Chicago Cubs Headlines For Wednesday

MLB: MAY 19 Pirates at Nationals

Hey you guuuuuys!

We all felt dread at the inclusion of Tom Gorzelanny in the deadline deal with the Pirates. If he does nothing else for the team, he helped keep the Cubs in first place on a Tuesday night in Cincinnati.

Gorzelanny pitched the Cubs to a 6-3 victory Tuesday night over the Reds, throwing seven shutout innings before Sean Marshall allowed an inherited runner to score in the eighth.

"What a nice game Gorzelanny pitched," manager Lou Piniella said. "Great way to break in here."

The Cubs improved to 14-5 since the All-Star break and remained tied with the Cardinals atop the National League Central.

Gorzelanny, the 27-year-old Evergreen Park native who spent the last two months pitching for Pittsburgh's Triple-A team in Indianapolis, looked like he was back to his 2007 form, when he won 14 games for the Pirates. He gave up only three hits over 7 1/3 innings -- including a first-inning triple that Alfonso Soriano missed at the wall -- and walked only one.

When he walked off the mound in the eighth, Gorzelanny received an ovation from the pro-Cubs crowd of 17,992.

Wrigley Southeast was appreciative of his efforts:

"It was great," he said. "It shows how big this team is, having more fans here than the home team. It's definitely a different feeling, coming from where I came from. It was something I'll remember for a while."

And Kosuke has done nothing but hit since going to the leadoff spot, including a leadoff home run last night:

Kosuke Fukudome started the Cubs off with a first-inning home run off Johnny Cueto, his first leadoff homer in his major-league career. Fukudome is hitting .338 since replacing Alfonso Soriano as the leadoff hitter, looking more comfortable by the day.

With Milton Bradley on the bench for Tuesday's game, the Trib and Sun-Times are ready to insinuate a plot by Lou to make a right field platoon:

Bradley, who has started in only 72 of 105 games and would seem to need less rest than most regulars, has been out of the lineup three of the last 11 games, including Tuesday in Cincinnati.

This after a three-day break to work with Piniella on his hitting less than a week before.

The common thread in the recent days off: Opponents started particularly hard-throwing right-handers with good off-speed stuff in Florida's Ricky Nolasco on Sunday and Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto on July 25 and Tuesday.

And don't expect Geovany back until Friday night:

Soto played in only his third minor-league rehab game Tuesday night after catching in a game for the first time (five innings) Monday and going 1-for-2 with a walk and RBI for Class AA Tennessee. He was scheduled to catch seven innings Tuesday night with general manager Jim Hendry in Tennessee this week to evaluate his progress.

''I talked to Jim [on Monday] night,'' Piniella said, ''and the feeling is he needs two more days.''

With Gorzelanny up, Andres Blanco went to the DL. Now that Aaron Miles has to be activated, who goes back down? The Trib says Mr. Fancypants:

Andres Blanco went on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with a strained left calf.

"These things happen," Blanco said. "It's just a little sore."

The Cubs will call up Aaron Miles on Wednesday from his Triple-A Iowa rehab assignment. Sam Fuld is likely to be sent down.

The Sun-Times insists that a pitcher will be sent down.

Kevin Gregg got a second straight day off on Tuesday after his not-so-spectacular work in Florida:

Meanwhile, Gregg took a second straight day of what he called ''heavy treatment'' for his achy arm, the result of a lot of work by the late-inning crew. Marmol (56) and Gregg (52) ranked among the top 10 pitchers in the National League in appearances through Monday.

''It's kind of like spring-training dead arm,'' said Gregg, whose 38-pitch blown save Saturday night might have pushed the condition to the edge. ''There's no pinpoint spots [of pain], there's no nothing. When you go to throw, it doesn't seem to be reacting the way it should be when you're throwing. The location seems fine. But it's missing the late life that it needs to get the hitters.''

My thoughts on the game:

1) We need to come up with a better name for TG than "Sloth." He was so good last night; he deserves better.

2) If you say you expected the 2007 TG to show up last night, you are a filthy liar.

3) I hate our pigpen.

Um...I think that's it.

4) I still hate Mike Fontenot.

Maybe that one should be #1

it's number one in my heart.

When I create my time machine, right after going back and purchasing some winning lottery tickets, I'm going to talk Hendry into getting a real second baseman.

We should try to talk him out of signing Bradley too...or at least signing him to a contract worth about 1/2 as much.

jtbwriter said:

Good morning from hot and humid So Cal...

Julie-what did poor Fonte ever do to you? As far as I can see, he's cute and cuddly and did drive in some runs this week! I'd save hating for the Sox (White or Red-both are evil!) You should be in a good mood, anyway, Harden and his cute butt are pitching tonight! LOL!

I vote calling TG Gorzy-I think it sounds good going along with Fonzie, Z and D-Lee.

It might be a good time to find the 4 pirate fans that are out there and ask them what their nickname for him was.

Mike Fontenot is bad at baseball.

thisyearcub said:

Good for TG. Small sample size, but this could be a steal by Hendry. He translates well to the bullpen when Lilly comes back too.

I didn't know what to expect from him, but I was definitely rooting for him and happy with the result.

We were all rooting for him. But you see, as I root for the Cubs, I'm used to people who I root for sucking on a grand scale.

thisyearcub said:

I must have read some of last night's comments by others wrong then.

Don't confuse what we were expecting to happen (I thought he would get lit up last night) and all of us rooting for him.

I was rooting for him at the end of Goonies, and I was rooting for him last night.

thisyearcub said:

Didn't you say it was embarrassing for the Cubs to have him?

maybe. I can't remember...that was like 4 days ago. Those brain cells are long dead.

And if I did say that...that still wouldn't mean that I wasn't going to root for him.

thisyearcub said:

"how embarrassing that he is on our team now. He belongs on the pirates."

That was yesterday.

Damn...my brain cells are getting killed off much more quickly these days. I should probably be a bit concerned about that.

I still don't think that's the same as rooting against him. It IS embarrassing to have someone who couldn't make he Pirates bullpen starting for us. And remember Ryan O'Malley--one good start and done. We'll see what TG does the next time out. One good start does not a Cy Young candidate make.

There's no need to be the guardian for the players feelings, Matt. I'm pretty sure they can take care of themselves.

What the heck ever happened to Ryan O'Malley?

thisyearcub said:

Oh, come on, Julie. Who in the world said anything about Cy Young? You should read above. I said small sample size.

Also, he was down in AAA in Pittsburgh for financial reasons, it wasn't that he couldn't make the bullpen.

And thanks, but I'm not guarding anyone's feelings. Don't know where that came from.

Well, it hurt my feelings.

I don't think there's always a need to call people out for what they've said. TG surprised us all last night. Let's see if it continues. But saying that you're afraid a player is going to suck is not the same as rooting against someone. The only person here who's ever rooted against anyone on the Cubs that I can remember is Doc rooting against Milty.

I've never rooted against Milty (well, maybe once). In fact, I have never bood him. I don't like him. But, I want him to play well. I want him to stop making stupid mistakes. I just don't think he will be very successful in Chicago. (Julie, you knew I wouldn't let that statement drop. Ugh!)

The only reason I would ever root against Bradley was so I would be proven correct about him...but I'm not that self-centered. Well, I am very self-centered, but not when it comes to the Cubs being successful.

thisyearcub said:

OK, I shall remember that first sentence.

Here's all I'm saying, before this evolved into a tift: Gorzo is like a better Kevin Hart. That's what you should expect. A decent No. 5 starter with less walks and more exp. than Hart. Was yesterday surprising? Maybe a little, but he was handcuffed by the Pirates b/c of $$ and was pitching pretty well in AAA. Plus he was facing the Reds. And next he'll have to face the Rockies, a lot better of a team. So no, I'll tell you right off the bat to not expect 7.1 innings of shutout ball again.

But I'd take him over Hart, esp. because he can further aid the bullpen when Lilly is back.

Doc, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'm sending you a case of Sugar Daddies to make up for it. They're the best! Well, besides Reese's Pieces. Also, a Milton Bradley autograph.

Thanks!

I am a bit surprised that people expect bradley to be able to play 150 games in a season. 100 to 120...that's all anyone should expect. He only played in 120 or so games last year, and that was a "healthy" season for him.

summerguy said:

Well if you think about it... if he was actually hitting lefties this year, he would be starting all the time. The only reason he hasn't been starting is because of how terrible he hits lefties and I guess hard throwing righties.

If actually hit well earlier in the season and playing everyday, he's still probably be slumping at this point of the season and would require a rest anyway. It is just the way he is.

So, I've been thinking, since I heard the "Dempster-closer" argument last night.

If we continue to get solid starting pitching, why not consider moving Harden or Zambrano into a closers role...just for the rest of this season? Harden might be a better choice, since I would hope the move would take some strain off the often injured right hander.

We have Lilly, Wells, Dempster, Z, Harden, Marshall, and Gordzadsfadsflaany all of who can start.

I don't know. I can't think of any other answers right now for the bullpen, though.

summerguy said:

Well Marshall obviously isn't going to start now since we already have a logjam in the starting rotation. But yeah someone is going to be the odd man out once Lilly comes back.

I think it's safe to say Lilly will still have a spot when he returns.

I guess we shouldn't assume Gordsdafdsfdsafany will be this good the rest of the season and in no way probably deserves a starting spot over the other guys...but as a #5 starter right now, I think he would work. And moving Harden or Z to close might make life a little easier for the starters anyway.

summerguy said:

I think its safe to say the Gregg deal is on a one-year plan. He is gone after this.

oh....I just assumed that. Hopefully the Brewers will sign him next year.

I wonder if he could sneak through waivers and be used as trade bait for a DECENT FUCKING SECOND BASEMAN who could also clear waivers. I don't know I'm just thinking out loud (really loud, actually)

And by "he" I mean Gorzawhatshisfuckface

I think you misspelled that.

In my defense it is a hard name to spell.

thisyearcub said:

Likely Gorzo. He'll be moved to the pen. It's 50/50 whether B.J. Ryan ever gets called up (he's not exactly blowing hitters away in Iowa), so Gorzellany will give the Cubs another lefty option in relief.

Wells is pitching too solid to even think about moving him. Possibly rookie of year.

Speaking of Ryan, all I've heard was that he was only hitting 87mph with his fastball. What the heck happened to that guy? Was he hurt?

thisyearcub said:

Zambrano is a starter and the team's No. 1 ace. That's not happening.

Harden was tried as a closer in Oakland for a short period, and it didn't work out. I could see him may having to do that down the road, but I don't know about now.

If this team makes the playoffs, though, you'll definitely see some starters be used in bullpen roles.

One positive is that this team has enough starting pitching right now for this discussion to actually happen. How sad it is we can't find anyone to close out the games for these starters.

Perkins said:

Harden and Zambrano are the two most talented pitchers on the roster. Limiting the innings of either one would be a poor choice.

as poor of a choice as putting Gregg or Marmol out there right now to try to save great the great efforts of all of our starters right now?

Perkins said:

An even poorer choice, actually. Zambrano and Harden are good enough to go through an opposing batting order multiple times, something most relievers can't do.

Any pitcher replacing them in the rotation wouldn't be as good at that. You'd be losing that production in the sense that the better pitchers would be throwing fewer innings, and hence inherently providing less value. Couple that with the drop in talent to those pitchers taking over that amount of innings; it's not a wise decision.

That said, Lilly will probably be back relatively close to the time rosters expand, meaning they'll only have about a week or so to have the nice problem of too much good starting pitching.

I'm guessing the pitching staff looks like this once Lilly is back, and before September:

Starters: Zambrano, Harden, Lilly, Dempster, Wells
Relievers: Gregg, Guzman, Marmol, Marshall, Grabow, Gorzelanny, Heilman

Samardzija and Stevens still have options, and will be back up when rosters expand. Gorzelanny would be the long reliever/spot starter.

That's a damn fine rotation.

Perkins said:

As far as who should be closing games, that's Angel Guzman. He's the best reliever on the staff (admittedly a low bar).

I honestly think he'd probably crack under the pressure of closing. But he's probably a better choice than Goggles and SlingBoy.

Perkins said:

I think too much is made of the mental aspect of finishing a ballgame. Obviously there are exceptions (LaTroy Hawkins comes to mind, even though he was still really good in 2004), but I think just give your best pitchers more opportunities to pitch, especially in high leverage situations.

summerguy said:

"Rubberband Man" -The Spinners plays every time he comes to the mound

I agree, but would qualify that by saying "right now". Because Marmol, if he can get his shit straight, is the best reliever on the staff and one of a handful the best in baseball.

Perkins said:

Right, but that assumes his fastball is in the same zip code as the hitter. So far this year, he's been pretty bad at sports. Right now he needs to be pitching in lower leverage situations.

yyyyyyeah that's over stating it a bit. He's been really bad at control. But he's also been ridiculously good at not letting people make contact. Someone's just got to settle him down. Bring back Hank White!

Perkins said:

Or just get him some horse tranquilizers.

Perkins said:

Something I actually would like to see is starters used in relief between outings. Starters usually throw a bullpen and a side session between outings, right? Why not just make a starter available in relief on days he would normally throw? If he doesn't get in the game, then he can throw after, or just get in his work under the guise of warming up. I feel like this would free up at least one spot on the roster for another bench player.

I like this idea. But I think there'd be a lot of bitching from starters. For which they should be put in their place, but still.

That really isn't too bad of an idea...

Especially in the situation that the Cubs are in right now, with potentially 6 players that are currently stretched out for starting (an potentially a 7th)...

Going with a 6 man rotation with a one starter everyday available to work out of the bullpen.

But that is way too radical for Lou.

Perkins said:

I think it would even work with a 5 man rotation. Really the only difference is the pitcher would be facing hitters instead of throwing to a catcher (I get that that's a big difference, but still). Not to mention that starters get to start games because they're better than relievers. Replacing middle relief (or even setup relief) with a starting pitcher would be giving those innings to a better pitcher.

I fully expect Tony LaRussa to try something like this eventually.

I fully agree...

With the way they worked, I'm kinda surprised the Braves of the 1990's didn't do something like that. Even with that said, on a few occasions, I recall John Smoltz coming in late in couple a game between startes. And with Zambrano and Dempster on this team, I would fully expect they could easily do that.

Perkins said:

There's also an idea in The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball that would totally restructure the rotation in order to get more PA from a pinch hitter, as opposed to a pitcher.

The top three pitchers pitch normally on days 1,2, and 4. The bottom two pitchers on the staff alternate who starts and who relieves on days 3 and 5. The starter gets pulled for a pinch hitter the first time he comes up, and then the other starter relieves him, getting pulled when his turn comes up in the lineup.

Basically, it would give 2-4 more PA over a 5 game span to a competent hitter, which results in more runs over the course of a season.

It would be so cool if there was some team owner out there that would be willing to hire a manager that would actually try something really different like this.

summerguy said:

Is anyone here going to Woodfield Mall this Saturday? Ron Santo is going to be there signing autographs but you have to buy tickets.

secdelahc said:

I refuse to buy a ticket to get an autograph. It just seems wrong. Plus, I'm nowhere near Woodfield mall.

summerguy said:

I'm almost positive that the proceeds would go to JDRF. Plus they are only letting in 10 people at a time, so its almost like 1 on 1 with Ronnie

Karen said:

Adding to the thoughts:
5) Harden is pitching tonight and he has a nice ass

Most accurate thing ever said on this site

I know it is not even near the offseason, but do the Cubs bring back Rich Harden next year?

Perkins said:

Depends on Gorzelanny and Wells. I'd try to sell high on Wells this offseason (and make up for not selling high on Marmol), and then possibly hang onto Harden. He's one of the most talented pitchers in the game.

summerguy said:

But with the payroll situation the way it will be for the next couple years... I think having a talented pitcher like Wells on the roster for cheap would be the way to go.

Perkins said:

That said, Wells's FIP is a full run higher than his ERA. He's due for some regression, to say the least. I agree that having a talented, cost controlled player is a great thing, but I also think after a season like he's been having, someone is bound to think he can be this good permanently and give up a lot to get a very good cost-controlled player.

Harden is also a high pitch count and oft injured pitcher.

He will probably command $10 million or more for at least 3 years. This team still needs a second baseman and they need to figure out what to do with right and center field.

And the team needs a closer.

If there is enough talent on the team without Harden to fill a 5 man rotation (with one person to back up incase of injury), I think the Cubs would have to seriously consider letting him walk.

You'd think if the Cubs were serious about trying to bring him back next year, they would have started to work with him on an extension now before he hits the market this winter.

And you have to wonder if Harden wants to stay too.

Perkins said:

I think someone will end up offering Harden more, but I think 3/30 with incentives or a vesting option based on innings pitched is a very reasonable offer for one of the most talented (if frequently injured) pitchers in the game.

There's no reason to think Bradley will continue to suck (he has been steadily improving...he has a .359 wOBA in the last 30 days). He still has to work out the hole in his swing from the left side, but he'll get there. Fukudome has been looking acceptable at sports. Second is an issue, but the Cubs could always sign Orlando Cabrera for short, and then platoon Theriot and Fontenot at second (or just have Theriot take it full time).

And they could always try Cashner in late inning relief.

Perkins said:

Or they could trade for Heath Bell. That would probably work.

I'm not sure what will end up happening with bradley, but I can tell you one thing...he's lost any support with both the fans and media. I find it unlikely he will finish out his contract in a Cubs uniform.

Fukudome has been improving steadily in center and has been a very good leadoff hitter for this team. But a platoon between him and bradley in right (until bradley is run out of town) seems like a better idea.

God knows what is going to happen with second and short at this point.

And I want Cashner to start.

Perkins said:

He never had the support of the media to begin with. They went on lionizing their favorite quote machine Mark DeRosa and most didn't give Bradley a fair shake to begin with. Anything bad that happened after he got signed was just confirmation bias.

Bradley is a very good ballplayer, and even very good players have down years. Shit happens. My only real concern about him is the strange disappearance of his power. He's still a valuable hitter, though, and I expect him to be better next year.

Fuck the media and fuck the fans who give Bradley shit. It's not like he signed for superstar money, and it's not like it's a long contract.

Well, arguing about the signing of Bradley and whether or not he would be a good fit in Chicago is basically beating a dead horse...

But honestly, Bradley's lack of power isn't really something new. People who though we brought in a lefty power hitter to compliment Soriano and Ramirez need to actually look at the stats. He is not a power hitter. He has never been a power hitter. He's an OBP guy. Period. 15 to 20 home runs would be an average season for him.

Perkins said:

He has always hit for decent power, though. His HR totals are relatively low (partly due to games played and HR being a counting stat), but his career SLG is .451...certainly not bad considering he played his entire career until last year in extreme pitchers' parks.

Stretched out over 162 games, he averages 20 hrs a year.

Outside of last year, his highest total for hrs was 19 for the Dodgers in 2004 which happened to be the only season that you could call that he was healthy and played for an entire season.

Last year he hit 22 in what was easily a career season for him and would be unlikely to repeat.

Perkins said:

He's not exactly old, and those HR totals are largely due to hitting in extreme pitchers' parks. In a neutral or hitter friendly park, with 600 PA, I could see 25 HR, at least before his power inexplicably disappeared.

His SLG is still pretty good for his career. Not great, but good, and ability to get on base is very valuable. I'd like to see him hitting second in the order. He sees a crapload of pitches and doesn't swing at much out of the zone.

For the record, his career wOBA is .358. He's a pretty good hitter, even if he doesn't have huge power.

This is Bradley's 10th season. He's not exactly young.

His career slugging percentage is .451

Fukudome is slugging .451 this season. Is he a power hitter?

Texas is a hitter friendly park.

Oakland and Anaheim are neutral parks.

Cleveland is pitcher friendly (he only played 41 games in San Diego).

That seems to be a rather even set to judge his statistics.

An interesting look at the stats does show that he consistantly through his career, except last year, Bradley has hit better on the road. I guess he plays better when his home fans aren't around to boo him.

And I've been saying throughout this he is an "on base" guy. Always has been.

And besides that, as a player who has played 10 years and never hit 25 home runs in a season, why would anyone think he would do it now?

Perkins said:

Well, he hit 22 last season. That was pretty recent. And that was in about 500 PA.

6 of those HRs came on the road. Ouch.

Perkins said:

Oakland is a pitcher's park. This season, it's closer to average, but most seasons (and when Bradley was there) it's an extreme pitcher's park. Ditto Dodger Stadium. He never played in Anaheim. Literally everywhere Bradley played until Texas (and now Wrigley) was among the most pitcher-friendly parks in the game.

thisyearcub said:

Slow clap for Perkins. Can we bring back sig lines? 'Cause that last graf would be mine.

Just like everyone was ready to jettison Fukudome out after last year, the same is being done with Bradley. As you said, even good players have down years. I too, expect him to turn it around.

Well done, sir.

Perkins said:

Hey, I just realized no more sig lines. That's unfortunate.

Clap all you want...

Why did anyone suspect the media would act any different? They did the same to Jacque Jones (who's career slugging pct was almost equal to Bradley's). Bradley's lack of acceptance was predestined, right or wrong.

Perkins said:

That's a glaring indictment of Cubs fans and the Chicago media, not of Bradley or Jones.

It doesn't matter who's at fault (but you are right about that). It is a fact of life. And the Cubs management needs to start taking these things into consideration when signing players.

It is just the way it is.

Perkins said:

False. Fuck the fans if they can't appreciate a good player. All I really want is for the team to assemble the best roster possible, regardless of what some dumbass fans think.

If the best roster possible is despised by the media and picked on by the fans, then that roster will not perform to expectations. I wish it was different. I wish the fans would love the guy. I wish the media would give the guy a chance.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is. This is a brutal market. Right or wrong it is what it is. Bradley has cracked under pressure in the past. But the added pressure of playing in Chicago has made it more difficult for him to the point where he not only has blowups, but it has, this season, it has affected his game as well, which had not happened previously.

Perkins said:

Or he's having a down year. That happens to hitters sometimes.

I really could care less what Cubs fans and the media think about players. Both of the aforementioned groups constantly find reasons not to like one of the best pitchers ever to wear a Cubs uniform. Most Cubs fans are idiots at evaluating players, and nearly all of the Chicago media share the same affliction.

and that is an accurate evaluation of the fans and media...which is a part of the equation that needs to be considered when signing a player.

Perkins said:

No, it doesn't. All that needs to be considered is payroll and talent. Fuck the fans and fuck the media. The fans will eventually get used to a good team and root for it, and if they don't because of the people on it, then they don't deserve a winning team.

Your argument doesn't work. You want a winning team...but you don't want a winning team because the fans don't deserve it.

Perkins said:

I want a winning team. I'm just saying that fans who can't appreciate talented players on their team don't deserve a winner. I want the Cubs to be good every year. I could care less whether other Cubs fans like the team. Even if the players kick puppies in their spare time, I don't care as long as they win.

I'm honly hittingreplybecauseithinkthisisstartingtolookreallyfunny

thisyearcub said:

Perkins, you are coming strong with the truth today.

I continue to be baffled as to why every other player in baseball is held personally responsible for their failings, yet Milton Bradley is not.

Look, he begged to come here. He was going to do everything differently. We were barely out of ST when he stared flapping his jaws to the press about how now one likes him and how unfair life is. He got suspended. He kept flapping his gums. Lou got pissed at him. He made ridiculous Ronny Cedeno-esque mistakes in the field. And he can't hit anything.

How is that the fault of the fans and media? If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kichen. Go stuff envelopes or something.

Seriously--do you think Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols give a rat's ass what's written about them in the newspaper?

Just shut up and play already.

Perkins said:

I don't hold players personally accountable for their actions off the field. I just assume they're all terrible human beings. But most people are terrible human beings.

I agree with your last statement. That's why I'm such a happy person. Doesn't it show?

Thank you for quoting Harry Truman.

*proud*

"Just shut up and play already"? I didn't know he said that.

Well you should, its a classic.

who is cashner?

thisyearcub said:

Andrew Cashner, a reliever who should be called up immediately.

Andrew Cashner is not a reliever. He has started 18 games this year with no relieve appearances.

And the Cubs shouldn't change that.

thisyearcub said:

Correct. But for the Cubs' purposes now he should be is what I was saying. Obv. he wouldn't be called up to start.

As I said yesterday, the Cubs need him in relief now and he can still start. Just like Price w/ the Rays and Joba w/ the Yankees.

He'd be a solid addition to the pen once rosters expand and for the division chase.

thisyearcub said:

"start eventually" is what I meant.

If the cubs want this kid to be a started, they should keep him down in the minors to work on all of his pitches. I'd hate to have Cashner, who has tons of up side to him, to begin to suffer the same fate as Spellcheck who now has no idea what his future role will be. They bring him up for a couple weeks to pitch relief...then the send him down to "work on all of his pitches" and stretch him out as a starter.

If you bring Cashner up now, he may very well suffer the same fate.

And I'm not entirely sure he's ready for the big leagues yet anyway.

I don't want to risk this kids future by rushing him to the bigs to help a team that will probably still win this division by 4 games.

thisyearcub said:

You are more confident than I in the bullpen right now. I think this division comes down to a 1 or 2 game lead, and Cashner could be the difference.

But I hope you're right, that the Cubs win the Central by 4.

I hope I'm right too. It's quite frightening that I am so optimistic about the end of this season. It's not like me.

I fully expect it to end in disaster. Painful, painful disaster.

You're probably right. ugh.

Perkins said:

He was actually a reliever when drafted. So he could probably do that right now. Which would probably be good, given the bullpen's tendency to pour gasoline on a fire.

Right. Closed at TCU.

Perkins said:

He was the Cubs' first round pick in 2008. He's probably ready for relief now (he was drafted as a reliever, and in relief his fastball sits in the upper 90s), but the Cubs have been stretching him out with the intention of making him a starter.

thisyearcub said:

Mets win 9-0. Would be nice for Cubs to pick up a game tonight given the next six games by both teams. Cubs have Rockies and Phillies, while Cards get Pirates and Reds.

The Mets did something right! Excellent! Everything's coming up Millhouse!

Splash! Spalsh! Splash!

secdelahc said:

anyone want to take my online classes for me? I'm just starting the pretest portion and it is confusing the hell out of me. I don't like accounting....

I'll do it if you want to take over debugging some of the software I'm working on right now.

secdelahc said:

It's a deal!

Just so you know, most of my counting skills disappeared the moment I left college...(as my inaccurate statistical analysis here often demostrates)...

So I'm not sure I'll help you pass the class.

secdelahc said:

That's okay. I can't do it either. But maybe you'll have a better chance than me at passing.

baturkey said:

I think I'm the only programmer I know who thinks debugging is the best part.

no...I work with a couple who love it.

I'm just in this miserable career for the money.

It is fun sometimes, until you reach a point where the bug is just too fucking elusive and you have to give up

I don't have that option...or the lights go out on the "Tonight Show".

Yeah see I mostly just code for my own fun little projects, I'm not a professional.

I really miss those day when I did fun little projects. Because of work, the idea of doing any programming on my own just makes me sick.

We need a new topic.

The best sports name to come around in a long time:

Meet Fab Melo!

I want a "New Comment" feature :(

This has been an active day here...after a very slow start due to the technical glitches.

I was thinking the same thing...

thisyearcub said:

Well, here's your news for today.

B.J. Ryan was just released. Also, Miles has been activated (and will start tonight---NO!!!!!!), and Stevens was sent down.

thisyearcub said:

Apparently Ryan's velocity is shite, but I guess it was worth a tryout. Anyway, Tribune was wrong again (about who's going down), but that's not surprising.

And with that, I bid you all adieu and a good evening.

Wow...so much for Ryan...

You know, the cubs are really burning through the options on some of these young players.

Max Power said:

There real is no set number of options. Players have option years.
If a player is said to be "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons. Beginning with his fourth as a pro, he'll have to clear waivers to be sent down again.

summerguy said:

Thanks for explainin that Max... I too was confused on how that worked.

whoa---another Max Power? How's that going to work? One of you is going to have to be Trent Steele.