way too since I had met Randy Hundley on several occations out in Palatine where I grew up (his offices were in a build where my father did a lot of business). I was never more disappointed in a Cub.

millertime said:

I wonder if Draft picks count?

1. Cade
2. David Terrell. I was really rooting for him.
3. Curtis Enis
4. Rashon Sallaam.
5. That one defensive End from Penn
6. Benson
7. Grossman was a good pick, I'm not gonna go there, haters.

It's too easy looking at all the bad moves the bears have gone with in the draft.

Other huge Cubs FA busts in my lifetime...

Danny Jackson,
George Bell,
Benito Santiago,
Jeff Blauser

I was hoping to add Goose Gossage to that list...but the Cubs actually acquired him in a trade before the 1988 season I guess.

Right. I figured he wasn't on the list because he wasn't a FA signing?

That's the ONLY way he doesn't make that list.

No, he was.

From baseball-reference.com: December 19, 2000: Signed as a Free Agent with the Chicago Cubs.

4 years, $24 million (which was rather big money 9 years ago)

Rick Mirer! God, that one still makes a vein over my eye throb.

millertime said:

He wasn't even good in the videogames. Idiots.

Also, it is hard to compare with football, since their contracts don't contain 100% guaranteed money like baseball.

Also, Paul Sullivan should be significantly higher on that list.

I just want some confirmation on this...

Bradley does NOT have a no-trade clause in his contract.

Right?

Because Hendry tends to give out no-trade clauses like candy on Halloween. So, I just want to make sure that is indeed the case.

Because I would hate for Hendry to spend all off-season trying to get Baltimore to take Bradley and he finally reaches a deal with them, and then Milty decides to invoke his no-trade clause and we get completely screwed because Hendry wasn't able to make any other moves in the offseason because he was so focused on makeing this trade.

Holy crap, I just typed that out, and it was all one incomplete sentence.

Dmband said:

Well, then I guess the other thing they could have considered would have been if it would have been cheaper to actually keep him, and buyout (that would total roughly 12 mil) vs. whatever they are going to have to eat...

I dunno, Im just trying to figure out a way to screw Bradley.

Dmband said:

As usual you guys are ahead of the curve. The discussion going on right now on sports radio is if Bradley was the worst sigining in team history, and they had a good take on it...He is in fact the worst, because of the jerk factor. The other players referenced may have been bad as players, but not only did Bradley not produce (you could make a case he wasnt terrible) but he was also a huge a-hole.

Honestly, Bradley's production wasn't too far below his career production. So, really, any one who actually paid attention, would have realized he really wasn't the player we needed to sign this offseason.

He produced a bit less then should have been expected.

Bradley's downfall was the jerk factor.

A player like Hundley, while he didn't blame everyone else all the time, didn't really didn't place the blame on himself too much either. And Hundley's production, for being, for a few years before that, was one of the best offensive catchers in baseball history. His output in Chicago was horrendous (below the Mendoza line in over 500 ABs as a Cub, RBI totals that were just disgusting and so on). On top of that, he was a joke defensively. He made Bradley and Soriano look like gold-glovers. And the other thing about that signing...most of the indications where their that Hundley was never going to full recover from the injuries he had over the previous few seasons. Cubs management really let too many sentimental emotions get in the way when making the offer to Hundley. Four years to Hundley. FOUR year contract? For someone that had far less than a career year previous to that in LA...only playing in a little over half the game that season.

The only thing, in the end, that was positive about Hundley was that he was trade-able. Unfortunately, Bradley, even though is more productive than Hundley was, is likely going to be much more difficult to trade.

millertime said:

I totally understand the reasoning behind that argument. One of the reasons I didn't like the Jim Edmounds signing last season was that I thought he was kind of a jerk. That and the fact that he seemed to suck at baseball. Anyways, I sometimes feel that people get too caught up in the times, certain things get exaggerated, and people end up making mountains out of molehills. Milton Bradley is the flavor of the week, so of course people are going to label him "worst move ever". I just happen to evaluate moves by GMs differently.

When deciding whether a deal is "good" or "bad", I find it useless to look at the results of the deal, since at the time the deal was signed, it was uncertain what kind of numbers Bradley would produce this season. In fact, all sports contracts deal with uncertainty. GMs have no idea what kind of numbers a player will put up, all they can do is make educated guess based on the data available to them at the time, namely age of player, and past performance. These factors help determine a player's potential, and how much the player will get on the market. Contracts are more like investments base on anticipated future results.

If the Cubs had signed Nolan Ryan to a $20 mil a year deal, and he struck out 300 batters this year, that doesn't make it a good deal. It means Hendry got amazingly lucky.

If the Cubs had signed Pujols to a 3 year, 5 Mil deal, and Pujols hit .200, Hendry would have gotten unlucky. I believe that the expectations for Bradley were fair, and that the deal he got reflected that. Not many people expected Bradley to do this poorly, or have this kind of trouble in Chicago. Those who did seldom had realistic arguments other than the fact that they always think a certain move won't work out. I think Umbra called this Doomsday Syndrome, where people are more inclined to predict negative things, because when the negative things come true they get the satisfaction of being right, and when the negative things don't happen nobody ends up caring. I do recognize that there was always the possibility of Milton not fitting in with this team, as Doc and Julie have pointed out to me many times. I think they had legitimate concerns, I would only dispute the level of certainty in Milton Bradley having problems.

Sorry if my aruments get long winded and end up not making sense, studying for the CPA exam really starts to fry my brain this time of day. I guess my simple answer would be that moves like Gregg and Miles are way dumber than the Bradley move, which I think was actually a good move at the time.

Umbra said:

This is what gets me about Milton Bradley: people feared and predicted this kind of breakdown since the day he was signed. We had long discussions about how his numbers might be ok, but his attitude is terrible, and isn't there some sort of tradeoff.

And then he sucked for like 2 months and has done pretty well ever since. But it's not really about how well he's played. If he had been more consistently mediocre- if he'd played average for 5 months instead of bad for 2, pretty good for 3- maybe there wouldn't have been much opportunity for this ball to get rolling.

But get rolling it did. It stopped being about just performance. It started being about the Umps being out to get him. It started being about him losing his cool and getting ejected and suspended. It started being about how he only talked to Carrie Muskat. It started being about how he didn't think DLee was the kind of guy he could confide in. It started being about how he heard racist comments. Then he threw a ball into the stands. Then he didn't wave at people when he was supposed to, and he made other hand gestures when he wasn't. And now he's been suspended. It is the frigging definition of self-fulfilling prophecy.

And here's the latest layer of irony and self-fulfilling prophecy. He criticized the Cubs organization, saying he understands why they haven't won in 100 years. Because he said that, he has been suspended and will probably be traded for very little in return. And because of that, the Cubs will end up paying him to play well someplace else, and will not win next year either, becoming the exact caricature of a losing organization that Milton Bradley criticized.

It's like if a guy was super-annoying and screaming that you were going to punch him in the face, and you finally got so fed up with the baseless rumor and drama that you punched him in the face. Does he deserve it? Yes. Did he bring him on himself? Mostly. But now you feel like a jerk because he predicted it from the start and now gets the satisfaction of being right.

Dmband said:

Thats a great point about Hundley's deal. It probably has a lot to do with the expectations that came with this now infamous 09' team. Plus it obviously more recent, hence the haste to call it the 'worst ever'. But you're right...not only 4 years to Hundley, but 4 years to any catcher with a history of injury is just bad...real bad.

And a catcher who was 32 years old at the time. Hundley had a ton of miles on him by the time he called Wrigley home. He was a very old 32. And was out of baseball by 34.

That's about 96 in catcher years.

Umbra said:

But the Cubs traded him for Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek! Do you think the players the Cubs get for Milton Bradley will be as good as Eric Karros or Mark Grudzielanek?