Kap's Corner

The Latest on the DePaul Job

I am hearing that DePaul is ready to put up the money to land a big name head coach for their men's basketball program. In addition to a multi million dollar contract proposal for a new coach the school is also investigating a handful of locations that could be the right spot to build a new basketball arena near campus. The Finkl Steel Company is relocating to the south side of Chicago and their current location at Clybourn and Cortland...

Read more »

Roti2000 said:

Come on, Kap! You really aren't breaking any new ground on the stadium issue here. That web post has been cited on the DePaul fan boards for weeks. Do you have any RELIABLE SOURCES OTHER THAN ANDERSON'S POST associated with DePaul that have mentioned the Finkl property as a site for a new stadium?

Anderson's post doesn't site ANY sources. Your post sites his un-referenced post.

I know that blogging is different than journalism, but if you are going to use anonymous sources you need to give a sense of WHY that source is authoritative!

David Kaplan said:

Roti, you really need a lesson in paying attention. I clearly state in the article that in addition to a multi million dollar contract proposal for a new coach the school is also investigating a handful of locations that could be the right spot to build a new basketball arena near campus.I got that from several very good sources. I also state later in the post:
In addition, a recent post in a Chicago real estate blog TheChicago77.com discussed the Finkl property as it relates to DePaul University.

No where did I say that was my only source.

Roti2000 said:

Kap, forgive me if I am skeptical, but the Finkl site, Cabrini Green, and other Lincoln Park sites has been speculated upon for YEARS [e.g. SkyScraperCity forum has posts going back to 2007 addressing the issue].

So until I hear an authoritative, on-the-record source, I'm not going to believe that DePaul has any intention of building something near the Lincoln Park campus!

BupsJones said:

Just let me know when season tickets go on sale for DePaul Basketball at this new arena and I'll be first in line at Marshall Field's to pick up a new Blue Demons t-shirt. Post game celebrations at Demon Dogs!

TT said:

The Finkl site makes the most sense. Any "on-campus" arena must be within 10 blocks so students can easily walk to it. the Finkl & Sons site is 8 full blocs SW of campus. The Cabrini-Green ideat at Clybourn and Division is a horrible idea if the students won't go to Rosemont, they wont go to the ghetto. The Children's Memorial site will be too expensive and the neighborhood wouldn't allow it. Finkl & Sons is the only viable site near the Lincoln Park Campus.

TT said:

Unfortunately Demon Dogs has been demolished by CTA. The Finkl & Sons Co. site is the only site within 10 blocks of campus that is viable.

Roti2000 said:

TT, BupsJones invocation of Demon Dogs was satire. Just like it is impossible to get your Blue Demons t-shirt from Marshall Fields (a store that doesn't exist) and impossible to eat a hot dog at Demon Dogs, it is over-reaching to expect a Lincoln Park arena any time this century.

Dmband said:

Bupsjons

That was hilarious.

GoFire said:

The AD is back on a PR blitz defending the Allstate Arena ...

Were your "sources" inaccurate, has it already been ruled-out again, or is she just covering in case they aren't able to get it done?

David Kaplan said:

My sources are right on the money. They are looking at property but nothing has been purchased yet. This is not like buying a house. It takes time. Time for Finkl Steel to move, time to get the land in shape to build on, and time to wade through the political questions that have to be answered before a new arena can be built. First things first, get a coach hired!

GoFire said:

Thanks for the clarification. Too bad DePaul wasn't able to start this process earlier. Announced and coordinated plans for a new near campus arena could have made the job much more attractive to potential coaching candidates. Recruiting Big East caliber talent with the current state of the program and current home arena situation will be very difficult. I'm not too sure that a major conference quality coach will be willing to take the chance on such a mammoth task.

GoFire said:

In this article, LW says that Purnell mentioned they are moving forward with on campus arena, but that JLP backed off the topic.

Any update from your sources on this process?

backslap said:

Kap:

For the milionth time I asked this question and why no one ever gives me a good answer maybe Kap you could. Why won't DePaul play at the United Center? Its only 4 miles from the LP campus and less then a mile from the downtown campus. You could bring recruit to an NBA first class arena....like Marquette does. It never has made any sense not to and I do not care if you are third tenant behind the Blackhawks and Bulls, you could make it work. No one I mean no one would complain you play at the UC and no one could recruit against your arena the way they do now saying All-State is a dump.