Monday Headlines

Charro is seen exiting a medical building in Beverly Hills
Charo says, "Way to go Cubs! Coochie coochie coochie!"

Yesterday, the Cubs destroyed then reaffirmed our faith in humanity and the bullpen, beating the Reds 6-3 in 14 innnings:

The Cubs made a winner of rookie reliever David Patton (2-1). Angel Guzman, who is moving up the bullpen depth chart, earned his first major-league save by striking out the final two batters in the 14th.

Wells was the hard-luck story again, despite turning in his fifth straight quality start. He worked 62/3 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 runs. He's 0-2 with an ERA of 1.86.

Setup man Carlos Marmol failed again, walking the only two batters he faced in the eighth before getting yanked by manager Lou Piniella.

Aaron Heilman came on and was tagged with a blown save after giving up a game-tying sacrifice fly. But the Cubs have to be concerned about Marmol, who has walked 27 batters in 27 innings.

And kudos to the Fonz for hitting the go-ahead home run:

Both teams squandered numerous opportunities to win, and it wasn't until Alfonso Soriano's solo home run off Mike Lincoln ignited a three-run rally in the 14th inning that the Cubs took charge in a 6-3 victory.

"I don't know where Soriano mustered the strength to hit the ball into the center-field bleachers," Piniella said.

Randy Wells responds to cubbiejulie's skepticism:

"I feel a little more comfortable with my day-to-day routines," he said. "I go out and throw earlier or hit earlier. I'm not so timid to just sit in front of my locker anymore. But as far as getting comfortable here and thinking I've got a guaranteed spot the rest of the year, it's never going to happen.

"I can't say that for my career, but mentally I think it works to my advantage to know that I've got to go out and prove something every time I go out there. It's helped me throughout my career, ever since I started pitching. As long as I've got something to prove and I pitch with a chip on my shoulder, I think that gives me the added mental edge I need."

And Rich Harden continues his string of bad luck:

Rich Harden's Sunday rehab start for Class AAA Iowa was backed up to today because of a stomach virus.

Lou speaks on Zambrano's retirement speech:

Manager Lou Piniella, however, said he believes Zambrano is telling the truth, at least for now.

"I like it," Piniella said. "We'll see how he feels next week."

Will Piniella hang on for the rest of his contract, which runs through 2010?

"I think he's going to retire before I do," Piniella said with a laugh.

And Ryan Dempster has more on his mind than baseball these days:

Shortly after Ryan Dempster and his wife, Jenny, welcomed daughter Riley into the world on April 1, they learned their daughter suffers from DiGeorge syndrome, a rare congenital disease that prevents her from swallowing and digesting food.

Dempster has commuted to Childrens Memorial Hospital over the last seven weeks as his daughter undergoes procedures to keep her alive while she learns to swallow on her own. After initially asking the media to respect his privacy and not mention Riley's health scare, Dempster decided to speak about the subject this weekend.

secdelahc said:

Wow. Good luck to Dempster and his family. Hope everything goes well.

Umbra said:

I don't know why people are reacting badly to Zambrano's retirement. He's not doing it so that he can turn all of the money given to him by the fans into nickels to swim around in like Scrooge McDuck. He's doing it so that he plays a bigger role in his daughters' lives. Won't someone please think of the children?

Furthermore, it's five freaking years in the future. That's not an indication that he's giving up on this season or phoning it in until then or anything. He was asked a pretty silly question and he gave an interesting, heartfelt, Carlos-Zambrano-like answer.

dude, if I could retire at 32, I would, ok maybe not because I'd probably be bored, but still it seems like a nice idea

i think, given the way this season has been going, the phrase "i don't want to play anymore" just sounded. . .bad. i know what he meant, but i can't help but wonder if something a little freudian slipped in there. instead of saying "i don't want to play after my contract ends" or "i don't think i'll want play after that," he said "i don't want to play anymore."

i'm sure it was just awkward wording, but it seems almost like he's saying that in the present.

maybe he doesn't. i think if i played for this team, i'd be ready to quit. but then again, i am a quitter by nature.

remember when sandberg quit midseason because he couldn't take any more bullshit? yeah, i can see that.

Good for Z. Hey, Barry Sanders did it (albeit for different reasons), and he doesn't seem to have any regrets.

not being able to swallow -- that's weird. Now that Thomas seems to have abandoned us, do we have any doctors around? How does that happen?

I also don't understand why that kind of shit happens to people who seem like good people. Why can't bad things happen to crooked CEOs, child molesters, and Celine Dion?

does it seem to anyone else like athletes have a much higher incidence of kids with weird genetic diseases?

i wonder if anyone has ever studied that?

I think you just hear about it, although I'm happy that everyone respected the privacy of his family and didn't say anything.

has he been going on all the trips? I would not blame the guy for shaving a day or 2 off some of those

Maybe the study should be more along the lines of players who take supplements (or something a little more destructive) and them having kids with genetic defects...because I bet there is a connection.

I'm not implying that d-lee or dempster take steroids, but I would think that there could be some undesired side-effects of even the "legal" supplements that almost all these players take.

i've often wondered if there's a correlation between steroids and spina bifida. there seems to be an inordinate number of NFL players with children with that particular issue.

I really hope that bullpen is buying Wells dinner or a round of drinks every night

J Pep said:

I can't believe Wells hasn't taken a ballbat to Marmol's car yet.

whoa, everything is right aligned

or maybe centered?

or maybe centered?

since i haven't really been paying attention, how is marmol doing this year?

oh my GOD. im looking at the offense statistics -- are you fucking serious?

geo is barely above the mendoza line?
NOBODY with 40+ at bats is hitting over .300?
theriot is the best hitter on the team?
aside from k-fuk, NOBODY has a good OBP?

what the fuck happened to this team? you don't just forget to hit overnight. god dammit now this shit has just pissed me off.

GD, it'll be ok, you just have to let go of all the hopes and dreams you had for this team 2 months ago and embrace the feelings of non-expectation that we used to enjoy as Cubs fans

I decided 4 weeks ago that the season was over, and I'm much happier now

Yeah, but I never had any hopes and dreams about this team.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

GD, as for Marmol's stats, he's 27 IP, 14 H, 12 R/11 ER, 1 HR, 29 K... It all looks great until you get to that 27 BB in 27 IP stat. 3.67 ERA, 1.52 WHIP. If he were only walking 4 per 9 IP, he'd be at 12 BB, which would be less than 1.00 WHIP. He just needs to throw strikes. He's also hit 5 batters.

Angel Guzman, on the other hand: 27.2 IP, 17 H, 7 R/7 ER, 2 HR, 8 BB, 25 K. 2.28 ERA, 0.90 WHIP. 0 HBP. I heard on the radio yesterday that he's now gone 12 straight appearances without allowing a run.

marmol has hit 5 batters? in less than 30 innings, I hope he doesn't have to bat this season

even charo doesn't look like she's fully into our "coochie choochie." she's kind of phoning this one in.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I'm not even sure how I ended up with Charo. There weren't any pictures of yesterday's game, so I started typing in random words related to celebration, and one of them returned Charo. I couldn't help myself.

it IS kind of funny though---we're so upset about our team being 3.5 games out a month before the all-star game. heh.

I'm not upset by the record, but I watched Saturday's game, and it was sloppy sloppy baseball

Yeah, see, that's it. This team was supposed to dominate. Instead they have flaccid bats, shaky pitching, and a ridiculous number of injuries. This team should be 5-8 games up, not any amount of games back.

those are hopes and dreams, or at least expectations, you must let go of those, enter into the universe of low expectations, and understandings of failure

you are wise, grasshopper.

summerguy said:

So Cubbiejulie... we had our rematch on fantasy baseball and we tied... yet how do I get the win and you get the loss?

because ESPN fantasy league hates me? because you rigged the league?

cubby23(eric) said:

If it's been asked already then ignore the rest, what happens to the old site? Does it fall into the internet abyss?

Oh, and yesterday's game was mind numblingly long. I feel bad for Wells, he deserves to have at leas 1 or 2 wins already. He's pitched far better than I expected.

Ramirez is swinging a broom, so he's hopefully ahead of schedule and in this division if they can get him back healthy by mid-July, and still be within striking distance, then I'm optimistic.

we'll still keep the site around for a while, but only the ed staff will be able to get to it. we'll probably use it as a text editor if we need it.

smwojoz said:

Speaking from experience, I totally empathize with Demp. My oldest son was 13 weeks premature and weighed 1 lbs 7 oz. The neo natologist told us to not expect a miracle. They said he'd have serious complications, setbacks, infections etc. The mental toll it takes is immeasurable. Everyday for 85 days I went to the hospital for 2 hours before work. I would then spend at least 2 (usually they kicked me out after 4) after work. I watched my son stop breathing daily. I watched his heart stop beating weekly. I watched him recover from an eye infection and a double hernia surgery. I watched as he developed 2 hemangiomas. The one on his lip was so large he couldn't take a bottle. He screamed in pain when he tried to drink, and it eventually ulcerated. Luckily they were able to repair everything. He never did get the mental delays they warned of. Though he does have a few minor physical issues. While its happening, you just do it. You plug along everyday, trying to get to the end. Only when its over do you look back and say: "Damn, how did we ever do it?" Now imagine spending huge chunks of time away from the little one. I can't. Demp, be strong brother, and trust those that are taking care of her. It's all you can do.

my little leaguers once again beat the pants off the other team (20-5). this should portend a Cubs victory tomorrow.

Ginger Russ said:

I can't believe you slandered Andy White on your podcast, cubbiejulie, for shame (is this not the place to be posting this?)

how did i slander him?

Oh LMAO!!!!

Hee hee hee.

It's not about DeRosa--I'm not one of the people who thinks the DeRosa deal was a bad one. I just think it would be nice to have him on our team right about now. My love for him has nothing to do with it.

Andreas Blanco sucks. We can talk again when he hits the Mendoza line.

it won't let me post a comment over there. probably rigged so i can't defend myself.

a) at least quote me properly: it's Rich Harden that has the spectacular ass, McDreamy has spectacular PECS; and b) if they weren't real and they weren't spectacular, i wouldn't need underwire to cry into.

summerguy said:

Makes sense.

BTW, you totally raped me in that trade we made last month.

which is odd considering how raped i felt at the time.

summerguy said:

want to just return each other's player?

no thanks.

summerguy said:

haha. Can't blame a guy for tryin!

MillsChC said:

While watching other games tonight, this question popped up:

In ballparks that have a special "Bring your dog to the park day"... do the fans there hafta spend the last 4-5 innings or so navigating puddles and turd piles while walking around the seats and concourse?

i've always wondered the same thing. i have no desire to bring my dogs to the ballpark.

Max Power said:

I think anyone who has been in the men's bathroom in the bleachers around the seventh inning on a hot Saturday has already had to try to avoid those dangers.

I've seen things in that bathroom no man should have to see.

Ginger Russ said:

Fixed that comment thing. Let's see if tonight Andy White can break the illustrious Mendoza.