That's All She Wrote

« Isner and Mahut a hit But The joy of a Blackhawks Stanley »

Who will the Cubs and Sox trade?

George Ofman

I know my stuff. 36 years in broadcasting. Sox Cubs Bears Bulls Hawks. You ask, I'll answer

The trading deadline is July 31st and it sure looks as if it will be a sellers market on both sides of town. Judging how the Cubs and Sox have fared thus far, there are a number of candidates who could be sent packing. Here's a list of possible suspects.

You can follow me on Twitter @georgeofman and on Facebook. Plus, catch me on WGN radio.

ChiTownHustler said:

i know kool kenny won't do it but xavier nady would be a nice add to a team that needs professional hitters. lord knows pinella doesn't know what to do with him.

George Ofman said:

I'n not sure Nady does anything for the Sox

George Bliss said:

Sox will not make any trades but, Big Z wants to play for Ozzie.
If Kenny could pull it off, it would be the best move for both teams.

George Ofman said:

Yikes! Zambrano is the last headache the Sox need.

sportsguy said:

I'm hate to Paulie & AJ go, but it the business!

George Ofman said:

Both so vital to the team. But their runs will have to end and it could be by July 31st if not the end of the season.

painhertz said:

Hmmm....Soriano, Zambrano and Ramirez are untrade-able. No one wants Fukodome. Lee won't drop his no trade clause so he's gone at the end of the season. Nady will play 1st base next year for the Cubs after he resigns. Gorz will probably move back to the rotation after Wells gets rocked again. Lilly...need to resign him if possible. So, nobody is going anywhere.

George Ofman said:

I think most of the action will take place in the off season. Nady and gorzelany might get moved but you could wind up being right.

Oak Park Lefty said:

After viewing the photos and reading the analyses from the experts about the Cubs and Sox - the only comments I have are a collective "arf, arf, arf!"

George Ofman said:

Well barked!

Frustrated Cubs Fan said:

I hope to see the Cubs move Lilly as we cannot afford to sign him for another 2+ years, he is past his prime. I would like to see Lee gone as well, although I am very concerned who would replace him in the years to come. Further it would be great to see Fukudome gone and let Tyler Colvin play 100% of the time. Who cares about Tracy, Nady and Baker. I would like to see Theriot gone as well as he can't pull the ball for the life of him and he can't take a walk if he wanted to.

I'll leave the rest of my comments to my post on craigslist regarding my tickets! Simply put, this team is a joke!

George Ofman said:

I don't think Lilly's past his prime though they have to investigate what they can get for him. They might be wise to shop Silva first. And you are right about Nady, Baker and Tracy.

Frustrated Cubs Fan said:

The problem I have with signing Lilly to an additional 2 years is he will be 35 going into next year. I would rather let Sean Marshall or Gorz take his spot in the rotation and save upwards of 20mill. Your thoughts on trading Silva are dead on, although it would be difficult to rid his contract. I really would like to entertain a rebuilding period, but when you have the payroll of the Cubs, it's tough to ditch the high end contracts and begin to rebuild.

Your thoughts on Lou stepping down? I would enjoy seeing this and letting Trammel finish the year off.

George Ofman said:

The Cubs actually owe Silva about four million left for this season and 6 million next since seattle is footing the rest so trading him shouldn;t be as difficult as one thinks. I like Marshall in the rotation but of course, you lose him out of their questionable pen. As for Lou, I don't think he'll be fired no do i think he'll walk awaw though a fresh set of eyes and ears seems to be in order and soon.