Chicago Cubs Headlines for Wednesday

Braves-Cubs
Koyie, you came and you gave without taking

Remember the boundless enthusiasm of yesterday? Javier Vasquez had to go and ruin it by shutting down the Cubs offense in a 2-1 Braves victory.

The Cubs got their only run in the second, when catcher Koyie Hill singled with two outs against Vazquez (6-7, 2.95 ERA).

"He really did have good stuff," Hill said of Vazquez. "He's been one of the top pitchers in this league so far this season, and he pitched a (heck) of a ballgame. That was a good game. Z gives up 2 runs on 5 hits and loses. Just a good game."

I'm not ready to live in a world where Koyie Hill is our only hero. Any other suggestions?

One bright spot was that third baseman Aramis Ramirez had a pair of singles, getting his first hits since May 7. He had been on the DL for two months with a dislocated left shoulder.

That's better. So why was Zambrano out there instead of Dempster last night (note: that link has a picture of a child pointing and laughing at Dempster lying on the ground)?

But the Cubs weren't laughing Tuesday when it was announced Dempster would miss up to a month of action after breaking the big toe on his right foot while jumping over the dugout fence after Sunday's victory over Milwaukee.

OK, maybe they were laughing a little.

"We were healthy for a day," manager Lou Piniella cracked, adding: "Actually, Dempster is sick about this, and so am I. It's something you never expect to happen. Just a freak thing."

Don't feel bad though, this could be the moment we've all been waiting for. Kevin Hart was recalled to take Dempster's place in the rotation!

On Monday night, Kevin Hart the relief pitcher was hanging out at the hotel with his pal Presley, his German shepherd pup, making plans to head back to the minors. But by the time he woke up Tuesday, they were back in the big leagues, and Hart was a starter.

''It's a roller coaster of emotions, that's for sure,'' said Hart, who was optioned to Iowa, only to be called back a few hours later to take injured Ryan Dempster's spot in the rotation. He has a 1.59 ERA in four relief appearances for the Cubs.

That's all the interesting stuff I'm finding. I guess with a late game and early deadline, the fearless beat writers didn't have much of a chance to write anything last night. Jerks.

Umbra said:

A roller coaster of emotions, indeed. This is a little suspicious to me. Did Hart put a little grease on the top of the barrier? Did he give Dempster a push?

I like to think he's been playing the long game and psychologically manipulated Demp into jumping.

Max Power said:

My high-school football coach would have just taped the broken toe to the one next to it, and told me to shut my piehole. Methinks Piniella has softened.

ha! thats exactly what my mom said to do the first time I called her about a broken toe, "just buddy tape, you'll be fine"

Dempster next time break the pinky toe instead

yep. i was in many a gymnastics meet and played many a soccer game with a broken toe (though not the big one).

toughen up, demp!

yeah, he broke the one that you can't just tape and move on

yeah--i can't imagine breaking that one. that's a big toe to break.

thankfully Kevin Hart is around to fill in the gap though

seriously, i would rather Sean Marshall fill in the gap and we just go with no lefties in the pen.

kevin hart has failed me one too many times.

I'm keeping the faith, I will remain a Kevin Hart fan

i think we need to go back to trying to work through kevin hart's mom.

mrs. hart, please. please help your son find another occupation. baseball is just not his thing. i'm sure he's a lovely young man, but he really needs to move on with his life.

Mrs Hart, Don't listen to Julie. I hope you get to go to the game tonight and see your son pitch.

Flyball

Mrs Hart,

Maybe try distractig him with a new love? Someone who lives far, far away from Chicago?

i sat konerko last night.

millertime said:

An baseball team without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Kevin Hart isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Kevin Hart.

millertime said:

I meant "A baseball team". I hate it when I do stupid grammar crap like that.

millertime said:

How do I do quotes?

So much for that second shot at former teammate and buddy Mark DeRosa -- now a St. Louis Cardinal -- that Ted Lilly was looking for this weekend.

DeRosa, who tagged Lilly for two long home runs and a 400-foot double in a spring-training game, in on the 15-day disabled list with a wrist injury.

''That sucks,'' said Lilly, the Cubs' All-Star pitcher. ''I knew he wanted some and I wanted some. It would have been fun.''

my guess is that lilly will still find some way to bean derosa, even if he has to go to his house.

millertime said:

He'll probably make DeRosa play some kind of psychological game where DeRosa goes insane. Hannibal was based on TL.

thisyearcub said:

I'm still wondering why Hart is going to be put in the rotation. The Marshall thing is self-explanatory (can't go with an all-righty bullpen), but I thought the Cubs wanted Samardzija to eventually become a starter? Wouldn't this be a good time to see what he's got?

Hart only started six games in Iowa, compared to 13 for Samardzija. Either way, I imagine the bullpen will be getting some work in today.

you want The Hair over Hart?

I just don't even know what to say about that

thisyearcub said:

I'm just saying, a huge investment was made in Jeff S., and this seems like the prime opportunity to figure out if he can be a starter at the ML level. Maybe him and Hart can split it up.

I don't think I'm any more comfortable with Spellcheck starting than I am with Hart starting.

Stupid Dempster.

summerguy said:

Are we even comfortable with Dempster starting? I sure as hell am not.

but if it is shown that he cannot start then cubdom will rise up against management

Kevin Hart can screw up and it will only upset me

and his mom.

can go with an all-righty pen, and SHOULD, if the alternative is starting Kevin Hart.

thisyearcub said:

Ha, well, yeah I guess anyone technically could do anything, but I don't know of any MLB bullpens that don't have a lefty.

i'm willing to be a trailblazer.

seriously, hart terrifies me. it seems every time he's been out there it's been a total disaster. and no, i'm not looking at his stats. i'm just remembering all the times i've thrown things at the tv and yelled "DAMMIT KEVIN HART!"

Biz of Baseball has a really good story on the Cubs sale and structuring of debt for the deal.

It's really quite disturbing. I wouldn't want to buy the team with this restrictions...even if I had the money.

Biz of Baseball story

We haven't really talked much about this, but it looks like a bidding war for the Cubs is in the offing:

"Despite closing in on an agreement with the Ricketts family, Tribune Co. continues to discuss a deal for the Cubs, Wrigley Field and other assets with a group led by New York investor and former Chicagoan Marc Utay, said two people familiar with the negotiations.

"They are not as far along as the Ricketts family but are making quick progress," said one person, who did not want to be identified because the sales process is ongoing.

The competition is an unexpected development, coming after the Rickettses and Tribune Co. forwarded documents on a proposed sale to Major League Baseball over the weekend. That might have appeared to signal the culmination of a of protracted, five-month negotiation. Even the Ricketts family believed it had a "handshake deal" with Tribune Co., said one source with knowledge of the negotiations."

millertime said:

I have an old broom in the closet. Maybe that could be our 5th starter.

*snort*

baturkey said:

The Cubs should just use a 4-man rotation. I know Z would go for it.

Rich Harden's arm would cease to work.

Z would go for a 1-man rotation.

jtbwriter said:

Morning-"Spellcheck"? Why not call Jeff S "Notre Dame" like Regis does?
I have to respectfully disagree on getting rid of "guest conductor" for the 7th inning stretch-'specially after hearing Tom Dreesen not only do a respectable job of it, but then have an entertaining bottom of the inning with Len and Bob. He not only knows when to pay attention to the game, but knowledgably discussed the game with the guys. Since we SoCal fans only get to see the stretch when WGN shows the game, maybe we miss the loser-types, but it is so much fun when we get to see a real fan "conduct'.
Of course this is all moot if the new PTB change things up....but in the spirit of Harry, I hope it continues!

Regis Philbin?

I'm going to start calling him The Hair

How could anyone want to trade Z?

Z sings Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

baturkey said:

What the hell?

"Zambrano also came over to the press box section where the writers and radio broadcasters work, enjoying the view and saying how easy the media has it. A reporter promptly summoned security, and Zambrano left the box without any incident."

see? that's what i mean! i *think* sullivan was joking, but it was kinda hard to tell.

summerguy said:

Dear Mrs. Hart,

Summerguy here. You have probably learned to know my name over the last couple years as I sent letter after letter demanding your son Kevin to hang up the spikes. Being disappointed time after time, I have decided that this is the final straw. I have given him so many many chances that it hurts to think about any of them.

So, I will make a deal with you: If Kevin Hart pitches a great ballgame (i.e. 5-7 innings, 2 or fewer runs), I will not bitch about him being in the majors for one more start/appearance. However, if he sucks it royally like he has always done in the past, I better not see him in a Cubs uniform ever again. In fact, he should just demote himself to single A Daytona. I believe we understand each other.

Thanks,

Summerguy

jtbwriter said:

That's one of the funniest things I've heard of-Z seranading Len and the empty stadium? I take it the "called security" bit is a joke. The hacks in the press box should be honored real talent actually visited their booth!