Kap's Corner

Hendry Says Sandberg is Welcome Back In Iowa....

I just spoke with Cubs General Manager Jim Hendry and he assured me that Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg is welcome to return to the organization as the manager at Class AAA Iowa. Sandberg, who was bypassed by Hendry for the managerial vacancy in favor of Mike Quade is reportedly "highly disappointed" that he was not given the Cubs job and yesterday indicated that he had been offered nothing by the Cubs going forward.

"He is certainly welcome to return to Iowa. We think he did a great job there. This was a very tough decision and one that I tossed and turned over. However, I love Ryne Sandberg and have tremendous respect for him," Hendry told me this morning.

In an interview with Dave Van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune, he said, "I haven't been offered anything," not long after the phone call came informing him of the decision. Not a coaching job on Quade's staff, not his old post at Triple-A Iowa, where he had just been voted Pacific Coast League Manager of the Year.

Asked if he would return to Iowa, Sandberg said on Tuesday, "I don't know. I'm hoping there's something else out there. I'm hoping to manage or coach at the big-league level.I'm just kind of digesting it right now and I have my agent getting feelers out.

This morning when I reached Sandberg at his home in Phoenix he told me "there was nothing offered to me yesterday. I was unaware that they wanted me back until I heard it from you. I guess it is an option. I'm going to take my time and see what is out there."

The next step in Sandberg's development is to do a stint as a bench coach or 3rd base coach at the big league level. That is the usual progression for someone aspiring to be a big league manager...just ask Mike Quade.

IvyChatChuck said:

"I was unaware that they wanted me back until I heard it from you."

Stay classy, Jim Hendry.

So perfect. Hendry is becoming Jerry Angelo and Tom Rickets is becoming Mike McCaskey.

cc002600 said:

There is something about Ryno that Hendry doesn't like. He's full of it. I'm not sure what it is, but actions speak louder than words. He never had a chance. Neither did Brenly or Girardi. Quade is fine, but you just feel bad for Ryno.

Kap,
What is your feeling about Adam Dunn ? Please, please, please tell me that Hendry is smart enough to not sign this one-dimensional clown !! It would be another HUGE waste of money and time.

What do you think ?

joeydafish said:

cc002600, Hendry IS a one-dimensional clown and who he'll sign for how long and how much is a CRAP shoot. He set his own bar with Soriano's deal, anything LESS than that Hendry the buffoon will consider it an improvement.

joeydafish said:

Hendry loves Sandberg and has tremendous respect for him...I'd watch my back if Hendry felt that way about me. How does he treat people he has no love for and very little respect? Push them into traffic? Kap just spoke to Hendry....thank God we have Kap as the ultimate conduit to this genious of a GM that talks out his rear. Why even bother talking to Hendry regarding Sandberg's acceptance back in the organization? What's the fool gonna tell you Kap? That he's NOT welcome back? You got a REAL SCOOP there, we can all rest easy now that we know Hendry's on the job and so is the Lap Dog, I mean Kap Dog.

David Kaplan said:

So Joeydafish....What would you like me to do? Not report on a story that NO ONE else had? Not even Sandberg knew he was wanted back. So because I can get that information that makes me a lap dog? Get a clue.

IvyChatChuck said:

Joey thinks asking the question, "With the job filled, what are your plans for your AAA manager who was a candidate for the job?" is a silly question.

demonopie said:

"genius"

KapStoney said:

I tell you what I'd like you to do Kap. I would like the so called media in this town to push Hendry & Ricketts as to their plan. Quade? Okay a serviceable guy but is he a guy to take the Cubs to the World Series? If not then Why Not Sandberg because if he succeeds elsewhere it will be the biggest blunder in a litany of JH blunders. If this is a growing process why not see if Sandberg can grow and eventually succeed. What happened to the statement that was made in the McDonough era that the Goal was to win the World Series. Is Quade a conduit to that goal? I defy you to find one baseball man to agree that he is. So then what does this mean? Obviously it means wait until all the bad paper leaves the books. How does JH & Ricketts sell that to the fans?

Next the Money and Bad paper. Is Ricketts undercapitalized? Don't you find it unfathomable that he didn't see what the Trib had done with the bloated back ended contracts? Didn't he anticipate that a far amount of money would inevitably have to be eaten? Everyone talks about how payroll needs to go down, yet the WSox have a comparative payroll give or take 10 mil or so, smaller attendance and less revenue streams. This absolutely needs to be explained, I thought the family was going to be completely transparent yet they are running the team much as did the Trib. Has Ricketts ever been questioned by the media as to exactly why JH has been retained? How did JH pass this so called evaluation process. This is what fans would like the media with access such as yourself to ask the powers of the Cubs. If you do not, you look much like a house organ and lose credibility.

joeydafish said:

Wow Kap Stoney, thanks for coming to my defense!! Well said.
Besides Kap you really broke THAT story wide open, a regular WATERGATE!!! Pulitzer should be arriving at your door any day.
REALY??? NO ONE knew Hendry would say that Ryno is welcome back?? PUHLEEZE!!! YOU are calling it a "story" that NO ONE else had...more like no one bothered with. Hendry would welcome Sandberg back...DUH. I mean c'mon, DUH. Now if Hendry told you that Sandberg is NOT welcome back in any capacity because the organization sees no place for him...THAT'S a story. You go Kap Stoney.

David Kaplan said:

You really have no clue what you are talking about. If it wasn't a story why was it covered by BOTH sports radio stations in town? Why are BOTH major newspapers now covering it? Get a clue.

EastCoastCubFan said:

Quade got the job because he was the best man FOR the job. Period. What is it exactly that makes Sandberg more qualified? Because he had a real good game on a June day over a quarter-century ago? Freaking let GO of 1984 already!! You people who bash Ricketts and JH all you want, I'm sure you know SO much more about the situation than either one of them. The bottom line is that REAL Cub fans now have to get behind Quade..he's now the man for better or worse, and you need to accept it. If you're unwilling to do that, if you want to sit around and cry about it, go right ahead. There's 29 other teams out there you can root for.

KapStoney said:

Honestly your statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. How and why is Mike Quade the best man for the job. What is your criteria. Do You think Mike Quade is ever gong to take the Cubs, or even given the opportunity to take the Cubs to the World Series? Any success Quade has over the next 2-3 years will be given over to a "Name" manager a la Doug Collins to Jackson. Sandberg would be given that opportunity because of who he is.

EastCoastCubFan said:

Honestly, it's your statement that doesn't make a lot of sense, pal. What is it about Sandberg that makes him any more qualified? How many years has Sandberg managed ball at any level? How much time has he spent as a coach at the major league level? Everybody with a functioning cerebellum knows the team is at least a few years away from being a serious contender; clearly, the goal for now is to emphasize the development of players within the organization so that the team will reach a point in which it can win consistently without having to sign free agents to Soriano-like contracts. That would be the first time ever that this has happened in this organization. Don't you think a guy who's had about 20 years experience in coaching and player development, as well as experience as a coach at the major league level with the same team, makes the better choice? And how exactly is it that you know that "any success Quade has over the next 2-3 years will be given over to a name manager?" If you're that privy to what goes on behind the scenes, maybe you should start your own blog?

KapStoney said:

Joey It's not really about a pissing match between you and Kap. I like Kap but I also feel he is the closest media figure to the fans. He's fair and is connected. The other hacks / Beat writers worry too much about the limitation of access and Kap really doesn't have to do that.

Bottom line Kap needs to inquire. Think about it, what if the Cubs are in play the kids, let the bad paper evaporate mode and Sandberg goes to Milwaukee or Toronto and finds a level of success. I not a rah rah Sandberg fan but the situation should determine the course. Who was the last home grown Cub to find success elsewhere? Do we really want to relive a Greg Maddux embarrassment? Is it necessary to relive the Maddux embarrassment under the circumstances. Bottom line, no one is pressing for the answers, the plan, why is payroll going down, why is JH still the GM and for me blind faith in the Chicago Cubs no longer exists.

Instead we were treated to a media event yesterday yucking it up about having fun on the field and fishing stories while being presented with an incoherent one of the highest season package in baseball. For once, I would like a media member to ask the tough questions that we the fans deserve answers to and not allow the Cub figure to spin his way out of giving a definitive answer. I thought and still think Kap is the man for the job, he just needs a little prodding.

joeydafish said:

Sure, I guess, why not. Besides with the razor shapr barbs like "get a clue" often used...resistance is futile. None of us fans that disagree with Kap have a clue. We'll just continue to drool and jump off the cliff with the other lemings. The End.

David Kaplan said:

Joey, this has nothing to do with you disagreeing with me. It has to do with you thinking that today's news wasn't a story. I just got off the phone with another media member and he told me that every Cubs reporter he knows was trying to track down Hendry and Sandberg about the story. I appreciate you reading the blog but your hatred for Hendry has colored your judgment. Because you hate him don't take it out on me. Thanks!

joeydafish said:

My apologies. With all due respect I admit my disdain for Hendry may very well have clouded my ability to be civil. With that said I still believe that Hendry saying that Ryno is welcomed back as AAA manager or any other position is not a story when there is no other position Hendry can take. So there is the disagreement you think this has nothing to do with. You think it's a story, I don't. Of course he's welcome back. Even the headline "Hendry Says Sandberg is Welcome Back In Iowa...." got me and all my coworkers thinking "huh"?? THAT's a given.
I'll try to refrain from further mean-spirited comments, considering they would rise from my dislike of Hendry. Sorry.

Edelweiss said:

It's not a question of whether it is a story or not. It's whether it is a TRUE story. Most likely, Sandberg is trying to make Hendry look bad by pretending not to know that he had his Iowa job. He and Hendry probably discussed his future back when Quade was made interim manager.

cc002600 said:

Kaaaaaaap,

What about Dunn? Talk to Jimbo and tell him nooooooo !!!!!!
Please !!!! He's a dog with fleas !!!

Let's move past the manager stuff. Quade is the guy, and that's fine with me. I honestly think this Ryno love by some of these fans is way over the top. Holy cow. I like Ryno too, but just because a guy was a good player in no way makes him a good manager. It's appples and oranges. Please let it go.

David Kaplan said:

Signing Adam Dunn would be a terrible decision. He is a butcher in the field and with a young shortstop who makes a lot of errors and a 3rd baseman who was saved a ton of errors by D-Lee you have to have a solid fielding first baseman. I would look at Carlos Pena or Victor Martinez. I wouldn't take Adam Dunn under any circumstances.

joeydafish said:

I wish Hendry had your take on things, especially when signing Soriano (FOR EIGHT YEARS) who can be described pretty much the same if not worse as you describe Dunn. I don't think Dunn is a possibility considering the lack of funds left available after the disastruous Soriano, Zambrano and Fukodome signings.

cc002600 said:

Kap,
I'm glad you are in agreement with me about Dunn. He's brutal. I could care less about his 40 HR's, if he can't the catch the ball, he's worthless in my opinion.

What do you think Hendry will do ?

Get in his ear !!
:-)

Thanks.

joeydafish said:

Don't forget this man signed Soriano. He does not put all around baseball skills as job one.

cc002600 said:

I know. that's what scares me.

backslap said:

When are all of you guys going to quit the Soriano for 8 years signing was Hendry's idea. I mean the guy has made mistakes (can you say Milton Bradley which everyone saw a mile a way was a disaster)but Soriano getting 8!!!!! years was all John McD. who told Hendry to do waht ever was necessary to sign Soriano who was the TOP FREE AGENT that year....everyone else was offering 5 years at more $$ we threw the other 3 years in at JM directive to seal the deal. We do not go to the playoffs those first two years without the guy don't forget but now its an albatross of a contract that even those who are close to Hendry know he didn't agree with the years. He wanted to pay Soriano more on a 4 year deal but the Tribune company wanted a long term deal because they were selling the club and wouldn't be responsible for the back end and here we are now. Get off the guys case about this already you fools know your facts.

Edelweiss said:

Except for Kap, I'll bet none of you have ever met Sandberg. I did about 6 years ago, and he struck me as being full of hot air. He could be a successful televangelist, and has baseball skills, but I can't imagine how he manages grown men. Being a good speaker only helps him with the press; he is too arrogant to be a major league manager. The Cubs currently don't have the kind of team to attract a top tier manager. They will be improving the team in the 2 or 3 years Quade is manager, and only then will it be appropriate to look for someone like Girardi.

FrankS said:

You spent how much time with Sandberg? And that gives you insight into what kind of person he is and what kind of manager he would be? Give me a break. I think I'd gladly play for a killfile for blogs.

Iowa-Cubs-Hawkeyes said:

The bottom line is all of this is irrelevant. Hendry's errors in the past have put the Cubs in a position where we will not be winning a title or a series anytime soon. So why hire Sandberg now and put him in a position to fail? I'm not sure God could win a title with this team. The team is in shambles and our offense is anemic. With the exception of Dempster, we don't have a solid starter I trust to get the job done day in and day out. Look at what the Giants are doing right now and they have a horrible offense!!! They are taking down one of the best line-ups in baseball with pitching. Instead of going after solid starters, Hendry wastes money signing mediocre position players. Wait... we can't sign top level talent because of what he did with the Soriano contract. So until we can rid ourselves of some horrible contracts, and hopefully our horrible GM, we will be in no position to win. Therefore, I like the signing of Quade. He has earned a shot at managing and if he can do something with this crap team, then more power to him. But I also respect Ryno and loved seeing him manage the I-Cubs this past year. I've respected him since '83 and do not want to see him fail in any aspect, and that is all he'd do if he were given the job in Chicago. Get rid of Hendry, and get rid of Soriano and Fukudome. Then you can free up some cash to actually get players to put us in a position to compete. Until then, we're doomed.

schaumburgfan said:

1. We are looking at the Cubs players so differently because of Lou Piniella. He had checked out last year and he was not so great to begin with. Imagine if he had the same record with the Yankees(make playoffs in the first 2 years and exit in the 1st round). He would be out of there two years back.
2. Hendry is trying to correct his mistakes. The mistake he made was not giving a chance for Sandberg to be a bench coach a couple of years back..maybe a first base coach or 3rd base coach. Now, it is like Sandberg ran a school newspaper and he can become the CEO of the Tribune. It is not going to work.

ImAHawkeye said:

Carlos Zambrano....self-centered head case

Ryan Dempster....has a comment or philosophy about everything, except why he is basically only a .500 pitcher with a super-star salary.

Fukodome....super-star salary...journeyman productivity

Soriano....MEGA super-star salary...journeyman productivity

Coleman and Diamond....if these guys are Major League pitching prospects, I'm Whistler's fricken mother.

Berg, Russell and Mateo...enough said.

And the remaining gaggle of journeymen, excepting only Ramirez (who will be gone after next season), Cashner, Gorzo, Castro, Colvin and the joy to watch Marlon Byrd.

Why would you subject a beloved Cub icon like Sandberg to this? Quade is perfect. He's so happy to be a Major league manager that he would manage a roster of Al Qaida for free....and he'd probably get the same amount of enthusiasm and wins out of them that he's going to get from this lackadaisical band of underachievers.

joeydafish said:

That's pretty funny. Although I think you are being a little to harsh by grouping Castro, Cashner, Colvin and Byrd in the journeyman category.

Edelweiss said:

Those fans who are frustrated with the Bad News Cubs can now follow the acting career of Ryan Theriot. His second step is to take acting lessons in December, while Fontenot is on his honeymoon. He doesn't feel that he needs more than a month's worth of lessons. Next step is to land a guest spot on the Leno Show. (Leno has not yet agreed to have him, but he keeps asking and hanging around the set.) The first step was to have regular gigs on none other than Kaps radio show. Just think...someday the Oscar winner can give one of his many credits to Kap.

joeydafish said:

Holeeeeee Cow! Kap gets made with ME??