Saturday Brunch Headlines

Cubs vs. Mets

First, an announcement. One day after announcing LOHO's first ever "Very Special Podcast," I realized that I'd completely forgotten that the Bears were on primetime Sunday night. Clearly, the Bears > race relations in Chicago, so we've moved the podcast to Monday evening at 8:00 pm CT. Hope to see everyone there.

The big news this morning is that we won a game!!!

OK, OK, so the 5-2 victory was against the lowly Mets, which makes the Cubs the least objectionable of the two most disappointing and overpaid teams in baseball.

But Bradley and Soriano -- who may not play Saturday because of continued left knee pain -- needed some redemption to placate local fans, no matter the circumstances.

"I was elated," Bradley said of his towel-waving celebration. "I don't get happy for myself. I might do something, but you don't ever see me smile about it. But when other guys do something, I get happy. ... [Soriano] going out and playing on one leg, to come up big like that, I couldn't be happier."

Neither could Soriano, who hadn't hit a homer since July 29.

"I feel great because it has been a long time since I hit one," he said. "I felt good at that moment because it was a tie game and I hit the homer to win, especially because the team needed a win."

So hooray for redemption and fraternity and all that good rot. For one brief, shining moment yesterday, it was fun to be a Cubs fan again.

Alas, Fonzie's moment in the sun was not to last. He's scheduled to have an MRI on his knee on Monday.

Excited for September call-ups? Lou says, "Don't be."

Look ahead: When rosters expand Tuesday, don't look for any surprise names or future phenoms to appear.

Piniella said he expects seven or eight players to join the team, although some of them could wait until after Triple-A Iowa's playoffs are over.

"The people we call up are [players] who have been here before," he said.

Most likely to return are position players such as Micah Hoffpaiur, Andres Blanco and Bobby Scales and pitchers David Patton, Justin Berg and Esmailin Caridad.

Outfielder Reed Johnson also could return from a broken foot, but probably not until he gets some minor league at-bats.

So that's exciting.

The Sun-Times gives us the run-down on the Rich Harden situation:

For now, right-hander Rich Harden is planning on his next start being Monday against the Houston Astros -- the day of the deadline for the Cubs to decide if they'll trade him.

Harden and reliever Aaron Heilman are among several Cubs who have been claimed off waivers by unnamed contending teams, though if general manager Jim Hendry chooses to act upon any claims, the two pitchers are the most likely to be dealt.

The waiver and claim process is routinely done on all players as a procedural move after the trade process after July 31. It's supposed to be private, and often a player never knows he has been involved if his team chooses not to act on a claim.

But with the Cubs' playoff hopes dwindling, Harden or Heilman could bring prospects and players for the future should Hendry and the two unnamed teams reach an agreement. If no deals are struck by Monday, Hendry could pull the players back or allow them to go without compensation, as the Toronto Blue Jays did with outfielder Alex Rios, preferring to shed the hefty remainder of his contract when he was claimed by the White Sox.

The Cubs aren't in that situation, especially with Harden, a free agent after this season. If he doesn't re-sign with the team after this season, the Cubs would get draft picks as compensation from the team signing him. But a trade now would give Hendry the chance to negotiate a deal.

3:10 game on FOX today, kids. And for all you footy fans, Arsenal and Man U play at 11:15 on FSC. Wooooo!

secdelahc said:

Hmmm... Game on Fox? Do I set up my new tv in the hopes that I get coverage, or do I just be lazy and not do it? This is the ultimate question.

secdelahc said:

Wait-- Harden was claimed on waivers? Does anyone think he'll actually be moved? Or have we discussed this on a previous thread that I'm too lazy to look up?

I hate to say it, but it would probably be in our best interests to move him now. He's asking for 4/12, and that's way too much to pay for a pitcher as fragile as he is, as much as I really, really want him to stay. :(

secdelahc said:

yeah, from a baseball standpoint it makes sense. But the cubs will need to get some more hot men on the team to make up for the loss.

secdelahc said:

Apparently, there's no need for the TV to be set up. I get Tampa Bay at Detroit. Boo!!!

Carrie Muskat Tweets: Zambrano just interrupted fan BP session by taking six swings; he hit the fifth ball into the left field bleachers.

thisyearcub said:

Z=awesome. I hope his comments the other day about leaving were tongue-in-cheek, b/c Cubs and their fans will not like him on another team.

He says that every year. I'm not worried.

Ed Nickow said:

Arrggghhh ...

When will Cubs management grow a pair? First they let Soriano say no to an MRI and continue playing until his bum knee almost cost us yesterday's game. As I've said before, and repeatedly ... LET SAM FULD PLAY! Really, the season's pretty much over - STL is not going to collapse like the '69 Cubs - so let's make it fun to watch Cubs baseball.

Now they can't keep Big Z from the batting cages?

I can't believe I'm quoting Nancy Reagan, but it's really time for Cubs management to just say, "NO!"

I agree that these are the kinds of things that make Z fun and loveable. At the same time, I'd rather have a less-loveable pitcher with an un-injured back.

Hooray for days that feel like fall, free white chocolate-covered pretzel sticks and empty coffeehouses where I can get some work done!

Um . . . who brings a deep dish pizza to Caribou?????

millertime said:

I have a hot trade rumor. Cubs got a chance to trade MB for a 27 year old OF. This outfielder has an OPS of .722, but it's higher than his career OPS of .684. So he's on his way up. He has 64 AB's at the big league level. He has torn up the AAA league this year with an OPS of .773. This guy is making only 250,000. He makes a lot of plays in the field. And he is not a headcase.

Any takers?

i'm not playing. this is a trick.

millertime said:

You are too smart.

so. . . this is who?

Fuld?
Milty in another form?

Ed Nickow said:

I cheated and looked it up after seeing Julie's guess.

It is Sam Fuld. The stats cited above provide another reason why Lou should take my advise and let Sammy play.

But some people might say that with all that running into walls, he is a headcase (in a manner of speaking).

millertime said:

"The stats cited above proved another reason why Lou should take my advise and let Sammy play."

So, just trying to be clear, we should start a guy who is doing worse than Bradley? A guy who has never come close anywhere in his career to approaching the numbers Bradley has put up?

millertime said:

Anyone want to guess what Milton is OPSing this year at home?

...

...

.963.

I don't think anyone thinks he's a poor ballplayer, Ed. He didn't play well the first half, and by the time that was over, he had completely alientated half the fans with his comments to the media. This situation he's found himself in is a combination of a lot of factors that have created the perfect storm for him this season.

millertime said:

Well, I'm going to the Dells for a bachelor party, so I thankfully won't have to listen to Fox Sports. I wonder what they'll talk about during this game?

I hope we get Karros again. He loves Cubs fans. He'll give Milty the what-for.

Ed Nickow said:

And that's the only reason you want Karros?

I think we all know that it's not.