Kap's Corner

Lou Says He is Playing His Veterans....What The ????

So let's see, you manage a baseball team that has gone from first place to 8 games back in 19 days and you have a couple of highly paid veterans who are having terrible seasons. Do you keep playing them in the hope that they will turn things around or do you play the rookies who are producing in limited action and bring a spark to a team that is desperately in need of just that?

I believe that you reward players that play hard and earn the right to be in the lineup and Jake Fox and Sam Fuld have done just that. They both give maximum effort and they both are producing when called on. Yet, Cubs manager Lou Piniella had some interesting comments after Sunday's 3-1 win over the Dodgers, a game in which Jake Fox went 4-4 and drove in 2 runs and Sam Fuld made two tremendous catches. "I said I was going to play my veteran players. They're going to have to get it done," Piniella said. "I'm going to lean as much as I can on my veteran players to see what they can do and how far we can go."

Huh? Are you kidding me? So you see your team has a spark with the younger guys and you choose to play the guys who aren't getting the job done and haven't for a majority of the season? I believe Piniella knows the game and that he is a talented manager but quotes like that leave me wondering if he really wants to be here next season.

Soriano is hitting .157 in the month of August and looks completely lost at the plate. Unless the Ricketts family is interested in eating a huge portion of the 90 million dollars left on his contract, he will be on the roster next year.  So why not take some of the pressure off of him and allow him to only play sparingly the rest of the way?  Or at least allow Jake Fox to see how would do knowing he is in the lineup for the next several games playing left field?

The Cubs, despite what some out there believe, are not headed for a total overhaul as soon as the Ricketts family takes over. With guaranteed contracts and no trade clauses up and down the roster, the makeup of this team is not going to change dramatically between now and next April unless the Ricketts want to add a a lot of money to the payroll to cover up for under performing veterans on big, long term deals.. So find out what you have in the younger guys. You already know what you have in Soriano and Bradley and it isn't pretty for a number of reasons. Quit playing guys because of what they get paid. Play the guys who have earned the playing time.

Kurt Evans said:

It's pretty much par for the Cubbie course that they hang on to playoff hopes beyond all reason. Then again, of their remaining 40 games something like 32 are against teams presently under .500. The Cubs have sucked against winning teams, but as ridiculous as this sounds I suspect Lou and Jim believe they can still compete this year.

Probably a smarter move would be to white flag the season and allow the injured players -- Ramirez and Lilly spring to mind -- a chance to have their needed surgeries a little early in order to better improve their chances of being healthy in time for 2010.

Karry Ling said:

Ted had his surgery, Kurt. And he just told me he'd like to perform one on you.

Ed Nickow said:

Has Lou lost his mind?
Make it fun to watch the Cubs
Let the young guys play

mo said:

Kap:

I watched your show on Chicago Tribune live yesterday.. and I applaude you for you honesty in regards to SOrry Soriano nad Badly, HOw can LOU say, im going to go with MY VETs.. THe Vets got us in this struggle in the 1st place. Phile Rogers supporting LOU's BAD decision on your show has pissed me off show much , I wont ever read Rogers articles or believe anything he says.. Hes such a CUB or TRIB wus man.. He lacks the guts to say the real truth about LOU and the cubs.. The only thing I didnt accept that you said I hope LOU comes back.. I hope LOU never comes back.. HE is the MAJOR reason the Cubs are where they are.. How many times does THeriot have to be on third with NO outs and nobody bunts. This week Fuld walks twice , steals 2nd twice and NOBODY can bunt him to third with NO outs. Sickening. Just like Fontenot missing a bunt on a once a year suicide bunt LOU.. So many games down 1 run and men on 2nd and all we have is strike outs and pop ups. If R, Johnson, or Fuld were batting 2nd where they should be behind Theriot , we would have scored so many more runs. TO NOT hold LOU responsible (Phil Rogers) is a
NOT being a reporter BUT a PUUPET

mo said:

LOU WANTS A FREE RIDE NEXT YEAR. HE WANTS TO BE FIRED SO HE CAN SIT AT HOME AND COLLECT MONEY AND TAKE HIS AFTERNOON NAPS. CUBS FANS PLAESE BOO BOO LOU EVERY CHANCE YOU CAN AT THE BALL PARK. MAYBE HELL QUIT AND SAVE THE CUBS MONEY..

BRING ON BOB BRENLY FOR MANAGER ::: KAP THIS IS THE GUY

Shery said:

For many weeks I have been calling Lou Pinella, Lou Lovey Smith Pinella. That is because Lou is in love with his useless veterans, no offense Lee and Ramirez, just like Lovey was in love with Grossman. No matter how many interceptions he threw or how many bad games he had, Lovey insisted on playing him over and over. Just like Lou hates to take Soriano and Bradley out of the lineup. What is wrong with these Chicago managers? I could put a better lineup on the field every day and believe me when I say I am at the bottom of the baseball expert totem pole. Don't they know that people pay good money to see a game at Wrigley. And I mean a lot of money. I think when a player plays with no effort or makes errors, they should pay that day's salary to a pre-determined charity. I would love to see that added to these players contracts.

mo said:

Well THe DUMBEST manager in baseabll is starting Soriano, Bradly and Fontenot and SOTO.in the same game. I guess LOUY wants to poss off everybody .. LOU has to go .. Man I cant believe his lineups.. He never supports his young guys.. If they do good they sit.. THe H with LOU.. Fans BOO him please.. Even if they beat this BAD wash team, the fact LOU is NOT playing the guys that prevented a sweep by LA is just plain IGNORANT. I REALLY think LOU is NUTS

tom said:

Dusty Piniella sounds just like the previous manager,Perhaps he will look for Neifi Perez to comeback.