Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

fonzismile.jpg

Photo Coutesty Chicago Tribune

I can't believe I stayed up to witness the end of that debacle in St. Louis last night. Pitching to Pujols with the game on the line? What were you thinking, Joe?!?! The Cards remain in 1st.

I don't really want to talk about REEDZ's injury today, and he doesn't want to talk about it, either.

Johnson is expected to miss at least a month, the Cubs announced, leaving them without a righthanded-hitting center fielder to platoon with Kosuke Fukudome, who is hitting .179 against left-handers.

Johnson continued to play and flied out in the second inning. He was removed in the top of the fourth and sent to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for X-rays, which revealed a non-displaced fracture on the top of the foot.

Johnson, through a club spokesman, declined a request to address the media after the game.

The Cubs are expected to call up Sam Fuld to platoon with Kosuke, though Dave Kaplan thinks they might recall Jeff Stevens for a game or two, first.

If you missed the game yesterday, the Cubs had a fine time toying with Mike Hampton, unilt Cecil Cooper took him out and ruined everyone's fun. Suddenly, the offense is showing signs of life:

The four hitters in the middle of the Cubs' batting order are starting to click at the same time, helping to turn around a lineup that appeared to be sleepwalking for much of the first half of the season.

Alfonso Soriano, Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez and Milton Bradley have combined to hit .417 on the homestand with 10 home runs and 28 RBIs.

"This is more along the lines of what was expected of us," Bradley said.

The return of Ramirez on July 6 was the beginning of the hot streak, while the move of Soriano to the No. 6 hole also has been a major factor. Soriano, who hit a three-run home run Wednesday in a 12-0 victory over Houston, is hitting .364 with five home runs and 15 RBIs in 66 at-bats in the sixth spot with a .408 on-base percentage.

And finally, SOMEONE gives us some trade rumors to play around with:

The Cubs don't want switch hitter Milton Bradley to give up batting left-handed as an answer to his seasonlong problems from that side of the plate. But sources said one possibility being discussed is limiting him to a platoon role -- if the Cubs can acquire a left-handed hitter who can play right field.

Specifically, the Cubs have looked into the Royals' Mark Teahen and the Marlins' Jeremy Hermida, who were weak blips on the Cubs' radar early last winter before they zeroed in on Bradley in early November.

With barely a day left before the non-waiver trade deadline Friday, the Cubs weren't optimistic either one could be acquired, according to a team source. They're thought to have about $2 million to $3 million of payroll room to work with -- which would be the prorated equivalent of about $5 million to $8 million in full-year contract value.

That's it for this morning, kids. We've got a 1:20 game coming up.

Here is a bit of a headline...from the Sun Times, the Cubs are looking for a (for the 50th time) left handed bat to platoon with Bradley in right field. Mark Teahen of the Royals might be that player. If so, MLBTR thinks the Royals would want a center fielder in return. So Teahan for Patters...oops...I mean, Teahan for Pie...damn...Teahan for (gulp) Fuld. I don't think that's going to happen unless the Royals want So Taguchi.

Another possibility is Jeremy Hermida of the Marlins.

Neither of these guys looks to be much better than Bradley in my opinion. If you want a left handed bat that will bat .250, put Hufflepuff out there.

i agree with the last paragraph.

i want the team to do something fun. remember that year when they got garciaparra at the deadline? THAT WAS AWESOME.

It was cool when that trade was made, yes...

But the rest of that season was just painful.

yeah, and then two weeks later nomar's groin exploded and went spinning off into space and it wound up making no difference in the end. it was fun for about 5 minutes.

that's not going to happen this year.

but, you two, my point is when it happens we collectively peed our pants and ran around screaming. and it was fun.

who cares if it didnt work out? i like exciting news like plane crashes, revelations of political scandals, and gigantic trades.

I was at Strawberry Fields when my friend's husband called to tell me that Nomar was a Cubbie. I did not run around screaming.

There is video of you doing so.

Who wants to play fantasy football?

nope. I'm too anti-social for that sort of thing.

i wasn't talking to you.

But we're going to start putting together the LOHO Fantasty Football League. If you want to play, email me at leagueofherown (at) gmail (dot) com.

Lurkers welcome.

Count me out. I don't know any players outside of the Bears.

Also, I havent even looked at my MLB fantasy team since, like, April.

Okay, let me be clearer. I don't want to hear from you if you DON'T want to play. I only want to hear from people who DO want to play.

I just want to be clear that I do not wish to participate.

And I want to be clear that I am clear that you don't want to know that I am clear about not wanting to clearly participate.

jtbwriter said:

I'm in....but your gmail is refusing my email! sob.
I'll try sending it from home.

Sigh (rolls eyes):

"Steve Bartman, an accidental icon of Chicago Cubs futility, is getting thrust into the spotlight once more.

ESPN announced Wednesday that it has commissioned a one-hour documentary on Bartman, the Cubs fan whose attempt to catch a foul ball late in Game 6 of the 2003 National League Championship series was cast as some kind of catalyst in the long-hamstrung team's eventual collapse that year.

The revisiting of the Bartman incident and a look at its ugly legacy by Alex Gibney, writer-director of the Oscar-nominated "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" and the Academy Award-winning "Taxi to the Dark Side," will be part of ESPN's "30 for 30" series.

According to ESPN, Gibney will attempt to answer the question: Can Bartman ever forgive Chicago?"

thisyearcub said:

Unfortunately, this will never end.

I would like to see a documentary on wA) hy Dusty left his rookie pitcher in the game when he was clearly shaken and started to lose it and B) why Alex Gonzalez can't field a #$%@*#$# slow grounder to short.

I thought this shit would have been settled when Alou unequivocally said "I wouldn't have caught the ball."

Christ, give it a rest people.

Unfortunately, Alou has said contrary to that both before and after that said statement.

As far as I'm concerned, I just don't care about any of it, or any of the participants on the ordeal...focusing on it changes nothing. We need to look at the future, and as long as Bartman, Gonzalez, and Alou aren't anywhere close to the field for the playoffs this year (which I believe is safe to say), then we shouldn't focus on this stuff. And with that prior statement, I am not placing blame on any single person...I just don't care anymore about 2003.

its all anyone ever asks about, and then when I say many Cubs fans recognize that it was Dusty and Gonzo that actually effed up they look at me like I just told them that the Atlantic Ocean doesn't exist

jtbwriter said:

Morning all!

Friends, if I can get past the f####n Red Sox for 1986, we all can get past 2003. And why is Barfman getting another 15 min?

I too watched the debacle in St Louie-greatest town in the universe (snarf) and Kemp was playing too shallow. Sigh. Poor Weaver the flake didn't deserve the loss or Kershaw the nd.

However, at least the Cubs whomping of the 'stros was fun-except for poor Reed. Maybe the rest of the team can take out their angst on the 'stros today too! And it'll give my Mom someone to yell at until the Dodgers play.

thisyearcub said:

Stevens back up to take Johnson's spot on the roster.

That better be a short term thing...because only having K-Fuk play in center is not a good thing.

millertime said:

Anyone else on this site use Firefox? My browser if formatting things strangley. Everything is left aligned.

you're left aligned

Kev621 said:

Ok, so I'm giddy like a school girl, my son is at his first game in the bleachers today!! Guess I'm a bit jealous too!! lol

Nice! I'm also jealous!

Kev621 said:

he's texting me to let me know how good of a time he's having..."warm, sunny with a light breeze, beautiful women, etc. It's awesome. These are like the perfect seats!"