Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

White Sox-Cubs
Wednesday's highlight
So the Cubs stunk up the joint offensively in losing to the Sox, 4-1. Shall we relive the shame?

They had runners on first and second with nobody out in the second, but couldn't score as Reed Johnson's double play slowed the momentum.

Then they put runners on first and third with nobody out in the fourth, but Derrek Lee, Geovany Soto and Johnson couldn't find a way to help Ryan Theriot negotiate the final 90 feet.

The Cubs went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position, which looked suspiciously similar to recent White Sox efforts.

So Lou has a new exciting plan in place, right? Something that's going to turn this team around today and for eternity?

''It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to start making some tough decisions and get different people in the lineup,'' Piniella said after his team managed only five hits and an eighth-inning run Wednesday in a 4-1 loss to the White Sox. ''I mean, I've been real patient with it, but I tell you, it's getting to that point.''

Piniella was short on details of a would-be shakeup, saying, ''We'll see.''

And Gordo tells us just how bad it's getting:

The spiral accelerated so fast Wednesday that the bottom of the fifth literally lasted less time than it took to retrieve a cup of coffee from the dining room about 40 feet from the press box.

The Cubs are still eying Pedro, though to what end, none of us knows.

According to an Associated Press report from the Dominican, Martinez, 39, said Wednesday that he has talked to the Cubs and Tampa Bay Rays and ''there's a good chance I'll be signing soon, but there still isn't anything firm.''

...

He was said to be seeking a $5 million contract as recently as late April. Even a prorated version of that kind of deal could be hard to fit in the Cubs' payroll. But any sign of injury to the starting rotation could add urgency to the Cubs' interest.

And a bit of good news for the faithful: Aramis Ramirez is progressing in his rehab.

Aramis Ramirez will begin taking batting practice in the next few days and could begin his minor-league rehab stint by July 1 or 2. Ramirez has been out since May 9 with a dislocated left shoulder.

"We haven't rushed him," manager Lou Piniella said. "He has gone through the full gamut of treatment and exercises. He's going to be as strong as possible. I don't think I've ever played with a player with a separated shoulder."

Ramirez is expected to spend at least seven to 10 games during his rehab stint to get back his timing. If all goes well, he could return for the final series before the All-Star break, against St. Louis, or the first one after the break, in Washington.

I think Lous should reverse the batting order, then take 2 random guys from the bench (I don't know, whoever orders lunch first) and trade them into the lineup

that would be mixing it up

Lou's way of shaking things up?

Put soriano in the #3 slot in the order for 2 days and then put him right back at leadoff after he goes 0 for 9.

Don't expect anything more than that.

I like my plan more, I want the pitcher to lead off

Jack McDowell said:

Gee after reading all of these ideas, I wonder why our manager has to step across party lines to calm every northsider down???!!! can't wait for my free Coors Light!

if i have to buy it for you, i'm going to use the change from the bottom of my purse.

i think we take the 5 WORST hitters on our team and bat them at the top--from worst to best. then we fill in the last 4 spots with guys from the bullpen--including the bullpen catcher.

Damn sox folk...getting all over confident now...

We have our best offensive force playing today...the switch hitting power house known as Z.

Oh God, please get well soon, Aramis. Your fighting cocks needs you and so do we!

That just doesn't sound right.

So I've heard it mentioned on the radio that the reason they have not officially announced a makeup day for Tuesday's game is that the Cubs and Sox might be trying to work out a day/night doubleheader a week from sunday, where they will play a game at each stadium...The Cell in the afternoon and Wrigley in the evening.

I wonder if there is actually any truth to that rumor.

Oh---and my little leaguers lost last night. :(

That doesn't bode well for us today.

Perkins said:

Soriano basically needs a few days off. He's been abysmal for the last month or so and his knee is fucked up. I have to admire his dedication, but probably he could use some rest.

And I think Pedro would be a better option as a pinch hitter than Aaron Miles. Then again, one of my cats could probably get results similar to Miles.

Oh yay--Sam's parents are back in Transformers II. They were so funny in the first one.

I can't wait for Transformers to come out.

Perkins said:

Also, as much as I stand by my opinion that Ozzie Guillen comes off like a world class asshat, it was pretty fucking rad that he was wearing one of those "Ozzie Mows My Lawn" travesties being sold outside Wrigley, just to call out those folks for being dicks.

Agreed. What's up with all the racist t-shirts, lately? It's disgusting.

Perkins said:

To be fair, I first saw them on a Cardinals fan, and the name was Zambrano, but I think there are just a lot of dumbasses in every fan base. It just seems like the ones in the Cubs, Yankees, and both Sox fanbases can be a lot more flagrantly dumb and douchetastic.

i just don't remember seeing all these racial references on t-shirts until the last few years. when did this become okay?

Perkins said:

I dunno. Maybe people think they're emulating Carlos Mencia...or one of those other comedians who deals with race but is actually funny and talented (like Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle). All the same, it just says that the wearer is a trashy human being, so whatever.

the thing i love about both dave chappelle and chris rock (but especially chappelle) is that he's really commenting on race by making fun of racists.

clarence bigsby is my favorite person EVER.

Perkins said:

Yeah, that's the thing. The joke's ultimately on the people who suck. Rock and Chappelle are both very smart, though, whereas Mencia is just a poser who pretends to be Mexican so he can crack "beaner" jokes. He's a fucking travesty.

i will admit that i thought the stereotype olympics were hilarious, though, especially when the white guy won figure skating.

that's the only funny thing i've ever seen him do.

the shirts at Fenway got so bad they now have restrictions on what you can wear in the ballpark

I should qualify that, the swearing on the shirts got so bad, not so much the other thing

yeah--i've always seen the swearing, but the overt racism seems to really have blown up over the last few years.

it makes me angry.

agreed

someone mentionned Pedro in the bullpen in the last thread.

seriously? do you really think pedro is going to slip anonymously into a long-reliever role?

please.

Perkins said:

Well, at this point it's that or slip anonymously into retirement.

maybe we could turn him into a kick ass closer? how hard does he throw these days?

he HAS to be better than gregg.

Perkins said:

I'll bet he can at least change speeds well enough to be deceptive. I certainly don't have a problem with the Cubs signing the greatest pitcher in history, especially since they're wasting a roster spot on David fucking Patton right now anyway.

well, yeah. i think pitching is the least of our problems, but it's hard to argue that pedro wouldn't be a huge upgrade from 90% of the bullpen. it's just hard to me imagine him being happy there. and when pedro's not happy, no one is happy.

then again, i can see pedro grabbing miles and fukudome and banging their heads together. that might be worth is right there.

Perkins said:

This season is giving me the warm and fuzzies remembering 2004. I'm still holding out hope that it'll be more like 2007 and they play out of their minds after the AS break.

no kidding.

i was so jealous of twinks fan on saturday--they really LOVE the guys on their team. i wish i had someone to love.

Perkins said:

I love Zambrano. At least as a ballplayer. He's one of the best I've ever seen, and he's always crazy fun to watch.

well, yeah. i love zambrano, too. but he's only out there every fifth day! i want to love someone like they love joe mauer!

join the Koyie Hill bandwagon, its fun

Perkins said:

Well, he also gets some PH appearances, so technically he's out there more. I was a big Marmol fan until he started walking a batter per inning.

As far as position players go, I really like Aramis Ramirez; he's always been quietly professional and has worked his ass off to improve his defense and overall game since coming to the team in 2003. Yet a lot of people have ragged on him for not running out ground balls, despite his having had quad injuries. He's a damn good ballplayer. I like Soriano a lot too, but he's a very streaky hitter, and defending him during a prolonged slump (such as now) is a hard sell to a lot of Cubs fans. But he shows a lot of passion for the game and seems to love playing it, even with all the bullshit he deals with. Also he can hit baseballs very very far.

i like aramis, but i don't LOVE him like you LOVE that player who always comes through. he's just not that. . . flashy, i guess. he's not that comfortable in the spotlight.

i hate to say it, but i miss having someone like sammy. or even kenny lofton.

Perkins said:

To be fair, though, Aramis does always seem to come through. He's the one guy on the team I'd want at the plate in a do or die situation. Soriano would come in second; they both seem to smash a HR exactly when it's needed. Hell, Soriano has won about four games for the Cubs this season alone...by which I mean a late inning go-ahead HR. Obviously he didn't win it alone.

yeah--you're right. i guess what i mean is that aramis isn't the guy who's goinbg to put the team on his back when they're down. he's much more comfortable flying under the radar. i think he's at his best when someone else on the team is unconscious and you don't really notice what ramirez is doing.

anyway, i don't get to love ramirez right now.

Perkins said:

I think that, at this point, he wouldn't be that big of a deal. He's gone half of the season without a contract; maybe he'd just chill out. And if not, well what the hell else could go wrong, anyway. He can't be worse than Kent Mercker.

there mere mention of kent mercker still makes steam come out of my ears. he was a total waste of space.

Pedro in the bullpen? he would cost a fortune and I don't think would do that much good

Perkins said:

I dunno, at this point he'd probably be cheap (it's only half a season anyway), and the Cubs wouldn't have to give up any prospects, which they would for Huston Street or some other talented reliever.

sigh, I thought I was done with Pedro

plus the clubhouse is definitely not large enough for his entourage

abe frohman said:

When does the Twins' new open-air ballpark open?
That may be the drop-dead date for the Cubs to stop sucking and blowing, or abe might pack up his photoshop and head to Minnesota.

are you making threats?

that's unwise of you.

abe frohman said:

or kerry wood. or mark grace.

Umbra said:

Pedro to the rotation and Randy Wells to the pen?

Ladies and gentlemen, your new closer: Randy F'ing Wells.

this just in: u.s. soccer REALLY needs to get it sorted.

boo.

boo.

BOOOOOOO!

you don't let kaka and robinho run all up and down the pitch! $*!@$#@$!##$@$@#@$@#!#!

where the heck is pmayo when i need him?

abe frohman said:

SOMEONE's got to motivate these guys.
ESPN 1000 last night was actually floating the idea of firing Lou. typically, i'm not a fan of the 'you can't fire 25 players so you fire the manager' solution, but have you listened to Lou the last week?
'i don't know what to do. i've tried it all. i have no idea. what do you want me to do?'

that's not exactly lighting a fire under anyone's ass, Lou.
i'm not saying Lou should be fired. i'm not even to the point that Hendry should be gone. But a little cage-rattling might do someone some good.

what made Lou Lou was the fire in his belly. now all that's in there is beer and deep-fried objects slathered in melted cheese.
the one thing i can't tolerate is the lack of effort, the lack of even a glint of a chance of a spark of a will to win.

oh, and aaron miles. i guess there are two things i can't stand.

lou's not a dragon, you know.

abe frohman said:

maybe Lou should be a dragon.

maybe next time we should hire a dragon. i bet no one would slump, then.

abe frohman said:

will someone tell me when US Open play resumes?

after 11:00.

Perkins said:

What sucks is that pretty much everything that could go wrong with the offense has. They've been in freefall for a month. No reasonable person could have predicted that Bradley would hit so far below his career norms, or that Soriano would slump for this long. Or that Soto's power would suddenly vanish. Or that Fontenot would be that bad against lefties. Okay...maybe that one. But this is like "Homer at the Bat," when Darryl Strawberry is the only one not to have a horrible calamity strike him.

And Aramis Ramirez has missed most of the season to this point. That hurts more than all the rest.

this makes me think of griffey's giant head. and this makes me laugh.

abe frohman said:

Mattingly! What did I tell you about those sideburns!?

hee!

"What about Clemens?"
"Sir, he's in no condition to play!"

*bawk, bawk, bawk, bawk!*

Perkins said:

``Unless, of course, my nine all-stars fall victim to nine separate
misfortunes and are unable to play tomorrow. But that will never happen.
Three misfortunes, that's possible. Seven misfortunates, there's an
outside chance. But nine misfortunes? I'd like to see that!''

thisyearcub said:

A lot of the racism started with the "Horry Kow" stupid crap, and has now moved onto the "(insert Latino player's name) mows my lawn." Sad, and even sadder for the dumbfucks that buy this crap.

Not the biggest fan of Ozzie, but I agree, that was awesome that he went out and purchased one, then wore it to the press conference. But some Cubs fans are apparently so dumb they won't figure the meaning of that.

Also, I'm going to go with "The Mad Real World" as my favorite Chappelle sketch. There are so many to choose from though.

Perkins said:

I'm a big fan of the Racial Draft, Samuel Jackson Beer, and the Wayne Brady show.

"What's this? Mr. Franklin's looking a little lonely...is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?"

thisyearcub said:

Very true ... The Wayne Brady Show is when Chappelle went from "good comedian" to "comedic icon." I'll never forget watching that for the first time ... was just blown away at how well that was done.

thisyearcub said:

Carlos Mencia is also a joke-stealer.

hope you have a lot of change in the bottom of your purse, julie. sorry, i'm'a thinkin jack is winning this bet. boooo

oh ye of little faith.

didn't you hear? lou is going to shake up the lineup!

abe frohman said:

But is Lou a dragon?

he says not.

what do you want me to say?

and by shaking up the lineup, Lou means he's going to take Fontenot and shake the crap out of him like a bad nanny to a baby.

uh, this team sucks.

but they suck with gusto!

abe frohman said:

no, they don't.
that's the problem.
there is no gusto.

Lou is a dragon...but only in the off season when he hangs around his friend Jackie.

thisyearcub said:

OK, if someone can go in and publish my game thread, it's up. I don't know why I can't.

And just as a preview, prepare to be underwhelmed by Lou's "lineup shakeup."

surprise