Kap's Corner

Take That Cardinal Fans

So, I am watching the Cardinals/Dodgers NLDS game 2 on Thursday night and with two outs and nobody on base in the bottom of the ninth inning I said to my wife and kids that the Cardinals were in great shape heading to St. Louis even in the series at 1-1.

Then James Loney hit a line drive to left and in comes Matt Holliday to boot the ball and give the Dodgers life. Two walk and two hits later the Dodgers were celebrating a most improbable 3-2 win and the Cardinals were leaving the field in complete disbelief. Well, take that Cardinal Nation. You are considered the best fan base in the game and while I respect your passion for your team, your arrogance makes me sick.

I find great irony that Cardinal fans, the same fans that buy Cubs jerseys with Bartman on the back today wake up to the reality that your team is in huge trouble. You have trotted out two Cy Young candidates in Games 1+2 and you lost both games. Then I look at the headline in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch and it says "These Cards are playing like Cubs" and that made me laugh hysterically because they are now dealing with the hell that we have lived with as Cubs fans since the day we acknowledged our fandom.

Here is a replay of the 9th inning from MLB.com  and it includes the Hall of Fame Dodgers announcer Vin Scully on it. What a great moment for Cubs fans to savor because there is no fan base that I would rather see this happen to than the Cardinals, who take great pleasure in seeing the Cubs suffer. They have had tremendous success in St. Louis but that is not enough for them. They wish their city was a world class city like Chicago but that will never happen. Instead, they cling to their pathetic jealousy of the Cubs and their great fans.

Well, welcome to what we Cubs fans have lived with for a long time. Being the butt of everyone's joke. Perhaps you will reget those Bartman jerseys.  My son and I will be wearing our Matt Holliday jerseys. Or should we wear a Ryan Franklin jersey? As your closer proceeded to gag the rest of the 9th inning away despite having multiple chances to get the final out.

Now here's hoping that the Dodgers can finish the job on Saturday.

lindy42497 said:

I have to say that I didn't want to watch the post season as a die hard cub fan but I've now watch the Cards go 0 for 2 and that's really cool. Go bears!

cubneil said:

Kap, you give Birdshit fans WAY too much credit. "Best fan base in the game"? How about, biggest inferiority complex in the game. You respect anyting about Birdshit fans? That's too bad.

Other than that, pretty good article. I hope that Bernie guy stops wasting air that I might use someday.

cc002600 said:

Kap,

I could not agree more. Cardinal fans are arrogant, although no one is more arrogant and hates the cubs more than sox fans. They are still the worst. But I agree, this is sweet. I enjoyed razing some friends of mine who are cardinal fans. They were awfully pissed. Booohooo. Like you said, what goes around comes around. I hope its 3 and out !!!!

IrishYeti said:

A Kaplan post I agree with? What's this world coming to?

--MGb said:

I'm withholding judgement until the Cardinals actually poop it, but beleive me I've got the blog/twitter posts ready in the wings...

cubbiehype said:

David Kaplan said:

Keep chirping. You and the rest of Cardinal Nation think you are so smart. It was sure fun watching you guys gag your way out of the playoffs in three straight games. Now we'll watch you tightwads not pay Matt Holliday and your run will be ovah!

Mike_thoms said:

I love hearing this from someone in the media...you rock Kap! Cards fans are THE WORST.

cubbiehype said:

Just like it was fun watching the powerful cubs with the best talent in the division not even make the playoffs. Oh yeah start the injuries excuses. No one else has any.

KapStoney said:

Kap
A few things that I haven't really heard in the Chicago media in regards to Holliday's EPIC blunder. Can anyone fathom the the reaction if our LF butcher had made such a play in that situation. The suicide watch in the city would be at defcom 10. The guy would need round the clock security for the rest of his life.

On a separate yet somewhat related issue why does your bitter buddy that announces on the south side constantly ridicule the Cubs with his tongue in cheek barbs. Now I know Stone is your boy but wouldn't it be best to just call him out and let him vent as to what really went on between him and the Cub. His passive aggressive approach to anything Cub is extremely annoying and you as a Cub fan broadcasting to Cub fans would be better served just letting him comment on the Sox. Just a thought.

Ryno said:

cubbiehype: "Kaplan, you and your blowhard attitude are why watching the Cubs choke every year is so enjoyable. Maybe if your team ever won anything then maybe your gloating might carry some weight. What's your prediction for Cub victories next year? 97 again or why not go for 100? Let the cubbie hype begin for 2010!!"

An angry Cards fan? lol... don't you have a cousin to marry or something rather than posting here?

Golfsnake said:

Having been a Cub fan for 50 + years, living in St Louis and married to an avid Cards fan, what do you say when the Cub fans won't take their hats off at Busch during the National Anthem... didn't see any Card fans with their hats on!!!! And when other fans challanged them, they just used their middle finger salute.

Ryno said:

... the implication being that Cubs fans are not patriotic? That's a new one.

dougplank said:

Cardinal fans are patriotic because they buy their crystal meth from their neighbors.

cubdruggist said:

Kap,

That article was written with one thing in mind....sell newspapers. If you pay attention to the st louis post dispatch website, if there is a story that in any way shape or form pokes fun at the cubs, that article will ALWAYS be the number 1 emailed story. I just checked and that story was written days ago and it's still one the top 10 list. Drive around st louis sometime and you will see billboards selling stuff with that type of message (My favorite is a Hardees billboard that states "thin burgers are for Cubs fans") The Miklasz (the guy who wrote that article) could have called it "These Cards playing like minor league team", but then they would have sold a whole lot less copies!

Mike_thoms said:

You might recall a few years back some StL writer did a poem about the Cubs championship drought. It was really apropos of nothing too, it was in the middle of the season on some random Cubs/Cards weekend. LaRussa got PISSED at the guy, chewed him out during a postgame and I think refused to talk to him or anyone from the paper for a while

Ryno said:

I think you're referring to the "No Tinkers, No Evers, No Chance" article.