Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

Phillies-Cubs
"Maybe if I just stare down, no one will notice I'm here"

In case you hadn't noticed, things aren't going so swimmingly for our Cubs these days. Even rah-rah nincompoops like myself have started to become a bit disgruntled. But that's what will happen when you leave work and are immediately subjected to 8-run innings by the Phillies. Bruce Miles ties all the suckitude together in a few paragraphs:

Already ahead 4-1, the defending world champions put up an 8-spot against starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija and reliever Sean Marshall in the fourth, bring down boos from the 41,133 in attendance.

"It just one of those days; sometimes you get kicked," said Samardzija, who lasted 31/3 innings in his first major-league start. "Today, we got kicked."

The Cubs have lost the first two games of this series after dropping two of three in Philadelphia last month. The loss was the sixth in seven games for the Cubs (58-54), who fell 4 games behind the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Central.

Since July 20, the Cubs are 3-9 against teams who now have winning records. Overall, they're 19-32 against clubs above .500.

One bright spot last night was Carlos Marmol, who managed not to walk three men and hit a batter for the second night in a row. Before the game, Lou said he'd keep using him, in an effort to get him "straightened out":

Manager Lou Piniella didn't exactly give Carlos Marmol a vote of confidence before Wednesday night's game, but he did say he would "continue to use him."

But Piniella said he also would use left-hander John Grabow and right-hander Angel Guzman in late-inning situations, so whether Marmol will remain the setup man on a full-time basis remains unknown.

"What we need to do is get Marmol straightened out," Piniella said. "That's it."

And Marmol says he hears the boos, but doesn't sound bitter about it:

"I hear that, but what am I going to do?" Marmol said. "Throw my glove or something? I'll get 'em next time. Today is a different day. We'll see. You know how the fans are in Chicago. That's why we love 'em."

First reported here by doc_blume, the Milton Bradley discusses the alleged middle finger incident from Tuesday night:

Milton Bradley laughed off rumors from a local sports-talk radio show on Wednesday that featured a couple of callers who claimed he had given a single-finger salute to fans in the right-field bleachers during the game Tuesday night.

"Yeah, and I was knocking down old ladies too," Bradley said.

So that's a "no?"

"I'm not going to even entertain it," he replied.

Some fans in the bleachers who attended the game said Bradley was giving hand gestures behind his back indicating the number of outs.

Interestingly, Bradley had said after the game that coming home Monday night was "the first time all year I was glad to be coming back to Chicago."

There's good news concerning Ted Lilly, and bad news concerning Reed Johnson:

Rehabbing left-hander Ted Lilly threw five innings of shutout ball, allowing two hits and a walk, for Class A Peoria in a tuneup for his anticipated return to the rotation Monday in San Diego. He struck out two.

• • Center fielder Reed Johnson's fractured left foot is progressing slower than anticipated, and the Cubs don't expect him to return from the DL until sometime during the next homestand in two weeks. He injured the foot when he fouled a ball off it July 29 against Houston.

And Lou likes the instant replay system, at least for now:

''I like the system because they've both been our way,'' manager Lou Piniella said. ''It's a great system.''

When told Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire has proposed a one-challenge-per-game system like the NFL, complete with the red flag, Piniella said, ''I would have to get my arm in shape to throw that thing out. I'd be throwing batting practice.''

Finally, please check out Ed Nickow's post over at  our ChicagoNow sister site, Sports in Haiku, where he discusses the jerkface who attempted to make Cubs fans look like idiots last night.

thisyearcub said:

Cubs fans have been showing their idiocy all year long, and last night was the topper. Flat-out embarrassing.

So that thing I've been saying all season, about this team sucking? It isn't too early for ya'll to start acknowledging that I've been right all along.

Yabbut you say that every year. Most of the time we just ignore you.

Yeah but I'm always right, no?

thisyearcub said:

Also, I'm glad to see there are some actual good bleacher fans who came out and told the truth about Bradley, putting that rumor to rest. Although I think it would have still been justified if he was flipping them off.

Ah yes, poor Milton. Always the victim. We don't take into account, of course, that Milton has managed to find something to bitch about absolutely every place he's played. Meanwhile, plenty of other players, of all races, have been happy to play in Chicago.

He needs to go back to not talking.

thisyearcub said:

I don't even know where to start here. Sullivan ASKED him a question. He clarified it. There was a rumor that he was flipping off fans. He denied it, and Sullivan got the true story from bleacher fans.

That's not being a victim, that's just clarification of the truth.

I was responding more to the comment that he's justified in flipping off the fans. And he didn't clarify it, he said "I'm not going to even entertain it." That's not an answer. If I was in court, I'd ask that his comment be stricken from the record as non-responsive.

Why can't he just say "of course i didn't--that's silly" like anyone else would and move on?

thisyearcub said:

If it was what I heard in Washington, then yes, justified. That's why I was asking about it yesterday. But the fact of the matter was that someone saw something and ran with it, creating a non-story that he had to talk about. That's probably why he said he wasn't going to entertain it.

i'm not sure it's a non-story. there are still a lot of fans out there that will insist that he DID flip them off.

i don't think that we can assume that bradley is hearing racial taunts on a nightly basis and just being stoic about it. i have to believe, if that was the case, he'd be talking about it. rather, i think he hears the same kind of things every other OFer who's not popular with the fans does.

it sucks that you heard it in washington. that doesn't mean it's happening here or that it's happening repeatedly.

thisyearcub said:

Well, he wasn't flipping them off, so therein ends the story.

so says he.

i don't know if he did or if he didn't, but i don't think that he's inherently more credible than the fans who said they saw it. this is what i mean about assuming that all cub fans suck. maybe they're perfectly reliable people who know what they saw.

thisyearcub said:

I'm going to take his word and the ones of fans who sought out Sullivan to tell them the truth over a couple people calling into The Score.

supposedly, people confused him counting outs with flipping the bird.

I didn't know you used the middle finger to count outs, though. (JK)

As I said before, if this did happen, I don't think is was anything all that malicious. Some poor judgement maybe.

If this really was a negative intent, the media would have been all over this yesterday. Besides if Milton was getting into it with the fans, I don't think there would be two such different sides of this story being told.

Milton was not angry Tuesday. Honestly, if he was, he probably would have climbed the vines and started beating the crap out of some of the fans...and then injure his knee in the process.

thisyearcub said:

I'm all for this. If anyone knows the identity of this fucking dumbass, please post his name, facebook, whatevs. This guy deserves everything he has coming to him for making Cubs fans look like complete d-bags.

My god, could you imagine a douchier looking douche?

It is truly amazing how 2 weeks ago I was so positive about this team...and everyone was happy and things were going so well...

And now everything just sucks. The team, the coaches, the fans...everything. Isn't about time that some big chunks of concrete start falling down from the upper deck?

He's got the national douchebag moniker: the chinstrap beard.

god, i hate that thing.

thisyearcub said:

Only if he had an Ed Hardy shirt and the Kanye shades ... but yeah, pretty douche.

That game was brutal--even before the stupid beer-thrower.

Blah. I don't have anything else to say.

links not working for me

Ed Nickow said:

Thanks for mentioning my blog post about the beer thrower.

A couple of people have commented there claiming that we've fingered the wrong guy. But I am certain we've got the culprit.

The same conclusion has been reached by others, including the blog linked by thisyearcub (Matt? - I still don't know the names of all the LOHO regulars).

But I can't find a good capture of the WGN broadcast video online. They had a much closer shot of the guy and it was perfectly clear what happened.

The police should be releasing their photo later today (I'm assuming it will some version of the picture I found) and I suppose I can try to get the video from my DVR to You Tube tonight. But it would be great to have a link to a better video sometime today. The only one I found is too choppy to be useful.

Can anyone help me find something besides the ESPN video that's on You Tube? WGN had a clear shot of the jackass tossing his beer and sitting down.

Ed Nickow said:

Never mind.

Rich Beckman has saved the day. His comment at Chicago Sports In Haiku has a link to great video providing conclusive proof that we've identified the right guy.

Ha! You were so right.

It's kind of funny to watch the other guy protesting that it wasn't him.

I can look--but that's going to be hard to find. Let's put out a call for anyone who DVRed the game last night. MLB never shows fun videos like that anymore, which really sucks. I couldn't even watch the Youkilis/Porcello fight.

summerguy said:

They posted it on the Red Sox.com, if you go to the gameday wrapup they post videos from the game and that one was on there.

thisyearcub said:

Go to ESPN, they have the fight as well.

summerguy said:

If you go to cubs.com... and go to the gameday for the game yesterday, they have clips from the game and it had that one on there.

I'm getting very tired of all the Cub-fan bashing by other Cubs fans. Cub fans are much like all other baseball fans. There are great fans who know a ton about baseball and there are tools like the beer-thrower. It's the same all over.

thisyearcub said:

And that one sullys the name of all the good fans. It's only 10 a.m., and I've already gotten numerous emails/texts about last night, which was totally unacceptable. And I can't say anything about it. I guess the silver lining is it's not as bad as what happened to Tom Gamboa though.

I'm not trying to be up on a pedestal or anything, it just really ticks me off. Seriously, it's pretty bad when you have to apologize to Philadelphia fans.

why are you apologizing for something you didn't to, to someone who wasn't the one harmed?

thisyearcub said:

I'm not, Piniella and Hendry did. Read above.

Sorry, I read that all wrong (My eyes went from "I received calls" to the bit about apologizing)

It ticks all of us off. But I'm getting tired of certain people (not you) acting like they're the only Cubs fans around who don't totally suck. A lot of players want to come here BECAUSE of the fans. People need to remember that.

Jeez--when someone whips a battery at a player in Philly, do you think the entire blog/Twitter community tries to find out who they are and out the guy? Everyone is ticked off. That's because most Cubs fans are GREAT fans.

thisyearcub said:

Yeah, but that's always hearsay. The Cubs fan did it on national TV, that's the difference. Everyone's all over it.

Maim said:

It's like how people walk their dog and don't pick up the shit. Then when I walk MY dog by the same yard, fully intending to pick up the shit, I get dirty looks because of the previous person being an asshole.

Okay, it's not the same thing, but both scenarios do involve shit.

Why can't I save my madmen me? It just won't save.

#%$*@#$@%@#!@#@#$

And this is why I don't own a dog.

Also, because I'd probably forget I had a dog and realize a few days later, "fuck, dogs need food, don't they?"

Maim said:

Take a screen shot of it and then crop it in Photoshop or some such program.

that seems like a lot of work.

cool...I think my dog will have to be replaced now.

i just don't understand why mine won't save.

I tend to be very calm (or at least civil) when I'm at the ballpark...and I'd like to see other people act the same way when they are at the game. I only get pissed and throw beer around when I'm at home...Jeanna doesn't like having to clean up everything, but Saffron and the dogs think it's funny.

All seriousness here, the Cub fans are no worse in their behavior than other large market team fans with the exception of LA fans (who just don't care)...just go to one Met game.

On the other hand, there has been a big shift of the type of people who sit in the bleachers now. It's hard to describe the folk who had sat out their in the past...but right now a significant number of the fans in the bleachers pretty much consist of spoiled suburban kids in their early 20's who really don't know how to behave and are still stoked about the fact they can legally buy alcohol (or are illegally buying alcohol because their stupid parents gave them money to buy a fake ID). And I think the bleacher crowd is even more tilted toward that demographic I described during night games (like last night).

Ok...enough ranting. For the most part, Cub fans are good though.

Amen.

Well...since baseball sucks for me right now...

I'm going to focus on the PGA Championship now.

Has it already started?

Dear Hollywood, please keep makin lots of movies with Bradley Cooper in them.

Love, Julie

millertime said:

I think everyone is missing the real big story, Milton Bradley has finally admitted to assaulting old women. Why is Paul Sullivan not all over this?

thisyearcub said:

He's just thinking of the right lies to include.

So one of the Trib headlines today is 'Phillies Ruin Spellcheck's Debut."

I think it should read "Spellcheck Ruins Julie's Rooftop Debut."

thisyearcub said:

Or "Spellcheck Ruins Spellcheck's Future"

Seriously, is that the worst contract given to a Cubs rookie ever?

Does it actually say Spellcheck?

obviously not. but i refuse to learn how to spell his name.

It is simple: Smardszjrial;

OMG--all these anti-healthcare people are scaring the crap out of me. How did America get so stupid?

This has been on my mind a lot lately, too.

Most of these morons can't even form complete sentences.

The thing that scares me the most is the mob mentality of it. On both sides, they get up and scream "blah blah blah, constitution!" or "blah blah blah, socialism!" or whatever, and the entire crowd gets on its feel and screams and jeers, without ever listening or trying to understand what the fuck they are talking about.

I just watched some poor congressman get shouted down at a town meeting. He was trying to make his point and some old lady was screaming at him about death panels and forced euthanasia. How do you even respond to people like that?

The Dems need to stop this Town Hall horseshit, regroup here in DC, draft a partisan bill, and force it through via reconciliation.

And if Byrd wants to stand in the way of using reconciliation, just wait. He'll be dead soon anyway.

jtbwriter said:

Morning from decently cool (for the moment) So Cal..

Julie-it would be so much easier to ignore old trash like that-but many of these "so-called Christians" are recruited by Insurance lobby trolls and talk shows that still look for Commies under the bed. I personally would put up posters of the worst of these old crones with their phone numbers and let people make their lives miserable, but that would just make me feel better, not solve the problem. Sigh. End of rant.
On the bright side....Sutcliffe earned my vote for new pitching coach of the Cubs with his nailing of Spellcheck's hide for inexperience, in backing up home yesterday. He also correctly said he needs to go to Iowa then be brought up next year when he's got more experience.
Of course this is the same Sutcliffe who destroyed Tommy Lasorda's office when he got left off a playoff roster-but he's mellowed. LOL! He'd whip the Cubs bullpen into shape!

You know what's really scary? The comments on Sarah Palin's wall:

But my favorite is this:
"Thanks for having the courage to give us something to laugh at everyday."

Justin Berg called up from Iowa to get a fresh arm in the pen. I think we all know what the corresponding move is going to be.

the murder of Spellcheck?

SIX FEET DEEP.

Dmband said:

Just saw the pic of that douche. Couple observations that have been really upsetting. As Cub fans we have to be sure that we do not support the following:

1)as mentioned above, the chin strap beard
2)White guy with a hat titled to the side
3)V neck t shirts
4) a arm band. (did you guys see that?!?!) If you are not playing in any sporting event, you are not allowed to wear a sweat band on your arm

God. What a complete douche.

even if you ARE playing sports, what good is an arm band?

millertime said:

your a chick, you don't get sportz.

supergrover said:

im offended.

Dmband said:

Good point. If you have excessive sweat cascading down your arms? You should probably seek medical attention.

thisyearcub said:

RIP Les Paul. One of the greats.

millertime said:

If everyone would just take forget me now's after the game like I do, this season wouldn't seem to terrible. Also, send down Samardzija. He has some potential, but he needs to work things out. The headline should have been "Samardzija pitches exactly how everyone in the world thought he would pitch".

Shady said:

Hey Julie, I saw you submitted a question on 'Wale Ogunleye's new blog. Guess who else fought for the glory of old IU? That's right, intramural softball champion right here.

Awesome. You're talking to the QB of the intramural powder puff football champ. :)

Dmband said:

I blame the cubs for convincing Spellcheck he was a starter. He is not. He should be a power reliever and yes, send him down to work on his TWO pitches. Not the four that he believes he has.

supergrover said:

throwing beer was just plain wrong.I heard the guy who did it ran as security grabbed the wrong guy.