Chicago Cubs Headlines for Wednesday

NATIONALS-CUBS

In last night's game thread, Julie asked "Are we still in it?" And last night, the Cubs answered, with a resounding no. Let's go to Milton Bradley for comment:

"That was a Rodney King beat down tonight," said Cubs right fielder Milton Bradley, never one to shy from the politically incorrect.

When asked if the Cubs' situation was demoralizing, Bradley responded: "I don't have a politically correct answer for that, so I can't answer it."

But Milton didn't stop while he was ahead, and went on to say:

"It's hard to be comfortable when you don't get a hit and get booed every time," he said. "When I go home and look in the mirror, I like what I see. My family is there. I have people I can talk to who are very supportive, in spite of everything and all the adversity and the hatred you face on a daily basis. But I'll be all right. I always have."

Now on to cheerier news - Alfonso Soriano is due for an MRI on his sore knee, which hopefully has been the cause of all his woes this year:

''I hope it's nothing serious. I want to see the doctor and see,'' he said. ''I don't like surgery.''

(snip)

He said he was told earlier in the season that going on the disabled list for two weeks might clear up the problem.

''I said, 'I don't want to take two weeks; I want to play,''' he said.

I don't know what to say. I guess I'd want to play, too, but if going on the disabled list for two weeks could've saved us from Soriano's August, I wish he'd taken the two week vacation.

And much to the chagrin of Doc Blume, Crane Kenney will be around next year:

According to the court documents filed by Tribune Co., "the contract of the chairman of the Cubs is being modified and assumed in connection with consummation of the formation agreement." That means Kenney is back, but for how long and what role he will assume with the club is not spelled out.

Kenney was unavailable for comment, and a Tribune Co. spokesperson declined to comment.

So he'll be back, but not necessarily as chairman. Does that leave you with any hope, Doc?

As for who should replace Kenney as chairman, look no further than Steve Rosenbloom for all your answers:

Steve Stone.

Nobody knew the National League better than Stone when MacPhail was brought in. The National League in that ballpark, certainly, after all his years of broadcasting Cubs games. And nobody knew the Cubs better.

But MacPhail opted to give Lynch a learner's permit, and how'd that work out for everybody?

Stone is guy who grew in the Baltimore system, where the philosophy was, if we need more hitting, we'll get more pitching instead. And I believe he has a lot more self-respect than everybody else at Clark and Addision so that if Carlos Zambrano was going to be lazy, then he would be fined, suspended and/or traded for such stupidity and insubordination. And I don't think Stone would go shopping for overpaid hood ornaments such as Alfonso Soriano and Milton Bradley.

It might be painful and a little time-consuming at first, but I believe Stone ultimately would build a baseball team, not a freak show.

You go girl! Tell 'em! We want a baseball team, not a freak show! Because Steve Stone has always wanted to work in the front office, and I'm sure he'd love to hop on board now.

kiwibob said:

Yesterdays game was the first one I have failed to even watch, listen or, at any point, check the score during its course. I did this because I don't care about this season any more...

I was also enormously productive and remarkably serene....

Until, that is, when I looked at my laptop and saw the final score.
At this point an unfortunate gentleman from the State Library sent me a number of e-mails in response to a part time librarian position I had looked at 6 weeks ago...
Here is how I replied...

Dear Zeinab,
Thank you for your reply.
I am glad to hear that my qualifications and experience were "carefully considered".
I am also grateful for the personalised reply, it seems that HR departments too often treat potential job applicants like sheep and use form letters and standard responses to those who are unsuccessful, rather than writing it themselves.
However, I couldn't help but notice your kind e-mail informing me that "in this instance my job application was not successful" was sent to me 65 times.
I certainly feel "encouraged to apply for similar positions advertised in the future" but perhaps I should send my CV off to the HR department where my computer skills appear to be urgently required.
Yours gratefully
Robert

Does this mean the Cubs turn me into a snarky, bad person?
Or are people in "Human Resources" just bad at their jobs and deserve it?

Can't... Can't it be both?

Karen said:

Bob, you crack me up...I am in HR and I think the answer to your questions is both.

kiwibob said:

I suspect you are right.
I was also a bit gutted too because the State Library is beautiful and I could have worked 2 days a week there while doing all my other work and it would have given me a break...
The other reason was EVERY librarian in Sydney appears to be a miserable grouch!
I'd be the cheeriest, most helpful librarian ever... I mean, you're giving out free books! What's there to be so miserable about?

I've just read the above...
Obviously if I HAD ended up working there I would have to have made sure I never checked Cubs results during those two days...

kiwibob said:

Oops...
And I suspect the HR person involved was actually a lady rather than a "gentleman"....
Zero cultural brownie points for me then....

What in the world makes anyone think Steve Stone would be a good team president? Just because someone can talk about baseball doesn't mean they have any concept of how to run an organization the size of a MLB team. And while I recognize he runs some fairly successful restaurant businesses, it just isn't the same...

Well, judging by Soto's expanding waist size, the last thing this team needs is a guy that runs successful restaurants.

antuck said:

Stone would be great at any level in the organization. Steve has a great baseball mind. He knows baseball inside and out. I would love to see him in charge of the Cubs.

Milton, *I* love you.

I don't love your slugging percentage, but I love that you get on base and say crazy things.

thisyearcub said:

He's definitely one of the most open and honest players, you don't see that a whole lot. I respect him for that. Unfortunately, I imagine we're seeing the last days of Milton in a Cubs uniform, which is the wrong move.

is he really getting booed at every at bat? its a real question not me being snarky

the game I was at he got a good response, of course they won that game so...

thisyearcub said:

I don't think so. He was talking about on the days where he struggles, going 0-4. I don't know if he got cheers last night, I imagine all the Cubs got booed. I'm not sure what booing solves, but that's a topic that has been run into the ground on this site and others.

right now I don't think he's really on the top of everyone's list of players to blame, he probably starts out at a lower level of support being new this season and all, and I know he probably expected this team to ddo really well and thus be adored, but when a team loses to the Nationals 15-6 do any of these players expect unconditional love and devotion?

if the team was a bunch of no name young kids who looked adorable out there playing against the big guys there would probably be a section of the fan base that would love them for that, but thats not this team

And he isn't booed every at-bat. But he tends to ignore the fact that the fans at Wrigley have actually been ecstatic when he has a good game...much more so than Jacques Jones ever did (and Jacques' first 2 seasons in Chicago were vastly superior to what Milton has done this season).

But the truth is, just about everyone on this team is being booed right now. In fact, the crowd probably should have started booing Zambrano when he hit that home run...because everyone should know by now that is a bad omen for the rest of the game.

berselius said:

"Honestly, the only thing I blame Milton Bradley for is making people think, before this season started, that he was the missing link to move this team to the next level. And I'm not even sure he did that consciously."

Milton Bradley has nothing to do with this - it's all the media (and indirectly, Jim Hendry).

"But back to the point, does Milton Bradley want to stay in Chicago for 2 more seasons?"

You'd have to think not, which sucks. Great job, Cubs fans!

thisyearcub said:

I will say that yes, Bradley brings some things upon himself. More than likely, he'll be made the scapegoat of this season, which sucks b/c he has really been fun to watch during the second half.

As to your last question, I doubt it. I don't think anyone would after the way he was treated by the media. It's unbelievable to me that some Cubs fans would truly rather see Sam Fuld in the outfield over Milton Bradley. That gets an enormous WTF.

the answer to wtf

Bradley $7,000,000
Fuld $ 401,000

if I'm going to watch a team lose, I'd rather do it for cheaper

The most frightening thing, we still have to pay Bradley, Zambrano, Soriano, and Dempster next year...and actually pay them more money than this season. That means ticket prices will likely have to go up again next year by about 5 to 10 percent. Woohoo!

pay 'em off and start all over, I bet they're going to go over the lux tax limit next year making the whole endeavor even more expensive

does anyone actually think that any of those players will earn their pay next season?

Honestly, I believe Soriano will likely have a big season next year.

The rest? Not sure.

I could be a Pirate's fan and get my heart broken a lot cheaper

hell, in college varsity sports tickets were free, I got my heart broken for the cost of a little lack of sleep

I have actually thought that exact same thing...

Any they have a great ballpark (I think it is currently the best in baseball). Easy to get too. Pittsburgh isn't too bad of a town any more as well. And it is enjoyable to watch future Cubs' star players.

Go Pirates!

I'm joining this bandwagon.

thisyearcub said:

Come on, FB, you're better than that. Don't join that crowd.

I didn't say I wanted Fuld over Bradley, but thats partly because Bradley isn't the first (or second) player on the team I want to send packing

Proggy said:

Then you must want the mediocrity to continue beyond this season.

answer to fb

Fuld: $401,000
Progs: Free (okay, maybe a beer)

My kitty got out last night and ran away.

My heart is broken.

My mom's did the same thing, and she called me crying, but she came back two days later. You never know, she may just be out for an adventure.

that's horrible, Julie. :(

I hope he/she finds its way back.

Karen said:

We have two kitties, and one got out a couple of years ago and stayed out for a whole day. The kids were very upset and so was the cat who stayed behind. He just sat at the door and meowed most of the day. We slept downstairs with the screen door open, and waited. At about 4am, the cat who stayed behind started yowling (is that a word? really loud howling for a cat). Here came the other cat...dirty and looking a little, um, tired from a busy night. We think he got out, found a friend, and just had some good kitty sex. He came home when he was worn out.

MN Pat said:

Be sure to check and re-check at all the shelters and veterinary offices, even the ones not near you. I used to volunteer for the Anti-Cruelty Society's Lost and Found program, and lots of people give up after a week or less. Sometimes it takes that long for the poor kitty to come out of hiding. And, like others have pointed out, perhaps he/she will come back on her own. Keep hope alive!

9 games out. That is hilarious.

thisyearcub said:

Pretty much. That's how I look at it. Just gotta laugh at it all.

Yep. You know what else is funny? 8.5 in the Wildcard.

Bwahahaha this team sucks and I hate it.

thisyearcub said:

I'm really looking forward to the Mets series this weekend. 0-0 game in 21 innings, everyone just starts falling out on the field b/c of random injuries.

What is really funny are the people that think this team can turn everything around and actually get into the playoffs.

Yes, that is precisely what I am laughing at.

Shut up.

I replied to last night's poll with Bit Me because my head said they are done, but in my heart I didn't want to believe it

I believe now

Steve Stone should not run the Cubs...or any other baseball club for that matter.

Period.

agreed

I hope Steve Stone (who I actually still like a bit) has a long happy life in the booth next to that goofball, Hawk.

millertime said:

"Stone is guy who grew in the Baltimore system, where the philosophy was, if we need more hitting, we'll get more pitching instead."

How is this supposed to inspire confidence? If we need hitting, Steve Stone is going to get some pitching? What's that, you're hungry? Here, drink some water.

These "overpaid hood ornaments" helped win 2 division titles in a row. I think most of these players will have rebound seasons.

Do we really want to see an outfield of Fuld, Fukudome, and Johnson? And a starting rotation with Lilly, Wells, Harden, and 2 other guys? How does this make our team better?

millertime said:

Ted Kennedy is reported dead. Wow.

yeah, overnight, the morning news here was so sad

He killed a woman.

Also, I didn't have him in my deadpool. Booo.

millertime said:

Here he comes. Here comes John Wayne. “I’m not going to cry about my Pa. I’m going to build an airport - put my name on it.” Why, gravedigger? So you can fly away from your feelings? You can keep them bottled up, Gravedigger, but they will come out sometimes in the most unexpected... Hey, where the [bleep] are my hard boiled eggs!?!?!

thanks for that gd

just saying he was my senator and the news this morning was sad, and yes, they do talk about the good and bad of Kennedy

He championed some causes that, without his help, wouldn't have become law (or wouldn't have at that time). He's made an undeniable imprint on our society.

And he was able to do so after killing a woman because he came from a rich, influential, bootlegging family.

Oh, I'm realizing why this sounds really bad.

I *like* Senator Kennedy. He drinks like me, swears like me, and lives the life I wish I had. I'm not celebrating his death (maybe had he beein in my deadpool I would be, because I'd be in the lead)

millertime said:

So, the lesson we should learn here is never go after big name free agents?

Steve Stone will bring in baseball PLAYERS, not BASEBALL players. He'll get us pitchers, not throwers. It may take some time, but I think in 10-20 years Stone can turn us into the baseball power that is the White Sox.

I think the lessen we've learned is the Cubs are not as good as the Yankees in buying World Series rings

Hey...it took the Yankees a long time to figure out how to do that well...They pretty much sucked during the 80's and the early 90's before they put it together. I put the Cubs of the last 6 years in the same category as those yankees teams. In fact, I think the Yankees have actually reverted a bit from their best days in the late 90's.

The secret is to build a farm system, have about 1/2 your players be home grown talent (Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Posada), then fill in the holes with the best free agents in the game.

The Red Sox have started doing the same thing.

But the first step would be for the Cubs to rebuild their farm system and to have 3 to 4 all stars emerge from it. (A stable management structure helps with this too.)

the Red Sox make me want to cry, or throw things, its jealousy and it isn't pretty

Yeah...I think that is how I feel about them now. I actually really liked them. And I was happy for them when the won the WS in 2004. But enough already. It's time for them to start being bad. It's our turn now.

I can agree with this.

Which is why, in my addled mind, there are only two options this offseason, blow it up or shore it up.

You and I say this every offseason but they never listen to us.

Proggy said:

The Yankees have yet to buy one this decade (though there is an excellent chance they win it all this year).

Their 90s success was mostly homegrown.

oh...is that what he'll do...just like that?

wow.

I'm on board.

thisyearcub said:

Wow. Even the ABATT folks agree that Milton is being unfairly crapped on by the fans. Crazy.

Ed Nickow said:

He's overpaid, and then says incredibly stupid things. I was coming around to actually liking Milt - or at least not hating him as much as Soriano - given his recent performance on the field.

But his comments yesterday really put me over the edge. He sounds like a spoiled brat. An excerpt from the rant on my blog ...

Here's my suggestion
Tell the Cubs that you're sorry
Tear up the contract

Then you can go home
Your family still loves you
Cubs fans never will

he still needs that PR rep

Or just have someone put duct tape over his mouth.

millertime said:

How is he overpaid? How much should he have been paid?

Honestly, he should have probably been paid about $1 million a season more than any of the other right fielders that were out there...not $5 million.

I gotta figure out how to get Jim Hendry to hire me

Did you have a career year this season?

If so, you can pretty much be guaranteed about $30 to $40 million over the next 3 or 4 years.

millertime said:

I'm just saying, there are lots of things that go into contracts. Age of player, position of player, past production of player, with most emphasis being placed on the most current year's results. Also, current market conditions. When signing a free agent, there is always a premium that must be paid.

Here are some other deals that were signed:
1. Raul Ibanez
3 years/$31.5M (2009-11)

* 3 years/$31.5M (2009-11)
o $2M signing bonus
o no-trade protection
o 09:$6.5M, 10:$11.5M, 11:$11.5M
2. Adam Dunn:
2 years/$20M (2009-10)

3. Bobby Abreu
1 year/$5M (2009)

Raul Ibanez is old and can't play defense. Not an option in RF. Dunn is good, but again, doesn't play defense. Abreu is old, and plays no defense. Out of these contracts, I would take Milton Bradley and his basically identical contract over any of these others. Milton was the best RF on the market, so he got good money. What other outfielder was there this past free agency? The market gave Bradley the deal, not Jim Hendry going out on a limb. Bradley would not have signed for $5 mil a year, as awesome as that would have been. There is still plenty of time for Bradley to live up to his contract.

thisyearcub said:

I think when it's all said and done, Bradley's contract will look like a steal. Unfortunately, Bradley will be in Tampa or San Francisco and the Cubs will be stuck with Fontenot 2.0 in Sam Fuld. And save it, I'll already reply for you:

BUT HE MAKES DIVING CATCHES! ZOMGZ! SCRAPPY! NOT SELFISH! SINGLES MACHINE!

can Fuld play left? because I say keep Bradley, trade Soriano

One of the reasons you might trade Bradley is the remaining contract...

You basically would have to pay Soriano to play for another team for 5 years...Bradley you only need to do that for 2 years. You have to realize that the Cubs are probably going to have to eat at least 1/2 of the remaining contracts if they trade either of these players. Bradley, that would be about $11 million or so...for Soriano, it would be about $80 million.

Honestly, I'd probably trade Bradley when looking at those figures. Then you hope that Soriano has a good year soon, and then try to trade him when his value is a bit higher and the Cubs would end up eating less of this contract.

One other thing to remember...it has continued to be said that soriano has been playing hurt for much of the season. He hopefully can put things back together then. Bradley has had one of his healthiest seasons ever.

wishful thinking on my part doc, wishful thinking

and I know you believe Soriano is going to have a good season next year, I am just in a not so optimistic mood right now, if it is due to injury I wish he had stepped up to deal with it early

Soriano's injury...

How it was handled was entirely the fault of Cubs management. We've seen this repeatedly with Derrek Lee early in the season, as well as Milton Bradley, Zambrano and now Soriano.

These players, when hurt, are not doing the club any good playing when they are hurt (with the possible exception of Ramirez) and it is Lou's job to sit them and Hendry needs to DL them so they actually recover. We have seen, with the exception of 3rd base, that there is enough depth on this team to absorb a 15 stint on the DL by anyone.

Entirely management's fault that Soriano was not rested for 2 weeks to get that knee healthy regardless of what he (soriano) wanted to do.

thisyearcub said:

Agree on this. Players are going to want to play no matter what. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and DL someone, think of the future.

ok, I'll agree with you 2 on that

Um...

Damn...

People agree with me on something.

This is strange.

Proggy said:

It was due to injury and it's a no-win situation for him. If he doesn't play because of lingering knee issues, then everybody kills him for not sucking it up while Ramirez is out. Since he played and struggled, fans like you want to run him out of town.

Granted, he's a maddening ballplayer at times, but in the final analysis he's pretty damn good. The Cubs aren't going to get anybody to bite on that contract at this juncture unless they eat a majority of it, which would be foolish. Better to see if he rebounds next year, which I think he will, as will the rest of the team.

fans like me? thats a low blow

fine, next year when he does great you and doc can tell me I told you so, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong

Proggy said:

Tell you what, if we come back next year and everybody's slaughtered, I owe you a Coke.

I don't care if I'm right or wrong...I'm going to cheer for the Pirates.

that is why you fail.

It's a small sample size...but Sam Fuld's OBP is equal to that of Bradley's...

and he is slugging just 30 points lower than bradley...

So as of right now, offensively, you wouldn't lose much and defensively you gain a ton.

The comparisons aren't very good at this point do to Fuld small sample size and unproven track record...but as of right now, you don't lose much with Fuld playing over Bradley.

millertime said:

You didn't lose much playing Fontenot over DeRosa last season. Fontenot plays better defense, and out-hit DeRosa last year.

thisyearcub said:

60 career MLB at-bats doesn't even count as "small sample size." Minute, maybe? Or miniscule?

Proggy said:

But you just essentially ripped your own argument down while making it.

Small sample size is everything. There's a reason Sam Fuld is 28 yrs old with 60 career ABs at the major league level.

And you always lose putting Fuld ahead of Bradley because Bradley is capable of a lot more than Fuld is.

I tend to do that...which is why everyone should just ignore everything I say.

millertime said:

To this point, Bradley is 15th in MLB in OPS amongst RF. None of the other players on the list ahead of him were available in FA, except for Bobby Abreu. And if you saw that coming, more power to you. He is ahead of Ryan Ludwick. This is after his worst start to a season ever. With his career numbers, he would be a top ten RF, top 5 if he plays like he did over the last 3 seasons.

If he were hitting for even a tiny bit of power, few people would be complaining. He is getting on base.

His OPS+ right now is 99 -- he's not *bad*. In fact, that's better than anyone but Lee and Fukudome (and not including Ramirez due to lack of at-bats)

thisyearcub said:

Well, get a haiku ready for something about Sam Fuld and being a 70-win team.

And I also agree with millertime, I think Bradley is performing just fine with his contract. The problem is too many people expected him to be a power hitter, which he's not.

does it matter?

again, I have no real issue with Bradley other than he needs to learn how to say no comment, because 90% of what he says seems to come out wrong, but at the end of the season does it matter if they end at 81 wins or 75? either way we aren't watching the Cubs in October

thisyearcub said:

What I'm saying is Bradley on the Cubs gives them a significantly better chance to go to the playoffs over Fuld, or Fox, or Johnson. Fuld being in the lineup consistently gets you some good catches and maybe an ESPN top play #3, but ulitmately, more losses.

And the problem is, Bradley tried the no comment approach but got chastized by the media earlier in the season for not talking. Catch-22. A PR person could help, I'd like to see him just respond to every question with some random word.

Example:
Dumbass Chicago journalist: Milton, do you feel like you're playing up to your contract?
Bradley: Purple

and how are those better chances working out for ya? (sorry, that was snarky)

really, Bradley isn't the problem, the team is the problem, Bradley is new, he has had some issues in his past and he started at a huge disadvantage in the "get people to like me" game, I think he doesn't see the fans that do support him, probably because a lot of the people in his face after a game aren't those people

but also, did nobody tell him that the bleachers at Wrigley are going to heckle him because thats what they do? its like going to Philly and thinking they are going to throw kisses at you, or Boston and thinking that you can blend in. if I don't like hot humid weather I'm not moving to Miami

thisyearcub said:

I'm just talking about overall. Like WAR, etc. Agree, he should have seen some of this coming. Hell, Chone Figgins specifically had Chicago on his no-trade list because of the idiot racist remarks.

that second part makes me sad and angry

there are certain things that are completely unacceptable

I think Aaron Miles needs to talk to reporters and tell them that Cub fans are racist against him because he's white...and that's why they boo him all the time.

Oh...but Aaron Miles just flat out sucks.

Proggy said:

and yet, I don't hear too many boos thrown his way.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

He got booed pretty heavily upon striking out last night. It made me smile.

I disagree...he's been getting booed a ton as of late...and was just before he went on the DL too.

Bradley's potential is far above where he has been playing. Fuld or Fox (forget Mr. Broken Foot) are playing about as well as we could ever expect them to, and, in fact, are likely to be worse if played every day (just like Fontenot).

I've said this before too...if the Cubs turn this around, it will because players like Bradley start playing consistently well and not because Fuld or Fox have replaced them. Fuld or Fox will not get this team into the playoffs.

You know what is even more surprising about that is the fact the cousin Al has actually told his ditto heads that Bradley has to go...and he did that fairly early in the season too.

Why is MSG legal?

why is high-fructose corn syrup legal?

Why is nicotine legal?

because American want the choice to have something yummy that is really bad for you?

except nicotine, thats not yummy, I have no excuse for that

Jesus, apparently 75% of the calls Kennedy's office is getting are "glad you're dead."

I have sort of a fascination with all things morbid (see my deadpool), but that's just tactless.

Well, I'm also tactless. But still.

jtbwriter said:

Afternoon-
That's horrible-I hadn't heard about the monsters who do things like that..karma will take care of them. Sen Kennedy did too much good in his life to have that kind of stuff happen-he spoke and fought for those of us with no affordable health care for over 30 years.
Dominick Dunne just passed over too...I hate to think who's going to go next. Sigh.
Nicotine is just another word for coffin nail...but my dad got an extra 8 years with us when he quit. The tobacco companies count on smokers not doing that until it's too late.

Proggy said:

Mary Jo Kopechne could not be reached for comment.

Bradley is currently the third or fourth best player on the team (behind Lee, probably Fukudome, and Ramirez when he's playing). $10m/yr isn't too crazy these days for a guy who gets on base 40% of the time. Yes, I wish he hit for more power. In the end, he puts up with a lot of shit when there are players (here's looking at you, Soriano) who are doing a lot worse (and getting paid a lot more).

That, quite frankly, is my bottom line on this.

Well said, my friend.

honestly, I'd probably put Lilly and Harden, and Theriot (gulp) ahead of Bradley through this point of the season...

I think $10 million is still a bit high.

I guess the big difference between Bradley and Soriano is that Soriano, in his first year, struggled mightily for the first 2 months of the season, and I hate to tell everyone this, but the crowds at Wrigley gave him quite a bit of grief.

Soriano didn't complain. He then turned it around and has had almost 2 years of damn good numbers. Then in June of this year he started sucking again. But people remember that he has performed very well and been close to a superstar caliber player for this team for a period of time. And even in his struggles this year, Soriano has not blamed anyone (including himself) for the problems he has had.

Bradley has not had a great season, and has no history of playing well for the cubs for an extended period of time. If he could have just let it go when the crowd was on him early in the season, at the point he would turn his fortunes around, this city would have loved him.

But that isn't Bradley's style, and never has been. Which is something that Hendry should have taken into consideration when he signed him.

Oh, I was just comparing him to the hitters. I hate trying to compare hitters and pitchers.

Proggy said:

It's still too early in the contract to do a postmortem.

that is true...but I really figure that the Bradley experiment is going to go the way of Jacques Jones...who was my model before this season started of what would happen to Bradley.

Proggy said:

It could finish up that way, but, again, the thing Jacque Jones didn't have going for him was the talent level of Milton Bradley.

I disagree...Jacques Jones's career numbers aren't too different from Bradley's.

berselius said:

Huh?

Jones career wOBA: .332
Bradley career wOBA: .358
Jones career WAR: 9.5
Bradley career WAR: 22.8

Just for fun:
DeRosa career wOBA: .336
DeRosa career WAR: 11.1

If anyone has similar numbers to Jones, it's Mark DeRosa

How you like me now?

My boy is wicked smart!

hmm, I think I'm kinda honored that progs just disagreed with everything I said today

I get giddy when he comes around.

Proggy said:

nothing personal fb, I know your heart is in the right place.

This has easily been one of the most frustrating years I've ever watched. More than 2004 even and I thought that one would never get topped.

Honestly, I found 2004 harder to handle...because I believed in 2004 the team was better than the previous year. This year I really thought the team wasn't as good as last year. And I also feared that the continued ownership crap would be a problem, which it apparently was.

If this team doesn't turn it around next year, then I'll be a lot more upset.

Yeah, but next year the team is going to be saddled with even more horrendous contracts, and possibly even less wiggle room.

Proggy said:

If the team doesn't turn it around next year, there will be a purge and it will be easier to do.

Lee and Lilly will be free agents. Fukudome and Bradley will be in the last years of their contracts. Ramirez has an opt out clause. Plenty of veteran talent to deal at midseason if it all goes to hell next year.

jtbwriter said:

Julie, I'm sorry about your kitty-I hope it just was chasing something. I'll talk to St. Anthony about it.
Speaking of St. Anthony, I'll also mention the Cubs missing their pitching, too.

thisyearcub said:

Man, what a day in the Cublogosphere.

Here, the Milton Bradley argument ensues, as it always does.

Over at ACB and ABATT, there's an intense discussion of booing and why it has to stop.

And at sorry Dave Kaplan's blog, he and others have painted themselves into a corner.

Then, to top it all off, the return of Progs! Good times. Almost makes me forget the Cubs can't beat the Nationals.

I'm convinced Kaplan makes shit up to generate controversy. He has become, hands down, my least favorite blogger on the Internets that I have yet discovered.

Being unlikeable generally gets you more hits. Everyone runs over there to tell you what an ass you are.

smwojoz said:

Worked on me. I stirred up a bit of a storm over there (with oog's help). I just couldn't stand the fact that he doesn't understand what the term "hate" means in this sense. It was infuriating. Of course my initial response was a little heated. Though I don't think calling Kap an "idiot" or a "piss poor excuse foe a human being" warranted having my response deleted.

thisyearcub said:

Yeah, I should not feed the monster by clicking on his blog, but it's just funny right now b/c he and the manager or whoever pretty much tripped on their own words and now can't do much about it.

Let's get Miles' Musings on ChicagoNow. That'd be worth reading. Free Bruce Miles!

Does that mean I can start calling you names?

I read his blog for about 3 days before I just gave up.

millertime said:

I actually think next year could be a good year. I think Soriano, Soto, Bradley, and Ramirez should have bounce back years (kinda like Lee has had this year). Hopefully Zambrano has learned something this year and decides to get in better shape. I like our starting rotation next year. I think Marmol or Guzman should be able to win the closer's job next season. Plus there are some young arms that should be ready next season, and Closers aren't as expensive. The Cubs basically need to aquire a 2B, otherwise the rest of their problems I think will be addressed in house.

I have a hard time trusting that a team that flat out can't hit this year is suddenly going to be able to hit next year.

The reason I have faith that they will turn it around is because this is fairly close to the same team that score a ton of runs last season.

Do you think Lee can have another good season?

One thing I noticed is that *nobody* currently on the team is older than 33 (includes Lee and Lilly). So, nobody should be over-the-hill yet.

I do think that if Soriano was hurt, and can be not hurt next year, he can be his usual .850 OPS self. Which would be... better.

And if Ramirez can stay good for a full season, that's worth several wins.

Of course, next year the hitters will all stay healthy, but all of the pitchers' arms will fall off.

thisyearcub said:

It's pretty much the same team as two years ago. Subtract DeRosa and add Bradley. And that team led the NL in wins (and no, not b/c of DeRosa!)

Just have to hope the injury bug flies his ass away. And get Marco Scutaro. And bullpen help.

thisyearcub said:

Fukudome had a good bounceback year as well. That's what I predict for Bradley, provided they keep him. Get used to everything, go out and do yo thang!