Cubs Headlines For Tuesday: People We Hate As Much As Kevin Gregg

Chicago Cubs vs. Chicago White Sox

Good God, where do I even start?

In case you missed the game last night, let's recap:

After Kevin Gregg gave up four two-out runs in the ninth inning in a 4-1 loss to the Padres on Monday night, Piniella said he plans on removing Gregg from the closer's role.

"I think we're going to make some changes as far as what we're going to do in late innings," Piniella said. "We'll have some more tomorrow."

Piniella didn't say who would be his new closer, though Carlos Marmol and Angel Guzman are considered the likeliest candidates.

Gregg blew his sixth save of the year and third in August, giving up a tying double to Chase Headley, and, after an intentional walk, a three-run homer to Kyle Banks. It was about as tough a loss as the Cubs have suffered.

After the game, the vitriol against Gregg was flowing so heavily, "ihatekevingregg" was actually a trending topic on Twitter. Lost in all this despair, of course, is that fact that Gregg was, last year, demoted as closer by Florida for THE EXACT SAME THING (i.e., sucking at closing).

But, not to be deterred, Groggles brings to mind the words of the late, great Ricky Nelson, who once sang, "ya can't please everyone, so ya've got to please yourself."

"It's just making stupid mistakes," Gregg said. "Seeing something in a hitter and not executing it when you see it. Knowing a game plan you have for a hitter, and not doing it. That's basically it."

Gregg issued a one-out walk to David Eckstein before getting the dangerous Adrian Gonzalez on a pop to left. At that point, he was feeling pretty good.

"Of course," he said. "Two outs, you're right there. You're one pitch away from getting out of that inning."

After falling behind to Chase Headley, Gregg gave up the game-tying double into the gap in left-center. Piniella ordered an intentional walk to Kevin Kouzmanoff, before Kyle Blanks hit the game-ending, three-run home run over the left field fence.

Gregg says he hasn't lost his confidence.

"Yeah, I still believe in my stuff," he said.

You do? Have you SEEN your stuff? I think maybe you're confusing YOUR stuff with someone else's stuff. But I digress.

I'm still not ready to say "the season's over," but you can see "the season's over" from here. And that makes me angry. Specifically, that makes me angry at Kevin Gregg. Alas, Buddha tells us that hate and angry are wasted emotions born out of fear. So to give us a bit of perspective on our current feelings for Kevin Gregg, I thought I would compare our hatred of Kevin Gregg with our hatred of some other infamous dolts. Feel free to jump in and add your own dolt to the list!

Round 1: Kevin Gregg vs. Joe Jackson

2009 BET Awards - Press Room

Is there anything worse than pimping your own crappy record label at your kid's funeral? Turns out there is: Blowing SIX saves via walk-off homer.

Winner: Kevin Gregg.

Round 2: Kevin Gregg v. Kevin Federline:

Kevin Federline Spends Time With the Kids!

He gets paid $30,000 a week to eat and watch his own kids, not to mention lolling around in Vegas with his nanny/girlfriend. On the other hand, he never gave up any ground to the Cardinals.

Winner: Kevin Gregg

Round 3: Kevin Gregg v. Jon and Kate:

Jon and Kate Gosselin plus 8 at home in Reading, PA

He wears Ed Hardy t-shirts, she's got some messed up raccon-striped reverse mullet. Are these the two most insufferable people on the planet? Yes, and for some reason the media keeps deeming it necessary to put them on my TV. Additionaly, Jon is the only person who manages to look as perpetually confused as Groggles. However, he looks confused while NOT wearing a Cubs uniform.

Winner: Kevin Gregg.

Round 4: Kevin Gregg v.Aaron Miles:

Cleveland Indians vs Chicago Cubs

One continues to render all the runs scored in the first 8 innings for naught, the other brings injury and destruction to everything he touches. Would Kevin Gregg exist in his current horrific state were it not for the presence of Aaron Miles? We may never know. It's like the age old 'chicken and egg' quandry.

Winner: Toss up.

I can't blame Kevin Gregg alone for the loss, however. What Lou though he was doing putting Kevin Gregg in the game with a one-run lead was beyond me. I would have rather seen him run Jake Fox out there to pitch then bring Gregg in the game.

After tonight, I don't even know if I have the heart to get into the debate about Z, but here's Bruce Miles' summary of Will Carroll's Baseball Prospective article on Z:

He talks about Big Z in his acclaimed "Under the Knife" column. You might need a premium membership to get the whole deal, but Will says of Z's back problems: "I want to blame the workload, but more of the blame has to rest on Zambrano's shoulders for how his career is turning out. Or maybe the problem is a little bit higher up than his right shoulder."

Will says that Z was reminding people of Fergie Jenkins a couple years ago for his durability, but now Will makes a comparison to Rick Sutcliffe and the up-and-down nature of Sutcliffe's career, largely due to injuries. Will says there is probably a couple more good years left in Zambrano's arm "if he buckles down and gets focused...."

He winds up up saying that Zambrano may end up being "a Latin version of Rich Harden."

Ack. Blak. Is there anyone likeable on this team?

The real shame is that Lilly, who always shows up ready to go, definitely works on his abs, and who I hope opened up a big can of whupass on Groggles in the lockerr oom, had a really good start tonight.

We're. . .sigh. . .back at it in Petco tonight at 9:05 pm CT.

Um. . .go Cubs?

MillsChC said:

2 1/2 hours after the fact I tried to catch up on some TV from the past coupla days (Mad Men, Weeds, Clash of the Gods, etc.) to cheer me up, and all through them all I was still fuming.... but, I laughed at this post. Nice one.... and I echo the "the season's [not] over," but you can see "the season's over" from here." sentiment as well.

kiwibob said:

My 2nd favourite post this year!
But... I probably hate Miles more than Gregg
Call me a sentimentalist but I can think of the odd game, here and there, when Gregg actually did his job...
I can't actually think of ANY contribution Miles has made to this team at all...
(Well he hit a triple once.... that's it)

This was a really awesome post.

You all sound awful pissed about this. Me? I called the end of the season weeks (months?) ago, so no surprise here.

Umbra said:

Will Carroll has a long, long history of predicting that Carlos Zambrano will get injured. Does anyone remember when Z threw a no-hitter and Carroll wrote that he knew Z would get hurt because he couldn't raise his right shoulder as high as his left?

Chalk this one up to Doomsayer Bias again. You get noticed for the injuries you predict that come true, not the ones that you predict will come that don't.

thisyearcub said:

Totally agree Umbra. Carroll has some sort of thing for Zambrano for whatever reason. Not sure why. Maybe he should go write for the Tribune.

ok, yes Zambrano is awesome when he's pitching awesomely, and yes he can be fun to watch hit home runs, but right now, today, Zambrano is not my favorite player

of course its possible my frustration over this team is being slightly focused on him

berselius said:

The funny thing is, I saw Carroll's comments and thought it uncharacteristically charitable to Z compared to what he usually says

Bill80 said:

I am glad I didn't stay up to watch the end of the game--and the Cubs' season.

Jeff60525 said:

Was between watching Weeds and Nurse Jackie on the DVR last night and the channel was on the CUbs game, so I was able to see the Cubs up and Gregg coming in for the bottom of the 9th. I told my wife he'll probably blow this one too...hoping I would not be right. UGH.

i hate to admit it, but i knew exactly what was going to happen. i was watching laying in bed, and first i said 'here comes the double to tie,' and then i said 'here comes the long ball.'

today i plan on spending my day saying 'here come the winning lottery numbers. . . '

thisyearcub said:

Well, she's not singing yet, but the fat lady is definitely done at the buffet, is now having dessert and at least thinking about getting her vocal cords warmed up.

I'm going to go out on a short limb and say Kevin Gregg will not be in pinstripes next year. I say try out Guzman or Marmol, see if they can handle the pressure and if not, start thinking free agency. The list ain't pretty though. A lot of so-so guys, and then there's an old Trevor Hoffman and an injured Billy Wagner. Jose Valverde is a FA, though, prob. the best of the bunch.

thisyearcub said:

Damn, Cutler has already called out Hester? Interesting.

No he didn't. He was criticizing himself for the way he threw the pass.

That's exactly how I read it too. A lot of people are making something out of nothing. God I hate humanity.

millertime said:

Yeah, ESPN has this thing where if what is actually happening isn't exciting enough for them, they just make things up. Even in real time.

Also Monday night football sucks with their crew.

thisyearcub said:

Well, he was right though. That would help Hester, if he could start getting jump balls. He'd be an even better weapon.

Ed Nickow said:

You forgot Mike Fontenot - or maybe you tried to avoid thinking about him to prevent a complete breakdown. He left seven men on base last night. Not to excuse Gregg's epic failure (or "epic fail" as the kids say these days) but don't you think the result would have been different if he had a 2 or 3 run lead going into the ninth?

Okay, maybe not, but still ...

Also, in case you missed it last night (you claimed you went to sleep before the disaster) I posted the perfect picture of Aaron Miles. He's even in a Cardinal uniform, which makes it a little easier to laugh at the apparent futility on display. As a bonus it's from a game last year in which the Cubs beat StL.

summerguy said:

Why Kevin Gregg sucks, by Summerguy.

1. He walks David Eckstein who has never met a pitch he didn't like.

2. Has the straightest and most hittable fastball in the major leagues.

3. He has a devastating breaking pitch, AND NEVER USES IT.

4. He ALWAYS gets behind hitters, putting them in, you guessed it, fastball counts.

5. He makes us yearn for Kerry Wood, who has pretty much sucked this year for the Indians.

6. He has now given us 12, TWELVE, home runs as a reliever.

7. I wonder at what moment Jim Hendry decided, "I gotta trade for this guy." Was it when Darryl Ward absolutely obliterated his fastball for a game-winning 3-R HR last year? I'm thinking yes. Or maybe it was late in August (hmm... resemblance?) when he blew back to back games by giving up FOUR runs in each game against divisional rivals. My guess: Both instances gave Hendry a hardon.

8. He epitomizes this Cubs season in a whole... incredibly sucky, streaky, and completely underachieving.

thisyearcub said:

Good No. 8, also add "injured."

summerguy said:

True, but I hate blaming injuries for this mess. Every team has injuries. The Cubs injuries always seem to be worst-case scenario injuries. Like:

Ramirez- We went into the season hopeful he wouldn't get hurt. We had no backup 3rd baseman.

Miles- We went into the season hoping he would get hurt. Happened, but now he is back AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME since we need to actually win games.

Zambrano- we were waiting for his annual carpal tunnel or tennis elbow injury and now we find out he torques his back into oblivion everytime he swings the bat... and now how is this going to affect the rest of his season?

Lilly- forced to go on the DL for being a BAMF

Dempster- One of the most underachieving starts thus far... reclaimed the nickname Dumpster on several occasions.

REEDZ- backup outfielder extraordinaire, hurt his toe... and will miss a month. The outfield just got 200% slower.

And worst of all- Kevin Gregg, because now he can blame his suckiness on some stupid knee probably. The one earlier in the season where if he warmed up he had to come in or some stupid shit like that... something only the Cubs have ever had to endure.

thisyearcub said:

I'm not really blaming injuries, but they sure as hell contributed. Every team has injuries, but not like the Cubs this year. When you lose your No. 1, 2 and 3 pitcher for a period of time in the same season, I don't care what team or kind of offense you have, the odds are stacked against you.

don't we say that every year?

and as much as I love Ramirez, wasn't it foreseeable that he would at least need rest? how do you not have backup for him

Say what every year?

that injuries really hurt this team, that it was more than some other teams

yada yada yada

thisyearcub said:

I don't. I just can't remember a team that's lost their 1-3 pitchers for a period of time and then gone on to win the WS.

fair enough, although even with some of the starting pitching injuries thats not their biggest issue

thisyearcub said:

No, it's not. Like summerguy said, a combination of streakiness, underperforming and I added injuries.

That's the 2009 Cubs in seven words.

is it college basketball season yet?

Look, you can say whatever you want about injuries...

Marmol underperformed.
Bradley underperformed.
Soriano underperformed.
Soto underperformed.
Dempster underperformed.
Zambrano underperformed.
Harden underperformed.

Forget injuries...if any of these guys would have played to their career averages, this team would be in first place by 5 games right now...the cardinals would not have had any hope and would not have traded for DeRosa, Lugo and Holliday...and the Cubs would be talked about in the same way as the Phillies and Dodgers.

This team has not sucked because their 1-3 pitchers went down.

It is ridiculous that this team had only a 1-0 lead last night going into the late innings.

1 damn run?

thisyearcub said:

Read above. I'm not saying that was the main cause, but it was a major factor. Like I said, underperformance, streakiness and injuries.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on your second paragraph, since there's really no way to know.

Perkins said:

Zambrano actually has put up his best season since 2006. And Bradley's coming around. The rest are accurate, though I'd say this is about what we can expect from Dempster.

12 HR?! That's 3 more than Wells, who has thrown more than twice as many innings. Refuckingridculous.

Grabow and Heilman have pitched as many innings each as Greg this year, but COMBINED have fewer (10) HRs in twice as many innings.

secdelahc said:

I had a very weird dream last night. It involved me dreaming in Gameday cartoons that Fontenot pitched the 9th inning. I remember thinking that the game was gone, since he was tossing about 76 MPH fastballs, but he struck out the side. Sadly, I wish this were reality and Gregg was the dream part.

berselius said:

I actually fell asleep while watching the game last night, around the 4th inning. Probably the best decision I've made in a week.

summerguy said:

I have a good matchup vs. Kevin Gregg:

Kevin Gregg vs. LaTroy Hawkins

That should be in HireJimEssian's next FUKUDOME

Ed Nickow said:

How about "Closer Kevin Gregg" vs. "Kenyan Barack Obama"?

Oh, never mind ... they're both lies.

(one other thing ... don't you think it's about time browser-based spell checkers are updated not to flag Barack and Obama?

Wow no kidding. Chrome is OK with "Obama," but not "Barack."

So...I take it we didn't win last night.

After last night...I'm officially saying...

Put Ramirez on the shelf for the rest of the season and get him ready for next year.

Agree. They say he doesn't need surgery, which is great -- so just to be sure, let that shoulder get a 100% rest.

I'd be ok with that

and start shopping anyone else on the team, seriously, there is nobody I'd be that upset losing

and yes, I'd even get over losing Koyie Hill, thats what this season has done to me

If they could get out from under Soriano's contract, I'd personally perform whatever -- WHATEVER -- services Jim Hendry requested.

I don't want to see them lose Ramirez, Z, Harden, Lilly, and Marmol. Harden and his injuries are frustrating, but his stuff is just too good to give up. Also, his ass. Marmol has the talent, and if he can regain control...

Marmol I think could actually get something in return right now though, there are enough teams that are thinking exactly how you are

Lilly I'd like to keep, because he's fun, but I wouldn't cry over him leaving

Aramis is the one player I think I'd be upset losing

Well, I agree. Aramis is close to passing Sammy and Ryno as my favorite player ever. He's the *one* piece they cannot move in a firesale.

I want to keep Marmol at all costs for next season. I believe he will rebound next year. Then after next season, with his value high, I'd try to trade him.

Yeah.

I don't have that optimism about Marmol next season

He has the stuff. And, he's shown the control before. Hell, I even kinda sorta think that if Lou named Marmol the closer today, it might help his confidence, and this his control. But I am probably talking nonsense.

am I making you look like an optimist on something Cubs related?

The reason I think Marmol will rebound is that I have begun to see a lot of Kyle Farnsworth in him...

Farnsworth for a number of years was good every other season.

Either way, I don't think Marmol will get worse next season, so his value will likely be about the same next year if he has another season like this one. His talent will always be there, and if a player has the type of stuff that marmol has, there will always be a team willing to take him on. So at this point, holding on to him for one more season might be a good idea, just to see if he can straighten himself out.

In this case, I think its realism more than optimism. But nice try.

thisyearcub said:

Cubs really need to trade Jake Fox to the AL while his value is high. Maybe for a 2B.

agreed.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I'd like to say something, but I can't muffle my sobs long enough to get out a coherent thought.

I don't feel sad. I kind of feel relief. Have you ever had a really long-suffering relative die, and when they do, yeah, it is sad, but it is also a relief knowing they are no longer in pain and the ordeal is over for all?

That's how I feel.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

But until they're mathematically eliminated, I'll still hold out irrational hope that they're going to pull it off.

Oh. Heh. Not me.

I'm usually that way...

But right now, the Cardinals are just playing too well. I really don't think they are going to have a long enough let down to let the Cubs slip into the playoffs.

And besides, outside of a 2 week stretch after the all-star break, the Cubs really have shown no signs of being anything more that what we've seen this year. I now believe that is not going to change.

The thing I don't get about the Cardinals is other than Pujols, who is probably the best player ever not named Babe Ruth, who the fuck do they have? I can't name anybody on their team (well, Chris Carpenter, but he seems to be always hurt). How do they win?

Actually, believe it or not, I looked at their lineup at the beginning of the season and thought they weren't too bad.

Poo-holes of course...
Ludwick has proven to be rather good.
Troy Glaus would have been solid if not for injuries.
I thought Ankiel would be able to drive in runs.
Molina...damn good catcher
Schumaker is a solid player
and I figured Greene would hit...but would be his usual crappy fielding self.

That isn't horrible. Pitching wise, I did not expect them to be as good...I should have known Dave Duncan would pull them together as he usually does.

Add Lugo, Holliday, DeRosa, and good seasons by a couple of youngsters like Ryan and Rasmus (which every team has a couple of young player that come out of no where)...

I think a lot of people have underestimated what the Cardinals had at the beginning of the season.

They have had their share of injuries...and you know what they did? They went out and got solid replacements for those injured players.

Before July, were the Cardinals a really good team? No. Not really. That were just barely good enough to stay above .500 and lead the division. Their pitching saved them while their hitting struggled...mainly due to injuries. (Just like the Cubs.)

They went out, and fixed their hitting problems. And their pitching has continued to be solid.

No they have a very scary lineup and match up with the Phillies and Dodgers. Really. They do.

And sadly, the Cubs do not match up with any of those three teams.

why can't the Cubs do that?

That's a very good question.

And all I can say to answer that is that the Cardinals have good baseball people running their franchise all the way up to the very top of their organization.

The Cubs do not. And the Cubs have tended to have higher turnover in management...which makes it difficult for there to be a system wide philosophy for them to build their organization around.

I wish I were a Cardinals fan

ugh...this is what the Cubs have done to us. my goodness.

out of curiosity, how long do I have to live in a place before I can become a fan of the local team without being considered bandwagon?

you know, for future reference

Absolute min 3 years, but I'd wait till you were on the other side of 5. You might even wait till 7-10.

God, imagine living in St. Louis, asshole of America, for that long. *shudder*

Also, what does Zambrano's being Latino have to do with comparing him to Harden?

"He's a Latin Rich Harden"
is the same as
"He's another Rich Harden"

We know he's Latino, thanks for pointlessly reminding us.

Were Z Black, would he have said, "A Black version of Rich Harden"?

BTW, FWIW, etc. etc., I'm not calling Will Carrol a racist. I'm just saying it was pointless.

And I'm just kind of taking out my rage on him, because Chicago's writers are all seriously pissing me off.

That's a good point...and I don't like the comparison anyway...poor job by the Cubs best beat reporter (which is not saying much).

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

But it was Will Carroll and not Bruce Miles.

oh...my bad...well, I don't particularly like the comparison...Z may in the end compare closer to Kerry Wood than Rich Harden.

I was thinking...I would be really cool if Lou and Goggles got into a fight in the dugout. I could see that happening.

And, is Goggles the dumbest player on the team? He sure sounds like it.

thisyearcub said:

I'd like to add Tim Tebow to the list above. I am so sick of hearing about that guy.

I'm sick of hearing about his sex life. Keep it to yourself, Timmy.

I don't even know who that is?

I am thinking about officially giving up on the season, I feel this holding out hope (yes, I am currently still holing out hope) is bad for my health

if I give up, then I can just sit back and chill with baseball again rather than becoming angry when they blow a lead or can't score any runs

And, you know, giving up hope does a couple things...

a) Expectations are lowered leading to less frustration over the pathetic play of this team.

b) If they do some how turn it around, it will make it even more enjoyable. (Like the 2007 season.)

millertime said:

There is a fine line in baseball. Expect too much from your team, and you turn into an asshole Mets/Yankees WHY ARE WE NOT WINNING type of fan. Expect to little and you turn into the Brewers "fans". I just need the Cubs to win 1 world series, and then lose for 5 years straight, so I can start getting tickets to the games.

I think thats what I'm going to do, there are too many otehr things in life to waste my energy getting upset over a game like last night

yay for returning to the "I like baseball, lets watch a game and relax, and just enjoy it instead of worrying about how the outcome affects things" world

millertime said:

Apparently nothing happened in sports last night becaue for the next 4 hours ESPN is going to talk about Brett Farve. Because the one thing we all need is every single NFL person at ESPN to give their own special opinion on how the fans, players, Brett Farve, and the media will react.

This is turning into a pretty crappy day.

did he do something?

wait, don't answer that, I really don't want to know

Umbra said:

He is on a Vikings plane!

excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick

thisyearcub said:

Better than being on a Vikings boat

He's going to sink that franchise...just wait.

still doesn't mean the Vikings fans that I watch football with aren't going to be incredibly annoying this season

thisyearcub said:

I am excited to watch Brett Favre have one game with 3 TDs and then nine games with 3 INTs.

Now at least it means the game here against Minnesota in December won't be moved for flex scheduling. TV execs love Favre more than Paul Sullivan hates Zambrano/Bradley.

I can't wait to watch Max screech at the TV as Favre audibles every play, completely ignoring the best RB in the game, so he can chuck the ball downfield to no one.

No, I think that's the post of the day.

Max Power said:

False. He's never had an RB with anything like the talent of Mr. Peterson. Jeff George, another guy who loved to chuck it downfield, fell into line with a great receiver corps (like the Vikings have now) and a good RB (Smith was no Peterson, but he did well on the MCATs).

thisyearcub said:

Silly Julie...Favre won't chuck the ball downfield to no one...there will be plenty of defensive backs there!

post of the day.

jtbwriter said:

That's funny-but yours is just as good-how about Kevin Gregg vs the insurance lobby? Then again-Groggles doesn't get that "stupid mistakes" cost games! Sigh...Kevin Gregg wins.

Usually about now there are people all over the place saying, "At this time in 2007, the Cubs were xx games back," or whatever. Anyone got those numbers to share?

Umbra said:

Back 1.5 games.

Bwahaha no wonder we haven't heard from those people.

thisyearcub said:

This time last year, the Cubs were up 6 games.

"Memmmmmories..."

RIP Bob Novak, one of my favorite political journalists.

Also, thanks Bob for garnering me 8 points in my deadpool.

I loved watching him on Crossfire back in the day...great stuff. Not always a fan of his views, but a great political journalist.

Exactly. Also, I love that he outed Valerie Plame, and that he was sometimes just an outright rumor-mongerer.

RevMike said:

I watched this horror unfold in person at Petco, in the first row behind the Padres dugout, with the Friar mascot shaking his giant ass in my face when they came from behind to win it. Lilly was excellent on the mound last night, as usual, and Aaron Miles was mediocre, as usual. What is with this team? Why does Lou have to always start lefties against right-handed pitchers? If Miles can't hit off of anyone, what are the odds he will hit against a righty? Meanwhile the Padres have nothing to lose and will continue to swing away and get these kinds of wins.

At least the Cubs fans seemed to outnumber the Padres fans, but it didn't seem to do any good.

"If Miles can't hit off of anyone, what are the odds he will hit against a righty?"

thats logic rev, the 2009 Cubs don't use logic

I just saw that John Smoltz was released finally by the Red Sox yesterday.

Maybe the Cubs should take a chance and see if he wants to close for them.

he's been pretty sucktacular this season