Kap's Corner

Cubs Moving Towards to Signing Kerry Wood

The Cubs, who have a major need for a veteran right handed reliever are moving towards finalizing a deal with free agent Kerry Wood. Wood, who spent the first 10 years of his major league career with the Cubs spent 2010 with the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees and compiled impressive numbers down the stretch for New York as the Yankees qualified for the post season.

Acquired by the Yankees at the trading deadline, Wood went 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA in 24 games. If he finalizes his deal with the Cubs, Wood should provide tremendous support to Cubs closer Carlos Marmol and along with left hander Sean Marshall will form a very formidable back end of the bullpen.

Wood has made Chicago his permanent home and told me just last week that whatever decision he made about where he would pitch in 2011 had to be a good fit for his family. Being able to stay home and his longtime relationship with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry are huge factors in the Cubs favor.

More to come....

Edelweiss said:

Maybe if they had kept him in 2009, the team we loved might still be together. As it is, the team is a total mess, and, according to Ryan Theriot, has lost its cohesiveness. If Wood comes back, he will be pitching in a void.

Chi86 said:

Kapp did you create this whole Chicago White Sox offering Kerry Wood a contract?? Was it created to allow Cubs fans to trash talk us Sox fans when he picks the more popular team in the wonderful city of Chicago? Either way I am happy for Kerry to be staying here with his family. As a fan it is great to bring back a player who has done some special things here before. But why are the Chicago Cubs spending at all? Why not give some of the prospects the nod?? Example Vitters plays 3rd base, Aramis takes over at first. Instead Jim Hendry signs Pena for $10MM?! Thats just flat out stupid. And I firmly believe Pena will have a rebound season. Pena probably wont see his average increase to much, but should reestablish his home run and rbi's. The Cubs are rebuilding, correct? Then why these moves? Why sign anyone when your main focus should be moving certain someones in Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Zambrano, Carlos Silva, Fukudome,and Aramis Ramirez. All of these players should be delivering out of this world stats for the type of cash they are earning. Good for each and every one of them for cheating the system and getting paid. The saddest thing about how much they earn, is that the cubs cannot move them because of there large contracts and inability to perform and play there respective position at an average level. It's just sad. Sad to see such talent and abilities wasted because of ego's and the wrong state of mind. Soriano may be the worst contract in the game, he is a defensive liability. I've personally been at numerous Cubs games and seen Soriano joking around and smiling at all the girls in the bleachers. When you are making that much money show up to play. It sure wouldn't hurt him to get to the park earlier for extra practice fielding balls in the outfield where he looks lost. Carlos Quentin is worse statistically but at least isn't getting Yankee money! Either way both players never should play defense for any team. Kapp who is in line to be the Chicago Cubs second basemen this season? How about putting Soriano at second? He has played the position before in Texas. Who knows maybe it's to much of a liability to have him getting ground balls and making a simple throw to first. Honestly I believe the Chicago Cubs have as many on field issues as they do upper management. Jim Hendry spends I'll give him that. But he wouldn't have to look to far to see a bum on the street either. Rickett's met his wife at a Cubs game and is in such love with the team blah blah blah. So he proclaims to be the worlds number one fan. So what does he do, he raises ticket prices. Must be nice having money and a silver spoon. What Rickett's knows to be true is that the organization will always make money win or lose. He is taking advantage of just that. Well what about the single mother who calls her two sons into school on opening day at Wrigley field every season for the past 10 years? All of a sudden she loses her job and cannot afford to take her two sons to the game. But still being the great mother who cannot afford tickets anymore still calls her sons in on opening day and watches from there television at home. I will hate on Rickett's for asking the state to fund renovations to Wrigley when he could get the money through revenue and probably his own wallet. We are in a recession. No room for free handouts to those not in need. The Chicago Cubs have plenty of money and I'm sure that the marketing people working under Rickett's and Hendry can find a plan to earn that income over time. I am so glad I have Jerry Reinsdorf and Kenny Williams running the White Sox. Jerry is arguably the best guy to have in your corner in this entire city, the man is Chicago sports. If you don't agree ask Jerry to hold up his hands and show you the championship rings. A much needed thank you for this current off season to the white sox organization would be to purchase those tickets. I wish you all a happy holidays. Go Sox!

willemaze said:

Give me a break!

Reinsdorf is the guy who held up the state to build him US Cellular. And he's still benefiting from the sweetheart lease deal he has on that facility.

Chi86 said:

Reinsdorf didn't ask in a recession willemaze. How do you hate on Reinsdorf?? Because he is the best owner this town may ever see.

cc002600 said:

Reading that long ridiculous post, just reinforces what I've always known. Sox fans are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met.

For him to even meantion how Rickets is a jerk for asking for a measly 200 million to renovate Wrigley but praise Reinsdorf while he has recieved a brand new baseball stadium, brand new basketball stadium and brand spring training facility ALL ON THE TAXPAYER DIME is the most ignorant hyprocritical statement I've seen yet.

But what do you exepct from sox fans ?
What a joke.

mikecubbie69 said:

Heaven forbid anybody say ANYTHING bad about St. Jerry! To hear these people, youd think Reinsdork was the one who single handedly won 6 championships with the Bulls, completely ignoring the fact that St.Jerry was lucky enough to take over the team just as Michael Jordan was in his prime! Or with the Sox in 2005, ignoring the fact that Kenny Williams did a great job putting together the team, but hey, if if wasnt for St. Jerry simply giving Williams the carte blanche to make the right moves........guess Im getting off the track but you get my point!

Chi86 said:

since when is $200 million "measly"?????? talk about ignorance! If you want to talk about ignorance go ask every white sox fan who is on the team guy or girl and I guarantee you that they know far more about there team then Cub fans know there's. Fact is you don't know shit and your pissed off that your team is taking all that money you drunk bum fans spend and giving joke players way more money then they deserve. If you want to over look the facts of the heavy flaws of your favorite team then my friend you are the ignorant one.

Chi86 said:

cc002600 your are absolutely correct about your statement. My point is that it is the wrong economic time to ask for any amount of money. I should have worded it better. I am a white sox fan but I love baseball and love talking it with any fan. I like to push cub fans buttons, its a part of the rivalry for me. I have fun with it. Some people take offense to things others come back with factual statements in which I like. To me that is the fun of the rivalry. But I truly think Jim Hendry is a terrible GM. He spends to freely and is just an idiot. Everyone makes mistake in any sport as a GM. But Hendry is a repeat offender. I'm not a fan of the local guy selected head coach either in Quade. He won games last year when the cubs were so far out of it, is that really a good way to evaluate someone as ready? Sad to see Ryno leave for philly triple A job. Sounds like it was a bad break up, but Ryno will be back some day. And I think Cuban would have had the cubs a contender immediately. Cuban is a guy with such passion and a lot of knowledge. The NL Central is weak Cuban would have made some bold moves and I think some Cub fans still wish he were the team owner.

cc002600 said:

Chi86, we can debate for hours about baseball, and I don't really disagree with much of what you said about Hendry, etc.

The point earlier about 200M being measly is that when you compare it to what most teams receive in public funding to build NEW stadiums (see US cellular and United Center), yes it is measly.

In my opinion, the outrage over Ricketts asking for 200M was ridiculous. Unfortunately, yes it was bad timing, given the economy. But what people seem to forget is that almost ALL NEW stadiums in all professional sports are publicly funded to some extent or fully. We can debate all night whether that is right or wrong, but that's not the point here. The point is that it is fact.

So all he did was ask for a mere pittance compared to what almost EVERY OWNER in all sports has received countless times over and over again the last 20-30 years, but he was crucified for it.

And Reinsdorf the crook, was probably the biggest beneficiary of public funding there is. So that's why I called you IGNORANT.

So when I hear sox fans criticize Ricketts for asking for pennies compared to what Reinsdorf has ALREADY received and has been benefitting from for YEARS, it makes me want to puke.

Get it now ?

Chi86 said:

I agreed with you earlier about it. It was his timing which is why he is criticized. I don't think Jerry is a crook for doing what you say every owner does. Rickets just had bad timing. But hey kerry wood is officially a cub

mikecubbie69 said:

BTW, Im glad to see Kerry Wood coming back!