Kap's Corner

The Best of the Decade in Chicago Sports

As the first decade in the 21st century comes to a close, let's take a moment to reminisce about the best and worst moments and athletes of the past ten years in Chicago Sports. Best Team: 2005 Chicago White Sox Only one Chicago team could call itself champions in the first decade of the 2000s, and that team plays at 35th and the Dan Ryan.  The White Sox magical run to a world championship in 2005 erased an 88-year drought...

Read more »

Cubbinstrong86 said:

There was nothing magical about the Sux winning the World Series. It was a god awful nightmare come to life. Worst two years in baseball 2005 and 2006, man was it brutal to be a Cubs fan.

ChollyGrimm said:

Hey Kap, there is still 1 year left in the decade. Other than that, I pretty much agree with what you have said.

*dan bradley said:

Include '00, and that equals TEN YEARS, Cholly. Haven't you noticed everybody and their cousin doing decade lists?

joeydafish said:

Patterson is much more dissapointing than Prior, at least Prior contributed ONE ENTIRE SEASON and helped achieve a playoff appearance. Patterson was athletic enough he was just BAD but not worse than Bradley who forgot how many outs there were in an inning and fueded with his manager and displayed a large chip on his shoulder, none of which Patterson did. Cubs choking in 2003, ABSOLUTLEY. With all this bad stuff said about the Cubs it leads to the WORST executive in Chicago...Jim Hendry. BAD.

cc002600 said:

Hey Kap,
This is a bit off topic, but tell your buddy Barry Rozner from the Daily Herald that I have lost a lot of respect for him. I guess he's too full of himself to take the time to read email from the fans.

Through the magic of certified email, I know that he has deleted the few emails I have sent him without ever reading them. Real nice.

I guess if he's too important and arrogant to read my stuff, I'll be sure to skip his crap in the Herald from now on.

IrishYeti said:

Rozner's snubbing of you makes me happy.

Max Power said:

Good job Kap. Naming Urlacher seems to be a no-brainer, but many news-types went with guys who kissed the media's ass the best instead of the ones who performed the best. You did it right by picking Urlacher. He was the only Hall of Fame athlete to play the entire decade in Chicago. If the Bears had a coaching staff that would have used his physical gifts better, his numbers would have been absurd. Either way, he was clearly the decade's best player in this town. Again, good job on the Urlacher pick.

TracyT said:

I'll be saying goodbye the 00s with Mark Prior and Kerry Wood at the top of my list of Athletes of the Decade, only for the wrong reasons.

I bought into these two as the anchors for the Cubs pitching staff lasting the rest of the decade, expecting yearly contention, Cy Young considerations, domination and the like. Obviously, this wet dream didn't last long. What I got, and millions of other Cubs fans, was false hope, injury after injury, and ridiculous towel drills.

As I enter a new decade I will go into it with a hardened sense of baseball reality: injuries derail the most promising of careers and there are no guarantees for success, no matter how much you spend. Baseball cannot be confined to formulas.

joeydafish said: