Wherein I Defend a Naked Erin Andrews (sigh)

NCAA BASKETBALL: JAN 24 Connecticut at Notre Dame

It's no secret around here that I'm not a huge fan of Erin Andrews. I'm sure that most people probably chalk that up to jealousy over her looks, and that's probably at least partly true. But it's more than that. I don't find her to be very bright or especially insighful. She often rambles on Sarah Palin-esque explanations that make no sense or asks really stupid questions.

On the occasions I've seen her at Wrigley (usually sitting right next to the dugout), she's spent the entire game texting or looking at herself in her compact mirror, while I strain my eyes to see the game from 148 rows behind her. I suspect this is how she managed to get herself hit in the face with a baseball.

But I think it had more to do with the fact that I've never seen her actually WRITE anything or say anything with any kind of substance. She seems satisfied with her role as sideline covergirl. She dresses to be seen rather than heard. ESPN shamelessly uses her looks to promote their channel, and she has certainly seemed more than happy to allow herself to be used.

Personally, I think Erin Andrews, and women like her (for she's certainly not alone in the sideline bimbo parade) set back women in sports media about 100 years. It makes me sad for women like Mary Carillo, Linda Cohn, and Melissa Isaacsson, who I'm sure had a much tougher row to hoe and are far more interesting to me than Erin Andrews.

Don't get me wrong, most of us who haven't been blessed with her looks are jealous of her. But it's not jealous because guys like her or because she has prettier hair than we do. It's jealousy that she gets to do all the sports-related things WE would like to do, by virtue of nothing more than being pretty.

That aside, I was sickened this week by the "peephole camera" shots of a naked Erin Andews in the privacy of her hotel room. If you're amongs the 10 milllion people who have watched this video so far, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go make a donation to Susan G. Komen For the Cure right now as penance. I'll wait.

Look, if you're a celebrity, it's one thing to let your boyfriend make a sex tape or take nudie photos of you on his phone. If you're that stupid, I'd almost say you deserve whatever you get, and I'm not naive enough to think that you didn't get what you wanted after all. Being shocked and humilliated that such photos and videos are making the internet rounds seems the surest way to make yourself the lead story on TMZ ("I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here," here you come!).

But it is quite another to be in the privacy of your own hotel room, minding your own business, and have some sicko stalker fan stick a video camera up to the peephole of your room and take video of you naked. With all the protesting I've heard over the years about how SMART Erin Andrews is and how Erin Andrews is a LEGITIMATE sports reporter, I would think there would have been more of an outcry from her male fans at seeing her objectified this way. And yet, there's been silence. And a lot of viewings of that video.

No matter how vapid Erin Andrews may be; no matter how much she has exploited her sexuality to get ahead, she abosolutely didn't deserve this. I'm glad to hear that she's gotten a lawyer and is planning on suing the guy who took and distributed the video. I hope she also has him criminally charged with stalking, harrassment, and disorderly conduct. I'd like her to also get a few moments alone in a room with him; God knows she deserves it. And if you went online and looked at the video without every thinking about what an absolute invasion of privacy that is, I hope you inadvertantly downloaded the virus that hackers have managed to attach to the video. For if all you guys respected Erin Andrews as a sports reporter as much as claim to, you would have thought twice before clicking on that link.

No matter what I think, I'm sure Erin Andrews considers herself a serious journalist. This episode, however, has spoken volumes as to how the rest of the world sees her. And, in the end, I'm not sure how successful that makes her, after all.

Ed Nickow said:

It's perfect karma
When voyeurs are tricked into
Downloading virus

I agree with your analysis. But the virus angle is absolutely my favorite part of the story.

hehe you said "ho(e)"

wasn't it linda cohen that albert threatened to beat?

"albert belle", that was supposed to say. one of my all time fav players.

I really have been out of touch, I definitely hadn't heard about this, the whole thing creeps me out, I hope she does press criminal charges

Jeff said:

You media people are such dupes. The video is so obviously staged. Like all women do their hair and makeup butt naked on the corner on a bed away from a mirror--but in clear view of a 'peephole'. This is either a publicity grab by Andrews, a voyeuristic fantasy video shot by an ex boyfriend or some combination thereof. At one point she even flexes her butt in the direction of the camera. When all the facts are known don't be surprised if the 'perverted loser' turns out to be Erin Andrews or someone close to her. Not that she won't throw him under the bus to prolong her 15 minutes of fame..

(rolls eyes)

give me a break. i don't even know how to respond to that.

lawgone said:

I don't understand where the outrage is coming from. Look, I think Ms. Andrews is a good sideline reporter but it's more than obvious that she still got where she is based on her uncommon good looks. She's used it to her advantage and I don't fault her for that - if you've got it flaunt it. The outfits she wears at games clearly show she is willing to trade on her looks. BUT, if you chose that route you have to take the good with the bad and in this case the bad is not really all that bad. I'm supposed to be embarrassed for her and mortified because there is a video floating around of her looking drop-dead gorgeous while curling her hair in the buff??? Come on now. If anything, her celebrity just increased and she will make more money in her lifetime with this video having come out than if it didn't. (And let's not overanalyze what that means about our society.)

As for whether this was staged or not I would like to believe that it wasn't. She's seems a likable person and I'd hate to think one more person on our little planet is a complete douche. Still, there are some things that don't add up. First, the peep hole is rather large and is in direct line of site. It's not like this was somewhere a person is unlikely to look. Second, you would think if one were to put a peephole in such a conspicuous area they wouldn't be bold enough to also film the thing by hand. The whole time there is filming the camera is moving behind the wall. Is she deaf and blind? Third, she didn't have a TOUCH of clothing on. No panties, no towel, nothing. Women in my fantasies curl their hair in the buff while occasionally rubbing their butts as they admire themselves in the mirror, but not in real life. And last but not least, the video is blurry enough that she could have denied it was her if it ever came up. Instead, her lawyers immediately sent out a press release notifying the world of the video. Most people wouldn't even know about it if that weren't put out there.

So there you have it. Obviously I watched it, and you know what? It was great! She looked beautiful and has nothing to be embarrassed about. Er, I mean, I feel so horrible that I watched that. Is that what I'm supposed to say?

Max Power said:

It's a spycam. 'Nuff said.

It's not an issue ofher embarrassment -- it's an invasion of privacy on the highest order.

If the issue was whether she as an issue of being photographed whilst she is sunbathing topless, I'd agree with you. In that example, she takes her chances -- if you don't like paparazzi, don't seek fame. If she filmed herself cavorting with a boyfriend, then she took the risk that the video could get out.

Unlike either of those examples, however, this is something totally different -- you expect a degree of privacy in a hotel room, and the fact that someone DRILLED A DAMNED HOLE IN THE WALL shows that this was not an intentional move by Ms. Andrews. Her crime is that she missed the peephole? Couldn't that be because she didn't expect to have a damned camera in her hotel room?

In sum, this sucks.

yes, because you're morally no better than the sick freak who took the video, and legally, one could make a borderline case that you're an accessory after the fact to staking, harrassment, and disorderly conduct, and that's just for starters. it's not about how good she looked, it's about the fact that she didn't get a CHOICE as to whether or not people get to see that side of her. what, women who are good-looking deserve to be stalked and exploited by sick freaks? stalking doesn't count if the object of the stalking is good-looking? it's the very fact that she didn't consent to it that makes it so digusting. you don't have the right to see women naked just because you want to.

i was gratified to hear a large number of guys on the tv and radio today talking about how disgusted they were that someone did this. i'd like to believe those are the majority of the guys out there.

lawgone said:

Interesting reading comprehension skills being displayed here.

Max Power, I provided several logical examples of how one could deduce that Ms. Andrews MAY have been involved in this. Your reply is, and I quote, "that someone DRILLED A DAMNED HOLE IN THE WALL shows that this was not an intentional move by Ms. Andrews. " Umm, stay with me here Max...if she were staging this to look like she wasn't aware...oh, nevermind.

CubbieJulie, since this is your webpage you should hold yourself to a little higher standard than Max. Where did I say that because someone is good-looking they deserve to be stalked? Please, point it out in my post. I only suggested that what happened is not as big a deal as many are making it and it is hardly the end of the world for Erin Andrews. I'm a big picture type of guy and in the grand scheme of things it's nothing. Where did I say I have the right to see women naked just because I want to? Do you normally put words in people's mouths? And before you question others morals based on one poorly read blog post you had better make sure you live in a glass house.

Since reading comprehension has taken a holiday I will sum up my main point as succinctly as possible. Outrage, repulsion, disgust, sicko; these are all words I've seen used in this minor story. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think words like that should be reserved for real tragedies - like what's happening in Iran for example. Would you use the same adjectives for that situation as you did for the Erin Andrews peephole story? The people dying there might take offense to that. Perhaps you have some thesaurus I don't have access too that holds stronger vitriol for such tragedies. Hopefully, I've made my point by now.

P.S. The guys showing outrage on TV, radio and even in silly little blog posts? I have two words for you: hero syndrome.
P.P.S. This guy must be a sicko too: http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/07/erin_andrews_peephole_video_post.php

Rich Beckman said:

I certainly agree with you that Ms Andrews is the victim of a crime and with luck the criminal will be caught and convicted.

I just wanted to say that when I saw the headline in Google Reader, "Wherein I Defend a Naked Erin Andrews (sigh)", my first thought was "Who's Erin Andrews"? (I don't have cable and I don't know if I've ever heard of her or not).

My second thought was "I'm not sure what the (sigh) is about, but the newsworthy event would be if cubbiejulie ever defends a naked Lou Piniella."

thanks a ton for putting that mental image in my head. now in search of brain bleach.

i'm not sure that a naked lou piniella would be defensible.

MillsChC said:

I will defend her to the extent that long before the entire world knew her as the ESPN hottie, she used to do the studio scoreboard/intermission updates down here for the Braves/Thrashers back when Turner South was still around. She always seemed to me to be very decent/knowledgable as a sports personality while reading baseball/hockey highlights. Yes, I know they have prompters, but you wouldn't know it by her smoothness & style.

And Turner South obviously didn't have the makeup/wardrobe budget that the worldwide leader has, cause she looked totally different back then... still totally adorable, but not as glammed up as she looks now.

It really stinks for her if this wackjob video is for real (I'm still in the staged camp on this one, which is sad as well if that's the truth).

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I must be out of the loop, too. I hadn't heard about this yet. And, for years I've been leaving every blind open in our house, begging anyone to take videos of me washing dishes and vacuuming in the buff, to no avail.

MLBfan said:

nothing like the freedom you feel while vacuuming in the buff

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Just make sure the suction is set for the floor and not the attachments.