Frugalista

Wednesday Flyers -- Jewel Overlapping Cats Actually Through Sunday

Yesterday after my Long March through Jewel-Osco, I happened to look at one of the Unilver coupons I got from the two overlapping Catalina deals. The ad said that one of the promos, the one that says "buy $30, get $12," ended today, but according to the coupon, it actually runs through Sunday, August 9. The other one, "buy $30, get $15," with all the food products, runs through Wednesday, August 12, and is advertised in today's flyer.

That means you have four extra days to work moneymaking double-dip deals on Dove and Degree deodorant, Vaseline lotion, and Suave products. What I'm not sure about is if all the sale prices advertised in Sunday's flyer for the toiletries in the deal will still be good this week. The deodorant and the small bottles of lotion are still on sale for $2.50, though, so that's good.

Pleae keep sharing your stories of hot deals achieved with the combination of these two promotions.

If you don't know what Catalina deals are, see my primer on Wise Bread.

lauraf said:

Just to confirm, I can do the Dove deal today (Wednesday) and still get the $27 in cats?

Carrie Kirby said:

Yep. In fact, you should be able to do it through Sunday.

lauraf said:

yeah!!!!!!!!!! Work has been killer and REALLY didn't want to go to Jewel today. Thanks much!!!

lauraf said:

OK, can't really figure this out, so maybe you can! :)

1ST TRANSACTION:

5 Breyers ice cream (the actual tag said $6.69, but rang up shelf price at $6.50). So, 5 x $6.50 = $32.50 shelf price; on sale for $3 x 5 = $15 my cost less $1/2 and $2/2 = $12 total my cost, got $15 cat = ($3.00) profit!!!!

4 Fannie Mae ice cream pints @ $4.99, on sale B1G1. Got 4, used 2 coups from Sunday’s paper for B1G1, so FREE. (Fully stocked on these which shocked me!)

10 boxes poptarts on sale 5/$5 so my cost $10. Will mail in for the Kellogs fuel for school rebate of $10, so actually FREE.

2ND TRANSACTION and where I got puzzled:

Now, the blogs all said shelf price for the Bertolli 24oz organic sauce was $4.49. So, the deal should’ve gone this way: 7 jars x $4.49 = $31.43 shelf price; on sale $2 x 7 = $14 my cost; get back $15 cat, so profit of $1. However, the shelf price said $3.99, but when I rang it through the shelf price came up at $2.95 each!!!!! So, this is how it ended up:

11 jars of Bertoli pasta sauce (got Vodka sauce, 5 cheese, olive oil…..all diff kinds) $2.95 shelf x 11 = $32.45; sale price $2 x 11 = $22 my cost less $15 cat transaction one = $7 my cost total plus got another $15 cat. Couldn’t figure that one out, but still got cat and $7 was good cuz we use a lot of sauces.

Transaction 1:($3.00) profit less $7 OOP Transaction 2 = $4.00 total cost for 10 ice creams, 10 boxes poptarts, 11 jars pasta sauce. What's the deal with the sauces????? Where'd I go wrong??? ARGH! Also, hearing there's a limit of 2 transactions per day for the $15 cat. Have you heard this?

Carrie Kirby said:

OK, so easy questions first. I haven't heard about a limit of 2 transactions per day. I haven't done more than 2 myself in one day. I did just learn from the blog mybrainisinsideout.blogspot.com that you can "double" these deals, spending $60 on included products in one transaction.
As for why your pasta sauce didn't ring up at the expected price, I don't know. I guess prices can vary from store to store? I'm planning on trying this too and will let folks know what happens.

JenK said:

I had the same thing happen with the pasta sauce...$2.95 but shelf price was higher.

Carrie Kirby said:

I was at Jewel today and figured out the pasta sauce things. The ORGANIC variety is the more expensive price. $2.95 is the pre-card "sale price" of the regular pasta but the higher price you've seen listed online was for the organic. To see the non-Preferred Card sale price, look on the tag BETWEEN the regular price and card price. Regular price is at the top, card price is at the botto, but in teeny numbers in between the two is another price, and that's what it wlil ring up as before you scan your card.
Tricky!

lauraf said:

Ummm....that was lengthy. Sorry. :)

lauraf said:

No, that's the kicker and what I can't figure out. The $2.95 sauce price was BEFORE I even scanned my card. I never scan my card until I'm done to make sure I meet the "shelf price" requirement. After i scanned my card, it was $2 and the label did say ORGANIC. Go figure. Still was great price tho. :) Easy come, easy go. LOL