Chicago Cubs Headlines for Tuesday

Gorzelanny Injured Against the Rockies in Denver
"Are you just faking because you're not pitching well?"

We were just hoping for a split, right? Well, even that didn't happen, as Gorzy failed to come through for the Cubs on Monday night, resulting in an 11-5 loss to the Rockies:

The Cubs started this three-city road trip with a half-game lead in the NL Central and feeling good about themselves with seven victories in eight games.

They ended it Monday with an 11-5 loss to the Rockies and behind three games in both the Central and wild-card races, having lost six of the 10 games, a starting pitcher and third baseman.

"We just have to go home and regroup, period," manager Lou Piniella said.

So what the hell happened to Gorzy?

It was not a pretty ending for the Cubs, who were already behind 4-0 when starter Tom Gorzelanny left in the second inning after his right foot was hit by a ground ball.

X-rays were negative and it doesn't appear that he will join Carlos Zambrano and Ted Lilly on the disabled list, or even Aramis Ramirez, who missed the final two games with shoulder soreness. In fact, Gorzelanny said he planned on making his Cubs' home debut Saturday.

And looking to be outdone, the Cubs allowed Troy Tulowitzki to hit for the cycle. However, they didn't let him win the first instant-replay challenge in Cub history:

The Rockies' Troy Tulowitzki hit a ball down the left-field line over the wall and near the foul pole in the second inning. The umpires originally called it a foul ball. After Colorado manager Jim Tracy argued, the umpires went to the replay room, where they upheld the call.

Tulowitzki wound up with a 2-run single on the way to hitting for the cycle and driving in 7 runs.

Maybe if they'd called it a home run, Tulowitzki wouldn't have had the cycle, though the Cubs would've lost by at least 2 more runs. I'm not sure which is worse.

And not only that, the whole shebang could get worse for the Cubs should Aramis Ramirez's shoulder choose not to respond to treatment:

Having missed the last 2 1/2 games of the Cubs' trip, Ramirez will see team doctors before the start of the Philadelphia series Tuesday night at Wrigley Field.

The options are to play through some pain, have a cortisone shot that will sideline him two or three more days or be placed on the disabled list.

"We'll see how it responds [to Monday off]," Ramirez said. "I'm a little better, but I wouldn't be able to help the team if I played."

At least we know Jake Fox will get playing time, and not Aaron Miles, don't we?  Yea, though we walk through the valley of the shadow of sore shoulders, we shall fear no back pain:

Opening Day starter Carlos Zambrano, who was scratched from a start Friday because of the back soreness that limited him to three innings in his previous start, had an epidural administered in the area of his bulging disk Sunday night. The Cubs anticipate he won't need any longer than the 15 days required on the disabled list.

''The report I got was that the MRI he took over the weekend didn't show any difference from the one he took in 2006,'' Piniella said. ''When we get home, we'll see how well the shot worked, and then we can plan some activities for him so we can get him back to pitching. So it doesn't seem to us that it's serious.''

Fear not, for I bring good tidings of great joy! Instead of crafty lefthander (think instant death for Cubs hitters), the Chicago National League ballclub will only be facing Pedro Martinez on Wednesday:

As if the series needed any more hype, the Phillies have penciled in veteran Pedro Martinez for Wednesday's game, which sends former Cub Jamie Moyer to the bullpen.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner will be making his first appearance since Sept. 25 with the Mets. He was signed by the Phillies on July 15 and was 1-1 with a 5.11 ERA while rehabbing his shoulder in the minors.

"I know a different Pedro," said Alfonso Soriano, who is hitting .163 and has 15 strikeouts in 43 at-bats against Martinez when he was pitching for Boston. "He didn't have the same stuff [the last few years]. I hope he doesn't have the same stuff he did in 2001 and 2003."

berselius said:

I'm really excited to see Pedro pitch. I know he's just a shadow of his former self, but he's one of the best pitchers of all time. I wouldn't mind seeing him show up and blow the Cubs away, old-school Pedro style since the Cubs are probably going to lose this game anyway with f7 facing the best offense in the NL

Umbra said:

I'm more excited to see Jamie Moyer coming out of the pen. It's like you're watching a game from 8 years ago.

It's more like watching a game from 18 years ago.

8 years ago Moyer was winning like 20 games as a starter for Lou Pinella I think.

I like Jamie Moyer, he can be used to counteract all sorts of baseball truisms, and makes you expand your definition of words, like fast

The Cubs without Ramirez might as well be the Reds.

I nominate this for post of the day

millertime said:

This team is living in a world of darkness.

Cubs record since Aaron Miles return from the DL:

1-4

Number of Cubs players injured because Aaron Miles returned from the DL:

Will someone please do something about Aaron Miles?

Didn't we have a bus driver who said she'd run him over? What happened to her?

I think she got hit by a bus.

I nominate THIS for post of the day.

baturkey said:

Great caption today, Carl.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I nominate this for post of the day.

millertime said:

Why does Obama want to kill my Grandma? I guess Democrats hate old people.

You just figured that out?

This is their revenge for old people not voting for them.

let's be honest. . .we'd all be better off without old people.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

We have a new ad here, I'd imagine it's probably running elsewhere with different Senators, but the website they want you to visit it DoNotLetEvanBayhKillJobs.com

Evan Bayh! You'll not kill my jobs!

Heh.

All these ads are doing is making me less afraid of my government and MORE afraid of the people who actually believe them. There was a lady at a town meeting that wanted Obama to assure here that, once she retired, she wouldn't have to meet with a doctor to decide how she was going to die.

It's people like that that make me think that splitting this country into "Caliornia" and "Jesusland" might not be such a bad idea. .

jtbwriter said:

Afternoon!
Thanks for the laugh, guys...I can't believe-well, I guess I can, how many idiots and morons go to these meetings/free for alls! I'm one of the partially employed/no health ins who's been begging for affordable healthcare for 20 years-ever since my dad died. He had no health care after he was laid off, and his doctor wanted $3000 for an angioplasty. 11 days after he died of a massive heart attack, the VA FINALLY said he was sick enough and could have an angioplasty. Sigh. I only hope enough intelligent people listen and pressure Congress to do something before someone else loses a loved one.
I hadn't heard the one about splitting the country-that's hysterical!

the last 2 games really are not inspiring confidence going into the Phillies series

although we could be playing the Pirates tonight and I wouldn't be feeling confident

I have started to grow very concerned...

This team was beginning to look very good and I really thought they were in position to just run away with this division. But with Aaron Miles back, and most of the starting rotation suffering from some ailment, (and the fact the Cardinals are playing lights out right now) my confidence has plummeted in the last week.

It's funny, we were so worried about the bullpen last week, now I'm more concerned about the health of our starting rotation. ugh!

I think the Cubs should hire some sort of yoga instructor to help them get stretched out better before each game to help prevent injuries.

I'm not feeling great about this team, but I'm not panicked, either. St. Louis has been playing the scrubs in Pittsburgh--it's not like they're never going to lose again.

I'm waiting to see what happens when we get home this series and get settled in for a bit.

baturkey said:

This is not a playoff quality team.

I nominate this for post of the day.

I nominate that nomination for post of the day.

summerguy said:

I vote for Gorzelanny to be reinstated to SLOTH!

I object, or deny the motion, or whatever

summerguy said:

Awww... no fun. Only Sloth could fall and throw the ball away from his target.

summerguy said:

And I don't know what the hell is wrong with our pitching staff... but Todd Helton had 11 (that's ELEVEN!) hits in a 4 game series.

WTF

He basically went 3 for 4 in all 4 games.

millertime said:

Anyone watching the Obama town hall meeting?

I'm in the car--so no.

Are crazy people screaming at him about lifeclocks?

millertime said:

Not yet. First two questions have been from Pro-Obama people, some old guy, and a 12 year old girl.

that won't last, its New Hampshire

Sam Brownback is my favorite senator. He introduced a bill to ban human-animal hybrids.

Awesome.

millertime said:

Sweet. Can cross that one off my to-do list.

It is good to know that there won't be any 1/2 man 1/2 chihuahua hybrids in this world besides Mike Fontenot.

So all that money I spent setting up the lab in my basement was a waste?

Just don't tell anyone...

And when you successfully combine a man and a water buffalo (which would be the most awesome creature ever), you can unleash it on the world and we all become its servant.

Just don't tell anyone.

millertime said:

This just in: Obama not in favor of death panels. Hooray!

That's not what Sarah Palin says, so I don't believe you.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Boo! I was just getting my death panelist resume together

millertime said:

Now they got a fatty talking about lipitor. He's got a sweet New Hampshire accent.

Sounds like Obama wants to give everybody Roundy's medication instead of name brand.

Hey, Roundy's medication is chairman approved.

millertime said:

Now for a question from the LADIES!!! Another softball question, about possible medicare benefits being cut. President Obama says No.

The WH has ordered cuts to Medicare (regular Medicare and Medicare Advantage) to pay for some of the costs of healthcare reform -- but cuts to costs don't necessarily equal cuts to services and benefits. It isn't as simple as either side is stating it.

millertime said:

Probably cause if they said how things really worked, everyone would get confused. To quote South Park "Son, it involves simple economics, which means nobody understands".

millertime said:

Republican question!!!! Does Obama support a universal plan, or private companies still having a say?

Obama clarifies the difference between a single payer plan and universal health care, universal being that everyone should be able to have insurance, whether from government or private.

This is more fun than blogging about the Cubs while they lose game after game and look terrible.

I completely agree. God I hate the fucking Cubs.

I nominate that for the post of the day.

millertime said:

Q: How will Obama pay for everything?

Obama plans on paying part of new medicare by taxing rich people. He will basically limit the deductions people making over 250,000 can take.

millertime said:

Finally, someone hits the big question. Will there be "death panels" deciding when to let old people die? Tough issue, and way more complex than both sides make it out to be.

It's not a complex issue.

Once you hit 55, you should die.

Simple as that.

That gives me 21 more years left to live. So we all need to make the most of life now. Stop wasting time posting on this forum and go out and do something!

jtbwriter said:

So I've only got 2 1/2 more years? Good-I have a built in excuse to rock n'roll all night and party everyday!
And guilt the Cubs/Angels into the World Series! :)

millertime said:

That town hall meeting was boring. Nobody even held up a birth certificate and talked about how American they were. Next time they should make sure more angry white people get to ask questions.

My questions...

So, under Obama's health care plan:

1. As a form of preventative care, does Aaron Miles get euthanized?
2. Does the government have to pay everytime Milton Bradley has a hang nail and misses a game?
3. Does the government provide free Gatorade to keep Zambrano from becoming dehydrated?
4. Will the government pay for Milton Bradley's supply of lithium?

1. Yes
2. No, just the fans that bought a ticket to that game.
3. Not after what happened to the machine earlier in the season.
4. Yes, as long as MB promises to pay for his own supply of steroids.

Karen said:

I nominate that for post of the day (Doc at 1:29)

I find it absolutely hilarious that you can't nest comments. I'm sure it is frustrating to you, but it is funny to me.

I assume you'e tried clicking the "Reply" link -- nothin doin?

Dmband said:

It beats the old guy at one of the last town hall meetings that screamed:

"Keep your government hands off my Medicare!"

I was like....huh?

I work in constituent correspondence management for a United States Senator, and you would be surprised (or, maybe not so surprised) at just how god damn stupid the American people are when it comes to government and politics.

Dmband said:

Not suprised. I heard also on a TV show that 1/3 of Americans dont know who we fought in the Revolutionary War. Which reminded me, I once asked an ex-girlfriend of mine who we fought in World War II. She had no idea. I said, "Um...this isnt going to work. Its not you, its me...no wait...its you". She was a Sox fan, so there should be no reason why she is reading this...I hope!

you can't blame people for no knowing who we fought in the revolutionary war...that was like a thousand years ago...and besides, we wiped out the Greeks in that war anyway.

and most Sox fans think that we fought the Egyptians during WWII...that's how stupid they are. Of course, us Cub fans know that it was those damn French that tried to take over the world. French bastards.

Karen said:

I don't even see the Reply link and yes it's frustrating because I look like the dork out here. ok...asking for comments...let 'em fly

Dmband said:

Egyptians....LOL

Ed Nickow said:

Fontenot and Miles
Only position players
With no hits today

Ed Nickow said:

You freaking moron
A comment about Friday
In Tuesday's headlines?

Note to self: Make sure you're in the right place before posting a comment. Idiot. ...