Chicago Cubs Headlines for Wednesday

MLB- All Star Game
If you watched the All Star Game last night, you know that the AL won again. If you'd like to know why, I have a one sentence answer for you:

The Cubs' Ted Lilly did not appear.

But being Ted Lilly, he knows how to keep it all in perspective. He's not concerned with the ASG, he's looking forward to the second half:

"It's obviously really special for me to be here, but when you start to think about the second half, that's a lot more important," Lilly said. "We're going to be playing a lot of those division games that are going to be crucial for us.

"This was fun, but now when we get back and get it going in Washington, we have an opportunity to catch the guys in front of us."

And he either forgives or is holding back a reservoir of whoop-ass for St. Louis after they booed him last night:

"I guess you kind of expect that," Lilly said. "This is a great place to play. They pay attention to the games and they are into it and they remember some of the things that go on, so it's all in fun I guess.

"It was great. It would have been nice if we could have won and if I would have had an opportunity to pitch, but it was fun. It was a fun time playing with the guys, and the experience that I got to share with my friends and family was pretty special."

Finally, Old Man Selig wants to change the terms of PED suspensions in the next collective bargaining agreement:

Count Commissioner Bud Selig among those who didn't think it was fair the Dodgers' Manny Ramirez was able to play in the minor leagues while serving a 50-game suspension for a positive PED test.

Phillies left-hander J.C. Romero was also able to rehabilitate in the minors while serving a 50-game suspension at the start of the 2009 season. But Selig said he hopes the next labor agreement changes those terms.

"It's a tough thing," Selig said. "That's a negotiated settlement. But that should be changed. ... A guy should sit for the full 50 games and then do what he has to do to get ready to play."

sigh, its hard enough to defend my team affiliation to the New England fans, and explain why I don't like the DH, but seriously the National League needs to help us all out by occasionally winning an All-Star game

I can't believe I'm going to say this but....

I agree with Bud Selig

Whatever, I know I'm the only one, but I like Bud Selig.

I used to, but I still can't figure out why the leagues don't have the same number of teams, and while I enjoy a series against the White Sox every year there are too many interleague games

I do wish they'd either eliminate or drastically reduce interleague.

he hasn't been perfect. but i think he did a lot to help turn the game around when it was on the brink of failure.

he's made a lot of big changes (like realignment, wild card, etc.) that have not been popular with a lot of baseball purists. the moves did not endear him to a lot of fans. but the fact is, something drastic had to be done, he had the balls to do it, and it has helped baseball. not only that, but he took on the job when everyone else who was asked gave the sport a big middle finger.

yes, he does it with bad (almost embarrassing) presence, and he does a lot unilaterally, but he's made moves that have helped baseball, and I appreciate the work he's done.

I hate interleague play...

I'd be a little more receptive of it if, and only if, every team in the division played the same teams the same number of times...making the schedule balanced for the whole division.

berselius said:

I have mixed feelings about interleague play. All the old AL v NL rah-rah stuff had gone away (which I think is largely pointless) had gone away by the time it was implemented, so I don't really buy that argument. There might be a slightly better way to implement it, but you have to take the bad matchups with the good ones no matter how you slice it. I like the Cubs-Sox series, and I'm sure the Yankees-Mets ones draw in huge $$. As far as the less exciting matchups go, you're typically going to draw just as many fans for a Rockies - A's matchup as you are for a Rockies - Natinals one anyway. There would be less issues with balance if they simply played less games

i hate interleague play. i'd rather the leagues stay separate. if we HAVE to have interleague, i'd rather it just be with the same regional division in the other league only (i.e., always central vs. central, NL central never plays AL west, etc.).

berselius said:

I like some of the things that Selig has done (realignment and wild card, especially), but Selig's big black mark is collusion. He wasn't commissioner then but he and Reinsdorf were pretty much running the show in the late 80s, not to mention being the cheerleader for current team policies towards new stadium building. He's done a pretty good job at making money for himself and the owners, but it's all business. The fans get some the benefits (I at least enjoy the extended playoffs on some level), but the owners would never have done it if it weren't for the huge sum of money that lines their pockets from it.

well, yeah -- but it is a business. should they make decisions that will make them poorer?

berselius said:

True, but it still sucks from a fan's perspective seeing teams extort money out of cities, but that's business. The collusion stuff was simply illegal.

well, i also how they extort money from fans -- don't get me wrong. having to pay to watch enhanced gameday cartoons? retarded. they have a monopoly on merchandise and charge outrageous sums for it. $8 hot dogs. $150 to watch games on the computer.

but. it is a business, and we choose to consume it.

that's supposed to say "i also HATE how..."

thisyearcub said:

Hey flyball:

Any recommendations for these blue crabs you speak of in the Md./DC area?

see, I'm spoiled, in college I'd just go over to my cousin's house and they'd have everything set up, Timbuktu's used to have good crab cakes, but thats halfway to Baltimore, and Mr. Bill's is (I think) where were originally going, but that even further up in Balmer County

if you do find a good place do not, under any circumstances allow someone to talk you into eating the lungs, or the "mustard" don't do, just trust me

millertime said:

I like inter-league play, I just think that teams in the same division should have the same inter-league oppenents. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't play the white sox every year.

I think the bigger issue to address is the DH/non DH thing. I think the AL should get rid of the DH. The whole reason they put the DH into the game in the first place was to create more offense. The NL scores plenty of runs. I just think the DH is unnecessary and unnatural.

summerguy said:

Of course all the "great players" in the NL (coughpujolscough) didn't do shit in the all-star game for the 70th consecutive year.

im really tired of the all star game. the NL is never going to win again so why bother

millertime said:

It's Gonna Happen!

thisyearcub said:

No kidding. I'm just glad the "Pujols ambassador" lovefest is over. Media members' mouths must be tired.

millertime said:

Why would their mouths be tired, is it cause they were talking too much OHHH sex joke. I get it now. Zing.

millertime said:

Kim Kardashian just informed me (and 1,500,000 other people) via Twitter that she lost her passport! What should I do?!?

Well, it's obvious all hope for civilization is lost...

so I'd just end it all now.

why are you following kim kardashian on twitter?

that was going to be my question too, but then i was afraid someone would ask me to explain why i follow karl rove on twitter...

i only follow friends on twitter.

speaking of following people, people who read the red eye are looking for my "fan page" on FB. Eeeek! I guess I'll just give them the LOHO fan page? And then start doing a lot more with it?

me too, except rove and sen mccaskil

millertime said:

Maybe Kim and I will meet someday. It'll be a nice conversation starter, much better than "so, you still getting money for that sex tape?" conversation starter I'd have to use otherwise.

what was funny was in the show (yeah, sometimes i watch the show, and if you have a problem with that you can DIAF), when the sister had some naked photos of herself surface and it was a huge, tearful deal for the family.

psssst. hey kardashian family. we've seen all of your various parts. nobody cares.

what are the odds that you would have more than one sex tape/nudie photos crisis in one family?

good if you're the kardashians. this is why people watch them on TV.

btw--the day after the all-star game is the WORST day of the season. bleh.

seriously

bluergh, 2 days til vacation though

millertime said:

Don't worry, Reggie Bush saved the day by finding Kim's passport. Crisis averted.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

So what should we have for our midday meal: Five Guys or Mexican? Then it's off to Target and then to see BrĂ¼no! Yippee!

im all about the mexican.

oh, food? five guys.

haha, the friend I'm visiting this weekend mentioned that if the weather is sucky for the beach we should just drive to Baltimore for the day, I said "the Cubs are in DC though"

his reply? "can we still get tickets? if its overcast we should go to the game"

I can't decide if he's insane or awesome

baturkey said:

Don't bet on Teddy Roosevelt in the race!

HoboHanson said:

He's so due. Everyone thought he would win the last game at RFK or the first at Nats Park. But he didn't. He fucking sucks. Every spring there is an ad on DC Craigslist for the President Race tryouts. If my job didn't require so much travel, I would set up camp around DC for a year and do that.

HoboHanson said:

Nice! I'm gonna go on Friday and Sunday. Really looking forward to it. Was your friend kidding when they said, "Can we still get tickets?" I think the Gnats are averaging under 10,000 a game this year. "Paid Attendance" is higher. But there is NEVER very many people there.

abe frohman said:

I presume everyone's seen this?
Martinez joins Phillies, put on DL

I still think it would have been worth a flier. (Love the headline, though.)

he's already on the DL?

So I told my little leaguers (60% of whom are White Sox fans) that, if we beat the undefeated team in their league on Monday, I would wear a White Sox cap for the game and party tonight.

Guess who is currently attempting to pick out a white and black outfit?

you are pathetic.

Go rob a liquor store why don't ya.

millertime said:

Barack Obama?

jtbwriter said:

Afternoon all..
I like interleague play, granted the Angels almost always whomp the Dodgers, but it's fun to see a rivalry this often.
Is it me or does Selig look more like a frog each year? LOL!

And I agree-whoever decided to deprive us of baseball for more then one day is an idiot! I can see having the day off before-but couldn't some teams fit in a night game on the Wednesday after?

I'm finally done with little league. yay me!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Felicidades! Did you get a gatorade bath?

nope--i did get pizza and ice cream cake, though.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

The local news reported that one small town near here is considering a ban on sex predators in their parks. The person they chose to interview was a brilliantly articulate young man with a tattoo on his neck, talking about how they should keep the park safe for young kids.

that will never stand up---completely unconstitutional. of course, if you DON'T ban sex predators, parents will actually have to WATCH their children while they play, and that's a total drag. better to just infringe on someone's freedom of movement than to actually engage in active parenting.

people in this country are so stupid.

berselius said:

Get released from jail, live under a bridge!

how much longer until baseball?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I think the ASB is longer than the offseason.

Good news, everybody! Milton says we don't have to worry about his hitting anymore!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said: