Chicago Cubs Headlines for Monday

Indians vs. Cubs

The Cubs offense and bullpen finally came through for Randy Wells, getting him his first ML victory in a 6-2 decision over the Indians. Randy thought it the perfect Father's Day gift for his dad, but there's a snag:

"It was a long time coming, but it's really special," he said. "And to do it on Father's Day, I couldn't ask for anything better. I don't even know if my dad watched the game. I think he was playing golf today."

I guess it is dad's day to do what he wants, but go golfing early and be home in time to watch your son pitch. Am I wrong?

Jake Fox is finally getting the chance to play, and proving that it's been a long time coming:

Fox had a sacrifice fly in the fourth to give Wells a 2-0 lead and added a two-run double in the fifth to make it 6-0. More important, he hasn't looked bad defensively at third.

And for more on Fox, we'll go to our favorite feature of Headlines,  What Did Lou Say?

"Fox looks like Brooks Robinson over there at third base," said manager Lou Piniella, whose team has won four in a row to improve to 34-31. "I tell you what, the young man swings the bat."

And more from our favorite non-dragon on the state of the resurgent team:

'I've said all along, once we get to where we want to be [health-wise], we'll play good baseball and be more competitive,'' Piniella said. ''Whether we're there yet, I don't know, but we will get there this summer, and we will be in a pennant race.''

Now the focus is getting third baseman Aramis Ramirez back from a dislocated shoulder. He's expected to return around the All-Star break.

''Once we get to that point, we'll make a much better accounting for ourselves,'' Piniella said. ''I'm not going to change from what I've said from a month ago.''

It's been mentioned that Angel Guzman went on the DL, with Kevin Hart called up to take his place. But there's another minor injury, this one to REEDZ!:

Reed Johnson is experiencing back soreness, something he also went through last season. Johnson had back surgery in 2007.

''His back locked up on him,'' Piniella said. ''We don't think it will be a long thing.''

Last year Johnson missed two weeks with back spasms, but it was because the Cubs played a long stretch of games in stadiums with artificial turf.

And Mark DeRosa's disappointed he didn't get to play Saturday:

Mark DeRosa on being injured by the Cubs' bullpen phone: "It's going to take an immovable object for me not to face Ted Lilly with the wind blowing out."

Umbra said:

Good headlines, Carl.

Randy Wells now has as many wins as LaTroy Hawkins and Scott Eyre.

(raises hand)

i volunteer to rub REEDZ's back.

thisyearcub said:

Another save for Gregg. Sucks for Wood to implode, but it looks like the Cubs did the right thing. I'm not sure Wood has another two good years in him. At least both sides handled it with class.

he'll be back, in some capacity

thisyearcub said:

Oh, I'm sure. I could see him as a spring training instructor or something. It definitely wasn't fun to watch this weekend when he was out there (esp. Sat., wow), but it makes Hendry look like he knew what he was doing.

And FB, you've got a confidence streak going? I like it! Still a lot of baseball to be played, and this weekend was just a glimpse of what this team can do when firing on all cylinders. I'm not even mad at Aaron Miles right now, that's how good I feel.

I'm trying to drag up the feeling that another disappointment is just around the corner, but I can't, it being suppressed by optimism, I'm not used to this feeling during baseball season

this little winning streak has me gaining confidence in the team, I gotta be honest that freaks me out a bit

nothing in that series convinced me that gregg is a better closer than kerry. one series in which kerry was probably nervous and emotional vs. kevin gregg and all the times he's blown it out there?

in a tough spot, i'd still take kerry every single time.

thisyearcub said:

I never said better. I've always maintained the two are a wash, with Gregg's numbers actually being better this year. Gregg had three more blown saves than Wood last year, and now Wood has two more than Gregg in 2009.

All I'm saying is looks like Hendry made the right move. He's getting the same closer (actually a little better) for $6 million cheaper.

i don't know. i'm not sure how reliable Gregg's stats are, because it seems like we only but him in posititions to succeed. how many chances to save has he had versus kerry?

the stats may not bear this out, but it feels like we put kerry in a lot of situations we wouldn't DREAM putting gregg in, because we're all afraid of what he'll do.

it's probably just years of loyalty, but i trust kerry far more than i trust gregg (which is not at all).

what happened to guzman?

thisyearcub said:

Strained right triceps

and he was pitching so well. figures.

thisyearcub said:

I know, right? And I've never been impressed with Kevin Hart, but we'll see.

just wait, he'll win everyone over

Hey---who wants to hear what Steve Phillips has to say about the Cubs???

No one?

Well, here you go anyway:

his points:

ramirez being out hurt the cubs
the cubs should get a real second baseman
the cubs could really use mark derosa right now.

hey yahoo sports, you can't put ibanez on the "not hot" list when he's on the DL! jerks!

thisyearcub said:

Wood has had 12 chances.

Gregg has had 13.

A team's closer does nothing but get chances to succeed. That's how it was with Wood too. Very rarely did he come in in non-save situations.

i will admit that i'm not watching the indians this season, so i have no idea how kerry has done outside looking at his stats. but it seems like gregg has been abyssmal. it's hard for me to imagine kerry being that bad.

as far as chances to succeed, i feel like lately we've been putting guzman and marmol in the tight spots. but perhaps i am wrong.

i love it when you look up all my stats for me. any time i need to know a stat, i'll just direct a controversial statement in your direction. lol.

thisyearcub said:

Hey, no prob., especially when it backs me up.

I have no idea what you're watching, but Gregg has been anything but abysmal. I mean, he had one bad game against Houston, but come on. 2-1 with a 3.66 ERA and 11 of 13 saves? I'll take that.

Last four games: 2-0, 1 save, 0.00 ERA, 0.82 WHIP.

And again, all this for $6 million cheaper.

it seems like we were yelling his name and while throwing things at teh tv a lot this season.

am i the only one who remembers this? i'm starting to feel like i live in an alternate reality. does anyone else thing kevin gregg sucks?

glover is GIVING AWAY the US Open.

also, i forgot that david duval was alive.

thisyearcub said:

So it looks like the "DeRosa in Piniella's doghouse" was just rumormongering.

DeRosa spoke with Cubs manager Lou Piniella before the game, putting to bed rumors that Piniella wanted DeRosa out of town. "That was completely a made-up story," he said. "Never once did we have a problem. I actually enjoyed playing for him, and a lot of guys did.

"He's your manager. He's supposed to be able to yell at you and then five minutes later come up and pat you on the butt. I'm not a guy who needs to be coddled. I like being challenged, and he's that type of manager."

I think there's no question DeRosa will be on the move come trade deadline, will be interesting to see where and what is ponied up for him.

i never really believed that. the rumor over the winter was that lou adamantly DID NOT want derosa traded.

yikes, phil. i could have made that putt.

jtbwriter said:

Morning all!

Love that the Cubs won despite my not being able to watch them (LOL!)-So Cal fans have to make do with the MLB updates and gameday...sigh. On "Capt Crunch"-Gregg's a good egg-but I just don't see him as the "on the line" guy-I hope I'm wrong. Considering the arson squad the Angels have...sigh Has anyone noticed that since Lou said he's not a dragon...the team is "on fire"... I still say we need to have a t-shirt.....

we totally need a "not a dragon" t-shirt. i'll get max on that in the cafepress store.

this is what i mean about gregg. if it was like game 3 in atlanta in 2003, i'd much rather have kerry out there than gregg.

thisyearcub said:

2003 Wood? Hells yea.

2009 Wood? Him or Gregg would be fine, either way.

2008 Wood, i guess.

perhaps i am mistakenly thinking that is the same as the 2009 wood. quit trying to change my mind. love is not rational!

summerguy said:

Really? Kevin Hart? Don't we all know what happened the last time he was brought up? Some of us have done a pretty good job of blocking out those memories.

jtbwriter said:

Cafe Press-brilliant! I forgot about them. Re Kerry-sigh. I was so torn watching him on the mound.... I know it's a biz....but I forget.

I want it to look like the "Frankie Says Relax" shirts from the 80s.

Just "I AM NOT A DRAGON." Big block letters. Red on Blue. Someone please make.

i really want it to have a really angry picture of lou's face

but i can also really see the humor without words, hmmm. i need time to consider this.

we all saw that the black eyed peas manager punched perez hilton in the face, right?

jtbwriter said:

I would pay to see that little jerk get his clock cleaned-he makes Rex Reed in his heyday look nice!

jtbwriter said:

But enough about bad dye jobs-what happened with the Cubs/Braves?