Passed Along Without Comment

Ahem:

And now for another potential Cleveland deal to watch: For all the weird talk in Chicago last week about some kind of fictional rift between Mark DeRosa and Lou Piniella, we've been hearing that the Cubs have kicked the tires on a deal that could bring DeRosa back to Wrigleyville.

For one thing, the reason the Cubs traded DeRosa in the first place had nothing to do with any "rifts." It was because they'd have had to play almost an entire right-handed-hitting lineup if they'd kept him, and because they needed to move salaries to fill other needs.

But by late July, DeRosa would have only about $2 million left on his $5.5 million salary. So we're guessing the Cubs might be allowed to take on that kind of money. That's still unclear, though, given their ownership issues.

Finally, we know the Cubs have been doing some preliminary poking around for a bat. But because they aren't sure where they'd play that bat, they've been asking about what one exec they talked to described as a "DeRosa-type player," with enough versatility to be moved around as needed. But nobody fits that description, obviously, better than DeRosa himself.

Let fly, kids.

MillsChC said:

Sweet.

Apparently Milty has been benched.

MillsChC said:

So... after reading that article, I switched over to MLB Network just for fun to see if they had anything about it on their ticker. Forgot that they have a live game on Thursday nights, so I tuned into the game just in time to hear Bob Costas talking about fans in the stand texting people and he was using phrases like "BFF & LOL"... ugh I don't want to know Costas knows about this shit, let alone hear him say it.

Agreed. That's like when I found out my dad was on FB.

Awkward.

millertime said:

Sweet. Lets trade Soriano and Bradley while we're at it.

i say we package up all our really shitty players and see if they'll take them for derosa and kerry.

we should offer them heilman, fontenot, gregg, and miles.

and while we're at it, someone go find out what kenny lofton is doing.

millertime said:

Maybe we can trade Lee to the Marlins.

Lets trade Aramis to the Pirates.

Send Harden back to the A's.

jtbwriter said:

Nothing on MLB yet...but with the Sox this weekend, don't you wish the deal could be swung today?!

millertime said:

Lets sign Ryne to play 2B. Get Mark Grace back at first. Jenkins will take Harden's spot in the rotation. Maybe Greg Maddux will close for us? Stick Banks out at SS. Send out Williams to play left. DeRosa can play 3B.

now i think you're mocking me.

this is why i didn't comment!

millertime said:

I just don't see how trading for DeRosa helps this team. I know, DeRosa is a good player, and Upgrade at 2B over Fontenot, plus it would be a stop-gap for Aramis at third. I loved having DeRosa on this team. He's a stand-up guy. I just think we're good enough without him. We sold DeRosa high, why give up a king's ransom to get him back when we don't need him?

Trading to get DeRosa back would be a popular move, but I honestly don't think it's the right move.

i don't care if it's derosa or someone else. i just want a middle infielder who hits over .275.

MillsChC said:

If DeRosa were on this team, he would single-handedly drive in the runs needed to squeak out 1-run wins in 3 out of every 5 games.

Fontenot: .223
Miles: .203
Blanco: .233

DeRosa: .270

See where I'm going with this?

Even when Aramis comes back, we're still going to be stuck with sucky Fotenot at 2d.

The main reason I was pissed when we traded DeRosa was because I didn't think we had anyone else good enough to start at 2b. And we still don't.

kiwibob said:

The reason I'd like DeRosa back is because of the flexibility off the bench.
It means, when the team is healthy (if that ever actually happens again) then DeRosa can fill in different spots while giving everyday players a rest.
Players like Soriano for instance.
I just think that flexibility leads to fewer injuries through the season and less need for players to play hurt.

mooooooooooooo

Umbra said:

Don't mock us Wisconsinites.

Unless you don't enjoy cheese, brats, or beer.

Milty is benched? I'm confused