Chicago Cubs Headlines for Friday

MLB: APR 13 White Sox at Tigers

Nice rug, doofus

So, in case you slept through yesterday, let's get you caught up: we might finally have an explanation for Geo's spring weight gain, "Hiking the Appalachian Trial" is the new black, and Farrah Fawcett picked the worst day of the year to die.

Now then. Shall we proceed?
Following a sweep by the Tigers (sigh), Lou revisits the "fire in the belly" issue, without all the fun dragon quotes:

DETROIT -- With the Cubs struggling to keep their heads above water and fans growing increasingly impatient with an underachieving lineup, Lou Piniella finds himself at a crossroads.

While he remains one of the most popular Cubs managers in recent memory, Piniella is having to defend himself against the observation he has lost the fire that has been part and parcel of his personality since his playing days.

The criticism bothers Piniella. And now he can't say unequivocally he will be wearing a Cubs uniform in 2010, the final year of his contract.

"I still have fire," he said Thursday morning in an interview with the Tribune, hours before the Cubs' 6-5 loss to the Detroit Tigers. "It's more under control. The amazing thing is when I was younger and I showed it more, then I'd be criticized at times, 'This guy is showing too much [fire].'

zzzzzzzzz. Hey--look for the 2009 "I AM NOT A DRAGON" t-shirts, available soon on LOHO.

Just curious as to, at what point, we can say signing Bradley was a mistake? Not in theory, but in practice? I'm not sure we're there yet, but you can see "signing Bradley was a mistake" from here:

DETROIT -- Lou Piniella sat Milton Bradley against the Tigers on Thursday and said he probably won't play Friday against White Sox right-hander Jose Contreras .

"Let's just call it a day off for today," Piniella said, adding Bradley will play Saturday and Sunday.

Rest assured, Bradley is being benched.

He's hitting .205 against right-handers with 30 strikeouts in 117 at-bats and .327 vs. left-handers.

So much for getting a lefty to balance out the lineup.

For some reason, the Trib has deemed us worthy to know their infinite wisdom on an all-city announcing team. Len, Bob, and Pat all make the cut. Poor Ronnie.

Chris De Luca gives us the best news of the day: it looks like the Cubs are hitting a bit better under Von Joshua (has anyone else noticed that Ronnie calls him "Van?"):

Joshua was promoted from Class AAA Iowa and served as the White Sox' hitting coach before being fired in May 2001. His style is to keep things as simple as possible.

''I don't feel any pressure or tremendous challenges,'' he said. ''My whole thing is, if you take a fundamental approach, and you have good balance and rhythm, then you should be successful. What I could see was a lot of guys were not getting themselves into a good hitting position.''

Joshua spent a big chunk of time Thursday working with struggling center fielder Kosuke Fukudome, who had arranged weeks ago to have his personal hitting coach from Japan join the team in early July.

''I'm all for it,'' Piniella said. ''Look, we can bring in the whole Japanese hitting academy if it's going to help him hit. It doesn't matter to me. I welcome anybody that helps anybody here.''

Okay--that article really didn't live up to the headline. I want stats, De Luca, stats!

Oh, and hooray--Aaron Miles has fluid on the elbow! Looks like we won't be seeing him for a few days. He might even go on the DL! Fingers crossed, everyone!

Cubs at Sox at 3:05 today.

millertime said:

I am so lost!

thisyearcub said:

Just because you're losing, doesn't mean you're lost.

are you in Waukesha? I always get lost there

thisyearcub said:

Milton Bradley must have done something to Paul Sullivan when he was a child. I just wonder what.

It's all pretty amusing. You're winning, Paul. Do you.

that was a little snarky, but .205 against right handers? might as well kept Pie out there

I can't wait to see Ted Haggerty on Oprah.

Oprah: So what are you most sorry for? Being a hypocrite?

Hee.

thisyearcub said:

Wow, that is beyond frightening. Like if John Wayne Gacy morphed with Satan.

canopygrl said:

That is wrong, very-very wrong

thisyearcub said:

Thriller is by far the greatest album of all time, but I forgot how good Dangerous was.

MJ was the man.

can we make a little room on that bench next to Bradley for Soriano too?

new t shirt idea

Front

I am NOT a dragon

Back

but I still have the Fire

lmao.

i love it.

someone needs to design it, though. i want the "I AM NOT A DRAGON" to be like "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX."

'your butt is mine. . . . "

stuck in my head.

Lou just looks so done to me. I think all the craziness that started this season just sucked the life out of him.

canopygrl said:

It the Cubs, they can suck the life out of anything!

hehe, true enough

I'm still annoyed with this Geo thing, seriously, why risk it?

like i said in the Michael Jackson diary, it just tells me he really didn't take the WBC all that seriously. if that was the case, why wasn't he in camp?

grrrr.

I think it shows that he's not taking the Cubs all that seriously too

Of these additional tests, the IPA may conduct tests at unannounced times during the off-season (i.e., the period not covered by the Section 3.A.1 definition of the championship season); provided, however, that any off-season tests shall only be for the presence of Performance Enhancing Substances. The IPA will determine how many tests to conduct during each off-season to serve the purposes of the Program, but shall not conduct, in the aggregate, more than 375 off-season tests pursuant to this Section 3.A.2 during the period commencing with the Effective Date of this Program and ending on the day prior to the first spring training voluntary reporting date for the 2011 championship season, and shall not conduct, in the aggregate, more than 500 off-season tests during each Subsequent Term.

if they can test you why risk it? I know the chances are low, but they are still there

it says off-season tests are only for PEDs.

ok, then I'm less annoyed with him

still, he was cutting it awfully close.

do you get 50 games for marijuana?

I think so

plus, since the WBC can test for "drugs of abuse" and those test results are obviously public wouldn't that be opening himself up to criminal charges, which makes him dumb on a personal level if not professional

eh, you'll never see a criminal charge based just on a drug test. they'd have to find stuff on him to charge him.

but i agree with you. . . i'm annoyed with him, too. i don't care of if he wants to light up in the off-season, but at least come into camp in shape and don't risk a suspension, you idiot.

also, i'm annoyed that he thinks we're all stupid enough to buy his "one time" story.

what-ever.

millertime said:

I think Soto had to say the whole "It was a one time thing". Athletes are supposed to always say the right thing, even if they don't mean it.

When a player breaks a record, they are supposed to talk about how all they really care about is their team winning, and the record isn't a big deal.

Never criticize another player, unless the other player has a bad reputation. T.O criticizing McNab VERY BAD THING. J-Papps criticizing Manny, VERY GOOD THING.

Never complain about money. What's that, you just hit 50 HR and are forced to play for $800,000? Don't complain, or you're labeled a spoiled child.

I just find it interesting how the media expects players to behave a certain way (I play for the name on the front, not the name on the back), even when it means not acting in their own self interest, or not being truthful. And it's all becuase of some stupid "code" that old retired players spew about so that they still feel important.

Also, Soto smoked weed? Bad call, man. Bad call. Lucky this isn't the NFL, and that this team isn't the Yankees or Mets, or there would actually be serious trouble. I'm pretty sure a player for the Royals could kill a fan before an at-bat, and it might make the tail end of sportscenter.

and if the test was after the first day of spring training I'm back to being really annoyed at him because that would be considered during the season

and I think stimulants

tmz is saying michael overdosed on demerol, which was injected in him by a personal doctor who lived at his home, who is apparently now nowehere to be found.

I love that I'm basically arguing myself out of being annoyed

he can't be tested for that by MLB even during the season, unless that have reasonable cause or something, which now clearly they do since he's had a positive test

so its not the smartest thing, but its not awful, Geo we're cool again

they don't test for marijuana? i'm surprised.

hmmm. you learn something new every day.

millertime said:

Anybody know anything about Bonsai Trees? I want one.

thisyearcub said:

They help you learn karate and you can then defend yourself against that Johnny guy who keeps bothering you.

millertime said:

I already swept Johnny's leg, and then made him eat his parents in a chili cooking competition. I play for keeps.

theyre pretty, i know that about them.

millertime said:

Paul Sullivan is just never satisfied. It seems like if the Cubs go out and pick up a big free agent player, Sullivan will talk about how they got the wrong guy not matter what. What did Sullivan say about the Soriano signing? On the other hand, if the Cubs don't sign anybody, Sullivan will probably complain about how management never wants to spend money and isn't committed to winning. The only players Sullivan will like are safe, clean history, past their prime players, or role players. Sign Eckstein, Kendall, or Cliff Floyd, and Paul will be a happy writer. He doesn't seem to understand risk/reward.

Note: I am talking out of my ass on all of the above. It is pure speculation, as I have not done any research into finding evidence to back up my points.

we signed eckstein?

millertime said:

I'm just saying, signing Eckstien, a proven scrappy winner, would be a move Sullivan and other sports writers would love. The scrappy underrated guy teaches his new team that its not about the money (Are you listening Milton Bradley/Soriano/Lee/Zambrano/Ramirez?), it's about heart, fundamentals, small ball, team chemistry, and guts.

i do think there's more to team chemistry than some think, but not as much as others do. i really do think that, in getting rid of Wood and DeRosa, the front officel left this team without . . . something, though I'm not sure exactly what. A team that's solid fundamentally, though, should be able to overcome that.

I just remember in soccer, volleyball . . there were just certain years where our team just clicked. . . and we played better because of how much we all liked each other. How much we all "got" each other. I would imagine that something similar goes on in pro sports. the '85 Bears was a team full of characters, but they just had something that they never seemd to be able to recapture after that season.

or maybe not. baseball isn't like soccer, after all.

so it looks like debbie rowe will get custody of the jackson kids, unless she can be shown to be an unfit parent.

doesn't the fact that you basically gave away your kids to michael jackson inherently make you an unfit parent?

jtbwriter said:

Please say it's true, about lil' David getting traded/signed! His being traded/let go by the Angels was the 2nd biggest mistake they've ever made (Ryan being let go #1 and Garrett Anderson/Darin Erstad let go #3)! If he joins the team...he'll be a great influence on everyone!
I have dibs on an xl of either "Dragon" shirt!