Cubs Fans and Racism: A Very Special LOHO Podcast

Nationals-Cubs

When: Monday, August 31, 2009 8:00 pm CT

Where:  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aleagueofherown

Call-in Number:  (347) 884-8570

All kidding aside, I know the allegations about Cubs fans and racism raised by Milton Bradley (but not for the first time) have upset a lot of fans. They've upset me. What's been even more distressing is the rift the discussions (arguments? invective-filled rants?) have created between blogs, friends, and presumably, Cubs players and fans.

To be honest, both sides have points to make. However, instead of talking about racism, an issue that affects ALL of us in this country, in a constructive manner, the discussion has devolved into a lot of people franticallly posting borderline-deranged (thanks, Proggy) comments insulting those who disagree with them.

At times, I've gotten so angry at something someone has said regarding Milton Bradley, Chicago, the media, the fans, the Cubs, and me, that I've had to walk away from the commputer before I said something I regretted. But while avoiding comments that will destroy friendships and internet relationships forever is probably a good thing, it doesn't do much in the way of resolving my very strong feelings on this matter, and I think many of you feel the same. The fact that there are certain blogs out there that are doing nothing all day but talking about Milton Bradley is proof of this, I think.

So, with this in mind, we're going to resume podcasting Monday night at 8:00 pm CT. On that day, thisyearcub and I will host a special, 90-minute podcast on Cub fans and racism. At the same time, we'll post a diary on the same issue so that people can comment along with the podcast.

I've invited several different people to participate on-air in this podcast. However, everyone and anyone is welcome to take part (that's what makes this podcast 'very special'). As usual, the link to listen and the number to call in will be posted under the "podcast" link at the top of the site, as well as on the podcast diary itself. Additionally, if you're too shy to call in, feel free to email me with any comments or questions you'd like read on the air: leagueofherown (at) gmail (dot) com.

Obviously, there are no restrictions on what people can say. However, as this issue is so sensitive and baseball is supposed to be FUN, I will ask that everyone be respectful of other peoples' feelings and viewpoints. Remeber that we all bring different baggage to the situations in our lives.

Hope to see you all there.

This is the best written story about bradley that I have seen which most accurately says what I feel...

CBS...Bradley...the cry baby

I'll try to be around for the podcast...because I, for some damn reason, just can't ignore this guy or this situation.

canopygrl said:

I loved it, best article yet!

summerguy said:

The best part about the article... the writer is black and no bias whatsoever.

baturkey said:

Uncle Tom

that's what Milty would say.

HoboHanson said:

---There were media reports stating thousands of Cubs fans yelled, in unison, "Kill him!"---

I don't remember anyone saying that. At least not where I was. I heard thousands of people yelling "bullshit".

Good article. Thanks for directing us to it.

millertime said:

Sounds good, I will try to listen in.

For the record, while I think that Bradley has been dealing with racism, I in no way believe that the commentators at this site has any racial hatred or bias towards MB. I believe Julie, Doc, and others have legitimate reason to be upset with MB, even though I disagree with your reasoning. Which happens from time to time. So anyways, I just wanted to be clear that while I do think that some of the abuse MB is getting is racist in nature, I don't think anyone at this site has treated Milton different because of his color. Except for Umbra, who is racist against any player taller than 5'9, or any player not named Mike Fontenot.

I think I got carried away in some of my past comments on this topic. Except for any comments concerning Scarlet Johanson, she should totally be hired immediately. It is my goal to have sportscenter comment about the possibility of Ms. Johanson becoming a ball girl (I almost just wrote call girl cause the c and b are right next to each other) for the Cubs.

Karen said:

I must have a different keyboard, because on mine the v is in between the c and the b :)

Anybody want to play co-ed rec volleyball in the western burbs?

millertime said:

What time do you play?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I'd love to, but the I got kicked out of my last co-ed rec league for wearing bun-huggers.

Umbra said:

I got kicked out of the grocery store for hugging buns.

hee. this made me cover my screen in tea last night.

carl = funny

summerguy said:

I would love too... except I'm in Florida.

kiwibob said:

Well I say hurrah that there is going to be a podcast.... and boo cos of the reason we're having it.

Ruh-roh. . . completely forgot the Bears game is on primetime Sunday night.

We might have to push this to Monday night.

kiwibob said:

Double hooray....
I'm currently working up a post on this from an non-American perspective... it examines the nature of the discourse surrounding race as it is played out in the U.S.
I wanted to get it finished before the podcast but have been hampered by foolishly pickling myself for the last two days...

hmmm.

i'm not sure you can write from non-American perspective. you might be irrevocably tainted from hanging around with us too much.

jtbwriter said:

Morning....
If I'm home from taxi duty in time, I'd love to participate/at least listen to the podcast... As I read your comments-I'm listening to the eulogies for Sen Kennedy... Sigh. Boy, do I feel old-I now have watched funerals for a President, a should have been president and leader of the Senate.. Somehow, I think Sen Kennedy would be proud we're comfortable enough talking about racism instead hiding from it or denying it.
On the other hand, I just don't get Harden and Heilman being waived-I thought throwing in the towel before Labor Day was reserved for teams like the Nats..